Tipping etiquette question (for bars, etc).

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just a quick question on tipping for those who go to resturaunts and bars, etc.

I always tip 20%, unless service is very good or very poor (adjusting accordingly), but when I factor the tip, I do not add the tax as part of the bill. My friend said this is wrong.

For example, if my bill is $100.00, with $6.00 tax I would tip based on $100, while my friend would tip based on $106.

It's not really that big of a deal, based on the difference of amount, but I was taught the tax part is not part of your bill, since it's tax.

Just curious what other people do.

I do about 15% on average and I usually include tax at restaurants. I don't know wha to tip for a drink, does a dollar sound right? I also have a question. If you go on a cruise who are you supposed to tip and how much? I ask because I am going on one in a month and gotta know how much to give. I guess you give some to the room keeper right?

Total bill plus 20% is the minimum, then anything over that for exceptional service.

We've already had this topic but I'll say it again before the flood starts, if you can't afford to tip 20%, you can't afford to eat out.

And now, I'm off to work.

In a kitchen.

15% tip of a 6% tax is so minute compared to the rest... don't you just round up or down?

I tip 15%, more or less depending on the service.

15% is the normal accepted minimum. ANything beyond that and they're getting greedy. Bartenders at college bars typically deserve no tip. THey skimp on the alcohol, spill a lot and fill your drink with nice, not drink.

This tip is for acceptable servce. Unacceptable service (constantly forgetting orders, inordinate waits, rudeness, etc) deserves less if no tip.

Tips are usually refered to as Gratuity. No reason to be gratuitous for terrible service.

[quote name='godhatesjustyou']i always tip 15% also, more if they really deserved it.

also, tax here is 7.75% so i usually just double tax and leave that as tip.[/QUOTE]

same here

does anyone know how much should you tip a taxi driver?

[quote name='Purkeynator'] If you go on a cruise who are you supposed to tip and how much? I ask because I am going on one in a month and gotta know how much to give. I guess you give some to the room keeper right?[/QUOTE]

Tipping "rules" on cruises varies with the cruise line. Usually, you tip waiters and cabin staff and any others who provide personal service but on some lines they add a service charge to your ship board account meant to cover most tips. Norwegian Cruise Line adds $10 a day per adult, less for kids, for example. On this line you don't have fixed waiters so every meal you're served theoretically by someone new so unless you receive exceptional service the waiters aren't tipped individually. Also, they add 15% to bar tabs.

You need to read the material that comes with your ticket or check out the cruise line's website for tipping guidance- not that you have to follow it but you certainly don't want to double tip unknowingly.

Another great resource is cruisecritic.com. Go to their Boards and look for your cruise line to get info on tipping or anything related to your cruise. I've found the members there very knowledgable and very helpful. Bon voyage!

I usually do 15% of the bill + tax then round up to the next dollar for acceptable service, less if something was unsatisfactory, or more than that if they went above and beyond in some manner.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Total bill plus 20% is the minimum, then anything over that for exceptional service.

We've already had this topic but I'll say it again before the flood starts, if you can't afford to tip 20%, you can't afford to eat out.

And now, I'm off to work.

In a kitchen.[/QUOTE]

I can afford to tip well over 20% but I rarely see times when I need to. I did a search for "Tipping" before posting but didn't see the other topic in 3 pages of search results.

Most people seem to tip 15% on average, I guess I was over tipping LOL. Thanks for everyone's input.

20% to start (excluding tax for me), goes up or down depending on service though. At bars it's a dollar per drink because I never run a tab and you don't always have the same bartender (especially in bigger places).

According to the official guidelines, 15% BEFORE tax is the accepted norm.

http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageRestaurant.html

I did a Google search for "Tipping Etiqutte" and found their site.

And, as people have mentioned, the price difference is so minute between factoring in tax and not. I wasn't concerned with the cost, just curious as what was considered acceptable since my friend and I had the discussion about factoring in the tax or not.

Thanks again everyone.

Technically you don't have to factor in the tax, as that isn't what the meal cost the restaurant, but it doesn't change the tip that much, and I just usually round up anyway.

Technically its before tax, but most people that I know just tip based on the entire bill. The ones that tip before tax are usually cheap anyway and just looking for any excuse to spend less.

Those are also the people who get into arguments over a dollar when we split the check.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']
Those are also the people who get into arguments over a dollar when we split the check.[/QUOTE]

When you posted that, I thought of this:

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

lol. I have one friend who didn't tip until recently. His family never went out to eat much and, when they did, I guess he never noticed them tipping. I had to talk to him a bit just so he'd tip. Once he realized you were supposed to tip (and not tipping was very rude) he tips the minimum he thinks he can without being rude. We'll be at a restaurant and I'll want to tip 8 and he'll want to tip 6, and I usually end up paying the extra buck. In that case I pay 5 he pays 3, instead of 4 and 4.

I am a waiter in a restaurant and let me tell you the MINIMUM guests should tip is 15% after tax. Most people don't realize that the server tips out other workers in the restaurant around 5% of their tips, so for example if you tip 10%, we actually make only 5%. If you can't tip 15%, please dont go out to eat as occassionally cheap guests actually COST US MONEY to serve them.

