Thrift Store Thread 2012

Well I didn't do too bad right now. did my daily stop at the local thrift and found a Texas Instruments kids calculator thing, and they gave it to me for free. (The Little Professor - 1976 )

just checked ebay and it sells for $20 - $30
now I just need to find a 9v battery to test it 0.o

edit - found a battery, and a works like a charm =D

2012-04-13_13-24-48_21-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SnesGuy']Well I didn't do too bad right now. did my daily stop at the local thrift and found a Texas Instruments kids calculator thing, and they gave it to me for free. (The Little Professor - 1976 )

just checked ebay and it sells for $20 - $30
now I just need to find a 9v battery to test it 0.o

edit - found a battery, and a works like a charm =D
2012-04-13_13-24-48_21-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Very nice. I just saw one of those a couple of weeks ago on some TV show about a pawn shop. I think the guy wanted something around $500 (don't quote me on that) which he of course didn't get. It's certainly not worth a ton of money and it doesn't appear to be highly sought after, but it's still a cool piece and you can definitely make a decent profit.

Dropped by Goodwill and saw a Gamecude with hookups but not controller for $15. Almost went to check out but then thought to myself to recheck to see if there was anything else. So I go back and see a box on the top shelf marked $29.99. So I grabbed said "mystery box" and I find a Dreamcast with hookups, 5 controllers, starfire lightblaster, 2 memory cards, 2 visual memory cards, and Sonic Adventures 2 (doesn't work though). So I of course but the Dreamcast package and leave the Gamecube behind

[quote name='Potatoeman']Survivalism, that's exactly what I thought of when I saw those games! Did he review Hydlide? I don't remember it as well as Top Gun[/QUOTE]

Nice post Survivalism! Yeah AVGN did review Hydlide and the first top gun. Like I said, the games suck... too bad I couldn't find a CIB Jekyll and Hyde ;)

[quote name='ZombieToast']Very nice. I just saw one of those a couple of weeks ago on some TV show about a pawn shop. I think the guy wanted something around $500 (don't quote me on that) which he of course didn't get. It's certainly not worth a ton of money and it doesn't appear to be highly sought after, but it's still a cool piece and you can definitely make a decent profit.[/QUOTE]
That was Storage Wars Texas, and to be fair, the guy that found it is an ex-Dallas Cowboy, not a professional storage unit flipper. :lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']That was Storage Wars Texas, and to be fair, the guy that found it is an ex-Dallas Cowboy, not a professional storage unit flipper. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Oh damn, that's right, it was Storage Wars. I was thinking it was that pawn shop show with the bald guy for some reason. I watched a lot of television for a couple of days (I usually watch no more than an hour each day), so I guess all of the shows kinda blurred together. Heh. Thanks for the correction.

Found Ocarina of Time 3D mint complete for $20 at the will. Picked that up since the lowest I've seen it at retail is $30. Only other notable thing was a long box ps1 baseball game, should I have bought that? (I didn't check the price but knowing this store it was probably sub $5)

[quote name='KtMack23']Found Ocarina of Time 3D mint complete for $20 at the will. Picked that up since the lowest I've seen it at retail is $30. Only other notable thing was a long box ps1 baseball game, should I have bought that? (I didn't check the price but knowing this store it was probably sub $5)[/QUOTE]

If its the game I'm thinking of, no, you shouldn't have even at $4 unless you need a longbox to replace:lol:

Found a complete copy of Sunset Riders, Phantasy Star, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy (ouch - just found out the resale value of this game dropped - it was going for $30 on Nov 11) - all for $5.99 each @ goodwill.

Not sure if the phantasy star's cartridge works since I don't have a system to test it out.

If anybody interested in buying it, just pm or I just hold on to it until I find a system for cheap. I'm asking $15 shipped. If it works, paypal me $15. If it doesn't ship it back to me and leave me good feedback.

downloadzu.jpg

download1vv.jpg

went to my first thrift store after about a year.
found strategy guides for warcraft 2 and diablo 2 for .25 cents each.

http://i.imgur.com/vyUFY.jpg

bent corners on wc2, but not bad other than that.

There was the episode 1 pod racer game for the PC for 3.50. didnt know if it was worth it at that price so i left it there. any input?

[quote name='psynide']

There was the episode 1 pod racer game for the PC for 3.50. didnt know if it was worth it at that price so i left it there. any input?[/QUOTE]

I played the shit out of that game when I was younger, it was a lot of fun back then. Looks like it goes for about $10 used on Amazon and there is only 1 copy on Ebay going for about $15 bucks so it wouldn't have been that bad of a pickup.

