Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodwill 1- Passed on a $12 black N64 with cables, a $4 N64 grey controller with wobbly stick, 10 $4 sports games where the games should be and the "OMFG WTF" $20 cartridge only Zelda OOT and Goldeneye, and the $10 StarWars Rogue Squadron in the case upfront. Picked up the $3 see through purple N64 controller cus its like never been played- super clean, excellent buttons and stick.

Walmart next door (not a thrift I know I know)- 4 pack of glass bottled Ski soda made with real sugar- $2.75

Resale shop I usually drive past- Nuttin
GW2- Nuttin, crappy sports games again. Someone got the NES and Mario3 I left from last time.

GW3- newer Wireless Xbox360 controller that comes with the slim model for $20. Ice Blue N64 with cables, black controller with crappy stick, and grey controller with crappy stick for $25. Funny part- they also had Goldeneye but it was $4 like it should be so the other GW needs to get with the program. The girl asked if I found that 360 controller cus she knows what I buy usually and the other said someone brought it back cus "it didnt work". Brought it home, works fine with my battery pack. Its batteries were just dead LOL.

[quote name='juangrande386']Goodwill 1- Passed on a $12 black N64 with cables, a $4 N64 grey controller with wobbly stick, 10 $4 sports games where the games should be and the "OMFG WTF" $20 cartridge only Zelda OOT and Goldeneye, and the $10 StarWars Rogue Squadron in the case upfront. Picked up the $3 see through purple N64 controller cus its like never been played- super clean, excellent buttons and stick.

Walmart next door (not a thrift I know I know)- 4 pack of glass bottled Ski soda made with real sugar- $2.75

Resale shop I usually drive past- Nuttin
GW2- Nuttin, crappy sports games again. Someone got the NES and Mario3 I left from last time.

GW3- newer Wireless Xbox360 controller that comes with the slim model for $20. Ice Blue N64 with cables, black controller with crappy stick, and grey controller with crappy stick for $25. Funny part- they also had Goldeneye but it was $4 like it should be so the other GW needs to get with the program. The girl asked if I found that 360 controller cus she knows what I buy usually and the other said someone brought it back cus "it didnt work". Brought it home, works fine with my battery pack. Its batteries were just dead LOL.[/QUOTE]
No way! I love Ski soda! Where do you live that you can get Ski at walmart? When I lived in Southern IL, I lived near the plant where they bottle glass bottles of Ski, and you could pick up cases(24pk) for $8-10. Since I've moved I make my parents bring me cases when they come. I go through them in less than a week.

[quote name='myl0r']No way! I love Ski soda! Where do you live that you can get Ski at walmart? When I lived in Southern IL, I lived near the plant where they bottle glass bottles of Ski, and you could pick up cases(24pk) for $8-10. Since I've moved I make my parents bring me cases when they come. I go through them in less than a week.[/QUOTE]

This was the Walmart thats in Glen Carbon, IL but its also considered the Edwardsville Walmart since its like right down the road. They havent had glass bottles for months so it was a surprise. They have cans, plastic bottles, and even a Ski vending machine. All of those dont use real sugar or have sugar and HFCS from what the ingredients say.

Found a few things today:
Perfect Dark (N64) - $2
Trans-purple Gameboy Color + Pokemon Silver - $5

Found but passed on:
2-disc Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1) - $18 :wall:

Should I go back tomorrow morning and grab it if it's still there? Most copies on eBay seem to go for around $25-30 so idk if it's got enough value to be worth the ridiculous GW pricetag.

Picked up Halo Combat Evolved CIB, disc in mint condition for $2 and CoinStruction sealed for $1.50 at Goodwill. Visited another thrift shop where I've seen an original Xbox priced at $24.99 with hookups and an transparent S controller on Monday, but it was gone today.

While I thought that was a high price to pay for an Xbox, a couple of days ago, I drove to another Goodwill store, and saw an original Xbox for $50! $5 for controllers...

Pirate, I'd pass on it. Unless you can get double the value for it, seems like a waste of time. Perhaps wait when that colored tag is on sale or something? Even still, I still wouldn't bite. I've never seen a game that...wait, yes I have. They were selling sealed copies of Tekken 6 (360) for like 26 bucks...when Wal-Mart and friends had it in the bargain bin for dirt cheap,

3 days ago I picked up Pokemon Blue from Goodwill for $1.06. I sold it today for $15.00 :)
I wish they priced their stuff reasonable more often. I used to get a lot of gaming items for cheap when they first opened a few years ago, but lately the prices have been on the rise. I jumped on the $1 game right away.

Found a boxed Super Scope at goodwill today. Opened it up only to find the receiver and scope attachment were missing, which I pointed out to a buddy of mine working there, and he promptly stuck a $3 sticker over the $10 sticker, which is worth it for the box alone :V

If anybody has an extra receiver or a broken super scope they wouldn't mind piecing out... heh.

