time to pull the trigger on the 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

videogamejunkie

CAGiversary!
Have been holding out on a 360 until the games started to come out and to also see if the ps3 would be a better bet for my $. Thinking that it may be time for the 360. Was waiting for a price drop and the new cooler running processor, but do not see either of those on the horizon. couple things:

1. do the 360s in the store already have the update that seemed to brick certain units?

2. Do I need to look for a certain build day or skew like with the original (ie the thompson drive).

anything else I am forgetting?

[quote name='videogamejunkie']Have been holding out on a 360 until the games started to come out and to also see if the ps3 would be a better bet for my $. Thinking that it may be time for the 360. Was waiting for a price drop and the new cooler running processor, but do not see either of those on the horizon. couple things:

1. do the 360s in the store already have the update that seemed to brick certain units?

2. Do I need to look for a certain build day or skew like with the original (ie the thompson drive).

anything else I am forgetting?[/QUOTE]

1) I wouldn't be too concerned with updates bricking your console, it is extremely rare. If it were to brick the console it would happen immediately, so you could simply take it back to the store but it really should be a non-issue. I'm not sure if the new consoles come preloaded with the latest update, I know a console built August 2006 did not have the spring update.

2) http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm there is a comparison of the drives. I haven't heard of one being less reliable than the other.

Edit: http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEVEVpuAFlADGfQTcP.php A third drive but no real information.

You could've pulled the trigger a while ago. Since Dead Rising came out there has been plenty of Triple A titles out. At that time there was Dead Rising, Fight Night, GRAW, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, and now there is Call of Duty 3, Gears of War, FEAR, Rainbow Six Vegas, Viva Pinata, etc.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']You should have "pulled the trigger" last March, after GRAW and Oblivion came out.[/QUOTE]

For once, VG speaks the m-f'n' truth.

just do it.

imo, should've pulled the trigger before x-mas at least.
i remember seeing lots of good deals.

[quote name='videogamejunkie']Have been holding out on a 360 until the games started to come out and to also see if the ps3 would be a better bet for my $. Thinking that it may be time for the 360. Was waiting for a price drop and the new cooler running processor, but do not see either of those on the horizon. couple things:

anything else I am forgetting?[/quote]

I feel your worry. The November update bricked my 360, and it was only a month old. I just got another 360 last week, and I refuse to take it online in fear of an update killing it again.

I just got back from cc with my new 360. Used the new $40 coupon with no problems. Will my live account transfer? How do I download the patches for original xbox games?

[quote name='screwkick']I feel your worry. The November update bricked my 360, and it was only a month old. I just got another 360 last week, and I refuse to take it online in fear of an update killing it again.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I find this funny.

You should have been able to still return it to the store.

Please buy it. I recently (today) made a purchase that I'm not sure if I'm even going to be keeping, and I feel the need to urge someone to buy a 360 to maintain balance in the universe.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You could've pulled the trigger a while ago. Since Dead Rising came out there has been plenty of Triple A titles out. At that time there was Dead Rising, Fight Night, GRAW, Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, and now there is Call of Duty 3, Gears of War, FEAR, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc.[/QUOTE]

See, I've been leaning towards a 360 (instead of the PS3) mostly because of Sony's handling of, well, just about everything. I never had an Xbox so this is a big deal for me.

But looking at your list of games there, I say "meh" to the nth degree. Not one of those besides Oblivion has even a passing interest for me. This is why I never owned an Xbox, I guess, and why I'll wait for the cheaper/cooler 360 in any case. OK, to be fair, GoW does indeed have a "passing" interest only because of all the great reviews and CAG hype - but I wouldn't pay more than $10-$15 for it. Oblivion is the only game up there I'd buy at current prices. The rest I wouldn't play for free ;).

There are a few games coming up, though, that have me interested (mostly RPG's) - but I can definitely old out for the revision and/or price drop (or at least a decent Costco bundle - c'mon, throw Oblivion in there!).

[quote name='videogamejunkie']I just got back from cc with my new 360. Used the new $40 coupon with no problems. Will my live account transfer? How do I download the patches for original xbox games?[/QUOTE]
Go to "recover account from xbox live" or "account recovery" or whatever the option below "join xbox live" is.

I recommend linking your gamertag to Xbox.com first, then you just enter your MSN Passport and password into the 360.

The updates automatically download when you insert a BC game.

If you dont get one now then you're at risk of Bill Gates coming to your house personally and making you buy one.

[quote name='videogamejunkie']I just got back from cc with my new 360. Used the new $40 coupon with no problems. Will my live account transfer? How do I download the patches for original xbox games?[/quote]

Nooooooo

You should have waited for the new 361 that's going to have all sorts of improved stuff. You just got the first-gen gimp version.

