Thrift Store Thread 2012

LOL I guess you have to take pictures cus I got the same Toe Jam and Earl at the same price a few weeks ago and noone said anything. OH WELL

Boxed Epic Mickey Paintbrush Wii Nunchuk- $6
Red Target Edition GBA (no battery cover)- $5

Passed on a Wireless 360 headset and Mario Kart Wii, both opened but complete- $30 apiece

IMG_0190.jpg

Found these badboys at a Goodwill out of town for $3. They're the Genesis Konami Justifiers. Friend was with me and he was claiming the pink one is rare, but I really don't know about them too much, anyone here who can shed some light on these for me? I assume they're for light gun games of course :p

[quote name='C0dy']
IMG_0190.jpg

Found these badboys at a Goodwill out of town for $3. They're the Genesis Konami Justifiers. Friend was with me and he was claiming the pink one is rare, but I really don't know about them too much, anyone here who can shed some light on these for me? I assume they're for light gun games of course :p[/QUOTE]

The pink one is rare. I got mine by mailing away for it, although I think it sold at retail in a bundle for the Genesis. But the pink gun is interchangeable since it plugs into the blue gun and the blue gun has the same port for the SNES and Genesis

I'll readily admit that I've been cleaning up at thrifts recently.

SDC14282.jpg

Paid 75 cents each for the plush, $3 for the Xbox 360 wireless adapter, $3 for the Xbox 360 controller, $1 for Earthworm Jim 2, $2 each for the sealed n64 games, and $4 each for the 3 gameboy colors (one of the gameboys had pokemon yellow in it, the other had Super Mario Land 2 in it. Both were free). I'll clean up the gameboys, put new screens on them, and sell them (might keep the pink one, my gf likes it). Also not pictured is a $3 TI-83 plus and a $3 Logitech trackball mouse. Ebayed the mouse and Craigslisted the TI for $30 each.

SDC14279.jpg

Paid $2 for FF VII discs only. Paid $3 for Streets of Rage 2. Paid $4 each for the SNES games, Battlefront, and Spyro. Paid $5 for Phantasy Star Online I and II. Paid $6 each for Mario Party 6 and Luigi's Mansion. Paid $7 for Super Smash Bros Melee. Paid $9 for Tales of Symphonia. Paid $12 for FFVII Greatest Hits. Paid $13 for KOTOR II: Sith Lords. Every game was complete (except the SNES and FF VII discs, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
Rough week for me. Hit up 3 Goodwills, none impressive. First one as far as games had almost nothing, a copy of the original Ridge Racer for PS1 in the tall box and a bunch of PS2 sports games, about it. The second had a better selection, someone dropped off a bunch of N64/SNES games this week. None complete but I got excited... until I saw them. All sports/racing. I considered copies of Excitebike 64 and 1080 Snowboarding for N64 but I don't even have an N64 and they wanted 5.00 each. Hit one last store which had NOTHING though I did get a good book.

[quote name='slowdive21']Hit up a "savers" and saw a couple of cougars. That is all.[/QUOTE]

We need to start posting these finds too.

I will definitely contribute

Just got back from Goodwill and found a NES with two controllers and Nintendo Zapper for $15. Then i get in the car and i find legend of zelda inside the system

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Just the GTA games for Xbox. All in good conditions, no scuffs and III is missing the manuals. Didn't buy them since I already have the PC versions.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it was the trilogy or not, and also not sure if you ever sell stuff online, but if it was and you do, you could sell that easily for $60 on Amazon.

I recently found a sealed copy at Wal-Mart for $19.96, and sold it on Amazon for $100. Probably could've gotten a bit more but I didn't feel like waiting.

Screen%2520shot%25202012-02-24%2520at%25207.50.51%2520PM.png

^Great find! My co-worker didn't believe me when I said that the Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City were on the original Xbox. He thought just San Andreas was available on it.

[quote name='ThunderChunky62']Just got back from Goodwill and found a NES with two controllers and Nintendo Zapper for $15. Then i get in the car and i find legend of zelda inside the system[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty cool find. The Zelda puts it over the top. If you hook it up and it has a blinking red light and/or doesn't load games well, keep in mind that it's probably an easy fix, requiring a screw driver, 20-30 minutes, and an 8 dollar 72 pin connector.

Stopped by one of the Good Wills that I don't regularly go to and they had a boxed Super Nintendo... They wanted $319.99 for it. Rips and wear on the cardboard, my guess is it wasn't actually new.

They also had a $9.99 GameCube that looked like they actually pulled it out of a mud puddle and the dirtiest Xbox I've ever seen for $25.99, no cords or controllers, just the console.

