Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a 3DO bundled with controllers and cords at a Goodwill about 5 years ago for about $20 around the same time that I saw a boxed Virtual Boy (with 5-6 games) for $25 at another thrift. Only problem was that I was had a serious "I-don't-need-more-crap" phase at that time . . . haven't seen either since :whistle2:(

I did see a few CD-I titles at Goodwill recently (in CD-cases) but they were junk. I searched for a system--no luck. That day I did find and buy a "CD-I Trackerball" in box for a few bucks. I'll try to post a pic soon. I have no idea of its value.

Must be take your kids N64 stuff to Goodwill week. Got them games the other day and now todays stuff.

N64 system, 1 grey controller with perfect stick, cables, expansion pak- $25

1080 Snowboarding- $3

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, WinBack Covert Operations, Tom Clancys Rainbow Six- $4 each.

Nintendo brand controller pak- $2

Grey controller- $4

Asphalt 3D for 3DS- $12 , edit- played one race, its not bad. Thanks to GW and Amazon deals/credit, ive only paid $28 for Asphalt 3D, OOT 3D, and SSF4 3D.

Passed on $2-$4 NES, Snes, Genesis, N64 controllers. Passed on $5 system only Genesis, $20 system only Xbox, $8 system only N64 (thought about it), $20 N64 with "sound problems", $30 NES with 2 controllers and hookups, $45 N64 with 4 controllers and hookups. Also a bunch of sports games. Had Turok in my hand but the girl was like "this has an $8 sticker on it" and she wouldnt do $4 like the others so I passed on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thegreatjuanito']yeah if your luck is anything like mine you wont find any controllers

i've found 3 cd-i's over the past couple years and they never have anything else except for the unit, ill go in and search for 2 days in a row afterwards always ending up empty handed

everyone must really hate the cd-i controllers and sends them to the garbage or something, makes no sense why they are more rare than the system itself when every system came with one

but now that i think about it, it's probably because that system sold the least amount of "extra controllers" so they are not in abundance like the more successful systems

the real easy money is in the controllers, you think you have a find when you get the system but those cd-i's are plagued with problems due to aging[/QUOTE]

So, two days later and I'm in the same boat - no remotes.

It's a shame, really, because the system is fantastic mechanically and includes the digital video cartridge. Just can't play any games at the moment. :)

EDIT: Found hex codes for the CD-i remote. My PSP is working to control it, but I have to be sitting right next to the thing, so it's not very convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
First post on this board! Loving this site! I got lucky and found a complete Cd-I with the gun, Remote control, joypad and a few games at a Goodwill last year for $49 bucks. Price was a lil too much but I had never seen one of these in the wild so I had to get it. Then recently found one by itself at another goodwill for if I recall for $19 bucks. Wasnt able to find the remote for that one and even returned the next day in case it popped up. Here's my youtube pick ups video of the 1st one I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGG3_0fRJuQ

I've only picked up a few 3DO games before. I currently have Drug Wars, Supreme Warrior, and Wing Commander III.

I was that guy at Good Will today.

I bought probably a dozen NES games that I didn't have and left a gigantic stack of nothing but shitty sports games.

Felt good to be on the other side....

Until I saw the stack of shitty Sega Saturn sports games.

fuck

saw a stack of good nes games at a goodwill but they were all $5 a pop, nothing worth flipping and $5 each is too much for some non-rare games to add to the collection,

i did pick up 2 nes controllers $2 each
Sega MS light gun $2
xbox console with monster component cable for $15, turns out it is a modded console, not sure what i'm gonna do with it

Picked up the following for $1 each all complete in the box (genesis):
-haunting starting polterguy
-mutant football league
-wonder boy in monster world

Passed on a green gameboy color for $7

My goodwill used to have Marvel vs Capcom 2 pack figures for 49.99 each, now they are gone. I can't believe someone paid market value for them! I wonder if some scammer convinced them the toys were mismarked.

Picked up :ps2: Indigo Prophecy for $3 and a :wii: LoZ: Twilight Princess Nintendo Power guide for $.75.

