Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='Deserter Goose'](I do remember that one of the titles was a Hang On + Safari Hunt combo pack and, judging from the 1 cent Amazon prices, that's not so rare).[/QUOTE]

Hang On + Safari Hunt is to the Master System what Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt is to the NES.

[quote name='Rex24']Went to Jarrod and Brandi's store (from Storage Wars) and found these. [/QUOTE]

Cool if you collect Genesis stuff, but man, you got hosed on those prices! As long as you're satisfied though.

[quote name='GoldFly']

I was wondering if anyone had any input on selling software and your experience with it. I've sold some microsoft office stuff on eBay with no trouble but idk if the photoshop product keys work the same way. Any input is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Don't try to sell that copy of Photoshop on eBay. You will have your listing pulled within a day and you will get a policy violation from eBay for "Copyright Infringement" (even if the copy is completely legitimate). Adobe's legal team is ridiculous and pounces on used listings with an incredible swiftness. Try selling it on Craigslist.

Also, serial keys for Adobe products can only be active on a certain number of computers - if the original owner never deactivated, you won't be able to install that copy.

Found a Kodascope Model b 16mm projector for $25.
Sadly, it's not running (motor or gears seem seized up), but it's still beautiful.

This weeks Goodwill and thrift store scores:
M-Audio Key Rig 25 CIB $9.99, SNES Interact Arcade Duo Fight Stick 3.99, Macross model kit $1.49, Tandy 2 Player Baseball Mint CIB $10, Alice PC CIB $5, Sewer Shark Sega CD x2 $3.99 Sealed, Sonic CD $3.99 Sealed, Lot of 5 Turbo Grafx Games (Keith Courage, TV Sports Football, China Warrior, Victory Run, Legendary Axe 2) $9.99, SNES Zelda, Contra 3, Super Metroid, & Final Fight 2 $2.50 each, Gamecube Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4 & 5(both had a memory card inside), Super Smash Bros Melee $3.99 Each, Green N64 with Mario Party and 1 controller $9.99, Balloon Fight NES $3.99, Long Box and regular PS1 games were 75% off so some were about $1.75 to $2 each, Sony LCD TV with input and outputs $4.99 CIB

l.jpg

[quote name='syphic']This weeks Goodwill and thrift store scores:
M-Audio Key Rig 25 CIB $9.99, SNES Interact Arcade Duo Fight Stick 3.99, Macross model kit $1.49, Tandy 2 Player Baseball Mint CIB $10, Alice PC CIB $5, Sewer Shark Sega CD x2 $3.99 Sealed, Sonic CD $3.99 Sealed, Lot of 5 Turbo Grafx Games (Keith Courage, TV Sports Football, China Warrior, Victory Run, Legendary Axe 2) $9.99, SNES Zelda, Contra 3, Super Metroid, & Final Fight 2 $2.50 each, Gamecube Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 4 & 5(both had a memory card inside), Super Smash Bros Melee $3.99 Each, Green N64 with Mario Party and 1 controller $9.99, Balloon Fight NES $3.99, Long Box and regular PS1 games were 75% off so some were about $1.75 to $2 each, Sony LCD TV with input and outputs $4.99 CIB

l.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm subscribed to you on Youtube. You guys must have the best Goodwills in the country, out there in LA. If I could find 1/4 of the stuff you've found at my Goodwill, I'd be a happy camper.

Finally got lucky at a yard sale. Lady was selling her husbands games all are in excellent condition and they even have the receipt with each one. I paid $7 for the lot
1e2b83c0.jpg
[/IMG]

[quote name='Rex24']Went to Jarrod and Brandi's store (from Storage Wars) and found these. [/QUOTE]

Sweet, man...hope you got a peek at Brandi's rack, worth the price of admission! Really, I hope you did...you paid a bit much for those games.

[quote name='rexflexall']Sweet, man...hope you got a peek at Brandi's rack, worth the price of admission! Really, I hope you did...you paid a bit much for those games.[/QUOTE]

I live in Socal and would totally go down there to see Brandi's Rack. Is she really at the store?