Some of these idiotic managers at the Good Wills in my area need to stop relying on eBay to price things, not to mention they need to learn to take into account condition of things when pricing them.

[quote name='GoldFly']Not sure if it was the trilogy or not, and also not sure if you ever sell stuff online, but if it was and you do, you could sell that easily for $60 on Amazon.

I recently found a sealed copy at Wal-Mart for $19.96, and sold it on Amazon for $100. Probably could've gotten a bit more but I didn't feel like waiting.

Screen%2520shot%25202012-02-24%2520at%25207.50.51%2520PM.png
[/QUOTE]
#-o#-o#-o#-oI had the double pack for both PS2 and Xbox when I got rid of my PS2/XBox collection on here in one big lot for what I thought was a pretty tidy sum. Of course, now that I'm seeing the value of some of those games go up in value so much I'm kicking myself in the ass.

:whistle2:# The best part about the old Xbox versions was that you could load up your own music and create custom radio stations for the games.:)

[quote name='blindinglights']Stopped by one of the Good Wills that I don't regularly go to and they had a boxed Super Nintendo... They wanted $319.99 for it. Rips and wear on the cardboard, my guess is it wasn't actually new.

They also had a $9.99 GameCube that looked like they actually pulled it out of a mud puddle and the dirtiest Xbox I've ever seen for $25.99, no cords or controllers, just the console.

Some of these idiotic managers at the Good Wills in my area need to stop relying on eBay to price things, not to mention they need to learn to take into account condition of things when pricing them.[/QUOTE]

I see the same crap most of the times I go to Goodwill, as well. In the event that they even have a system for sale, it is generally priced at or above ebay prices. It is also generally dirty, and missing wires or something else. I get that they want to make some money off of it, but they need to keep in mind that people shop there for good deals. Same mentality that I see once in awhile when I see some old gaming system (generally an NES or SNES) at a yard sale being sold by some old woman. It's automatically worth $100 because one sold for that online.

Of course, pricing varies by location. Best to find a location that prices decently. I tend to rarely shop Goodwills, and try to frequent privately owned, for-profit thrift stores that get their goods from other means besides donations (but still charge fair enough prices). It tends to bring in a higher quality of goods, both games and otherwise.

That sounds like the one GW around me that is now only a once a month visit because of sh1t like that. Only GW around that individually prices "good" games and puts them in the glasscase while slapping $4 stickers on the sports crap and tossing them my the vhs's. Its totally the new manager, she worked at the other 2 GWs I go to and knows what I look for. Still trying to sell that $20 copy of Banjo Kazooie thats been there for almost a year....

The 2 closest GWs know whats up- $4 for any game Xbox or older. Doesnt matter if its got Mario on it or its junk. Havent seen too many system recently but usually $5-$30 Xbox or older depending on condition and whats included. Even newer games for 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, DS and BluRays.... are like $25 or less. Ive found 5 3DS games there for $5-$15. Mario Kart7 being one.

Another trip to Goodwill and my wife spots a green N64 with hookups and controller for $15. Of course I picked it up. 3 systems in two weeks for $45 pretty good seeing as I never find anything at this Goodwill

[quote name='juangrande386']That sounds like the one GW around me that is now only a once a month visit because of sh1t like that. Only GW around that individually prices "good" games and puts them in the glasscase while slapping $4 stickers on the sports crap and tossing them my the vhs's. Its totally the new manager, she worked at the other 2 GWs I go to and knows what I look for. Still trying to sell that $20 copy of Banjo Kazooie thats been there for almost a year....[/QUOTE]
We've got a Goodwill nearby that does the same thing, except they don't even put the "better" games in a glass case. Instead, they put them in a plastic bin (not a clear one) behind the counter and I have to ask them to bring it over so I can sort through it (if they even have any left). But on the flipside, I don't think I've ever seen them charge more than $4.95 for a game. The sports junk is usually less than a dollar.

[quote name='ThunderChunky62']Another trip to Goodwill and my wife spots a green N64 with hookups and controller for $15. Of course I picked it up. 3 systems in two weeks for $45 pretty good seeing as I never find anything at this Goodwill[/QUOTE]

Nice find! Someone posted an ad on craigslist this morning(around 9 am) for an Arctic Blue N64 with 2 controllers and Conker's Bad Furday for $40. I called him at 10 and it was already gone:cry:

I tried a couple of local thrift stores and was sorely disappointed. All of these places are owned by damn churches and they jack up the prices like crazy. One place I stopped at had crappy old sport games for $5 each and even the 8-tracks and betamax were way overpriced. Almost everything in the store was junk from the 80's and most of it hasn't gone down in price since then. But I did find a cool Murder Mystery board game at Salvation Army, along with an Elefun and a GoGo's display case. My son already has Elefun, but it needs more butterflies and I can use this old dirty one to practice amping up the power.

