Thrift Store Thread 2012

Stopped by GW on my lunch break. Ill take these for a quick 15 min stop.

Brand new copy of Dead Rising 2 for PS3- $10

Opened but looks complete and unused, HF-2 Wireless Bluetooth PS3 controller- $8

Finally found some decent stuff at a Goodwill!

dscn1212j.jpg

By mrrapp at 2012-05-05
dscn1210a.jpg

By mrrapp at 2012-05-05

Paid 12.99 for the Atari, and 14.99 for the PS2. They were both console only, but I was able to test them with my cables and they worked on the first attempt. I'll probably resell them after a good cleaning.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']picked up Thief: Deadly Shadows for Xbox at my local Goodwill for $3.99, am going to try some other thrift shops this week as I'd really like to get a NES

are you willing to part with one? I have the white one but it just doesn't go with my black 360 slim[/QUOTE]

Sorry no at this point

[quote name='Mr.Sci-Fi']At a Value Village I found 2 developer only black HD Dvd xbox 360 drives and a pristine MS store copy of Halo 2.

0a448c83.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Those black HD DVD drives were selling for a lot of money (300+), even after HDDVD died, GREAT find! I have not seen one even for sell in a couple of years.

Well, no games to speak of this weekend, but I did find a few flippable DVDs.

Does anyone know anything about the band Tea Leaf Green? I found their "Green Dream" DVD today but I can't find much info on it. It seems to be OOP, though.

[quote name='Mr.Sci-Fi']Yes they are special black edition HDdvd Players for the xbox 360. Thee black was never sold at retail, they were only given to the MS employees who worked on them.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess Seattle area Value Village :D

I just found my 2nd best thrift store find. Kind of surprised me, I haven't been finding much at all lately.
RNMOh.jpg

I ran into an employee right after I picked it up, he was amused I was buying it (he had just put it out). Said something like "they usually throw that kind of stuff away, they won't listen when I say people want it".
The cashier was also surprised, and for some reason he gave me 25% off, so I ended up paying $4.03 for it.

Also went to Goodwill, passed on Fallout 3 PS3 for $7, and Final Fantasy VII PSX for $8 (first disc was pretty badly scratched up, case was broken)
Like I said, this was all really weird, normally all I ever find is $40 gamecubes and $7 sports games.

^ Nice! I picked up a top loader at my GW a few months ago for the exact same price. Only difference was mine came with Tetris.

[quote name='faa8146']
I ran into an employee right after I picked it up, he was amused I was buying it (he had just put it out). Said something like "they usually throw that kind of stuff away, they won't listen when I say people want it".
[/QUOTE]
:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:
:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Goldeneye 64, Yoshi Story, and Banjo Kazooie- marked $4 apiece, guy rang them up $3 apiece.

Superpad 64 controller just cus I never had one- $5

TI 89 Titanium graphing calculator- $2!!! $138 new on Amazon

Damn, I've been hoping to find a toploader forever. I've found 3 dogbone controllers in the last 1.5 years, meaning I've likely missed the console each time because the GW's i found the controllers at usually break systems apart. Count me as jealous

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Saw Shenmue II for $4.99. Should I have picked it up?[/QUOTE]

XBox or Dreamcast? If it's the XBox, i'd skip it, it doesn't have much resale value and they're supposedly coming out with HD Remixes of both Shenmue games later on this year. If it's the Dreamcast one, definitely, I sold my copy that had been hanging around for years and made about $50 on it.

[quote name='wheels']Damn, I've been hoping to find a toploader forever. I've found 3 dogbone controllers in the last 1.5 years, meaning I've likely missed the console each time because the GW's i found the controllers at usually break systems apart. Count me as jealous[/QUOTE]

The dogbones are a better find. I have several top loaders, but only 1 dogbone controller.

[quote name='wheels']Damn, I've been hoping to find a toploader forever. I've found 3 dogbone controllers in the last 1.5 years, meaning I've likely missed the console each time because the GW's i found the controllers at usually break systems apart. Count me as jealous[/QUOTE]

Actually the Dogbone controllers were far more common than the top loader, so it doesn't necessarily mean you missed the console. Some KB Toys and TRU stores still had a clearance rack of dog bone controllers and NES Advantage sticks as of ~ 12-13 years ago, and Nintendo still sold them brand new on their website as of maybe 5 years ago. The dog bone controller is crappy anyways, way too small.

Wow, I remember seeing one of those in the goodwill several years back. The toploader was in great condition too...didn't know they were kind of valuable but oh well. I usually avoid buying consoles from the thrift stores, they usually don't work for me.

