Thrift Store Thread 2012

Great find, that same Nintendo set would have been $39.99 at every Savers in this area. That does remind me of something Savers does which pisses me off, and that's stick their stupid price label on boxes and book covers and labels, and then it's impossible to remove it without tearing something.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319584[/QUOTE]

What is the point of your linking to this thread? Have you even read the whole thing? There is no correct answer, some felt that it was strictly economic principals at play, other agreed with me that it was some straight economic principals, as well as a number of extraneous factors manipulating the market beyond basic economic factors. Neither side is necessarily wrong, but I'm not going to argue it anymore.

Went to a new Goodwill today and found nearly nothing. A bunch of sports games and Guitar Hero games but that's it. They did have a couple of Guitar controllers for 10 each. They had an N64 racing wheel and a PS1 racing wheel for 10 each but I have neither system. They had a Duke controller for the Xbox but I have that neither and so passed. There was a Balance Board for Wii in terrible shape for 40. I was about to leave when I remembered that someone recently told me some of the more obscure systems (Master System/Turbografx/Jaguar/etc) sometimes get stuck with DVD players as no one knows what they are. So I decide to check. I'm shocked to see a 3DO marked 10.91 just listed on the tag as Panasonic Interactive Player. No AV cable or controller and couldn't find it but it was plugged in and came on, opened it and there was a copy of PGA Tour 96 inside. Bought it and got it home, found some AV cables. Works great, the game loads up and it will load a CD too. Can't actually use it without the controller but ordering one on EBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up the following for just under $30:

Nothing too notable. I think this is the third copy of DKC and Mario Allstars I've found in the past week or two. I don't know anything about the Playstation joystick, but for $3 I thought it was a safe bet. Looks like there are 1-2 completed listings on ebay in the $20-$25 range.

Logitech Harmony 880 remote with all paperwork, cd, charging cradle and charger. $3.99 at goodwill. Yay! Charging this bad boy up right now. Does anyone know how to reset these things to factory settings? Gonna mess with it when its done charging...

[quote name='lude21']Logitech Harmony 880 remote with all paperwork, cd, charging cradle and charger. $3.99 at goodwill. Yay! Charging this bad boy up right now. Does anyone know how to reset these things to factory settings? Gonna mess with it when its done charging...[/QUOTE]

It is likely that you will have to replace the battery, but they can be had for $20-30, or you can try and call them, sometimes I have seen them switch them out WAY outside of the warranty period.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']It is likely that you will have to replace the battery, but they can be had for $20-30, or you can try and call them, sometimes I have seen them switch them out WAY outside of the warranty period.[/QUOTE]

I bought an aftermarket battery on ebay for my harmony 720. The battery is working fine so far, and it was under $10.

Thx for the help, but after it fully charged it had me set it up and install it so the thing was probably never used! Works great!

[quote name='lude21']Thx for the help, but after it fully charged it had me set it up and install it so the thing was probably never used! Works great![/QUOTE]

Whether it was used or not you got a great deal.

I picked these up from Goodwill for $2 each.

img1604s.jpg

[quote name='te619']I picked these up from Goodwill for $2 each.

[/QUOTE]

Oh SHIT motherfucker, is dat some chameleon TWIST up in here???

Time to get TWIIIIIIWIWWIWIESTEEEEEDD
wzzMI.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Professor Layton and the curious villiage $2.99 complete
Gabriel Knight 3 PC $2.99 big box complete

Also, I found this at a goodwill the other day for $20

eaiKx.jpg

The outer box is quite beaten up, but it powers on. It doesn't have the games so it isn't CIB either :/ still, for $20, was hard to pass up.

^ Nice! I found a SMS boxed last year at the flea market for $5. Unfortunately it doesn't power on.

I had some decent finds today, but I won't have time for pics until the weekend (Garage sales are starting up tomorrow). Let's just say someone donated a few of the games from their (or a family member's) "keep" pile on accident...