[quote name='camoor']Nooooooo

You should have waited for the new 361 that's going to have all sorts of improved stuff. You just got the first-gen gimp version.[/QUOTE]
hello mcfly

hmm im having this same dilemma
and im set on 360 yet i kno i should wait if ps3 will have some good games then make my decison but im heavily leaning towards 360
if now what would be the best deal...doesnt have to be cheapest but overall package
like i thin my bb has the premium at msrp with free madden 07 and same with target except it comes with nba 2k7
or that one costco bundle with GoW?

anything else I am forgetting?[/QUOTE]

Like many have said, just buy one.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

You should have waited for the new 361 that's going to have all sorts of improved stuff. You just got the first-gen gimp version.[/quote]

First Gen? As opposed to this new versions " second gen"? Come on now. It hasn't even been confirmed yet people are all over it, and at the same time, bunches of games with great potential have been confirmed. You don't even know when the new thing is coming out or what these actual " new features" will be. What if they are features that are possible to obtain on older 360s? THere are just too many variables to the situation.

I'm happy with the guy's choice. If I had the oppurtunity I would've had mine already. And thanks, now that Microsoft knows that this thing is widespread thoughout the internet, even if there actually was some new update, they'd have to delay it so they won't piss people off and to convice people that it was a hoax so others would keep buying them. Good luck waiting :D. i'm getting mine as soon as I have the cash for one, a warranty, and some games.

[quote name='thrustbucket']For some reason I find this funny.

You should have been able to still return it to the store.[/quote]
I did return it, and got a full refund. I just waited a few weeks to decide again.

can anyone direct me to a site that tells me all the differences between the $299 version and the $399 version? Or if there is a forum here discussing it let me know.

Basically i want to be able to play online. Can either version do this, or do you have to have a hard drive? I know I have to buy that wireless thing seperately but that is for both versions.

[quote name='schuerm26']can anyone direct me to a site that tells me all the differences between the $299 version and the $399 version? Or if there is a forum here discussing it let me know.

Basically i want to be able to play online. Can either version do this, or do you have to have a hard drive? I know I have to buy that wireless thing seperately but that is for both versions.[/QUOTE]

There's really no reason to buy the Core. You'll appreciate the money you spent immediately.

[quote name='schuerm26']can anyone direct me to a site that tells me all the differences between the $299 version and the $399 version? Or if there is a forum here discussing it let me know.

Basically i want to be able to play online. Can either version do this, or do you have to have a hard drive? I know I have to buy that wireless thing seperately but that is for both versions.[/QUOTE]

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

Basically the $299 package is not a good deal. Get the $399 setup, find a deal like the BB Maden deal and have fun.

You should have waited for the new 361 that's going to have all sorts of improved stuff. You just got the first-gen gimp version.[/QUOTE]

You say this sarcastically but for someone like me, it's a real concern. I'm not that big into anything the 360 has to offer, but it has some games I'm certainly interested in. Still, I don't have a personal HD-TV. I've never been that big into playing online. I still think $400 is too much for a system (or a system and Madden which I don't care at all about). At this point, I've waited X number of months to play games like Viva Pinata and Dead Rising. I feel like I can wait X number of months more to not end up with 20 GB hard drive 360 when one with an HDMI port, built in wi-fi, a 60/120 GB hard drive, the ability to bake muffins, and a quieter fan comes out for the same price in May. When the next game I really want for a system I don't have comes out in November (Alan Wake) and the combination of the current games don't add up to $400 for me (plus the rumor of another 360 around the bend) I find myself hesitant to buy in on any console at $300 and up.

I almost feel "safer" buying a PS3 simply because I don't see Sony rolling out a significantly better PS3 in the next three years, and even if they did, I feel like I could pass on the technical upgrades it would offer (bigger hard drive then 60 GBs, built in upscaler, etc). I know most of you guys think this is insane logic, but hell, I'm content playing through my backlog of DS/GBA/PS2/GC/Wii games until then.

so iam playing my new 360 that i got yesterday and am placing need for speed most wanted (came free wit the game) and what do you know, it freezes after only an hour of play. WTF. Is this a flook or should I be scared. It was upright at the time, it is now laying flat. How good is the MS warranty on this thing, should I buy the extended one that is offered in the box?

[quote name='furyk']You say this sarcastically but for someone like me, it's a real concern. I'm not that big into anything the 360 has to offer, but it has some games I'm certainly interested in. Still, I don't have a personal HD-TV. I've never been that big into playing online. I still think $400 is too much for a system (or a system and Madden which I don't care at all about). At this point, I've waited X number of months to play games like Viva Pinata and Dead Rising. I feel like I can wait X number of months more to not end up with 20 GB hard drive 360 when one with an HDMI port, built in wi-fi, a 60/120 GB hard drive, the ability to bake muffins, and a quieter fan comes out for the same price in May. When the next game I really want for a system I don't have comes out in November (Alan Wake) and the combination of the current games don't add up to $400 for me (plus the rumor of another 360 around the bend) I find myself hesitant to buy in on any console at $300 and up.