Founds some guides today:
Kingdom Hearts
Too Human
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Metroid Prime Hunters

All for about two bucks each. They had a bunch of SNES games there too but they were junk. Also saw a SNES system...shame it was 30. Not overpriced just not cheap enough for me to buy it and flip it, lol. Was planning to visit another 4 or 5 thrift stores (Yes there are a lot in the greater Denver area) but it was kind of hot out and my car has gotten spoiled on a diet of flat and open highway roads soooo tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually prefer the toaster NES because you can use AV inputs, the top loader's don't have AV inputs (another case of Nintendo downgrading) and you have to use the RF switch. Unless you mod your top loader to have AV inputs. The dogbone controller is pretty good though.

I have changed the connector a couple times on my toaster NES but it still won't read carts unless you put a game genie in it, but works perfectly if you have the game genie in it.

Yeah top loaders are more rare but a toaster with good pins and a dogbone controller is the best way to play NES.

Found the first NES game I've seen in years today at Savers, a complete copy of Ducktales with a $24.99 tag on it, what a joke. A complete copy in similar condition recetly sold on eBay for $70, but there's absolutely no way that's legitimate, there had to have been shill bidding or 0 feedback non-payers involved, because the game isn't worth that much, and no other copies, even complete copies, have sold recently even close to that ballpark, even $25 is too high. Just another case of Savers being unrealistically overpriced.

Goodwill oddly had nearly a complete collection of Pro-Wrestling games for PS1, and nothing else of note. Just about every single WWF and WCW released was on the shelf for $2.99 each. Very strange.

[quote name='spmahn']Found the first NES game I've seen in years today at Savers, a complete copy of Ducktales with a $24.99 tag on it, what a joke. A complete copy in similar condition recetly sold on eBay for $70, but there's absolutely no way that's legitimate, there had to have been shill bidding or 0 feedback non-payers involved, because the game isn't worth that much, and no other copies, even complete copies, have sold recently even close to that ballpark, even $25 is too high. Just another case of Savers being unrealistically overpriced.[/QUOTE]

there have been 2 recent somewhat complete copies that sold on ebay, both in much rougher condition than the $70 copy and with less-appealing listings. I wouldn't say that the $79 was necessarily out of the ballpark at all.

I don't know if Savers commonly has sale days, but it wouldn't seem to me that they are completely wrong to ask that much as a starting price. I think that Ducktales is one of the more commonly-recognized 'rare' nes games, in that a lot of more casual collectors would remember that it is hard to find.

I understand, of course, that no amount of logic will influence your entitled and self-important view of ebay and thrift stores, but I thought I would set the record straight for people who aren't familiar with your whining.

[quote name='yourlefthand']there have been 2 recent somewhat complete copies that sold on ebay, both in much rougher condition than the $70 copy and with less-appealing listings. I wouldn't say that the $79 was necessarily out of the ballpark at all.

I don't know if Savers commonly has sale days, but it wouldn't seem to me that they are completely wrong to ask that much as a starting price. I think that Ducktales is one of the more commonly-recognized 'rare' nes games, in that a lot of more casual collectors would remember that it is hard to find.

I understand, of course, that no amount of logic will influence your entitled and self-important view of ebay and thrift stores, but I thought I would set the record straight for people who aren't familiar with your whining.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Whining, uh huh, and I'm sure when you complain it's just a perfectly reasonable argument. My point is, I see one copy on eBay that sold for $70, I see about 4-5 in similar conditions that sold from anywhere from $12 to $25. If we're doing statistics, the $70 is an outlier and should be ignored from the dataset.

Oh, and Ducktales is FAR from a "rare" NES game. It just happens to be a bit in demand because it's fun and it was popular back in the day. Without looking at actual sales figures, I'm sure Capcom pushed 10x as many copies of Ducktales as they did say "Talespin", which is harder to find than Ducktales, but not much fun, not very memorable, and not in demand.

$70 certainly isn't the average price for Duck Tales, but it's not at all uncommon to see it go for that much (or more) in good complete condition. Thanks in part to Brental Floss, it was fetching a pretty penny for a while there. When I bought my own copy of the game a few months ago, most complete copies were selling for around $40-$60. Right now, it's hard to get a clear idea because it's not in high demand anymore and there aren't nearly as many up for sale. Still, I would say that $25 is pretty fair. I'd be willing to pay that much if I didn't already have the game.

