Thrift Store Thread 2012

[quote name='schuerm26']No different than Maddow or Olberman.

Let's not pretend any of these type of pundits (either side) are different than one another.[/QUOTE]
True.
[quote name='tiggerkiddo']F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Pokemon Stadium
Art of Fighting (SNES)
Donkey Kong Land
Catherine (PS3)
Teen Titans: Fear Itself
Microsoft Office 2004 for the Mac

Just stocking up for the next lowball I have...whenever that will be.[/QUOTE]
:shock: Someone got rid of :ps3:Catherine to a thrift store?:whistle2:s

Mind if I ask how much you paid for it? The stores here typically treat anything PS2 on up as $5-10 titles. The one Salvation Army up near Ithaca(NY) had tons of current gen titles but most of them were $20-30 apiece.:roll:

Actually I paid $30 for a newsed copy from the Gamestop Power Saver sale a while back and I had a copy previously at launch from Amazon. But to me, $12 would've been a steal for that game.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Mind if I ask how much you paid for it? The stores here typically treat anything PS2 on up as $5-10 titles. The one Salvation Army up near Ithaca(NY) had tons of current gen titles but most of them were $20-30 apiece.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Ack why did you tell me that? I was on the other side of town thirft shopping and I skipped the Salvation Army because I didn't think they carried games. Now I'm curious if that one does.

First time I saw video games at the Good Will closest to me in a while. Picked up

:xbox: 007 Nightfire
:xbox: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
:xbox: Crimson Skies
:xbox: Prince of Persia The Two Thrones
ps1.gif
Allied General
ps1.gif
Tomb Raider II
ps1.gif
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

007 is missing the manual, and Double Agent is in a Pandora Tomorrow case, the others are complete. The PlayStation games were $0.80/each and the Xbox games were $2.40/each after 20% discount from donating.

I have no idea why I bought Tony Hawk 2 or The Two Thrones. I already own both of them, I think I was just so surprised to see video games on the rack that I didn't think about it.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Ack why did you tell me that? I was on the other side of town thirft shopping and I skipped the Salvation Army because I didn't think they carried games. Now I'm curious if that one does.[/QUOTE]
This was a couple of months ago(actually more like last fall). The only thing I bought from there was a heavy duty original Xbox AV cable, third party brand. It was $3-4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw something interesting but not gaming related today. Walking through the electronics section, I see an 8mm film projector. An Eumig S905. Thing was in excellent shape but I didn't buy it cuz it was $60. Anyway, I do a little research and I'm finding no US history on this machine at all. Eumig was an Austrian brand and it seems that they only sold these things in Europe. I want to know where this thing came from... If only it could speak. :lol:

[quote name='yourlefthand']Trollin trollin trollin...

I'm not sure how much it is really worth to a hardcore collector, but you won't find a signed first edition at the dollar store.[/QUOTE]
I'm not trolling; it just looks like one of the books I always see at Dollar Tree. I've never heard of this guy or his book, so I wasn't aware that it might be worth something just because it has a signature printed in it. They've got a couple of different religious/political books with a guy that looks just like him on the cover, so I thought it might be the same thing.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Trollin trollin trollin...

I'm not sure how much it is really worth to a hardcore collector, but you won't find a signed first edition at the dollar store.[/QUOTE]

yeah doubt its worth much just got it for myself as I am a fan of Hannity

[quote name='ZombieToast']I'm not trolling; it just looks like one of the books I always see at Dollar Tree. I've never heard of this guy or his book, so I wasn't aware that it might be worth something just because it has a signature printed in it. They've got a couple of different religious/political books with a guy that looks just like him on the cover, so I thought it might be the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Well Sean Hannity is a very well know political commentator/pundit and political author (he is in the national political discourse a lot, mentioned numerous times by President Obama and Democrats). As for seeing Hannity books at Dollar Tree I have never seen any big name political writers at Dollar Tree, biggest name I saw was a couple copies of one of Lou Dobbs' books. And very unlikely you would see a signed first edition of such a well known political commentator.

I had a couple of good scores at a GW

Mario Party 2 $8
Mario Party $3 $8 (more than i usually pay for any thrift store game but these are worth it)
Grey Sega Saturn controller $5

Found only a couple of things today...

Dragon Warrior Monsters
Final Fantasy VIII (PC)

Also saw a Blue/Teal Gameboy color but alas they were asking 26 for it! I know they sometimes sell for that online but...that's online.

I picked up a nice looking NES Advantage for $1.00 today.

They had a fat PS2 and a black gamecube for 50 each though. No thanks on that. I picked up a gamecube for 5 this weekend at the flea market anyway.

Question though: I saw a Concert Hall game console there, pretty old looking, and two ricochet game consoles there all for 10. Anyone ever heard of these? I was going to bite, but I don't need more clutter in my place. Couldn't find much on the net about them either.

Here is what I found the other day. Each game was $3. Over paid on a few, got a good steal on others.