[quote name='Montymonster']I played the shit out of that game when I was younger, it was a lot of fun back then. Looks like it goes for about $10 used on Amazon and there is only 1 copy on Ebay going for about $15 bucks so it wouldn't have been that bad of a pickup.[/QUOTE]

it was just a small jewel case with the booklet rubber banded to it. no box or anything. i might go back tomorrow and pick it up.

Picked this up today for $6 at the local goodwill.

Good deal? It seemed like one at the time, but I am kind of having buyer's remorse. I don't have an original Xbox so I can't test it. Looks like I'll be sitting on it for a while.

[quote name='Montymonster']I played the shit out of that game when I was younger, it was a lot of fun back then. Looks like it goes for about $10 used on Amazon and there is only 1 copy on Ebay going for about $15 bucks so it wouldn't have been that bad of a pickup.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what the actual value of the game is, but it's definitely not $10-$15. If it was worth that much, those copies would've been sold by now. BIN asking price isn't an accurate indicator of an item's worth.

I stopped at Goodwill on the way hom from work this evening and saw nothing worth giving a second glace at. I did see a copy of Pokemon Saphire in the jewelry case though with a $15.99 sticker on it. Seriously Goodwill, if that's what it comes down to, just shut down your retail operation, continue accepting donations, unload the valuable stuff on eBay and Amazon, and sell the junk in bulk, stop jerking people around with your insane prices.

[quote name='psynide']

There was the episode 1 pod racer game for the PC for 3.50. didnt know if it was worth it at that price so i left it there. any input?[/QUOTE]

It's certainly not a flip, if that's what you're looking for. If you want to play it, then you have to determine the value yourself.

The video game finds are far and few between at the Goodwills here recently. I used to find all kinds of great stuff 8-10 years ago (like a mint copy of Snatcher for $2.99), but that never happens anymore. The best find we had lately wasn't game related, but toy related for my son. One of the GWs here had a huge assortment of Rescue Heroes action figures for $0.99 each. We bought a dozen and my son hasn't been happier.

IMG_20120416_204205.jpg

All complete in literally perfect condition. Those old Sega Posters are still in a couple of them. $34 for all (each game was priced differently) which is more than I normally pay for stuff but figured I would have to pay a ton more to get all complete online.

I stopped at Goodwill today, and found a copy of Kid Icarus 3DS for $7.99. I bought it. There was also Rage for PC for $7.99 and some crappy PSP games for $7.99 that I didn't bu

I'll take pics later, but yesterday I stopped at the gw and they had a ton of systems. Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 5800, SNES, PSX, Sega Genesis, and Sega Master System. Each system was marked for $35. I wanted the Sega Master System but it was too expensive.

They also had 12 Sega Master System games for 3.99 each. Games like Zillion, Alex Kidd, Afterburner, Shinobi, etc. All together if I wanted the SMS system and games, it would've costed me around $100 and I passed on it.

Instead I bought a bunch of Atari 2600 games. I overpaid for them easily at 3.99 each. Ms Pac Man, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi.

I bought a bunch of Genesis games like Strider for 3.99 as well. Apparently my gw knows about games. They had a copy of Phantasy Star 2 and Phantasy Star 3 behind the counter for 7.99 each. I picked them up.

Lastly I picked up a near mint box of Atari Flashback 2 for $14.99 and I got a brand new Scene It dvd espn sports game for 1.99

For $27 I got (complete unless noted)

Game cube:
Zelda twilight princess (case but no manual)
Crazy taxi
Mario tennis (which also had a smash bros disc in the case)
Mega man collection

Genesis:
Nba jam te
Sonic 1 (no manual)

Ps1:
RE3- nemesis (with Dino crisis demo, all in mint condition)

Good haul I would say.

I stopped at a thrift store and found a snes super mario bros 3 and bought it for $2 ...Even though I do not own the system I figured it would be a nice collectible...

I just bought a miracle piano from a thrift store for $50 kind of worried i paid too much but I'm pretty sure its complete besides the headphones.
$(KGrHqQOKosE6e)dl0OrBPjvIoT2u!~~60_58.JPG

[quote name='Scorpion']I stopped at a thrift store and found a snes super mario bros 3 and bought it for $2 ...Even though I do not own the system I figured it would be a nice collectible...[/QUOTE]

Super Mario 3 on SNES? Should be a fantastic collectible!
:rofl:

[quote name='michaelgetsboss']I just bought a miracle piano from a thrift store for $50 kind of worried i paid too much but I'm pretty sure its complete besides the headphones.
$(KGrHqQOKosE6e)dl0OrBPjvIoT2u!~~60_58.JPG
[/QUOTE]

I probably would have bought it at that price. I have always wanted one of those. Buying one online you would probably be paying $20 in shipping or so. So if you overpaid, which Im not sure you did, you probably couldn't get one much cheaper complete. Cheapest one I see on Ebay is $140 boxed.