[quote name='Doomstink']Don't try to sell that copy of Photoshop on eBay. You will have your listing pulled within a day and you will get a policy violation from eBay for "Copyright Infringement" (even if the copy is completely legitimate). Adobe's legal team is ridiculous and pounces on used listings with an incredible swiftness. Try selling it on Craigslist.

Also, serial keys for Adobe products can only be active on a certain number of computers - if the original owner never deactivated, you won't be able to install that copy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. Only a 99 cent investment after all. I'll figure something out.

I hit up the DeWitt(NY) Salvation Army while I was up in the area for work today. I ended up picking up nothing, but I was kinda shocked by the sheer number of consoles and games they had in the one display case up front.

They must've had 2-5 original Xbox systems(all console only by the looks of it:cry:), 3 original grey PS1's, 1 PSone and at least a couple Gamecubes.

The only decent games they had were two PS1 games: Virtual Pool and Tiny Toon Adventures: The Great Beanstalk(which I think I already have here someplace). The only other non sports or DDR game they had was Asteroids for PS1, but that was mangled.

I shoulda probably bought Virtual Pool and TTA: TGB since VP was only $.99 and TTA was $1.99, but I think I'm done buying random games from thrift stores unless it's something I know that has actual value anymore.:whistle2:#

No more wondering about one GW, they had a few printouts from Ebay auctions taped to some items in the glasscase! BS to the max

[quote name='juangrande386']No more wondering about one GW, they had a few printouts from Ebay auctions taped to some items in the glasscase! BS to the max[/QUOTE]

Aye, I see that every once in a while around here. Most of the time the pricing people don't care enough to check though.

I saw a complete copy of Shenmue for Dreamcast at GW last year with a 24.99 asking price. They had printed a listing that sold on ebay for 29.99 that was in mint condition and likely an international buyer or some other nonsense. The copy they had on display had massive cracking on the case and broken hinges, as well as scratched discs.:roll:

:lol:
Some of the stores do that around here every once in a while.
They don't bother to check for sold items. They just print out a listing for whatever the highest price.
Sad thing is, I'm sure someone will pay those prices... and think they're getting a deal.

Quick question. I picked up a clean looking xbox at a thrift store and the power button doesn't work, but the eject button powers on the console. I tested it with halo and it seems to work except for the power button. Is this a common problem with the systems? Is it easy to fix?

[quote name='juangrande386']No more wondering about one GW, they had a few printouts from Ebay auctions taped to some items in the glasscase! BS to the max[/QUOTE]
Sure it sucks. But these stores are run by charities and the proceeds from their sales go to helping to keep the programs they run going. It's not their job to price shit dirt cheap just so you can buy them for a $1-2 each and either resell them yourself or put them on your shelf to let them collect dust as part of a collection forever.:roll:

Don't get me wrong. I get perturbed when I see these high prices too, especially at the Salvation Army stores here where anything gaming related is treated like gold nine times outta ten.

But you do on occasion get a deal or three and that's what matters. The fun in deal hunting is hunting for the deals, even if it takes you 10-20 tries to actually find something for the price you're willing to pay.

[quote name='mguiddy']:lol:
Some of the stores do that around here every once in a while.
They don't bother to check for sold items. They just print out a listing for whatever the highest price.
Sad thing is, I'm sure someone will pay those prices... and think they're getting a deal.[/QUOTE]

My favorite thing is when they get the Target clearance stuff, rip the clearance tag in half so only the original price shows and then price the item 10-20% below that. If it didn't sell at Target for 70-90% off, why in the hell would you think it would sell for only 20% off the original price?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sure it sucks. But these stores are run by charities and the proceeds from their sales go to helping to keep the programs they run going. It's not their job to price shit dirt cheap just so you can buy them for a $1-2 each and either resell them yourself or put them on your shelf to let them collect dust as part of a collection forever.:roll:

Don't get me wrong. I get perturbed when I see these high prices too, especially at the Salvation Army stores here where anything gaming related is treated like gold nine times outta ten.