Really annoying day. Hit three Goodwills. One had nothing. At another I almost picked up Rogue Squadron 3 and Katamari Damacy but passed. The third though had some stuff. They had a copy of Final Fantasy 9 which I grabbed for 5.05. Only thing I bought. Original case and discs in great shape. Non greatest hits. Small crack in the case and no manual but I'll take it. But the really annoying part was the other games they had. They had a ton of NES games and a couple SNES ones. The SNES were Donkey Kong Country and Final Fight. 5.05 each, considered but passed. The NES games, they had all three Marios, Mario Bros., two copies of Zelda, a few others as well. They wanted 8.98 for most of them and they wanted 19.99 for the Zeldas. I verified the prices were correct, the girl went to the back to see if they were priced right because she thought that was insane, came back and the manager said he didn't know but he'd check with the pricing guy when he comes in tomorrow. I may swing back by but I'm sure not paying those prices...

I need to score a stack of non sports snes carts.

Its been about a year without a find for me. Although lots of xbox, ps2, psone, Genny, N64, Nes, even had Saturn, Sega CD, Turbo Graphic 16.

i never find retro games in my area... the oldest ive seen so far is PS1 which is kinda sad... i think my neighborhood are late bloomers when it comes to video games... sucks!

It helps to be in a large town. My city is enormous and I drive all over the place to find the stuff I get, so it definitely isn't one magic Goodwill that churns out good stuff :p

I dunno, I'm in Atlanta and have yet to find anything good at a good price older than PS1 and my 3DO. The 3DO I probably got lucky on because no one knows what it is.

Then again, I only hit 4 Goodwills. Too far to any others.

[quote name='Potatoeman']It helps to be in a large town. My city is enormous and I drive all over the place to find the stuff I get, so it definitely isn't one magic Goodwill that churns out good stuff :p[/QUOTE]

Yes and No. I left a n64 basketball game on the shelf and someone bought it by the time I left the store. There are so many collector's and resellers, I have to visit each store once a twice a day to find anything.

Well, if we're really going to get down to it, it's down to luck. The stuff I usually find I only find because it was put out the day I found it. I don't think I've ever bought something that's been sitting out for more than a week, if that.

I'd say that since the larger towns have typically more Goodwills and more people in the town donating to them, you have a better chance to get lucky since there's a larger pool of items than the smaller towns, if we're generalizing everything.

Here are some finds from the last couple weeks

IMG_0197.JPG

Gameboy - $7
Fantastic 4 - $.50
These were from some new little thrift shop with obscure crap.

IMG_0198.JPG

About $3 each. One at savers one at salvation army. Hadn't had a chance to test them yet... should be interesting.

IMG_0199.JPG

Photoshop CS3 - $.99 at a little thrift shop. :lol: See spoiler...
DBZ 3 - $2 at Savers. Complete

I was wondering if anyone had any input on selling software and your experience with it. I've sold some microsoft office stuff on eBay with no trouble but idk if the photoshop product keys work the same way. Any input is appreciated.

I went to a "thrift store" today called Propaganda Palace. It just moved into the downtown area right by my school. They had an amazing selection of games, for about DOUBLE ebay/amazon prices. Copies of FF7 were $60 a piece, big box Lunar was $90, Suikoden(I) for $50 were some memorable ones. It was a cool little place but damn those prices were god awful.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']i never find retro games in my area... the oldest ive seen so far is PS1 which is kinda sad... i think my neighborhood are late bloomers when it comes to video games... sucks![/QUOTE]

Honestly, the time for finding a large number of Pre-PS1 retro games at the thrift stores has past, I've been going to Goodwill regularly for over 10 years now, and the pool of NES and SNES games out there has gotten smaller and smaller. At this point, most of the parents whose kids had the games growing up have already gotten rid of them. A large portion of SNES and NES era stuff is already in the hands of collectors or resellers, another large portion was probably trashed by parents or kids who didn't want to deal with it, or will be sitting in someones attic or closet forever to be forgotten about. I would probably be willing to bet that there are now more SNES and NES games tied up in one of these scenarios than there are available for potential buyers not on eBay, Amazon, or some overpriced shop. I haven't seen more than a few NES or SNES titles outside of a handful of dirt commons in any sort of non-eBay non-GameXChange type place in years.

