Thrift Store Thread 2012

I went back today and found a Genesis 2 + 32X with all cables (2 power, 32X -> Genesis, video) and a controller for $15. Pretty funny, considering they have had a Genesis 1 with cables sitting on the shelf for weeks priced at $30.

Also, I forgot that last week I picked up, from a different GW, a CIB Steel Series WoW mouse for $14. Very cool, but it just feels bulky.

Found a yellowed snes, no cables or controllers, for 4.99. Tested with my cables, works awesome. I will check back there tomorrow in case they have more in back. Also got mario paint for. 99, snes mouse for. 99, and ps2 remote for. 99.

Good day.

picked this up for $4.99 at thrift store

then sold it on ebay for 215

42D11539-05AA-E0E9-AB3EDA20FAA924EE.jpg

42D1BF88-D9A8-FBAE-EFED2106B8AFEC34.jpg

I have no doubt if I saw that game in a thrift store I would pass it up as a crap title, since I don't have a photographic memory of all known HTF/"rare" games.

Speaking of which, I really should sell my sealed Packy & Marlon I found a while ago, though the corners of the box are worn due to the plastic wrap degrading in those areas and exposing the box.

Ok guys, I found something really interesting although non game related, does anyone know anything about this item. It is a Doraemon bank. The bank is in pretty bad condition and missing the bottom plug but it was only $1 and I just had to have it since I love japanese things. It is a large plastic bank. I don't think any doraemon stuff ever made it to the USA so this would be a hard to find item, this item has no markings. Any idea of its value or possibly when it was made? Not that I care that much as I just intend to display this on my dresser and basically keep it as an action figure type of thing but I am curious.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Iv found some great n64 games, and snes these past two days.. n64 games where 2.99, and snes where a mix of 1.99 to 2.99 .. pricing is really weird for games..
n64 games were dirty as hell, i have no clue why they where so dirty...
4d63afe4.jpg

0da40c19.jpg

[quote name='SaraAB']I don't think any doraemon stuff ever made it to the USA so this would be a hard to find item, this item has no markings.[/QUOTE]
I just saw a doraemon plushie today at the local Goodwill. Couldn't quite remember what it was until I just saw your post. I guess that disproves your theory that no doaemon merch ever made it here :p

[quote name='Andami']I just saw a doraemon plushie today at the local Goodwill. Couldn't quite remember what it was until I just saw your post. I guess that disproves your theory that no doaemon merch ever made it here :p[/QUOTE]
It was an assumption, not a theory. She also meant that nothing made it over here commercially. Just because something is sold at Goodwill, that doesn't mean it was ever released in US stores. However, her assumption is incorrect because Doraemon actually did make it to store shelves in America, although with rather limited success and on a fairly small scale.

Speaking of Japanese stuff I recently picked up some games at second hand shops while visiting Tokyo. The Super Metroid at the top was 1200 yen (about $15), an hour later I found another store and got the rest of the games except for Bonk for 100 yen each ($1.25), go figure. Bonk was 1000 yen ($12.50), the Super Famicom controllers were about $7 each. These are all going into my collection, no flipping on this batch.

5c69abf7.jpg

Good find! A shame that the used games business didn't pick up here until the rise of Gamestop, and it doesn't help that most people throw away their things with careless disregard, value or recycling be damned.

[quote name='ZombieToast']It was an assumption, not a theory. She also meant that nothing made it over here commercially. Just because something is sold at Goodwill, that doesn't mean it was ever released in US stores.[/QUOTE]

Assumption and theory (when not speaking scientifically) virtually mean the same thing in daily lingo. What I forgot to include in my post was that the doraemon plushie had an English tag. Was totally going to mention that. Not 100% proof, but you get my point.

[quote name='Andami']Assumption and theory (when not speaking scientifically) virtually mean the same thing in daily lingo. What I forgot to include in my post was that the doraemon plushie had an English tag. Was totally going to mention that. Not 100% proof, but you get my point.[/QUOTE]

Well, locally, there was a store in one of the local malls that strictly sold imported japanese pop-culture items like toys, plush, etc. It may still be there, but I haven't been to that mall in over a year.