But you do on occasion get a deal or three and that's what matters. The fun in deal hunting is hunting for the deals, even if it takes you 10-20 tries to actually find something for the price you're willing to pay.[/QUOTE]

But the problem with this is, and with anyone trying to use eBay/Amazon prices to justify their asking price (thrift, yard sales, etc) is that eBay/Amazon are a global market, with a worldwide reach to customers who are looking for said item and will pay said price to get it. These stores are selling in a local market, and with that comes a FAR lower customer base that is really in search of that item AND willing to pay that price.

Like I tell these people at the flea and yard sales, if you want eBay prices, do the work and sell it on eBay.

I'm not saying "sell it to me for dirt cheap" but come on, be realistic. There's this one woman at the local flea that's been trying to sell the same Scene It bundle for almost two years for $80, because someone at some point had one listed for that on Amazon, and she has the printout taped to it. Yet I bet she wonders why she can't sell it, but is too damn stubborn to lower her asking price.

That store is real? I thought the show was fake. I really only watch when nothing else is on and for her rack.

[quote name='sp00ge']But the problem with this is, and with anyone trying to use eBay/Amazon prices to justify their asking price (thrift, yard sales, etc) is that eBay/Amazon are a global market, with a worldwide reach to customers who are looking for said item and will pay said price to get it. These stores are selling in a local market, and with that comes a FAR lower customer base that is really in search of that item AND willing to pay that price.

Like I tell these people at the flea and yard sales, if you want eBay prices, do the work and sell it on eBay.

I'm not saying "sell it to me for dirt cheap" but come on, be realistic. There's this one woman at the local flea that's been trying to sell the same Scene It bundle for almost two years for $80, because someone at some point had one listed for that on Amazon, and she has the printout taped to it. Yet I bet she wonders why she can't sell it, but is too damn stubborn to lower her asking price.[/QUOTE]
Which Scene It bundle? I ask because I distinctly remember one for the 360 being $5-10 at Kmart back when they did regular clearance drops.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sure it sucks. But these stores are run by charities and the proceeds from their sales go to helping to keep the programs they run going. It's not their job to price shit dirt cheap just so you can buy them for a $1-2 each and either resell them yourself or put them on your shelf to let them collect dust as part of a collection forever.:roll:

But you do on occasion get a deal or three and that's what matters. The fun in deal hunting is hunting for the deals, even if it takes you 10-20 tries to actually find something for the price you're willing to pay.[/QUOTE]

My problem with the ebay auction taped to the glass or item is that most of the time they pick a RIDICULOUSLY priced ebay auction that would never in a million years sell for the price it is listed for. At least that has been my experience.

[quote name='sendme']That store is real? I thought the show was fake. I really only watch when nothing else is on and for her rack.[/QUOTE]

The show, at least in my opinion, is more real than it is fake. I think some of the interaction between the people on the show is staged or at least re-enacted, and maybe some of the bidding as well. But the people aren't characters, those are real people who make a living flipping stuff. Dave Hester's store is real too.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which Scene It bundle? I ask because I distinctly remember one for the 360 being $5-10 at Kmart back when they did regular clearance drops.[/QUOTE]

I think it was Light Camera Action, which is ~$16 on Amazon. The woman is obviously high as a kite. :roll:

When I used to have it, I picked it up on a random YMMV Walmart clearance for $10 many years back.

[quote name='sp00ge']My favorite thing is when they get the Target clearance stuff, rip the clearance tag in half so only the original price shows and then price the item 10-20% below that. If it didn't sell at Target for 70-90% off, why in the hell would you think it would sell for only 20% off the original price?
[/QUOTE]
YES!
There's a store around here that has about 20 boxes of Munchkin that has Target clearance tags on them that say, I think, $5 (been a while since i looked) but they blacked them out and wrote $9.99 on them.:roll: No one is buying them. :lol:
They basically do the same thing to everything from Target.
Luckily, I do go to another store that marks Target stuff pretty steadily at 50% the last clearance price.

Hit a few today... nothing amazing but got the following:

Blazing Dragons (PS1): 5.05
SNES bundle of games (Super Mario World, Jeopardy, Earth Defense Force): 1.91

Not a terrible day but considering I went to 6 thrift stores pretty meh.