The manuals all were sold together in one of those Nintendo branded plastic cart holders. This was really cool since I was able to complete a Mario 3 I had'

The Master System survived a few days at the thrift store before I could pick it up for 1/2 price. Got it for $15. It booted up right away, how I wish my NES's would do that...

Cat also likes the Master System apparently.

Most of this stuff will end up in the trade pile.

[quote name='kermit036']Here is what I found the other day. Each game was $3. Over paid on a few, got a good steal on others.

The manuals all were sold together in one of those Nintendo branded plastic cart holders. This was really cool since I was able to complete a Mario 3 I had'

The Master System survived a few days at the thrift store before I could pick it up for 1/2 price. Got it for $15. It booted up right away, how I wish my NES's would do that...

Cat also likes the Master System apparently.

Most of this stuff will end up in the trade pile.[/QUOTE]

Duck Tales and Mega Man 2? DO WANT. :applause:

Picked up a used Xbox for $15 for an upcoming project I'm planning, got it home and powered up fine. Had a copy of NBA 2006 in it. It gave me a couple dirty disc errors so I popped it open, blew out the dust and opened the CD drive (Phillips, not a Thompson thankfully) and I cleaned the laser with some alcohol. Put it back together and in about 5 minutes of time it was as good as new.

[quote name='KtMack23']Goes to thrift store
sees Mario kart double dash for $4
Gets excited
Opens case
sees need for speed
Leaves thrift store[/QUOTE]

That happens to me all the time. I always check the sports games now because some idiot is mixing up the games. I found Black for Xbox the other day in a Madden case and the Black case was on the same shelf but empty. It makes no sense.

Picked up The Zelda Collectors Edition for Gamecube for $15, which is pretty expensive for Goodwill (the highest I've seen a game is $6). I've been looking for it for a few months now and it is still a good deal as opposed to paying around 30 on ebay. I just hope this doesn't encourage them to price more games that high in the future.

I went two weeks going home empty handed of anything even non game related. And then finally got two scores back to back
A week ago
The discs were 25 cents each, and phantasmogoria 2.29, (The 3 Blizzard games, I already have keys for) That's some playstation game on the top right, but i has a cd key sticker on it :p
I have about 50ish sega CD games and actually didn't have 3 of the ones I found.

IMG_20120526_003619.jpg

(A few days ago) I decided to take another stop and more stuff arrived.
Gen titles were 59-99 cents DDR - 2.29 and the 3 psx games were 4.00 total
IMG_20120526_002515.jpg

It's been a couple months, but, since I just joined.
Got an Ice Blue N64 + Matching Controller for $25 there
Also got The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages for $3
The Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure with the original box and all contents, even the little plastic slip the game is put in for $5.

$3 each- GTA3, GTA VC Stories, Max Payne Greatest Hits, Simpsons RoadRage for PS2. Simpsons is the only one with booklet.

$3- cartridge only Burai Fighter for NES

$5 each- Nintendogs + Cats and Michael Jackson The Experience for 3DS, complete

$9.99 each- Call Of Juarez The Cartel for PS3 and Bulletstorm Epic Edition for 360, complete. Looks like they were opened just to put the discs behind the counter.

Passed on a system only NES for $10 and almost got Battlefield3 PS3 for $10 but he couldnt find the disc :(

Was in DC over the weekend and stopped at a couple of thrift stores. Most prices were around fair.

C2: judgement clay ( Clayfighter 2) $8
The Punisher NES $9
Magic Sword SNES $4.50
Tax-Mania SNES $3.50
Breath of Fire SNES $18
Spawn the VideoGame SNES in box and manual $13
Sword of Sodan Genesis in box and manual $3.50
Shining in the Darkness Genesis in box and manual $3.50
Speedy Gonzales Los Gatos Bandidos SNES $2.50
Final Fight SNES $7.00
Soldiers of Fortune SNES $6.00
King Arthur's World SNES (stickers on cart) $4
The Immortal NES $4
Super Mario Bros NES $4
NES Open Golf $9
sonic Blastman 2 SNES $4.50

In what world is 9 dollars for an NES golf game reasonable? Anything over 5.00 is absurd for old school games unless its rare.

Trust me, you will see it. I still see them charging over ten for sports games approaching 10 years old.

Anyways today was interesting. Visited the new Goodwill that opened about 5-10 minutes from me. Found a Wavebird controller but it was missing the receiver. It was only about 3 bucks so I grabbed it anyways. Also saw a CIB copy of NCAA Basketball in near excellent condition. Why did I buy it? I really don't know, I'll probably take it back lol. What really annoyed me was seeing 3 in box copies of the Battlestation II, a large two player arcade stick for the SNES/Genesis. Would have bought it for kicks but they wanted 35! Also asking 26 bucks for a PS1...mmmkay Goodwill, I bet they will still be there in a couple weeks,

[quote name='Bing147']In what world is 9 dollars for an NES golf game reasonable? Anything over 5.00 is absurd for old school games unless its rare.[/QUOTE]

Well he did say around fair, which means it could be borderline not fair.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Well he did say around fair, which means it could be borderline not fair.[/QUOTE]

I still can't even wrap my brain around the fact that 12 years ago people were tiling their floor with copies of SMB / Duckhunt, NES Golf, and Hogan's Alley, unlimited copies of all of them were available everywhere for practically free, and today people this $9 is a "fair" price for one of these games.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']Well he did say around fair, which means it could be borderline not fair.[/QUOTE]

But that's not even close.