[quote name='Pirate331']Found a few things today:
Perfect Dark (N64) - $2

Found but passed on:

Should I go back tomorrow morning and grab it if it's still there? Most copies on eBay seem to go for around $25-30 so idk if it's got enough value to be worth the ridiculous GW pricetag.[/QUOTE]

I personally would have picked it up for my own collection, but it seems like since you're referencing ebay you're probably looking to sell. After fees its probably going to break even for you, so might not be worth all the trouble.

[quote name='Pirate331']Found a few things today:
Perfect Dark (N64) - $2

Found but passed on:

Should I go back tomorrow morning and grab it if it's still there? Most copies on eBay seem to go for around $25-30 so idk if it's got enough value to be worth the ridiculous GW pricetag.[/QUOTE]

that's absurd, $18 for a used PS1 game at a THRIFT shop

goodwill can suck it

[quote name='CAG90210']Picked up Halo Combat Evolved CIB, disc in mint condition for $2 and CoinStruction sealed for $1.50 at Goodwill. Visited another thrift shop where I've seen an original Xbox priced at $24.99 with hookups and an transparent S controller on Monday, but it was gone today.

While I thought that was a high price to pay for an Xbox, a couple of days ago, I drove to another Goodwill store, and saw an original Xbox for $50! $5 for controllers...[/QUOTE]

Original Xbox sells for 24.99 here at Play N Trade, not sure if that is the same for all stores but I would definitely not buy one from a thrift for the same price as a retail store because I am sure PNT at least gives you some kind of warranty with the system.

Found this at Goodwill for $1.
f92e8eaf.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool. I always play with this thing when I go to Target, but it's something like $20-30 there, so for $1 it was a no brainer.

My goodwill has an original Xbox Special Halo Edition, box only for $12.00. I'd probably re-sell it, is it worth the risk?

btw, this is my favorite goodwill. Every game is $1.00 or .50, and the consoles are all in back and you have to ask about them to see them. Everything's so cheap for me because I tipped the cashier, haha.

[quote name='Potatoeman']By box only, do you mean the outside container for the xbox, or the xbox itself? Im not sure if its worth personally..[/QUOTE]

It's the console only - wish I had an xbox so I could bring cords to test it - oh well.

It's been dry for me lately, the only fnds I've had in the past few weeks were some okay $2 NES games

Donkey Kong Classics
Skate or Die
Bayou Billy

I was at Goodwill today and I saw Zelda Ocarina Of Time for the 3DS there. It was marked 20 bucks so I didnt get it. Do Goodwills usually have games that new there? I thought when they get a new game they throw it online.

Haven't found anything in ages at Goodwill. Not even semi-decent anything. Everything is either priced sky high, or is missing a disc, etc. Goodwill is going to lose my business soon, since they think they can price like eBay. I used to score a game every now and again, as well as furniture, household items, but lately, nothing.

[quote name='HBKBretHart']I was at Goodwill today and I saw Zelda Ocarina Of Time for the 3DS there. It was marked 20 bucks so I didnt get it. Do Goodwills usually have games that new there? I thought when they get a new game they throw it online.[/QUOTE]

Ive seen 2 3DS games at mine. They were $12 and traded one to Amazon for $20 of credit. $20 for OOT would be a good price if you were keeping it. Newer stuff like that is most likely opened/returned Target products.

it's not a thrift shop exactly but I scored Einhander for PS1 for $24 yesterday at half price books.
complete and mint condition too.

Finally the thrift store gods shined on me today, picked up a black label Zelda Twilight Princess complete for $3. It looks like a decent flip on eBay... Left behind a bunch of PS2 sports games...

went to a thrift store I havent been to in dallas for me and didnt find anything to special but I did find YDKJ Volume 2 PC for $1.40, Backyard Baseball '03 for $1(guilty pleasure for me), Microsoft Motocross Mania for $1. Definitely nothing to scoff at but nothing amazing.

Someone actually bought that N64 stuff I left the other day. So they spent $12 for the N64 and $4 for the controller which isnt bad but then they spent $20 for cartridge only OOT and $20 for cartridge only Goldeneye64. If they wanted it that bad than so be it but Id never pay $20 for a cartridge at Goodwill unless it was worth double or more. Id just go to the used gamestore next door if I wanted to pay used/ebay prices.

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Finally the thrift store gods shined on me today, picked up a black label Zelda Twilight Princess complete for $3. It looks like a decent flip on eBay... Left behind a bunch of PS2 sports games...[/QUOTE]
The gamecube version I assume, and I'd be interested if you just plan to flip it ;)

Nothing much today. Quite a few PS1 games, but mostly junk. Picked out a minty BL Metal Gear Solid, though.