Just a follow up to my post- Its totally the b1atch manager. She worked as a cashier at the other 2 GWs I go to and always was obviously jel of what I was finding and what I was paying for it all. Then she got a manager job at this 3rd GW and thats when $1-$3 games went to $4 for crap (mostly) and individual prices for anything Mario or "popular".

All games around here are minimum 5.05 and most of the stores put anything popular at at least 8.00.

I hit one Goodwill today that had 6 NES games (random ones, nothing amazing, solid titles at best and some were garbage) for 8.98 each, they had a copy of Final Fight for SNES which was 5.05 last week and marked up to 8.98 this week (it didn't sell in a week, lets bump the cost up) and a few crappy boxed Genesis games (best one was X-Men) for somewhere between 9.99 and 14.00.

Yet a couple of the stores around here do charge just a few dollars for old games. Just depends on the store and whoever is pricing at them.

Have mainly been looking for stuff for my new apartment but I'm still on the lookout for stuff to add to the lowball...

Maximum Carnage (Genesis)
Transparent Purple GBC
Pokemon Yellow
Gameboy Cleaning kit

Pokemon Yellow's label is half torn off but the system and the game work just fine so that's nice. Didn't know Maximum Carnage had a spiffy red cartridge but it looks nice!

Ya, I saw Maximum Carnage at a garage sale last weekend, looks awesome but the guy wanted 9.99 (runs an EBay store, was mainly trying to get rid of other stuff and I think just put the games out to be able to say games in the ad... his other stuff was reasonable but the games were nowhere near)

One of my local GW's has finally gotten the hint that they will sell a LOT more by dropping all of their CDs and DVDs to $1, from the regular $3, aside from the "special finds" crap. I ended up with a small stack of complete Dreamcast games, most notably Carrier, RE: Code Veronica and D-2.

On a side note, the also had 2 iMac 20" G5's donated, and priced at $30 a piece. Unfortunately, both of them had burned out power supplies when I tested them. :(

[quote name='juangrande386']Just a follow up to my post- Its totally the b1atch manager. She worked as a cashier at the other 2 GWs I go to and always was obviously jel of what I was finding and what I was paying for it all. Then she got a manager job at this 3rd GW and thats when $1-$3 games went to $4 for crap (mostly) and individual prices for anything Mario or "popular".[/QUOTE]
The lowest prices I've EVER seen for any games are usually at out of town SA/GW stores, like the one I hit up this week in Syracuse(NY) area. Around here the average price of any game from the NES era up to the PS1/PS2 era is usually $3.99. I've seen cheaper prices at some little indy thrifts before($2.92, $1.91, etc), but unfortunately they write the sleeve number the game is in in the giant CD/DVD binders they store them in on the actual cases for the games in grease pencil.

So to me $4 for a game(as long as it's complete) is NOT a bad deal. You make it sound like this lady is personally out to get you.:roll: I would love to find games for $1-3 at any thrift stores around here on a regular basis. But as I said, the average is usually $4 here. Not insanely cheap, but still NOT BAD to me.

Anyway, I found a buncha games again today when I went down to the next major city and hit up 3-4 of their thrift stores. I didn't buy any though since there was nothing of real interest to me, plus most of the game discs were in deplorable shape.

The one indy store had about 3-6 PS1/PS2 games w/o cases in their CD binder besides the ones I saw cases for out on the shelf(Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver, Martian Gothic, etc). But the manager there told me they 'didn't have time' to bundle them all up today and to check back next Tuesday.:roll: Oh well.

Next thrift had :ps2:Jak: Precursor Legacy(disc only in a sleeve) and a couple other games for PS1. Not much else. The last thrift store had Asteroids for PS1(still) and another handful of mostly sports titles for PS1 and not much else either.

I stopped by a "thrift store" on the way home today. It was the filthiest fucking place I've probably ever been in. Dust and items just piled everywhere, no coordination, no sensible direction of items. It's like the guy who owned it just bought stuff and moved it inside the place instead of organizing it. Over and over.