Well then if that's the case, then color me confused. If the $70 auction isn't really that farfetched, then what the hell is the determining factors as far as what selling price on eBay goes? Why does this one copy go for $70, while others in similar or equal condition go for anywhere from $10 - $25? Is it the quality of the sellers listing? Granted, the guy with the $70 auction does have a nice auction setup going for him. Is it just luck that there happened to be a bidding war for that one guys copy, which drove the price up? It's not like the $70 copy was gem mint fresh out of the plastic. I would say $70 - $100 might be a reasonable price for a sealed copy, although the market and value of sealed games is even more volatile than it is for non-sealed ones. Maybe it's the fact that the $70 copy came with the shitty poster that has the guy with the mullet on it? Perhaps there's no rhyme or reason to it at all and it's not meant to be understood.

The copy that sold for $70 that you're talking about was from a seller that ships internationally. International buyers will pay premium prices in my experience, if they have to.

While I have seen the game go for $70+ like I said, now is not a time I would expect to see it go for that kind of money. Like Potatoeman suggests, the international shipping could've played a big role. Or it was damn good timing for the seller.

Today actually was a great day at the independent dirty thrift in the ghetto. Found mint complete copies of Parappa the Rapper, Monopoly, and Theme Park for PS1 for 95 cents each. I'm really stoked about Parappa, I've been looking for it for a long time, and it's become increasingly more expensive over the last year, and I suspect the upcoming Playstation Battle Royale game will only increase prices and demand for the classics.

Only bummer was a copy of Zelda Collectors Edition for Gamecube for $3.95. Unfortunately this is one of those places where anything newer than PS1 is box only on the floor, and the discs are kept in a drawer behind the registers, and you know how that goes. Of course they couldn't find the disc, so I missed out on a good flip, but I'm happy enough about finding Parappa that I don't even care that much.

Also picked up a brand new Chia Pet cat for $2 at this same store.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Saw one go for $50 on eBay a few weeks ago. Was not advertised as a developer unit though.

keep in mind, while rare, they made plenty of them. Just hard to find them.[/QUOTE]

I did a search and couldn't find any previous listing for a black one, only ones that black skins on them.

They definitely didn't make plenty of them, it was very limited. At the time of their release a lot of people were mad because of not having them at retail so they could match it with their black elite.

Found today:

Halo 2: 3.00
Wii Sports: 3.00
Sega GT 2002/JSRF: 5.05

DVDs:

Seinfeld Seasons 1 and 2 (9.99)
Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House (2.97)

I thought you guys were talking about Duck Tales 2....lol Now that game is fetching a nice sum. Soon the unobtainable 7, is going to be joined by these guys.

Snow Bros
Bubble Bobble 2
Bonk
Flintstones
Rescue Rangers 2
Little Samson
Fire and Ice
Power Blade 2

Finds

I think I'm getting to the point where I don't really need to fatten up the lowball anymore but I found a few more items!

Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Atlantis soundtrack
Lime Green Gameboy Color (Yes another one)

Apparently that Zelda is a decent flip so that will probably not get added to the lowball. Neither will that soundtrack...I think. We'll see! Also saw a copy of Resident Evil Remake but it only had the second disk while the other disc was Smash Brothers Melee! Then again it was like 8 bucks sooo...I decided not to bother because I would have to find a disc only copy of the first one and then find a case and manual for SSBM...I'll let someone else do the legwork. Also saw a copy of Super Mario World but those are a dime a dozen, pass.

I checked out the lil neighborhood thrift store down the line for chuckles today since the one manager type told me last week to come back around Tuesday. As expected the copy of Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver that I saw last week was GONE. I wonder if they ever went through the DVD/CD/game binders and bundled all of the remaining games w/o cases together in one lot. There was no one around by the register for me to ask and that manager from last week was MIA.

They also had at least 3 current gen titles(Sing It and Disney Sing It for PS3 and 360 respectively with either printed out or water damaged coverart). They wanted $5 each for those. They also had a copy of Prince Of Persia for PS3 for $16.16 on the shelf. I just had a chuckle at that n left.

Oh well. There's always next time, eh?

picked up Super Mario 64 for $12 at a local thrift store. They also had Mario Kart 64 for $15 and Star Fox 64 for $10 and Goldeneye 007 for $10 or $15. Are those good prices? Or they about market value?

If you bought them for yourself...the prices are fine, just a bit high for what thrift stores usually charge. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Kart are still under the average price they sell for online. Star Fox and Goldeneye, not so much. If you're looking to flip them...don't bother.