Oh, and apparently, the downtown Goodwill that I like to visit is no longer in business. This explains why I had such a hard time remembering where it was a couple of weeks ago.

[quote name='Theenternal']saw this and this recently, but first was floppy, and second one wasn't interested. both were 5.00

indiana+jones+fate+of+atlantis.png
[/QUOTE]
Just saw the exact same thing (CIB 5" floppy) at Salvation Army about 20 minutes ago. The cashier was too busy to help me, so I never found out how much it was, but it was probably $5-$8 like the other Atari 2600 and PC games. I'd go back for it if it's worth anything, but I can't get any idea of its value because it doesn't seem to be selling. I don't know if it's because the ones online are way overpriced or if people simply aren't interested in the game.

I picked up the following games from a further off SA today(all mint n complete, though one of the games has a hole punched through it's freakin' coverart:roll:):

PS1:

Spider
Shipwreckers
Treasures Of The Deep

All were $4.

I left behind Alien Trilogy, the original Wipeout and a handful of other titles for PS1. Those were also all mint/complete.

I found a copy of FFXII and FFX for $3.50 each at a local Goodwill. The strangest part? FFX had two copies of the disc in the case. No clue what to do with it yet.

Hit a local Salvation Army yesterday that has always been a miss for me. That day though, they were selling CDs for 4 for $1.39 (with games mixed in).

While I was perusing, an employee restocked with the PSP and Genesis game I grabbed for $1.99 each.

My first attempt at Thrift Shopping was a forgettable one.

Skipped class this morning because I was going to be late so I decided to check out the Goodwill first. I saw an original Playstation 1 for 7 dollars without cords. I was tempted but I decided against it. Then I saw a Gamecube for 7 dollars that I was VERY interested in until I realized that no cords come with it and it appeared that an adapter of some sort was missing from the bottom. Afterwards, I found a complete Sega Genesis, but it had a 20 dollar price tag, too rich for my blood. I was able to find one Super Nintendo cart, NHL 94 and wasn't interested in it. Then I found a Gamegear copy of Mortal Kombat for $1, I was going to get it but I decided to save my money on the way out of the store. I also saw a few PS1/PS2 games in the back of the store, all Madden, NBA Live and games like that. They also had a shit load of The Sims for PC.

My second stop was at the Salvation Army. I saw 2 games total, one was Duck Hunt for $4.99 (lmao) and a copy of NBA Street Volume 2 for the PS2 that I didn't even bother with since College Hoops 2K8 and NBA 2K11 are the only basketball games for me.

Theres a Gun and Pawn shop across the street and a little Trinkets store next to that. I may check them out later in the week.

[quote name='PocketIguodala']Skipped class this morning because I was going to be late so I decided to check out the Goodwill first.[/QUOTE]

You know what they say, better late than never.

Dropped by my local GW on Saturday and the only thing I found was a box marked $20 and had a fat ps2 with all cables and controller and a black N64 with all cables and two controllers. PS2 works perfect, but I haven't had the chance to test the N64 yet.

As an update to an earlier post, I ended up selling those cameras I found. Ended up with $600 for the Canon GL2, $160 for the Metz flash, and $250 for the Kyocera 35mm. Not too shabby for a $20 investment.

just a quick goodwill story. went to the "will" earlier today and saw a PS3 version of DJ Hero Renegade edition for $20. im like sweeeet cracked it open to see the turntable and paper work, stickers etc all in mint condition, so far so good. wonder what condition the game disc is in.....open the game case and NO game disc to be found anywhere. Nice try will.

Found this for $10 today at a local thrift. The place hasn't been open for too long, and they barely had any games the last time I went in, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a small shelf of games started and to find this one.

Friend and I went to Goodwill yesterday and found a nice stack of PS1 games for $3 each. Discs look fantastic.

Street Fighter Collection 2
Tekken 3 (no manual)
Silent Hill
Resident Evil Survivor
Resident Evil 2 (Greatest Hits)
Clock Tower
Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto 2 (Greatest hits)
Arcade's Greatest Hits: Atari Collection 2

Stopped by Goodwill before grocery shopping yesterday and I snagged the following NES games: Paperboy, Excitebike, Tecmo Bowl, and T&C Surf Designs: Wood & Water Rage (I had never heard of this last one, which doesn't normally happen). They were $2.95 each, which is more than I'd like to pay, but it's incredibly rare to find anything cheaper than that around here and at least these are all a bit cheaper than eBay prices.