Anyway, I finally found the owner after walking around and seeing nothing for a while, at least nothing I could possible get into/walk near. I asked him if he had any video game stuff and he said there was a PS2 outside in a box with some games for $20.

I walked out there and found it.. I got excited because there were a lot of PS1 games inside the box. I saw a black label Silent Hill sitting inside and was about to just take the box for $20.. then opened all the cases and ALL of them were empty. I couldn't even make sure the PS2 turned on so I just left without saying a word.

[quote name='Bing147']... thrift stores generally keep the discs behind the counter in a book to prevent theft...[/QUOTE]

Depends on your local GW/VV/TS/etc so... YMMV.

Picked up Mario Party, Super Mario, Monopoly, Yoshi's Story for the N64 and 2 SNES games which I can't recall for about $2.

I don't know why I stopped visiting here, I love the discussions and people who get lucky. Sometimes I'm hella jellyin'.

I'd pay reasonable prices for rare items at a thrift shop. The $2 "they had no idea" finds are always awesome, but it does piss me off when they just go on amazon, find the price for a perfect condition complete, or new copy of a game, and price it at that value for their disc only/damaged/incomplete copy.

I mean if I found a copy of Tron Bonne or something crazy at a thrift store priced at $120 I'd lol at it. $60-$80 and I'm sold.

The one that I was referring to wasn't a Goodwill or a Salvation Army or any other brand name thrift store. It was a local one and I knew the guy didn't have them saved anywhere for sure

Got a bunch of Sega games from a Good Will a couple weeks ago. The only one that didn't come with a manual is Streets of Rage 1. Sorry about the blurry picture, used my phone to take it.
34e2ibp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent found anything good as far as video games this week but I was stoked to find this today:
c6731526.jpg

[quote name='elgato10x']The show, at least in my opinion, is more real than it is fake. I think some of the interaction between the people on the show is staged or at least re-enacted, and maybe some of the bidding as well. But the people aren't characters, those are real people who make a living flipping stuff. Dave Hester's store is real too.[/QUOTE]

Some is real but a lot is fake. Barry is just an actor/character they threw in and a lot of the "big finds" are actually planted and the video edited accordingly to look like they really scored big.

Also I heard if you goto Brandi's thrift store you will never see Brandi or Jarrod there, just the thrift store employees. I mean come on they would be hit up by everyone for autographs or nonstop stupid questions about the show.

Tis a shame because Brandi's rack is a nice sight lol

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']Some is real but a lot is fake. Barry is just an actor/character they threw in and a lot of the "big finds" are actually planted and the video edited accordingly to look like they really scored big.

Also I heard if you goto Brandi's thrift store you will never see Brandi or Jarrod there, just the thrift store employees. I mean come on they would be hit up by everyone for autographs or nonstop stupid questions about the show.

Tis a shame because Brandi's rack is a nice sight lol[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing if you travel down into the ghetto of Las Vegas to visit the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop, the only one from the show that is ever there anymore on non taping days is the old man, and he spends 99% of his time in the back.

At a Value Village I found 2 developer only black HD Dvd xbox 360 drives and a pristine MS store copy of Halo 2.

0a448c83.jpg

[quote name='Mr.Sci-Fi']At a Value Village I found 2 developer only black HD Dvd xbox 360 drives and a pristine MS store copy of Halo 2.

0a448c83.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It'd be funny if they didn't wipe those drives and you have a gold mine of secrets!

[quote name='Squarehard']It'd be funny if they didn't wipe those drives and you have a gold mine of secrets![/QUOTE]
Those are HD-DVD drives though, not hard drives, if I read their post correctly.

Yes they are special black edition HDdvd Players for the xbox 360. Thee black was never sold at retail, they were only given to the MS employees who worked on them.

picked up Thief: Deadly Shadows for Xbox at my local Goodwill for $3.99, am going to try some other thrift shops this week as I'd really like to get a NES

[quote name='Mr.Sci-Fi']Yes they are special black edition HDdvd Players for the xbox 360. Thee black was never sold at retail, they were only given to the MS employees who worked on them.[/QUOTE]

are you willing to part with one? I have the white one but it just doesn't go with my black 360 slim

bread's done
Back