At my local GW, I've found a few Sanrio/San-X plush, with all Japanese tags. So, it is entirely possible to get imported Japanese toys to show up at local thrifts.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Good find! A shame that the used games business didn't pick up here until the rise of Gamestop, and it doesn't help that most people throw away their things with careless disregard, value or recycling be damned.[/QUOTE]
Except for packrats and hoarders, like me.:evil: I keep everything forever just about, cept for stuff with better trade value or shit that has zero value to me(like the 500 guides I dumped on a local shop for $.25 each).

:bomb:Dammit. That's the second time in about a month someone has found IQ. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to pick it up new when it first came out. I forgot to grab that and Tomba once they price dropped a lil bit.

[quote name='Andami']Assumption and theory (when not speaking scientifically) virtually mean the same thing in daily lingo. What I forgot to include in my post was that the doraemon plushie had an English tag. Was totally going to mention that. Not 100% proof, but you get my point.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that this stuff came from a carnival, I recall being at a carnival and seeing a couple people walking around with doraemon plush toys. Also it could have came from a claw machines, they have a lot of japanese type plush in claw machines now, as I see Domo plush in almost every claw I see.

We have a couple asian markets here that sell bootleg-type ceramic banks, so perhaps it could have came from there, although this is plastic.

As for being sold commerically in the US (not small import type shops), I don't think I have seen any doraemon stuff, and I shopped plenty at Media play etc.. all the stores that were known to sell japanese type things. FYE is the only store I know of where you can get anime plush these days in a store.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Good find! A shame that the used games business didn't pick up here until the rise of Gamestop, and it doesn't help that most people throw away their things with careless disregard, value or recycling be damned.[/QUOTE]

The used game business was actually pioneered by Funcoland long before Gamestop ever came into being. I remember trading my NES stuff up towards a Super Nintendo in 1992. Funcoland actually made several important innovations in the video game business, most of which have gone forgotten because Gamestop doesn't consider it part of their history.

[quote name='spmahn']The used game business was actually pioneered by Funcoland long before Gamestop ever came into being. I remember trading my NES stuff up towards a Super Nintendo in 1992. Funcoland actually made several important innovations in the video game business, most of which have gone forgotten because Gamestop doesn't consider it part of their history.[/QUOTE]

My favorite part of Funcoland was the ability to try any used game at the store before buying. I avoided many poor games that way. Also they're responsible for many of my CIB SNES RPGs as you could get on a wait list and they'd pull stock from other stores when they had more than one available. Only ones I remember them not getting for me were Final Fantasy III (found at pawn shop) and Mega Man X3 (Sears)

[quote name='spmahn']The used game business was actually pioneered by Funcoland long before Gamestop ever came into being. I remember trading my NES stuff up towards a Super Nintendo in 1992. Funcoland actually made several important innovations in the video game business, most of which have gone forgotten because Gamestop doesn't consider it part of their history.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget that EB Games was also buying/selling used games AND many of their stores even took in used game guides and resold them for $2-5 each most times.

Plus there was the EB Games morning update, which was covered on CAG regularly until the evil empire gobbled them up too.:bomb:

But yeah, I remember Funcoland being the store that originally included Game Informer with their discount card membership. Of course, I'd forgo the GI subscription if we could go back to the old $5 price that EB Games used to charge for their Edge card subscription.

Although GS wasn't all that evil at the beginning of their takeover of the used gaming biz, since they did have a trade value price look up tool located at tradestop.com before they musta realized that people would check their values, laugh and then not trade their stuff to them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't forget that EB Games was also buying/selling used games AND many of their stores even took in used game guides and resold them for $2-5 each most times.

Plus there was the EB Games morning update, which was covered on CAG regularly until the evil empire gobbled them up too.:bomb:

But yeah, I remember Funcoland being the store that originally included Game Informer with their discount card membership. Of course, I'd forgo the GI subscription if we could go back to the old $5 price that EB Games used to charge for their Edge card subscription.

Although GS wasn't all that evil at the beginning of their takeover of the used gaming biz, since they did have a trade value price look up tool located at tradestop.com before they musta realized that people would check their values, laugh and then not trade their stuff to them.[/QUOTE]

If im not mistaken EB also sold used computer games. I don't think the selection was huge but I seem to remember getting some there.

I found a sega channel adapter with coax cable, a copy of dragonball Z Budokai tenkaichi 3 for wii, and a bunch of fippable books today. It was a really good stop at a thrift where I don't typically find much.

