Thrift Store Thread 2012

strange find today. I got a pair of Marantz SD5 headphones. Anybody know anything about the value of vintage headphones? There are no completed listings on ebay.

[quote name='yourlefthand']strange find today. I got a pair of Marantz SD5 headphones. Anybody know anything about the value of vintage headphones? There are no completed listings on ebay.[/QUOTE]
I found this

hit up the local goodwill tonight and everything is 50% off this week. i noticed a fat OG PS3 for only $150 this week for $75 and was tempted. i already have a PS3 slim. this PS3 only had a controller and no power cable or V/A cables and to be honest it looked a little beat up but im still debating. so in the end i just bought a book for $1. they had like 5 lame ass PS2 games for $2.50 each. not much else.

[quote name='sublime90']hit up the local goodwill tonight and everything is 50% off this week. i noticed a fat OG PS3 for only $150 this week for $75 and was tempted. i already have a PS3 slim. this PS3 only had a controller and no power cable or V/A cables and to be honest it looked a little beat up but im still debating. so in the end i just bought a book for $1. they had like 5 lame ass PS2 games for $2.50 each. not much else.[/QUOTE]
Even if it's not working, you could always ship it out to Sony for $100 and swap out for a different one. One thing to definitely check on the system before buying it is the warranty seal(along the left hand side of the console towards the top).

If that's missing then chances are it's been opened to either clean the laser or try to fix it if it had the YLOD.

[quote name='sublime90']hit up the local goodwill tonight and everything is 50% off this week. i noticed a fat OG PS3 for only $150 this week for $75 and was tempted. i already have a PS3 slim. this PS3 only had a controller and no power cable or V/A cables and to be honest it looked a little beat up but im still debating. so in the end i just bought a book for $1. they had like 5 lame ass PS2 games for $2.50 each. not much else.[/QUOTE]

I would ask to test it. Usually they don't mind as long as all the cords are there.
I am still hoping to find a PS3 eventually. I have never got around to buying one. Still waiting for that $100 AWD price.

The older model PS3's run on a PC sized power cord, so if that Goodwill has a section with them available he could always just borrow one from there to test to make sure it at least powers on. But since it's missing the composite cable, he wouldn't know if it was able to output video until he bought it and took it home.:whistle2:#

[quote name='ZombieToast']Ah, okay. I've never returned something there, so I wasn't 100% sure what their policy is.[/QUOTE]

It actually depends. Defective Target stuff is full refund, however you paid. Some things are sold as-is, but are usually marked as such.

I was offered either a refund or a store credit a while ago from the one local Salvation Army when I bought a Sony surround sound unit and got it home to realize it must've had a power surge go through it. It would power on, but within a second or two it would display an error message on the screen.

But I figured it was only $20 and that luck/karma would pay me back somehow. I'd like to think snagging some clearance PSPGo's from Sears was karma's way of making things right for the shitty surround sound unit.;)

I found a Samsung HT-WS1 Soundbar/wireless subwoofer at Goodwill for $50 a few days ago. It was marked "Untested, as-is, no refunds" so I thought it over for a bit. I happened to have a minijack cable in my Jeep for my phone, so I was able to test it. Worked great, so I picked it up.

After getting it home, and hooking it up, I realized that the left speaker has a bit of interference buzz. It turns out this is a common problem, and after messing around, it seems to be triggered by the wireless unit that communicates with the subwoofer. I opened it up and foiled a few wires, and it's helped alot, but there's still a little bit if it's absolutely quiet in the room.

I just finally got it integrated into the rest of my theater setup and it sounds pretty nice. I love the wireless subwoofer since I was able to just stick it behind the couch on the other side of the room, completely out of the way.

Not the greatest $50 ever spent, but not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what's funny about my power surge surround sound unit? I passed up a much older but fully tested Panasonic surround sound/stereo for the same amount. It had only two speakers to it, but all of the necessary hookups to set up my PS3 with it, whereas the Sony one was JUST the unit with no speakers.:cry:

My local GWs do refunds on anything except whatever was the On Sale item of the day.

Im pretty much done with one GW after day, saw $8 stickers on some Atari 2600 games.....checked them, aint worth sh** like I assumed. MORONS

Glad I had a feeling about GW today and went after work.

Mortal Kombat PS3- Sealed, $20

Red Dead Redemption 360- Sealed, $13

LA Noire 360- Sealed, $13

Dragon Age II 360- Sealed, $13

Some Swiss Army laptop carrying case thats $45 on Amazon- Basically Brand New, $20

Just picked this up after work at a local thrift store.

$10 each (kinda pricey, but still cheaper if I buy all via eBay).

dscn8086k.jpg

All complete (All discs in mint condition).

Since all sales are final here, I thought I hit the jackpot with College 2k3, but found out when I got home that the GameCube Version is the rare one lol. I can't believe I wasted $10 on it.

Los Angeles' Cagers there's a few star wars games (a couple duplicate) left on the rack. I just took a snap photo of what's left as of today. The Thrift store is called Alonda Thrift Shop on Alonda Blvd in Bellflower I think.

imag0040yd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a new thrift store in town so I checked it out. Honestly after months of having nowhere to go but the Salvation Army with its overpriced trash, this place was a breath of fresh air. The highest priced stuff was often cheaper than the lowest price would have been at SA, for example they wanted $80 for a big screen TV that would've easily been $250+ at SA. So anyway here's what I got.