Of course I forgot I already had Indigo Prophecy on Steam...
The TP guide is in rough-ish shape but it still has the poster which is kinda neat.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I picked up a copy of Incredible Crisis for PS1 in great shape today from a thrift store up near Cicero, NY.[/QUOTE]

Man I used to LOVE that game! Good times.

Salvation Army
Zelda $1.23

Goodwill
Metal Gear Solid $0.99
Grand Theft Auto 2 $0.99
Sonic 3 $0.99
Pit Fighter $0.99
Ms. Pacman $0.99

DSC01115.jpg

I found a 3DO at a Tampa Goodwill some years back for $15. I've seen many 3DO games at thrift store, especially Return Fire, which I have a few copies of because I've seen it for under a buck. CDI games are a different story, i got my CDI without a controller and 30 some odd games (with a zelda game) on craiglist a few years back and have still not found any CDI games or controllers at any thrift store

I noticed a complete, in packaging PS2 Dualshock controller. I left it, but I thought it was pretty neat to see one in packaging at Goodwill.

[quote name='Tsel']I noticed a complete, in packaging PS2 Dualshock controller. I left it, but I thought it was pretty neat to see one in packaging at Goodwill.[/QUOTE]

Some Sears stores near me have them on clearance, they were $14.99 the last time I checked, a little expensive to pay for something I can find for a dollar at a yard sale. Be careful as there are a lot of fake packaged Dualshock controllers out there where the packaging looks almost identical to the real sony packaging.

Hey guys does anyone know anything about a Concept 4 Racing Wheel for Playstation? There is one at my local goodwill for 7.50 and it appears to be complete in box, is it worth picking up?

From my understanding any driving wheel (from a previous gen system) isn't worth much at all, I wouldn't pay more than a dollar or 2 each for them.

[quote name='smilewinner']Hey guys does anyone know anything about a Concept 4 Racing Wheel for Playstation? There is one at my local goodwill for 7.50 and it appears to be complete in box, is it worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

I have one for my Dreamcast and I like it a lot. Spent tons of time playing Hydro Thunder with it.

Picked up:

Stubbs the Zombie (3-disk PC) - $3.49
Sim City 4 - $3.49

And a lame Clone Wars Anakin Skywalker figure for $.29, but I figured even one of those funny-looking figure molds is worth $.29 when it's still sealed.

Found some games today, just super mario sunshine, evil zone(ps1), and Fable lost chapters.

I found some AWESOME old cameras though. Didnt bite but my mom said I should have. My mom loves antiques and would bid on everything goodwill has if I ever took her with me

imag0119j.jpg

Got these from the Salvation Army Thrift Store today:

Age of Empires II and expansion, CDs only:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

$4 plus tax total

Apple Airport Extreme and purple gamecube controller:

$3 plus tax total

The airport extreme didn't come with a power cord, and I don't have one at home, does anybody know where I can find a cheap one to test if it works or not? Do you think Apple will send a replacement?

Super Nintendo with 1 controller, AV cable and power supple, plus Donkey Kong Country, Disney's Aladdin, and Batman Forever:

$7.99 plus tax total

I was really excited to have spotted the SNES, never had one as a kid! Went home, cleaned it up a bit, and plugged it into the TV and it works! :bouncy:

WOW $8 for that SNES? The 3 GWs I go to would probably price that as
1st store. $50+ bundle
2nd store. $20-$30 for the system and probably $3-$4 per game
3rd store(the good one usually, the rarely make stupid expensive bundles). $8-$15 for the system and $4 per game.

I picked up a game I left last week at the one Thrifty Shopper up near Cicero(NY).

PS1-Tiny Toon Adventures: The Great Beanstalk-$1.99 plus tax

The outer case is beat and there's some scratches on the disc, but it's complete.