The reason we see a lot of PS1 and N64 stuff now is because the kids who grew up with those have finally moved on, and parents are dumping that stuff now. In a few years it'll be the PS2 games we'll see en-masse, and people will be asking where all the PS1 stuff went, it's the circle of thrift.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Also, I found this at a goodwill the other day for $20

The outer box is quite beaten up, but it powers on. It doesn't have the games so it isn't CIB either :/ still, for $20, was hard to pass up.[/QUOTE]

hehe, the reason it doesnt have the games is because they are built into the console itself preloaded. reminds me of zoolander "the files are IN the computer" haha. the games are IN the master system. so you actually have both of those games. thats a great find btw, excellent price. very jealous, thats worth at the very least $75

[quote name='Potatoeman']I went to a "thrift store" today called Propaganda Palace. It just moved into the downtown area right by my school. They had an amazing selection of games, for about DOUBLE ebay/amazon prices. Copies of FF7 were $60 a piece, big box Lunar was $90, Suikoden(I) for $50 were some memorable ones. It was a cool little place but damn those prices were god awful.[/QUOTE]

oh really what school was it? and its a thrift store that only sells games? or is it a specialty game store?

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']hehe, the reason it doesnt have the games is because they are built into the console itself preloaded. reminds me of zoolander "the files are IN the computer" haha. the games are IN the master system. so you actually have both of those games. thats a great find btw, excellent price. very jealous, thats worth at the very least $75[/QUOTE]

Oh, well thanks! Ihad no idea. I was wondering where the games would even fit considering the box is full to the top:lol:

Downtown SA area is where the shop is. They sold mainly games, but they had a large selection of albums and laser disc stuff, as well as other misc "retro" items.

got this at the spca thrift store in my town yesterday for $3 didnt come with anything but it turns on, at first i thought it didnt work but then my brother pointed out it boots from a floppy so i ordered some os6 on floppy and hopefully that will do the trick.
photo.png

"I went to a "thrift store" today called Propaganda Palace. It just moved into the downtown area right by my school. They had an amazing selection of games, for about DOUBLE ebay/amazon prices. Copies of FF7 were $60 a piece, big box Lunar was $90, Suikoden(I) for $50 were some memorable ones. It was a cool little place but damn those prices were god awful."

Hey Potatoeman! You must be in San Antonio. Yeah the reason PP has some much inventory is b/c they NEVER sell anything! Haha. I do agree they have an amazing selection, but what good does that do if everything's overpriced? Even Game Over is cheaper than PP.

Yup! Game Over is much more reasonable (in comparison).

Game over is actually doing a B2G1 this weekend btw if you were interested. Mostly overpriced stuff, but sometimes there's decent pricing.

Bought some more games today at the thrift store. Not as good as my last group (haven't posted that group yet either) but I had $20 in store credit to burn by the end of the day.

[quote name='slowdive21']Bought some more games today at the thrift store. Not as good as my last group (haven't posted that group yet either) but I had $20 in store credit to burn by the end of the day.[/QUOTE]
Do you get the credit for donating stuff? And is this a national chain or just a local thrift store? I believe I've seen something like this discussed on the forum at some point, but I wouldn't know where to look.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Do you get the credit for donating stuff? And is this a national chain or just a local thrift store? I believe I've seen something like this discussed on the forum at some point, but I wouldn't know where to look.[/QUOTE]

It was at "Savers". They would give you and a friend $10 certs if you each donated a bag and if you both signed up for their store card (free). It was a limited time offer, so I had to burn up the credit today. Luckily, I have seen the same people the past 4 days, so they put out some more games for me. Nothing great, but it was easy to buy some 99 cent games to use up the credit.