[quote name='Tsel']Saw a ridiculously priced House Season 3 for $19.99 today. Nice "thrift" store. :roll:[/QUOTE]
I saw some of the seasons of Sex & The City at the one Salvation Army here....for $10 a set. Funny thing is I could've bought almost the complete run for my one relative who's into the show during that last Blockbuster 5/$25 sale for about $25 just about.:roll:

[quote name='Scorch']Apparently it was sold through KBToys for $50 about a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw some thread from 2001 stating a $50 price or so.

[quote name='spmahn']I still can't even wrap my brain around the fact that 12 years ago people were tiling their floor with copies of SMB / Duckhunt, NES Golf, and Hogan's Alley, unlimited copies of all of them were available everywhere for practically free, and today people this $9 is a "fair" price for one of these games.[/QUOTE]

For the record, it's not NES Golf...this is NES Open Tournament Golf, you know the one with Mario on the cover. Yes I probably could've gotten it elsewhere for $5...
However, I paid a few extra $$ just because I wanted to. Truth be told, it's one of the few Mario games I am missing.

I chose to do it. I don't need any of you yahoos commenting like some peanut gallery.

Sometimes I get good games for ridicously cheap (conker's bad fur day for $3) other times I'll pay an extra few bucks just because I'm a sucker for believing in karma.

Fun part is, I can afford to do so......

Huge controller haul today

Nintendo controller x4 $1 each
Dogbone $1
Genesis 1 RF switch x3 $1 each
Genesis controller x2 $2 each
Saturn Turbo controller $2
Sidewinder 2 pro USB $2
Sidewinder 3d pro $3 (overpaid thought the 3d would be worth more then the 2 whoops)
360 force feedback wheel (no power cord but works) $10
5 NES games (including dragon warrior) .50 each
3 genesis games .50 each (sonic 2, ternimator 2 complete and one other)
4 in 1 av cable from gamestop (xbox/xbox 360/nintendo/sony) 2.00 (useful as hell for when i get systems with no cords to test)

Not really a thrift store, but I picked up a mint copy of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Season 2 for $6 ($7.99, buy 3 get 1 free) at CD Tradepost the other day. I've been wanting it for awhile (ever since I passed on one at Borders when it was still in print, and I guess while Borders still existed) but I wasn't about to pay the ridiculous prices for secondhand copies though the normal chains. I'm just glad that they never updated their price for the set.

It now sits sadly on the shelf of my "complete" collections of CN shows: Dexter's lab s1, Foster's Home s1 & s2, Courage the Cowardly Dog s1, Johnny Bravo s1, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy s1, Ed Edd & Eddy s1 & s2, Powerpuff Girls s1 (we did eventually get a full series release, but I also kept my s1 set as a reminder of how much CN hates money).

Had a lucky day at goodwill last week:
NES (in minty condition/missing ac adapter) $10
SNES (bottom half is yellowed but besides that looks great/ no cables) $10
3 SNES controllers $3 a piece (one is a blockbuster turbo controller?)
3 NES controllers $3 a piece (one is the nes max pad)
1 NES Zapper $2
Bought an ac adapter at play N trade that works with both systems and used the N64 av cables I have to test the SNES and everything works great!

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Not really a thrift store, but I picked up a mint copy of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Season 2 for $6 ($7.99, buy 3 get 1 free) at CD Tradepost the other day. I've been wanting it for awhile (ever since I passed on one at Borders when it was still in print, and I guess while Borders still existed) but I wasn't about to pay the ridiculous prices for secondhand copies though the normal chains. I'm just glad that they never updated their price for the set.

It now sits sadly on the shelf of my "complete" collections of CN shows: Dexter's lab s1, Foster's Home s1 & s2, Courage the Cowardly Dog s1, Johnny Bravo s1, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy s1, Ed Edd & Eddy s1 & s2, Powerpuff Girls s1 (we did eventually get a full series release, but I also kept my s1 set as a reminder of how much CN hates money).[/QUOTE]

Anyone who doesn't eat this burger, is a chump!

*crosses arms*

Went by a newer thrift store today in Manassas. Found a random basket of old Atari and N64 games that only someone over 6'5 would have seen on top of a bookcase amongst lunchboxes. Judging by the basket size, no one had touched them. Nothing noteworthy except a copy of Donkey Kong 64 that I picked up for $1.50.

Picked up a minty NES GBA SP with Castlevania and Zelda (GBA NES classics) sold as a bundle for $4.99. Was very happy to find that. Picked up a pearl blue GBA SP for $3.99 a couple weeks ago at the same place.

Found a brand new Guitar Hero 3 Game and wireless Controller bundle for $29.99 at Goodwill. Should be a solid flip

bread's done
Back