Sega CD (no hookups) - $9
Took a gamble on this, but holy crap, it works perfectly. Needs a cleaning badly though.
As a side note, I now have 3 or 4 model 2 Genesis systems and enough power / video cables for maybe 2 at most. Hm.

SNES bundle - $7
Donkey Kong Country, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct
Clear High Frequency control pad
Weird hookups (3rd-party Radioshack power and a Gamecube RF adapter)

Yup, weird little bundle but oddly enough it works. Like the Genesis it's pretty gross but nothing a magic eraser won't take care of.

Wow, $7 for an SNES is a pretty damn good deal considering it has all the hookups and 3 games. Off brand controller or not, awesome for a thrift store!

Edit: Also, lol at the gamestop(?) stickers on the games!

[quote name='postaboy']Just picked this up after work at a local thrift store.

dscn8086k.jpg

All complete (All discs in mint condition).

Since all sales are final here, I thought I hit the jackpot with College 2k3, but found out when I got home that the GameCube Version is the rare one lol. I can't believe I wasted $10 on it.

Los Angeles' Cagers there's a few star wars games (a couple duplicate) left on the rack. I just took a snap photo of what's left as of today. The Thrift store is called Alonda Thrift Shop on Alonda Blvd in Bellflower I think.

imag0040yd.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Ten bucks each?:shock: That's kinda insane for most of those games. The only one I would've likely picked up the duplicate of is the Republic Commando game for :xbox:. Well, maybe that and Battlefront too, since that's hard to find in decent shape(least around here).

Hit a couple of Goodwills yesterday.

Not a ton but I did pick up Rogue Squadron 2 for GC for 5.00 and an official Dreamcast controller for 2.50. The Dreamcast controller needs a cleaning but the stick is flawless, pretty sure this thing has barely been used. I only had 2 official controllers and 2 third party so now I'm only one away from a complete official set.

They also had a slim PS2 with 2 controllers for 30 which I almost got but talked myself out of. Plus, they had a few Japanese PS2 games, two of the Sega Ages (I know Space Harrier and I think Golden Axe) plus the Japanese version of Front Mission 4. They had a couple of PSP games too but I don't have a PSP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Ten bucks each?:shock: That's kinda insane for most of those games. The only one I would've likely picked up the duplicate of is the Republic Commando game for :xbox:. Well, maybe that and Battlefront too, since that's hard to find in decent shape(least around here).[/QUOTE]

yeah the prices for them is ridiculous at this thrift store. All the game discs were in mint condition, I just couldn't pass on them.

Decided to go out to the next closest city and try the thrift stores there.

Hos-Was thrilled to see video games were 50 cents on their sign in the media section, was sad to see no video games. (Did listen to this woman talk to another woman about how good the pictures are on the old CRT TV's that they were selling, just kept going on and on trying to convince themselves that it was a deal.

SA- They just had boxes out in front of the building with people going through them. Got 2 free GI Joes cause the guy said just take em.

Hab-Looked like a consignment furniture store with a lot of real nice items. (Got a 2 dollar snes controller)

GW-This place looked like some refugee camp that just received aid. Jut a building full of those big laundry bins with wheels, and people sorting through the stuff. (nothing, but some decent eye candy for a change.

Independent-Bunch of overpriced everything.

just found a disc only scratched up copy of Conker: Live and Reloaded for $4, I popped in the old xbox and it works just fine.

Also got a couple original xbox controllers for $4 each

[quote name='postaboy']Just picked this up after work at a local thrift store.

dscn8086k.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Why NCAA College Basketball 2K3? The only version that's rare is the Gamecube one..

[quote name='TheHelix']Got a FireRed/LeafGreen guide for 40 cents[/QUOTE]

Sweet! Currently playing through FireRed....I have about 22 hrs into it. Never played any of the GBA pokemons as a kid...only Yellow/Silver...so I figured now is as good of a time as any lol.

[quote name='Scorch']Why NCAA College Basketball 2K3? The only version that's rare is the Gamecube one..[/QUOTE]
There is more to his post after that picture...

[quote name='ZombieToast']Um...because I was talking to him specifically.[/QUOTE]

never mind. I was making a joke...As if I didn't read what you wrote after the quote.

Goodwill has been getting depressing lately...last time I was there, they were asking $40 for a fat PS2 with an inch-thick layer of dust, a generic controller, and a missing CD drive cover. But at least I know where I can get a PS2 guitar controller!

[quote name='slowdive21']never mind. I was making a joke...As if I didn't read what you wrote after the quote.[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, okay, I thought you were genuinely being dense and were under the impression that I was addressing the wrong person. Sorry I ended up making you explain your joke, but when you don't know someone very well, it's hard to know when they're joking online. I've pissed off my fair share of people because of that.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Are those rooms actually 3D? They look like they are.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it. If so, that's fucking awesome and would explain the depth of the board.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Are those rooms actually 3D? They look like they are.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The rooms start at the bottom of the case and the spaces are at the top. It is all covered by glass that the pieces move on.

Finally got a working PS1 for $11 with all cables and two controllers.

Picked up the following titles for $1 each:
Crash Bandicoot (GH)
Crash Bandicoot 2 (GH)
Crash Team Racing Collectors Edition (disc only)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (GH)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Need For Speed V-Rally
Need For Speed: High Stakes

(Unrelated to thrift stores but I also picked up Mega Man 2 (NES) and a 1st party PS1 memory card for $5 each at a local game store)

bread's done
Back