[quote name='aptanor']The gamecube version I assume, and I'd be interested if you just plan to flip it ;)

Nothing much today. Quite a few PS1 games, but mostly junk. Picked out a minty BL Metal Gear Solid, though.[/QUOTE]

Why is zelda TP more rare on GC then Wii? isnt the wii better overall?

[quote name='The Punisher']Why is zelda TP more rare on GC then Wii? isnt the wii better overall?[/QUOTE]

My personal thoughts:

1) The GC version had a more limited print run (? totally guessing)
2) The GC version never had an official MSRP drop (? no clue about this one)
3) GC discs are more durable than Wii discs (i.e., a GC disc can be more scratched up and still play correctly)

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']My personal thoughts:

1) The GC version had a more limited print run (? totally guessing)
2) The GC version never had an official MSRP drop (? no clue about this one)
3) GC discs are more durable than Wii discs (i.e., a GC disc can be more scratched up and still play correctly)[/QUOTE]

Really? GC discs are more durable then Wii discs?? Was there a study on it?
Just wondering.

Thanks.

It was also designed for the Gamecube, not the Wii. The Wii version controls seem off to a lot of people, largely because swinging your arm around like an idiot just to make the same three slashing motions regardless of how you move it just doesn't work as well as the button on a Gamecube controller.

[quote name='aptanor']It was also designed for the Gamecube, not the Wii. The Wii version controls seem off to a lot of people, largely because swinging your arm around like an idiot just to make the same three slashing motions regardless of how you move it just doesn't work as well as the button on a Gamecube controller.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I wish Nintendo would have made the Wii game to let the player choice if they want to use a classic controller or wii remote.

[quote name='aptanor']The gamecube version I assume, and I'd be interested if you just plan to flip it ;)

Nothing much today. Quite a few PS1 games, but mostly junk. Picked out a minty BL Metal Gear Solid, though.[/QUOTE]
Were you at the same thrift store as me today, aptanor? They had a TON of games(a couple NES titles, a couple N64 titles, about 10-12 PS2 titles and at least a half dozen PS1 games and a bunch more) at my one local SA store today. I had a stack of 3-4 PS1 games ready to buy but I changed my mind since I have too many games to play through as it is.:whistle2:#

Oh and FYI: I doubt that any of their stores have any copies of it left in stock, but Kmart clearanced out :gc:Zelda: TP a year or two ago for $5. I picked up about 3-5 copies of it from 3-4 Kmart stores here and sold them all to other CAG's for $20 a pop shipped.:D

definitely the controls deters people from the wii version
and the camera business

from wikipedia:
"Unique to the GameCube version is the ability for the player to control the camera freely, without entering a special "lookaround" mode required by the Wii"

also there just aren't near as many physical copies in the market

[quote name='The Punisher']Why is zelda TP more rare on GC then Wii? isnt the wii better overall?[/QUOTE]

It was the last game Nintendo released for the GC. Not to mention it wasn't given as big of a run compared to the Wii version.

Yep, GC version... It was sitting in amongst some PS2 sports games which might explain why it was still there, a quick glance and you'd miss it... Yea for me!:bouncy:

today I found a couple things at a local thrift

Naki Dreamcast VGA box for $2
SNES mouse $3
NES Zelda $2
NES Rad Racer $2
NES Airwolf $2

Hit up Goodwill today. Nothing in the games of DVDs worth mentioning. CDs were a different story. Someone unloaded a bunch of soundtracks.

Had picked up:
Basketball Diaries soundtrack
I Am Sam soundtrack
Music from Little Miss Sunshine
Themes by Vangelis

Asked how much... $3 a disk. Ugh.

Put everything back except Themes by Vangelis. So then they went to search for the disk because apparently they have a little problem with theft.

They found where it was supposed to be in their "filing system" which looked like a nightmare of cd wallet pages in a 2 drawer hanging file cabinet. Problem being the disk was missing. Great, what would have been the find of the day...

I remember why I don't stop there much.

This past weekend I picked up a Platinum Gamecube at goodwill for $25 that included a GBA player and the GBA player disk. The Cube is the older model that has the HD out capability (sadly no hi-def cables though, just the normal ones). Someone had put a really nice skin on it that has green flames and did a good job of doing it. Green is even favorite color. Good deal or no? I am guessing it was but only because of the GBA player.

Also, from the same goodwill I got:

Call of Juarez / Call of Juarez Bound in Blood combo pack for PC. $2.99 (Ironically bound in blood is on sale today for $5.00 on Steam). It looked unopened, but I opened it just be make sure the disks were actually there. Hated to do that, but wanted to make sure the disks were there. At least when I opened it, I committed to myself that I would buy it if everything was good.