Had a great day. Hit two pawn shops and three Thrift stores. The best thing I found at the first four stops was a copy of Riven which I couldn't buy because I had no cash and nothing else in their store was worth anything and they require cash on purchases under 10 dollars. Find that that edition is available on ebay for about 5 dollars so I don't really care. But at the last Goodwill I hit they had a whole bunch of Gamecube games. I see Kirby Air Ride and pick it up, behind it is Phantasy Star Online Episode III. Behind that is Wind Waker. In the next column they have Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life and Pikmin 2! To say I was happy would be an understatement. The cases have a few nicks but are in mostly good shape and all have good shape manuals. Get up to the counter and the disc for Harvest Moon is nowhere to be found, no idea where it is. They went through their entire CD booklet, its just gone. I didn't care that much, mainly wanted Pikmin and Zelda. She rang them up at the CD price instead of the game price. So 12.50 for all 4 including tax!

Even better, I get out to the car and there's a memory card 251 in the Pikmin 2 case that I hadn't noticed.

img20120419122603.jpg

img20120419122512.jpg

Kind of want to go back... the memory card has Pikmin 2 and Kirby Air Ride save data... also has Tales of Symphonia save data. I wonder if they had more they hadn't put out yet. Unlikely it seems, doesn't take long to put games out but you never know. Seems unlikely it was already bought as anyone who knew TOS was worth anything would have known Pikmin 2 was. Still, possible there could have been more to come as I doubt these were out long, they'd have been gone. Anyone think it'd be worth checking? He could have rented or borrowed or previously sold TOS... but then, he could not have...

I hit a couple of thrifts at lunch. At the first one I found a Sonic the hedgehog Boom! CD, which is a soundtrack for a couple of the games. I found a couple of other CDs also. The big score, through, was an Estes ColdPower Convertible Rocket Kit. I haven't opened the box yet, but I'm pretty pumped about it. It's a model rocket kit that seeming runs on Freon, which obviously makes it rare.

At the second I found a couple of minorly flippable sealed TV seasons for $7 each as well as "The Road to Game 2131" on CD, which seems to be a rare CD talking about Cal Ripkin's record-breaking streak of games. The only listing on Amazon is for $500, which I'm sure is absurd. Anybody have any ideas on pricing?

[quote name='Bing147']Kind of want to go back... the memory card has Pikmin 2 and Kirby Air Ride save data... also has Tales of Symphonia save data. I wonder if they had more they hadn't put out yet. Unlikely it seems, doesn't take long to put games out but you never know. Seems unlikely it was already bought as anyone who knew TOS was worth anything would have known Pikmin 2 was. Still, possible there could have been more to come as I doubt these were out long, they'd have been gone. Anyone think it'd be worth checking? He could have rented or borrowed or previously sold TOS... but then, he could not have...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't make a special trip back, but if you're going by there anyway it might be worth stopping.

[quote name='schuerm26']I probably would have bought it at that price. I have always wanted one of those. Buying one online you would probably be paying $20 in shipping or so. So if you overpaid, which Im not sure you did, you probably couldn't get one much cheaper complete. Cheapest one I see on Ebay is $140 boxed.[/QUOTE]

I passed on one at a yard sale last year. When I found out what it was worth i was pretty frustrated, but not as frustrated as my wife would have been if I'd brought that box into the house.

Visited a couple of thrift stores and a pawn shop...

At the thrift stores:
Link's Awakening
Shining Force 2 (In a Shining Force box)
Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
Soul Calibur

The last two are for me, the first two will probably go to the lowball...only because I love you guys so much.

Also saw a sealed copy of Strawberry Shortcake but I wasn't going to buy it for 10 bucks...

[quote name='schuerm26']

Anyone have any information on this? I can't seem to find it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

That was the first DVD my family ever bought, I got it as a gift on Christmas 1999 or 2000. It's pretty dang awesome, I still have it! But it's not a bootleg, I remember my Papa saying he bought it at the electronics store back on the Air Force base we lived on back then. :D

[quote name='schuerm26']That is definitely it. Wonder what it is worth. I couldn't find one on ebay or find it on Amazon. ISBN number doesn't show up on Amazon either. That site doesn't have any for purchase.