Although it's not a terribly exciting promo, it'd be nice if some of the stores around here would do something like that because I have a lot of junk to unload and it'd be nice to get something for it. It's too bad we don't have Savers in our area; I've seen it mentioned in this thread several times and it sounds a heck of a lot nicer than any thrift stores we have.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Although it's not a terribly exciting promo, it'd be nice if some of the stores around here would do something like that because I have a lot of junk to unload and it'd be nice to get something for it. It's too bad we don't have Savers in our area; I've seen it mentioned in this thread several times and it sounds a heck of a lot nicer than any thrift stores we have.[/QUOTE]

It's basically a Goodwill with better prices. It seems like they turn stuff around quickly, so there is fresh stock daily.

What's nice about the promo is you still get a tax deduction form (which also has a $3 off coupon on it). Once in a while Goodwill runs 'sales', but it is usually only on clothing.

Plus every $5 you spend they have a punch card that gives you 30% off a purchase once it is filled.

My Goodwills have a 50% off color each week but since gaming stuff never lasts more than a few days you can't wait until the color comes around, once in awhile you get lucky but not often as they generally don't put things out as the color of the current week.

I saw TIE Fighter, X-Wing,and a few other old, obscure floppy disk DOS games for $5 each at one of the local Goodwills today. They were all in near-perfect condition and even came in their original boxes. I forgot how huge PC game boxes used to be, by the way.

Anyway, TIE Fighter is practically my favorite game. Period. I was so tempted to jump on it for collecting's sake (it was in perfect condition, after all!), but I don't even have a floppy drive any longer (surprise, right?) and I have the updated collector's edition discs, anyway. *sigh* Watch me swing by tomorrow and grab it, anyway.

Oh, and it seems like they like FFX. This is the second time I've went and there's been another copy of it put out - it was $2 this time instead of the $3.50 when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Other than that, though, I haven't really found any decent video games in the times I've been there.

Wait, is there any interest for complete, in-box Master System games? There were quite a few of those, too, along with some crappy Genesis/SNES titles (sports titles, mostly).

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Wait, is there any interest for complete, in-box Master System games? There were quite a few of those, too, along with some crappy Genesis/SNES titles (sports titles, mostly).[/QUOTE]
I'm always interested in CIB Sega stuff, just not sports games.
IMG_20120426_151112.jpg

Very amusing day at the thrifts :V

[quote name='aptanor']I'm always interested in CIB Sega stuff, just not sports games.[/QUOTE]

Welp, I'll keep you in mind next time I head out that way. I'll jot down what they are and let ya know - I don't think any of 'em were rare, but I'm not well-versed in Master System stuff (I do remember that one of the titles was a Hang On + Safari Hunt combo pack and, judging from the 1 cent Amazon prices, that's not so rare). They've been there for the past few weeks and I doubt they'll be going anywhere fast. ;)

How much did you pay for the N64, by the way? I saw one here last week that came with a power cord + Perfect Dark for $15, but I already have both a black and jungle green one and didn't see a point in grabbing another for what was (in my opinion) an average price.

I found some good stuff this week

Mario party 2 $5
Mario kart 64 $5
2 original Xbox controllers $2!

And this for $8, it was sealed
bdacf023.jpg

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Welp, I'll keep you in mind next time I head out that way. I'll jot down what they are and let ya know - I don't think any of 'em were rare, but I'm not well-versed in Master System stuff (I do remember that one of the titles was a Hang On + Safari Hunt combo pack and, judging from the 1 cent Amazon prices, that's not so rare). They've been there for the past few weeks and I doubt they'll be going anywhere fast. ;)

How much did you pay for the N64, by the way? I saw one here last week that came with a power cord + Perfect Dark for $15, but I already have both a black and jungle green one and didn't see a point in grabbing another for what was (in my opinion) an average price.[/QUOTE]
Was $10. Mostly grabbed it as my brother needed an expansion pack and the controller stick felt practically new.

bread's done
Back