So after a month of frequenting my local thrift stores I've yet to find anything at all. Today I had to go visit my parents, so on the way I decided to stop at a few places to see what kind of deals I could find... Nothing amazing, but I did get these:

imag0032y.jpg

Dino Crisis - $2.50
Ratchet and Clank - $2.50
Mario RPG (!!!!!!) - $0.99
Mario All-Stars - $0.99

The $5 bill requires a story...lol. As I was leaving one store, I noticed some money lying on the ground beside my truck; $45, to be exact. I'm not mean enough to just keep it, so I waited by the car parked beside me to see if someone came looking for it. Sure enough, a rather disgruntled fellow exited the building observing the ground, so I asked him if he was looking for cash and how much, specifically. He got it right, so I gave it to him... He gave me the $5 for being awesome. Hah. ...If I had just kept the total amount I would've felt terrible.

But yes! Mario RPG! I love this game, and lost my copy long a go. Glad to have another one, and for such a great price. :applause:

[quote name='Potatoeman']Not amazing? Thats a great find! For most people who go dry when they search for games anyway:p Good finds over all[/QUOTE]

Lol I was feeling underwhelmed at having gone to like 10 stores and only finding those 4 things, but yeah I'm pretty excited about even finding that much. :bouncy:

Dropped by a local Mega Thrift store, and picked up Point Blank 1, 2, 3 (CIB, scratch free except for #1 which has minor scratches). They were supposed to be $2.99 each, but I asked the manager if I can have them all for $6. She let me have them for $5.99 + tax :D.

I never played this series before, and it seems to be better with the Gun Controller, which I don't have. Does anybody know the values of these? They seem to go the ~$10 -$30 range on eBay.

Ah, man. I used to play the Point Blank games at my local arcade when I was younger.

You really need the gun controller for the full effect(if you wanted to play them).

Not sure of the value - I bought a point blank game at a HPB here months ago that came with a lightgun in a big box. It sold for $25 I believe. I know that doesnt help, but hopefully its better than nothin:p

I made a somewhat decent score today, finally.

I got the following:

Project Horned Owl (PS1) - Complete $1.99

Hot Shots Golf (PS1) - Complete $0.99

Shadows of Colossus (PS2) - Original and Complete $2.99

All games were mint. Fairly happy.

You know, I always wonder how sealed copies find their way to goodwill. I picked up a sealed copy of KH Re: Chain of Memories at a goodwill last year.

[quote name='Potatoeman']You know, I always wonder how sealed copies find their way to goodwill. I picked up a sealed copy of KH Re: Chain of Memories at a goodwill last year.[/QUOTE]

Probably stuff Target couldnt sell from the clarence shelf, thats the case at my GW

hey something different today. Tiger R-Zone with Daytona USA, Batman and Robin, Star Wars Millenium Falcon Challenge, Star Wars Jedi Adventures, and 2 "Use With R-Zone Super Screen Only" screen covers-$8. This have any resale value???

[quote name='juangrande386']hey something different today. Tiger R-Zone with Daytona USA, Batman and Robin, Star Wars Millenium Falcon Challenge, Star Wars Jedi Adventures, and 2 "Use With R-Zone Super Screen Only" screen covers-$8. This have any resale value???[/QUOTE]

Yes, even though it is hands down one of the worst game systems of all time. The unit itself looks to be worth at least $35 with games being various values. I honestly don't think there is a huge market for R-Zone stuff, though. It really is a God awful system.

One thing I always wanted to find when Gamestop was clearing them out was the N-Gage. The thought of a phone that also played games was intriguing to me. But I heard that it didn't function well in either aspect.:cry:

Weird finding at Goodwill today. Almost nothing to note game wise other than the usual junk, but in the jewelry case mixed in with some other non-gaming crap was one lone copy of Rez for PS2 marked at $3. I grabbed it right away obviously. I've heard nothing but great things about it, but I never played it, since I picked one up for $10 when they were clearing them out at Best Buy, and then sold it for $60 when the value shot up like a month later. It's not nearly as great a find since Gamequest Direct reprinted it causing the price to go down, but it's still a $20 game regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back