Edit: Typed it into google. Found some stuff. 1 on ebay for $40[/QUOTE]

You don't like Dragon Ball? Keep that!

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']You don't like Dragon Ball? Keep that![/QUOTE]

Never seen it. Don't watch any of that stuff. Was at a thrift store and saw it for $3.98 and figured I might as well buy it.

[quote name='schuerm26']Never seen it. Don't watch any of that stuff. Was at a thrift store and saw it for $3.98 and figured I might as well buy it.[/QUOTE]

Watch it. It's good. I love the original Dragon Ball series. Way better than Z.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I wouldn't make a special trip back, but if you're going by there anyway it might be worth stopping.[/QUOTE]

I did check back as its not far. Not only was nothing new out but the games I passed on (finding nemo, crash, sonic riders, a couple of sealed xbox controller s) were gone too. Tells me I need to hit before noon to have a shot. Good to know.

Surprised the sealed s are worthless. Almost bought them to flip only to find they are on ebay for 6 dollars with bin. Goodwill wanted 5 each. Good if I had use for them but I don't have an original xbox and as there are only like... 6 xbox games not backward compatible I have any interest in, it is not a priority.

[quote name='schuerm26']

Anyone have any information on this? I can't seem to find it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly that is the original dub from back from like 1990. I remember watching it on tv when I was like 7. That is funny that it is on ebay for 40. I remember like 10 years ago it was super cheap at Suncoast all the time and just sitting there. Nobody wanted it since it was so edited and changed with the dub.

More Gameboy games from the same GW- Tetris, Metroid2, Super Mario Land 2, and Donkey Kong Land- $4 apiece

Guess the manager didnt see these

[quote name='schuerm26']That is definitely it. Wonder what it is worth. I couldn't find one on ebay or find it on Amazon. ISBN number doesn't show up on Amazon either. That site doesn't have any for purchase.

Edit: Typed it into google. Found some stuff. 1 on ebay for $40[/QUOTE]

I remember picking this up years ago from the Wal-Mart $5 bin. It really shouldn't be worth anything at all since the entire orginal Dragon Ball series was reissued on DVD a few years ago. That doesn't mean that it isn't worth anything though, I'm not sure. I just donated mine to Goodwill ahen I bought the updated Dragonball DVD sets.

[quote name='spmahn']I remember picking this up years ago from the Wal-Mart $5 bin. It really shouldn't be worth anything at all since the entire orginal Dragon Ball series was reissued on DVD a few years ago. That doesn't mean that it isn't worth anything though, I'm not sure. I just donated mine to Goodwill ahen I bought the updated Dragonball DVD sets.[/QUOTE]Y

Yeah I have no clue. I just saw one listed for $40 on ebay buy it now. We all know how those work though. Who knows what someone will actually pay for it.

today i got a colecovision boxed copy of bc II: grogs revenge without the manual for 3.70. they also had boxed colecovision copies of root beer tapper and illusions that i did not purchase so somebody will have a good find.

I went to several thrifts today and turned up literally nothing. I know I've said this before, but all the thrift stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, the whole lot of them, need to get their head out of their ass and lower their prices, at the rate the are going they're going to price themselves out of business within a year or two. Every store is the same, some are better than others, but it all boils down to prices that are too high for items that aren't worth it. Who in their right freakin mind is going to buy a Gamecube with no power cable, an AV cord, and one controller with a big sticker on it that says AS IS for $40!!! Walking through the electronics area is a joke, literally 80% of the items that get stocked there should have gone in the trash, and not priced and placed out for sale. And why do these stores even continue to accept CRT Television sets, VCRs, and VHS tapes? Every store I go to has more of these then they will ever know what to do with, they should be giving them away for free, not trying to sell them for $30.

I really could go on and on, but I would neither be shocked nor saddened to see Goodwill start closing up shop on their retail side, converting stores into strictly donation centers, and doing the majority of their business online.

OK, I was on my way home and I said to myself "I should stop at Savers."

They had a genesis complete for 6.99, but I left it since I have 8-10 of them and then I saw this:

$6.99 complete NES. Tested it and everything works. NESes always sell well, plus I can fix/mod them, so I picked it up.

e603c00a.jpg

Then I saw it. This was sitting on the shelf. I immediately snatched it up and didn't put it back down until I was in my car.

Paid .49 Videoblaster

66feeba3.jpg

6f37c71e.jpg

fa44cf30.jpg

2dde854e.jpg

f40eb43b.jpg

:bouncy:

bread's done
Back