[quote name='schuerm26']If im not mistaken EB also sold used computer games. I don't think the selection was huge but I seem to remember getting some there.[/QUOTE]
That they did. But I remember the $5 EDGE card and used guides with none ever being over $5 the most.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That they did. But I remember the $5 EDGE card and used guides with none ever being over $5 the most.[/QUOTE]

I was working there at the end of all this. When I started the EDGE card was our primary focus, it was 5 bucks, and it was hard to get people to NOT sign up for it if they bought used. You use it twice on a newer game, it's paid for just like that.

Anyway, yeah, they stopped with guides I think a month after I started, but they started DVDs about 3 months after I started. The used PC games, the only reason it stopped was that so many games were being one time use with the codes and you had to be connected online, that you couldn't be sure that they COULD be resold. It was disappointing, but when they stopped, I picked up a lot of new PC games, for the time(Republic Commando and Jedi Knights 2 to name a couple) for maybe 5 bucks altogether?

I probably look at it with rose tinted glasses, but I also always felt like EB and GS made each other competitive, so the trade in prices were always higher AND they lasted longer, just to get people to come into the store to trade in. They didn't have the extra when you traded in, but that was usually a non point.

The only other thing they worried about was how many things at a time you sold and selling new releases instead of worrying about pre-orders because they realized that making people preorder something that wasn't physically tangible yet, was a bit of a stretch.

When GS bought them originally, at least in my area, it was really funny. the former EB stores that were left(yeah a lot got closed really fast) pretty much banded together and tried to sabotage some of the GS stores(to be fair, most of the guys working at them were douche bags, and the EBs in our area had dominated GS stores for years at that point), so there was no way we were helping the enemy unless it was to steal a customer haha.

Pretty fortunate day today. Went to Half Price Books and found two PS2s for $5 each (no controllers, but both had cables). Also found a Saturn/Playstation Light Gun for $8. Also saw a sealed GH copy of FF7 for $150. Obviously didn't buy it, but it was cool to see.

Anywho, took the stuff home, the gun works, and so did one of the PS2s. The other one gave me the disc read error, but at $5, I'd be dumb not to grab it. Probably going to resell the PS2s, but not sure whether or not to put my spare controller with it.

And you know, now that I have a gun, Virtua Cop doesn't suck.

More than likely all that PS2 needs is a laser cleaning to get it reading again. That's usually what the DRE was caused by in the fat model ones. If that doesn't help it then it probably needs a replacement lens.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']More than likely all that PS2 needs is a laser cleaning to get it reading again. That's usually what the DRE was caused by in the fat model ones. If that doesn't help it then it probably needs a replacement lens.[/QUOTE]

Most likely a lens replacement. After air dusting it, it wouldn't even read my lens-cleaning disc. Ah, well. I had no intention of keeping either one (already have a slim), and there's a decent market for the broken ones.

So the seals are still intact on the back of each one? Sometimes people were able to peel them off gently enough and restick them. I bought a few used and supposedly unopened ones that I later on found out were cracked open and the people attempted to clean/modify them. The one system the prior owner raised the laser way too high and it scratched up my one game disc when I tried playing it.:cry:

[quote name='TheHeef']Most likely a lens replacement. After air dusting it, it wouldn't even read my lens-cleaning disc. Ah, well. I had no intention of keeping either one (already have a slim), and there's a decent market for the broken ones.[/QUOTE]

Where are you dumping them? I usually pass up incomplete slims or broken fats.

BTW: My Savers finally put out some cart only NES games...Now they want 4.99 each. I bought a couple, but left the other 10-12 of them.

[quote name='slowdive21']Where are you dumping them? I usually pass up incomplete slims or broken fats.[/QUOTE]

They sell pretty well on ebay, I sold a broken fat ps2 for $35 not too long ago. I think I paid $1 (asking price) for mine because the disc drive wouldn't open.

[quote name='leecy']They sell pretty well on ebay, I sold a broken fat ps2 for $35 not too long ago. I think I paid $1 (asking price) for mine because the disc drive wouldn't open.[/QUOTE]

Whaa? I have 6 or 7 working fats. I guess now it is time to sell.

[quote name='slowdive21']Where are you dumping them? I usually pass up incomplete slims or broken fats.

