Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='salty tbone']My Goodwills have a 7 day return policy on electronics. I've used it a couple times when consoles didn't work.[/QUOTE]
I wish SA had that same policy. I'm still miffed I was in too much of a rush n bought a Sony surround sound unit (for $20:bomb:) that must've been hit by a power surge n goes to an error code when you turn it on.:cry:

Some decent pickups from the weekend, $3 each

Sega Saturn Backup Cart :D
Mega Man X (SNES)
Pit Fighter (SNES)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Darius Twin (SNES)
Ghosts n Goblins (NES)
Chakan - boxed (GEN)
Forgotten Worlds - complete (GEN)

[quote name='Miami_13']Brand new Goodwill distribution center just opened up the road from me. Went there with the girlfriend today and I got..

Croc 2 for PS1
LucasArts Full Throttle for PC. The disc seriously looks like it's never been used.
Blood for PC. I guess it's the game Blood with all the expansions on the disc.

Not sure if there is much here to sell but at 50 cents each I figured what the hell. I'll be heading to this Goodwill quite a bit now.[/QUOTE]

Blood is awesome, you should just play it.

[quote name='C0dy']Some decent pickups from the weekend, $3 each

Sega Saturn Backup Cart :D
Mega Man X (SNES)
Pit Fighter (SNES)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Darius Twin (SNES)
Ghosts n Goblins (NES)
Chakan - boxed (GEN)
Forgotten Worlds - complete (GEN)[/QUOTE]

Are you the guy that found a Saturn backup cart in the yard sale thread last year?

[quote name='slowdive21']Are you the guy that found a Saturn backup cart in the yard sale thread last year?[/QUOTE]

This is the first one I've owned. Must be thinking of someone else? :O

[quote name='slowdive21']Are you the guy that found a Saturn backup cart in the yard sale thread last year?[/QUOTE]

That might be me, and it was a Sega CD backup cart. Ironically, I found a working Sega CD unit a few weeks ago. Could kinda use that cart...after I find some decent games for cheap.

[quote name='C0dy']This is the first one I've owned. Must be thinking of someone else? :O[/QUOTE]

whoops!

[quote name='TheHeef']That might be me, and it was a Sega CD backup cart. Ironically, I found a working Sega CD unit a few weeks ago. Could kinda use that cart...after I find some decent games for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Yup that's the one.

Today's finds:

IMG_0136.JPG

$3.99 at Savers. Ever notice how when they're all lined up on the shelf Gamecube games blend in with DVDs? I can be looking at a shelf of them for a few minutes before I realize "hey that's not a shitty romantic comedy, it's a decent game!"

IMG_0137.JPG

$3.99 at Goodwill. I don't know why but this looked like fun so I grabbed it.

IMG_0134.JPG

$3.99 for the lot at Savers. I figured its worth tossing them up as a lot on eBay.

IMG_0135.JPG

$2.99 / $3.99? I can't remember. Also from Savers. They all have 1974 stamped on their feet. I thought being that old would make them more valuable but from the research I've done so far not so much. Any input on these would be appreciated.

This is where I really got lucky:

IMG_0138.JPG

$3.99 at Savers. Everything inside is still sealed / brand new! :D

and...

IMG_0139.JPG

$6.99 at a different Savers. Also brand new.

Other recent finds:

-Microsoft Office 2003 Professional - $3.99 at Salvation Army
-Godfather Complete Epic VHS Box Set - $9.99 at Savers
-NES RC Pro AM $1.99 @ SA
-NES T&C Surf Design $1.99 @ SA (not really sure why I bought these but oh well)

[quote name='GoldFly']This is where I really got lucky:

IMG_0138.JPG

$3.99 at Savers. Everything inside is still sealed / brand new! :D

and...

IMG_0139.JPG

$6.99 at a different Savers. Also brand new.[/QUOTE]
You son of a bitch. I never find Lego at thrift stores, anywhere, let alone sealed boxes... and one of the newer Star Wars sets at that. So jelly.

Most of those Star Wars figures are from the Power of the Force line in the mid-late 90s; I don't think they're especially valuable given how common (and goofy looking) they are. But I could be wrong... tell us if you decide to put them up; I've got a whole briefcase full of them that I'd dump on ebay too if it were worth the effort.

Today on my day off I went to my usual spots and found Golden Sun (GBA) for a dollar! I did good today looking forward to playing this.

[quote name='Pirate331']Most of those Star Wars figures are from the Power of the Force line in the mid-late 90s; I don't think they're especially valuable given how common (and goofy looking) they are.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they're not really worth much of anything anymore. Even most of the vintage action figures aren't worth more than a few bucks each. Vehicles still seem to be fairly valuable, though.

I've got a nice big collection of 90's SW toys (and a couple from the 80's) that I'm hoping to sell off soon, but I probably won't get more than $50 for all of them.