Just browse VGPC if you want to see the value of games. Helpful if you have a smart phone at a thrift store but it also takes some of the fun out of it...

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']picked up Super Mario 64 for $12 at a local thrift store. They also had Mario Kart 64 for $15 and Star Fox 64 for $10 and Goldeneye 007 for $10 or $15. Are those good prices? Or they about market value?[/QUOTE]

Wow, those are horrible prices for a thrift store. Got a few goodies the fast few days- Red GBC 3.99 Silver GBA SP 2.99 Pokemon Ruby .99 Brand new SKIL cordless drill, marked $24.99, paid $.99.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']If you bought them for yourself...the prices are fine, just a bit high for what thrift stores usually charge. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Kart are still under the average price they sell for online. Star Fox and Goldeneye, not so much. If you're looking to flip them...don't bother.

Just browse VGPC if you want to see the value of games. Helpful if you have a smart phone at a thrift store but it also takes some of the fun out of it...[/QUOTE]

yeah they are for me, I will probably go back for Mario Kart tomorrow. Thanks (ah also meant $12 for Mario Kart and Goldeneye not $15)

[quote name='lude21']Wow, those are horrible prices for a thrift store. Got a few goodies the fast few days- Red GBC 3.99 Silver GBA SP 2.99 Pokemon Ruby .99 Brand new SKIL cordless drill, marked $24.99, paid $.99.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that thrift store's prices aren't too...thrifty. I went to 3 other ones and their N64 games were $2.50-$5 but all were just sports games that one had a bunch of good ones but at pretty much market price. (ah also meant $12 for Mario Kart and Goldeneye not $15)

OMG I cannot believe the score I just got. I went to a Goodwill close to my house. For $3 each I got

PANZER DRAGOON SAGA COMPLETE MINT $3
PANZER DRAGOON II ZWEI COMPLETE $3
PANZER DRAGOON COMPLETE $3
NIGHTS INTO DREAMS COMPLETE $3
RESIDENT EVIL SATURN COMPLETE $3
SONIC 3D BLAST COMPLETE MINT $3

I just paid $19.49 for all 6 of these games. I'm trying to find my camera so I can takes pics.

[quote name='vidgamesgivemea_d_d']omg i cannot believe the score i just got. I went to a goodwill close to my house. For $3 each i got

panzer dragoon saga complete mint $3
panzer dragoon ii zwei complete $3
panzer dragoon complete $3
nights into dreams complete $3
resident evil saturn complete $3
sonic 3d blast complete mint $3

i just paid $19.49 for all 6 of these games. I'm trying to find my camera so i can takes pics.[/quote]

what?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!???!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Is $20 for a white xbox 360 HD DVD player w/everything, in the box (e.g. has cables, remote, king kong, etc.) a good deal?

I know its a dead format...but $20 is hard to say no to... It just sucks that it is white and my xbox is black is all (aside from the whole fact that hd dvds are no longer manufactured and all).

Primarily interested just as a novelty...

[quote name='Bing147']I'll give you 50 for panzer dragoon saga. Quick $47 profit. You know you want to... ;)[/QUOTE]

Nice try.

I'm gonna hold on to it for awhile because the value should just continue to go up on it.

This is actually the 3rd time I've owned Panzer Dragoon Saga.

First time: Around 1998 wheb it first came out I was kinda young like 16ish bought it at Toys R Us retail for $49.99. Then I was the dumbass to sell it to a pawn shop for $10.

Second time: 2009 had pretty good income coming in and bought it for $210 off Ebay. Ending up beating the team and sold it for about the same on Ebay.

And this is the third.

That would of be hilarious if this was the copy I sold the first time back in 1998. There can't be too many copies of it in my town I wouldn't think.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']OMG I cannot believe the score I just got. I went to a Goodwill close to my house. For $3 each I got

PANZER DRAGOON SAGA COMPLETE MINT $3
PANZER DRAGOON II ZWEI COMPLETE $3
PANZER DRAGOON COMPLETE $3
NIGHTS INTO DREAMS COMPLETE $3
RESIDENT EVIL SATURN COMPLETE $3
SONIC 3D BLAST COMPLETE MINT $3

I just paid $19.49 for all 6 of these games. I'm trying to find my camera so I can takes pics.[/QUOTE]

now you see I would have probably just passed on them since they aren't my type of game and don't own and never owned a Sega Saturn. I should really look up what games are rare/valuable for when I go to thrift stores/yard sales/flea markets

bread's done
Back