Pokemon Red and Pokemon Crystal, cart only- $8 apiece. Obviously these were from the GW with BS prices. Could easily double my $ though.

Adventures of Link, Bad Dudes, Super Mario Bros1, Karate Champ for NES. All 4 in the Nintendo sleeves, booklet for Bad Dudes. - $3 apiece

[quote name='C0dy']Friend and I went to Goodwill yesterday and found a nice stack of PS1 games for $3 each. Discs look fantastic.

Street Fighter Collection 2
Tekken 3 (no manual)
Silent Hill
Resident Evil Survivor
Resident Evil 2 (Greatest Hits)
Clock Tower
Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto 2 (Greatest hits)
Arcade's Greatest Hits: Atari Collection 2[/QUOTE]

Street Fighter 2, Silent Hill and the Clock Tower games were some pretty good scores. My GW doesn't put out games anymore, they get shipped straight to Indy to be put up on the GW website. :whistle2:(

Goodwill
Mario 3D Land (3DS) - 7.99
Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - 5.99

Mario's a Target COB, so it's got a missing barcode. FFVII is missing the manual, but the discs are flawless and it's a black label copy. Works for me. :)

[quote name='juangrande386']Pokemon Red and Pokemon Crystal, cart only- $8 apiece. Obviously these were from the GW with BS prices. Could easily double my $ though.

Adventures of Link, Bad Dudes, Super Mario Bros1, Karate Champ for NES. All 4 in the Nintendo sleeves, booklet for Bad Dudes. - $3 apiece[/QUOTE]

Make sure to check those GB games before you list them, just in case!

Nice finds this week.

[quote name='sp00ge']Dropped by my local GW on Saturday and the only thing I found was a box marked $20 and had a fat ps2 with all cables and controller and a black N64 with all cables and two controllers. PS2 works perfect, but I haven't had the chance to test the N64 yet.

As an update to an earlier post, I ended up selling those cameras I found. Ended up with $600 for the Canon GL2, $160 for the Metz flash, and $250 for the Kyocera 35mm. Not too shabby for a $20 investment.[/QUOTE]

You are now the 2012 cag thrift champion

The cdx guy is second,

Still waiting for someone to find a Neo Geo :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Potatoeman']Make sure to check those GB games before you list them, just in case!

Nice finds this week.[/QUOTE]

Played them alittle on my GBASP, forgot to try the save though. Will test that sometime, just tossed them in my Gameboy case that looks like a giant old school GB for now.

This thread was motivation for me to get out and see what I could find. I went to a few thrift stores this week and found some cool stuff.

First, a cool old game I found. It's almost complete, missing a few cards but still playable. Worth the $0.45.

img0970sm.jpg

Then I found some original NES games in boxes. Sure, the games suck, but I rarely see CIB NES games! Cost= $0.42 :)

img0967m.jpg

Finally, I found this awesome gentex military flight helmet. Looks like these things go for at least a couple hundred $$ online, so score! I even got another astrocom headset with it... and for the low price of $2.50!

img0977ie.jpg

W98eu.jpg

As difficult a deal as that was to resist, I did find a bag of Atari Flashback 2s. Two of them for $25 and the more I think about it, I probably really should have bought them. :/

IMG_20120413_105421.jpg

$3 each. Rarely see any SNES games around here besides at the overpriced flea market stand, so this was a fantastic find.

Got sonic and knuckles cib
Sonic 3 cib
And
The guy game for Xbox for 5 bucks each.

A little pricey but I can flip the guy game for an easy 30 and I don't want it anyways. Even if it is a little sought after.

Pretty good stuff this week

Savers #1:
IMG_0156.JPG

Soul Calibur and Batman - $3.99
PS1 Gameshark and Surf DVD - $1.99

Savers #2:
IMG_0158.JPG

Controller - $4.99
Game - $2.99

Salvation Army #1:

IMG_0157.JPG

$3.99 Each

IMG_0159.JPG

Gamecube game boy player came attached to a GC, no power supply or controller though. $7.99

The other thing is something I'm selling on Amazon.

Also picked up a New York Rangers jersey and a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey. At $4.99 each they should fetch a good amount on eBay since they look brand new. Picture won't upload for some reason though.

I've had a few decent finds recently:

Beatles: Rockband Xbox 360 $5
Wired Rockband fender guitar xbox 360$5
Wireless Rockband Fender guitar 360 $8
Mortal Kombat: deadly Alliance xbox $4
Toejam and Earl genesis cart only $2
Spryo PS1 $2
Abe's oddysee Ps1 $2 also had a Tekken 3 disc in it the case, I even let the clerk know and she didnt' seem to care.

Non video game: Crafstman router table in perfect shape for $10

bread's done
Back