TinyURL blocked?

F8X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I'm just curious why tinyurl is blocked.

They now have a preview feature so that you can see what the site is before going to it so shock sites aren't really a problem anymore.

I know there are other alternatives too.

People were using it to bypass CAG's auto affiliate link converter, and were inserting their own affiliate code.

I'm not really sure why you would need to use those sites anyway as the forum software has a insert link function. You can take a long URL and insert it over any text you want. Just use this button:
createlink.gif

Example

Am I missing something? What other function is served by those sites?

[quote name='CheapyD']People were using it to bypass CAG's auto affiliate link converter, and were inserting their own affiliate code.

I'm not really sure why you would need to use those sites anyway as the forum software has a insert link function. You can take a long URL and insert it over any text you want. Just use this button:
createlink.gif

Example

Am I missing something? What other function is served by those sites?[/quote]
It's really more for organizing articles and signatures. For instance my Signature has a lot of links to other sites I visit. TinyURL helps me keep it a little more organised as many places have long addresses.

If Sigs don't have a hypertext limit then there isn't a problem for me at least.

[quote name='F8X']It's really more for organizing articles and signatures. For instance my Signature has a lot of links to other sites I visit. TinyURL helps me keep it a little more organised as many places have long addresses.

If Sigs don't have a hypertext limit then there isn't a problem for me at least.[/QUOTE]
No offense, but are there a great number of CAGs who care what sites you visit on a regular basis? It can't be more than a handful of people.

If you've got that many links and friends who have to see them, you could set up a blog, homepage or MySpace for that instead of a forum signature.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']No offense, but are there a great number of CAGs who care what sites you visit on a regular basis? It can't be more than a handful of people.

If you've got that many links and friends who have to see them, you could set up a blog, homepage or MySpace for that instead of a forum signature.[/quote]
None taken. I was just curious on why TinyURL was blocked in the first place. I understand why Cheapy is trying to do by blocking it as well.

Cheapy's question was simply what was the point of TinyURL besides people who want to not be affiliated with CAG. I simply stated one other usage.

bread's done
Back