I almost feel "safer" buying a PS3 simply because I don't see Sony rolling out a significantly better PS3 in the next three years, and even if they did, I feel like I could pass on the technical upgrades it would offer (bigger hard drive then 60 GBs, built in upscaler, etc). I know most of you guys think this is insane logic, but hell, I'm content playing through my backlog of DS/GBA/PS2/GC/Wii games until then.[/QUOTE]

I would really recommend you never buy a 360 by that post. And all indications are that the 'new' 360 you speak of will cost more than the one out now.

Just stick with your old systems.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I would really recommend you never buy a 360 by that post. And all indications are that the 'new' 360 you speak of will cost more than the one out now.

Just stick with your old systems.[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely no way the new 360 actually raises the price tag of the 360 to PS3 levels. Not only is it a stupid business move that pits the 360 against the PS3, but it also doesn't take into account the fact that Microsoft is currently making a profit on the 360 hardware. My guess is that a new 360 gets released as a new SKU at $400 while the older premium pack is either phased out or drops in price with the core (Microsoft has said they're not ditching the core and they want to get it down to something like $150). It'll cost more in comparison to the new price of the premium, but the 360 stays cheaper then the PS3 without a doubt. The Sony brand name is still super strong even with all of the missteps they've taken. I still want a 360, but I don't want to pay $400 for a system that'll most likely be outdated by the end of the year. Like I said before, I still want a 360. I just want to get the most bang for my buck and a 360 with bundled Madden or Need For Speed isn't my idea of "bang".

the perfect time to buy a 360 was during december when there were a few deals to get a 360 premium for 300 either through a rebate or GC. picked up mine on the TRU deal and it was well worth it. even if they do release an upgraded system, i think it was worth buying a year in advance at that price.

[quote name='furyk']There is absolutely no way the new 360 actually raises the price tag of the 360 to PS3 levels. [/QUOTE]

There's not even a new 360. All it is, is rumor. Conjecture. No basis in reality. If there were a new 360 coming out this year, your cost/benefit ratio is all sorts of fucked up. You get a year warranty right now. It's real easy to swap them out should they even become available. Yeah, you're getting a smaller chip in the future. Woo. There's no proof that it's going to be any cooler...not that the thing runs agregiously hot right now. You also deny yourself the experience of playing these games (and some are super cheap ATM) for however much longer the upgrade takes.

And when the new chip hits, it may be months before it even shows up in stores after it goes gold, and how are we going to tell?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']There's not even a new 360. All it is, is rumor. Conjecture. No basis in reality. If there were a new 360 coming out this year, your cost/benefit ratio is all sorts of fucked up. You get a year warranty right now. It's real easy to swap them out should they even become available. Yeah, you're getting a smaller chip in the future. Woo. There's no proof that it's going to be any cooler...not that the thing runs agregiously hot right now. You also deny yourself the experience of playing these games (and some are super cheap ATM) for however much longer the upgrade takes.

And when the new chip hits, it may be months before it even shows up in stores after it goes gold, and how are we going to tell?[/QUOTE]

Despite all that, I'm with Furyk - I'm willing to wait. I've lived without an Xbox/Xbox 360 this long. If it stays the same price and/or same model all this year, then I wait. Maybe Sony fixes the upscaling issue and I get a PS3. Maybe not and I wait till 2008 for either of the two. There's not enough games out and only a few coming this year - I'm not missing a damn thing by waiting ;).

Also, I don't think the one year warranty from MS means you can just swap it out for a new model should it come out - what gives you that idea? It's not a Best Buy replacement plan type of thing. I'd definitely wait for a new one even if there is a small chance. My only fear is that with Sony coming in so expensive AND not doing well, MS will feel no need to drop the price (if no new model is forthcoming at the same price). They simply wouldn't need to.

If it looks like Gamerush is going to go away or get even worse than it is now, I will use what's left of my credit there and get a 360 as a "relief valve" to deal with my credit (otherwise I'd rather save it for DS/Wii games). So I may very well end up getting a current model 360 sooner than I realize ;).

[quote name='CocheseUGA']There's not even a new 360. All it is, is rumor. Conjecture. No basis in reality. If there were a new 360 coming out this year, your cost/benefit ratio is all sorts of fucked up. You get a year warranty right now. It's real easy to swap them out should they even become available. Yeah, you're getting a smaller chip in the future. Woo. There's no proof that it's going to be any cooler...not that the thing runs agregiously hot right now. You also deny yourself the experience of playing these games (and some are super cheap ATM) for however much longer the upgrade takes.