Ho-ly shit did I have a day of finds! First, the pictures:

First pic:

2x Cisco Linksys AE1000 Wireless-N USB Adapters, brand new and sealed - $3/ea

Second pic:

Metz 54MZ-3 shoe-mount flash - $6

Third pic:

2x Kyocera T4 Zoom 35mm Cameras, pretty pricey little point-and-shoots - $5/ea

Last pic:

The score of the day/week/month/year/decade....

Canon GL2 3CCD Digital Camcorder, small professional grade, the configurations for this thing are endless. They still sell new for $2000+ - I paid $10 for it. I tested it out once I got home and it works AWESOME! I've always wanted a premium-grade video camera and now I have one. :D

I got EXTREMELY lucky, because the minute I walked into the store, a lady came out from the back with a cart full of these goodies. I snatched them up seconds after she set them on the shelf.

I also picked up a Philips Pronto with cradle and extender, and will add pics of that later.

[quote name='sp00ge']

Canon GL2 3CCD Digital Camcorder, small professional grade, the configurations for this thing are endless. They still sell new for $2000+ - I paid $10 for it. I tested it out once I got home and it works AWESOME! I've always wanted a premium-grade video camera and now I have one. :D

I got EXTREMELY lucky, because the minute I walked into the store, a lady came out from the back with a cart full of these goodies. I snatched them up seconds after she set them on the shelf.

I also picked up a Philips Pronto with cradle and extender, and will add pics of that later.[/QUOTE]
Which one was this? If you don't mind me asking. ;)

[quote name='mguiddy']Which one was this? If you don't mind me asking. ;)[/QUOTE]

North Huntingdon, PA, right by my house

[quote name='sp00ge']North Huntingdon, PA, right by my house[/QUOTE]
I keep forgetting you're on the opposite side of Pittsburgh.

Still... I need to make a trip one day. :lol:

Mario Party $1.96
"Tijuana Zebra" by The Kitchen Syncopators $2.99
Canon Digital Rebel XT (complete in box except for the kit lens) $39.96

The camera seems to work, I am going to borrow a lens from a coworker to test it out Monday.

Latest set of picks from past few weeks.

SDC14093.jpg

As usual, these pickups are from several trips to various local thrifts. Paid $9 for Dragon Warrior III, $7 for Kotor II, $6 each for Republic Commando and Morrowind, $4 each for the Hey You Pikachi N64 stuff, Spyro, Resident Evil 2, $3 each for Wild Arms 2, $2 each for CTR, FF Mystic Quest, SNES Controller, Super Mario 3 x2, Super Mario 2, and Crash Bash, and $1 each for South Park, Daggerfall, and Battlespire.

PS1- The Next Tetris, MegaMan Legends- complete black label, $3 each

PS1- FF Anthology, FF 9- complete black label except the music cd from Anthology- $6 each

PS3- Need for Speed Shift unleashed 2 Limited Edition, complete $10

Wii- Just Dance 3, complete $10

Toy Story 3 Blu Ray 2 disc, complete $4

Been so busy and I've only had to the chance to hit up two places on a lunch break in the last two weeks, and these pictures are making me envious.

1.99 - Worms Armageddon PSX Complete, My 6th MGS PSX complete, Dark Forces PC, Virtual Cop 2

Also I am sadden to reveal that the Goodwill here has succumb to the collector pricing of games. Saw a 7.99 SMB/Duck Hunt.

[quote name='sp00ge']Ho-ly shit did I have a day of finds! First, the pictures:

First pic:

2x Cisco Linksys AE1000 Wireless-N USB Adapters, brand new and sealed - $3/ea

Second pic:

Metz 54MZ-3 shoe-mount flash - $6

Third pic:

2x Kyocera T4 Zoom 35mm Cameras, pretty pricey little point-and-shoots - $5/ea

Last pic:

The score of the day/week/month/year/decade....

I also picked up a Philips Pronto with cradle and extender, and will add pics of that later.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are a SOB! Man what a lucky score! $10 for a GL2?! That's so insane my brain can't even fathom it. Congrats, that is one great camera. I used one in HS/College to make PSAs and local music videos. This is the most amazing thing I've seen on CAG to date!

Interesting weekend.

Yesterday I found Ein, the Data Dog from Cowboy Bebop, as well as a bunch of Inuyasha at one GW. I didn't pick any of that up.

Today I found SMT 3: Nocturne, Konga 3, and MGS 2, all Japanese releases for Korea at a different GW. This place was loaded with CDs and DVDs, I found a few of each, but nothing especially noteworthy.

Hit a goodwill today and saw the most video games I have ever seen at one... Unfortunately they were all sports games and NCAA 2k3 Gamecube wasn't there. Saw 2 people with canners and a guy I know from garage sales who resells electronics while I was there.

I had a decent find today at a local thrift store for $12 total i got

Nes advantage controller
2 Nes max controllers
2 Nes rf connectors
NES wood storage/display box
6 nes games, Home Alone, Roger Clemens baseball, roundball, tecmo basketball, Gyromite (non famicom adapter), and one of those weird unlicensed bible games Journey to the Promised Land: Exodus

Not the best games but I dont have any of them in the NES collection, I should be able to recoup the money spent flipping the controllers and rf's

I got 3 NES games today - all with manuals for $2.99 each.