A pile of PC games in jewel cases bound together with a rubber band including: Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island, Serious Sam First Encounter, Test Drive 6 for the PSX, and some other okay but not great PC games $3.99. I only bought this for Grim Fandango and should just given the rest of the games back to them. I'll drop them off for them next time I am there if they aren't worth much.

I often see lots of PC titles at this Goodwill but I don't normally buy the newer ones. I'm always afraid the games were already registered to someone else on Steam and that I won't be able to use them.

There's a theft problem at my local Goodwill as well; they've responded by taping shut all the CD cases. Sadly, that means you can't find out the condition of a disc before you buy it. Better than an empty case, though.

[quote name='Jerry-kun']There's a theft problem at my local Goodwill as well; they've responded by taping shut all the CD cases. Sadly, that means you can't find out the condition of a disc before you buy it. Better than an empty case, though.[/QUOTE]

My general rule of thumb is that if I can't see the condition of a used disk, I won't buy it. The exception I make is for Amazon Warehouse Deals because every "used" disk they have sent me has been in minty and immaculate condition. Amazon is also very good about returns. As far as the disks I have gotten from Goodwill, I have always been allowed to inspect them. If I open something at the Goodwill that looks like it was still factory sealed, I will always buy the item in question if it is complete and in the condition I expected. If Goodwill didn't let me look at game disks prior to purchase, then I would not buy any of them. I am a regular weekly shopper at my local Goodwill and they have never had a problem with me inspecting disks. Since everything sold at the Goodwill has been donated to them they don't stand to lose any actual money if I open a game and find out the case is empty. My biggest pet peeve is when people knowingly donate broken items to the goodwill, that is what trash cans are for.

[quote name='Jerry-kun']There's a theft problem at my local Goodwill as well; they've responded by taping shut all the CD cases. Sadly, that means you can't find out the condition of a disc before you buy it. Better than an empty case, though.[/QUOTE]

A few around here do the same. Do they tape all the way around or just where it opens? The ones here just tape where it opens, so I pop off the hinges and check the disk anyways.

The employees have told me that the disks are fine and definitely in there if the case is taped shut. However, I have seen them bring a fresh stack of CDs out of the back to put out and upon checking them found empty cases.

I understand the idea is to cut down on theft, but this method is flat out stupid. Some of the ones in my area opted to just put the CD racks right next to the register. Of course people could just walk the CDs through the store and take them, but it has helped significantly at the main store I visit.

Went out for a CAG meetup and hit some stores out of my radius.

Paid 8.99 For MK3 Ultimate SNES.

Paid $4.99 for the SNES Star Wars and NES monopoly.

All are sealed (factory sealed?)

Half price books does not re-seal, but they bought them "used" (ie: from a customer, not wholesale so they have a red tag).

21c53c9d.jpg

[quote name='blindinglights']A few around here do the same. Do they tape all the way around or just where it opens? The ones here just tape where it opens, so I pop off the hinges and check the disk anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they tape all around - at the top, the bottom and right. I hate it, but both times I've bought one (Bushido Blade and Soul Edge) I've been lucky enough to get good discs.

Oddly enough, they don't tape the DVDs, PS2, GC or Xbox games. Just the ones in CD cases, like Playstation and Dreamcast. If they taped shut a Playstation long box, I'd cry.

I wish they'd stick them all in the case like Value Village and some other Goodwills I've been to. All the games are together, so I can scan them quickly and move on to the next thrift.

[quote name='slowdive21']Went out for a CAG meetup and hit some stores out of my radius.

Paid 8.99 For MK3 Ultimate SNES.

Paid $4.99 for the SNES Star Wars and NES monopoly.

All are sealed (factory sealed?)

Half price books does not re-seal, but they bought them "used" (ie: from a customer, not wholesale so they have a red tag).

21c53c9d.jpg
[/QUOTE]
If you post a picture of the back of the games, it'd be easier to tell if the seals are legit.

actually the sides where the "H seal" joint is are the best way to tell.

Also if there is ANY sort of wear to the folds where the box is opened, where the box bends into the inside of the box, is a good way to tell.

it's very hard to open one of these without causing some small wear to that fold.

This is an extremely in depth guide to sealed SNES games.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-78708.html

Found my first 20 dollar game at a thrift store, a copy of Madden 08 (Or was it 07?) for the Wii.

They had a game called Shadow Tower for the PS1. Never heard of it and it was 3 bucks so I picked it up. They also had a black dreamcast for 5 but it didn't have any cables, pass. They also had bags of Lego which had me excited until I saw they were charging 15 bucks per bag, each one weighing only about a pound each. They also had a group of minifigures, perhaps around 20-30 but they wanted...80 for them (?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back