BTW: My Savers finally put out some cart only NES games...Now they want 4.99 each. I bought a couple, but left the other 10-12 of them.[/QUOTE]
where is your savers? I used to hit up the Downers Grove one every Friday. Got some good stuff here and there. The game guy got to know me (but never hooked me up unfairly...though i wish he did)

[quote name='uiengineer']where is your savers? I used to hit up the Downers Grove one every Friday. Got some good stuff here and there. The game guy got to know me (but never hooked me up unfairly...though i wish he did)[/QUOTE]

I don't want to give out my location, but I can tell you it is not that store. ;)

[quote name='slowdive21']I don't want to give out my location, but I can tell you it is not that store. ;)[/QUOTE]
don't worry. i'm not going to run out to pick up $5 SMB/DH carts. lol.

[quote name='uiengineer']don't worry. i'm not going to run out to pick up $5 SMB/DH carts. lol.[/QUOTE]

I just meant in general on the forums since I post a lot in the Garage sale thread and other 'bragging rights' threads. I don't want to get robbed by a lurker! I know there are CAGs in my territory anyway by their buying patterns even if I do not know all of them by name. :D

[quote name='slowdive21']I just meant in general on the forums since I post a lot in the Garage sale thread and other 'bragging rights' threads. I don't want to get robbed by a lurker! I know there are CAGs in my territory anyway by their buying patterns even if I do not know all of them by name. :D[/QUOTE]
This is why I also stopped posting my location and removed it from my location on my profile on here. Even though I don't do yard sales or even the flea market stuff at times, for those rare times when I do I'd rather that the local CAG's I know about not know where I'm hitting.:)

[quote name='slowdive21']I just meant in general on the forums since I post a lot in the Garage sale thread and other 'bragging rights' threads. I don't want to get robbed by a lurker! I know there are CAGs in my territory anyway by their buying patterns even if I do not know all of them by name. :D[/QUOTE]
i feel you. that makes sense.

[quote name='leecy']They sell pretty well on ebay, I sold a broken fat ps2 for $35 not too long ago. I think I paid $1 (asking price) for mine because the disc drive wouldn't open.[/QUOTE]

This, slowdive. I had a feeling they wouldn't work, but at worst, I've been able to sell broken ones for $20-25, so I knew I could make something from a $5 price tag. To find out one worked is a major bonus.

Oh, and the Savers in Aurora blows. Just saying.

I stopped at a random Goodwill on Saturday and this place was a bust on electronics. All they had were VCR's and tape decks. As I was walking out I saw a bunch of cassettes and picked up like 6 or so classics (REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Billy Idol, etc.)
Some box sitting by the VHS tapes caught my eye, I saw it was a game and seen "3DO" at the bottom so I snagged that without much thought. Only cost $3.00, but I have no idea what the worth is.
mail
The box is in decent condition, some corners are banged up a bit. It's got a full sized game map, a thick user's guide, advertisements, and the CD's inside all mint, practically untouched. Apparently that's an old PC game and not a 3DO game as I figured upon purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to my local 'will on Sunday afternoon, it was so packed I had to park in the street, go in and was excited to see a stack of 5 SNES games, check them.out and their all sports games. fuck
FOILED AGAIN

[quote name='burz88']errrr, sorry about the humongous picture above. How do I spoiler that thing?[/QUOTE]
You would put the image between the spoiler tags [ spoiler ][ /spoiler ]. Take away the spaces between the brackets.

I swear the GWs around here must be sending their games to some central location to be sold online. They have absolutely nothing game related.......ever, cept of course tiger woods 2006.

[quote name='TiKi2']I swear the GWs around here must be sending their games to some central location to be sold online. They have absolutely nothing game related.......ever, cept of course tiger woods 2006.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, Tiger Woods 08 for PC was worth $40 - $50 until EA re-released it three or four months ago. Not all sports games are as wothless as they may seem. Tiger Woods 2006, though - yeah, that's no good.

[quote name='TiKi2']I swear the GWs around here must be sending their games to some central location to be sold online. They have absolutely nothing game related.......ever, cept of course tiger woods 2006.[/QUOTE]

Where I'm from originally, they NEVER had game stuff, when I heard the ones here do, I was blown away. I'm going to take a look at some point...eventually

My savers put out about 40 games today. I missed out on a pokemon green GBA and some genny games. I still spent $70 though for games that would have cost me $25 when the old game guy worked there.

This chick who has wronged me in the past at a garage sale took a stack from the cart as the guy was putting them on the shelf and threw them into her cart. She then proceeded to look them up on her smartphone and bought 5 or 6 games. I couldn't tell which ones they were though.

bread's done
Back