Trog

Pinball Quest

and the best one out of the three...

Dusty Diamond All-Star Softball

Needless to say, I was very happy.

[quote name='pandiosity']I bought suikoden 2 (near mint condtion, box and manual intact) from a thrift shop in canada 5.00[/QUOTE]

Nice...

Tried hitting some thrift stores in the area....and not a while lot to brag about. Found Pokemon Yellow and Super Paper Mario Guides, got both for a whopping $1.60

The only thing of value I saw was a complete in box DDR Mario Mix. It came with the game and mat, untested of course, for 50 bucks. Decided to pass.

I got a Sega Game Gear set today ($35.95), it includes:

GameGear
Ac Adapter
Battery Pack
Tv Turner
Ninja Gaiden
Joe Montana Football
Castle of Illusion Mickey Mouse
Sonic The Hedgehog

Unfortunately it does not work and I will have to be returning it tomorrow after work but I am going to keep the Ninja Gaiden and Tv Turner to sell later :D

Also someone paid 200$ for a complete Boxed NES2 which was surprising and it came with a lot of box nes games it seems that someones retro collection must have been donated and I got the nonworking gamegear.

[quote name='200STM']I got a Sega Game Gear set today ($35.95), it includes:

GameGear
Ac Adapter
Battery Pack
Tv Turner
Ninja Gaiden
Joe Montana Football
Castle of Illusion Mickey Mouse
Sonic The Hedgehog

Unfortunately it does not work and I will have to be returning it tomorrow after work but I am going to keep the Ninja Gaiden and Tv Turner to sell later :D

[/QUOTE]

That is called stealing. From a thrift store. The money probably goes to help people. Not good.

[quote name='schuerm26']That is called stealing. From a thrift store. The money probably goes to help people. Not good.[/QUOTE]

I think he was saying that they were all purchased separately, and he won't be returning those item. I could be wrong though.

[quote name='200STM']I bought them seperately the total was 35$ish. I donate pants to goodwill and im not that evil.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Gotcha. Sorry. Read it as you bought it as a lot.

Yeah rarely do they sell them in bundles, they usually get a big bag and just toss what ever the console is with games or accessories to it so they dont have them spread.

N64 - Goldeneye: $1.99
N64 - Mario Kart: $1.99
PS1 - Spyro the Dragon: $2.49

All from the same salvation army in one visit and one that I never get that lucky at ...Booya

Also picked up Season One of Weeds on Blu-Ray for $2.99 at another SA today.

Thanks for starting this thread! Got a pink Gameboy Advance for $4.99 at Goodwill. Can't imagine what Nintendo was thinking by not adding a backlight, but I'll get an SP...eventually.

Nah, I personally think there's something wrong with us in general. When the GBA came out, I didn't mind that there was no backlight, and now that everything comes with a backlight, our eyes can't do without it.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Nah, I personally think there's something wrong with us in general. When the GBA came out, I didn't mind that there was no backlight, and now that everything comes with a backlight, our eyes can't do without it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I was looking at a GBC recently and was thinking... how bad it looked having a light glare on the screen behind me to see it.

Girlfriend brings her Game Gear from her home, I turn it on and think.. wow this is a lot worse than I remember it.

Turn on first model Gameboy SP to play Zelda Oracle of ages.... I can't believe how dim it looks.

Have a moral dilemma between playing the Zelda OOA on the sp or just playing it on my DS....decide to go with the DS. :(

My latest Thrift store finds:

Four Pair of Levi Jeans, like new for 5 each, sold for 15 each.

Genesis Games
---------------------------------
Light Crusaders 99 cents @Salvation
Ecco The Dolphin 99 cents @ Salvation
Jungle Book + Box 1.99 @ Salvation
Pac Attack 1.99 Complete @ Salvation
Wheel of Fortune Complete 1.99 @ Goodwill

Red Dead Revolver 3.99 @ Goodwill

Dreamcast
My friend ended up getting 3 dreamcasts @ Goodwill for 5 each, I already had 3 so wasn't interested.

And the Gem of my thrift week
@ 1.99 from Hospice, got it right off the cart when the lady came out the door behind me.
200px-TI-89.jpg

Forgot to mention that i've flipped a few of these in the past, TI calcs from my experience are pretty cheap at thrift stores and net a real good profit. This one I figure about 70.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I'm a proud owner of my first non clone top loader nintendo. Via craigslist..ill add the story in the thread.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Nah, I personally think there's something wrong with us in general. When the GBA came out, I didn't mind that there was no backlight, and now that everything comes with a backlight, our eyes can't do without it.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think the regular Gameboy looks better, lol.

I now realize that the copy of dot hack part 2 that I bought at goodwill for 3.50 is missing the game disk, not the anime disk. Fail whale.

bread's done
Back