And when the new chip hits, it may be months before it even shows up in stores after it goes gold, and how are we going to tell?[/QUOTE]

First off, you're talking to a guy who has 30 unopened games at the moment. The only two games I have a huge crushing desire to play are Dead Rising and Viva Pinata. I don't care about Gears or anything else to the point where I would walk into Best Buy right now and drop $60 on it without even thinking about it. As far as missing out on super cheap games at the moment, again no. I've bought some 360 games on the cheap and I'm perfectly content just having them sit there on my shelf until I get a 360. I did the same thing with the PSP too.

As far as the rumor goes while it is still only a rumor, there are more then a couple of photos floating around of the Zephyr dev kits. I also seriously doubt that Microsoft is going to allow you to switch out an old style 360 with a hypothetical new style 360. Also we'll be able to tell what's a new 360 and what's an old one because every blog and gaming newssite has their ears and eyes open for this announcement or the product. Hell, we've all seen the leaks and we know that something is in the works. The change chip set is currently the low end of what'll be different. There could be a ton of other changes out there too including an HDMI port, a bigger hard drive, and built in wi-fi.

All I know is the 360 hasn't set my world on fire. If it was $300 with hard drive, I would buy one (and would have at the TRU sale if they weren't sold out). If it was $400 with a 60 GB hard drive, built in wi-fi and/or HDMI I would probably buy it then too. I want a 360 at this point, but I don't "need" a 360 especially because I don't have a HD TV or any desire to play any of the January-March games.

Edit: Actually, I really want Crackdown and that's out sooner rather then later. That game looks balls fun.

[quote name='io']
Also, I don't think the one year warranty from MS means you can just swap it out for a new model should it come out - what gives you that idea? [/QUOTE]

If it's broken and they can't fix it, they must replace it. If they stop production on the old model, I doubt they are going to keep a pile of old ones sitting around for warranty purposes.

Secondly, the pictures of the HDMI port were of prototypes. Who knows when they were actually made? While the bigger HDD and smaller chipset are certainties (or otherwise the IPTV would be stored on a Vista PC), the HDMI is not. (And the HDD can be bought seperately if you even need it) In fact, it really doesn't make sense for them to revise the console that much and not include the HD-DVD installed, and they've already pretty much said that's not going to happen. Why have a HDMI port just for games?

Except for the the HDTV and the exact choice of games (for me it is Viva Pinata and Oblivion - I'm not into zombie games in the slightest ;)) we are thinking alike furyk...

I have one of the older SONY HDTV's that Sony has chosen not to support which is the only reason I'm in this forum AT ALL. Really I'm waiting to see what the next move is from Sony or MS to see who gets to be my next-gen PS2-like seconday console (PS2 was a distant second to my GC).

Also, I haven't seen that many cheap 360 games yet (or at least any cheap good ones, except for maybe Burnout Revenge). If I wait a little longer, maybe Oblivion is a Platinum Hits title and I can get that and the other best games really cheap like I did with the PS2.

CocheseUGA - you think they will just replace it with a new one? It is possible, but I thought all you guys said the incidents of 360s breaking down were way overblown? So there's really not much chance you'd end up with the new one if that's the route you need to take to get it. Also, maybe consoles are different, but I know with the DS, Nintendo will have you mail in a phat DS for repair rather than give you a DS Lite as a replacement. I would expect MS to do the same (I could be wrong there but I wouldn't assume they would just give you a new model).

Furthermore, assume the 360 *shock* doesn't break. Microsoft won't have a program where you can trade in your current 360 for a shiny new one. EB will though.... only you'll get $200 credit for your old 360.... with hard drive and wireless controller.

I'd have said wait, since cooler processors are confirmed to be coming this July, if I remember correctly. Also, while I think for the foreseeable future that the 360 will have more compelling software than the PS3, I personally would only be interested in two games that are out currently; most games I've played have underwhelmed.

[quote name='furyk']I almost feel "safer" buying a PS3 simply because I don't see Sony rolling out a significantly better PS3 in the next three years, and even if they did, I feel like I could pass on the technical upgrades it would offer (bigger hard drive then 60 GBs, built in upscaler, etc). [/quote] Because the PS2/PSOne had such low numbers of revisions...:roll:

[quote name='furyk']I know most of you guys think this is insane logic, but hell, I'm content playing through my backlog of DS/GBA/PS2/GC/Wii games until then.[/quote]By your logic then, why did you even buy a Wii? :whistle2:s If you had backlog to begin with that you were soo concerned about, then why compound it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back