[quote name='bigsyxxy']I am a waiter in a restaurant and let me tell you the MINIMUM guests should tip is 15% after tax. Most people don't realize that the server tips out other workers in the restaurant around 5% of their tips, so for example if you tip 10%, we actually make only 5%. If you can't tip 15%, please dont go out to eat as occassionally cheap guests actually COST US MONEY to serve them.[/QUOTE]

I went to a chinese restaurant in toronto's chinatown once. I ordered a dish that was chicken w/ mixed vegetables over rice served with a pot of tea. It cost me 4.00 cad (3 u.s. at the time). I either tipped 1 or 2 bucks (can't remember). Did they lose money on me?

[quote name='bigsyxxy']I am a waiter in a restaurant and let me tell you the MINIMUM guests should tip is 15% after tax. Most people don't realize that the server tips out other workers in the restaurant around 5% of their tips, so for example if you tip 10%, we actually make only 5%. If you can't tip 15%, please dont go out to eat as occassionally cheap guests actually COST US MONEY to serve them.[/QUOTE]
I know that in bars they typically have a communal tip jar that is split percentage-wise among all the servers, door men and bus boys. However, do you guys, as waiters, report how much you made in tips or something? I was under the assumption that you guys would just pocket everything.

Most major restaurants (chains) make you report your tips at the end of your shift, so taxes come out of it at the end of the year.

Let's say you work a dinner shift, your sales, as waitstaff, are, $800. Now, let's say they all leave you 20%, so that's $160 bucks.

Now, end of your shift, you gotta tip out the bus boys, bartenders and hostess about 5% a piece. So, 2 bus boys, 2 bartenders, a hostess, you're down to $120, and you gotta tell the gubmint that you made that money so they're gonna want some of that all the while you make the King's Ransom of $2.38 an hour add this onto fact that waitstaff have to do "side work", stocking the communal stations they all use, cleaning ect. Which could, at some places be about an hour or 2 of work that you're doing and not working tables and not making tips.

So, if customers tip 20%, in a 7 hour shift, you're making about 17 bucks an hour, plus your 2.38$ an hour but most of that is eaten up by your insurance and taxes.

Now, before you say "OH MY GOD! MY DAD DOESN"T MAKE 17 BUCKS AN HOUR" keep in mind that that's a pretty busy shift to be working and you don't always make that "17 an hour" maybe you pulled a lunch shift, where the ticket average is WAY lower than dinner, so now, you're doing 4 hours at lunch, not turnin' too many tables because it's a Wednesday so you might only bring home 20 bucks that day, so that works out to about 5 bucks an hour.

Just things to think about next time you're eating out.

I tip 10-15% if it was okay, no real complaints. 20% if I go to Sanbiki or Arigato, my two favorite restaraunts, or if I really enjoyed the service. I don't tip if they screw up. I make far less money than they do, so if they don't do a satisfactory job, I don't see why a poorer person should give them money :p.

If I had more money, I think I'd tip 10% regardless. I don't go out to eat much anymore though. Not tipping is generally considered rude, but I don't get tipped working at Taco Time, making less hourly than they do to begin with, so whatever.

[quote name='LaseK']I tip 10-15% if it was okay, no real complaints. 20% if I go to Sanbiki or Arigato, my two favorite restaraunts, or if I really enjoyed the service. I don't tip if they screw up. I make far less money than they do, so if they don't do a satisfactory job, I don't see why a poorer person should give them money :p.

If I had more money, I think I'd tip 10% regardless. I don't go out to eat much anymore though. Not tipping is generally considered rude, but I don't get tipped working at Taco Time, making less hourly than they do to begin with, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you leave Taco Time and go to a place where you would get tipped?

I tip at the 20% range. However I start every meal with what I call the 5 dollar rule. I start at $5 and work my way up or down. If I go the whole meal without getting a refill on my drink thats a buck down. If you never check on me buck gone. So now you are $3 but then you bring me fresh hot rolls up a buck. Then you make a good joke up a buck. However in the end I try to stay at 20%.

For example I went to outback and the place was packed. However our server got us refills, cleaned our table of dirty plates quickly, stayed extremely nice and accommodated all of our needs. She got a $12 tip on a $40 ticket.

Then a few days ago I went to red lobster. The server never cleaned out table of old plates We wee stacking stuff and running out of room. We had to ask for refills so he got $7 bucks on a $70 ticket.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Why don't you leave Taco Time and go to a place where you would get tipped?[/QUOTE]

i go to college 10am to 8pm every day, and taco time is the one place thats close to me (in the mall) that I can work at after 8PM. it was either taco time or mcdonalds, really, or drop out of college and work a slightly better job but have no future. i picked working at taco time.

EDIT: every weekday. i can work other places saturday/sunday, but its easier for me to just hold one job.

I usually tip 20% and then add a dollar or two depending on service and/or if the waitress is hot (maybe extra if shes friendly too). If you can't tip a waiter/waitress at least 15%, then go to McDonalds you cheap fuck.

Went out to a Greek place that used to be good. Lady took our orders for meal + drinks. Ignored us completely until the meal was ready THEN brought the drinks (20 minutes later). Gave us the check with the meal. Never came by the table again. She got no tip. I was going to sit there until she came back and steal her tips from every other table but alas I was with a group.

If you're a douchebag you deserve to lose money because you're costing your employer money. I tip anywhere from 0 to 25% depending on how good/hot my server is. Yes hotness = more money that's life.

20% of Bill + Tax as my standard. My friends usually do the same although I have a few who feel that 10% is the standard. I try to avoid eating out with them mostly because, if we have a small party (and since the individuals in question like ordering huge meals), the rest of us usually throw in quite a bit extra to compensate for our friend beind an ass.

Otherwise, depending on service, I go as low as 15% (or nothing, for that one time...absolutely wretched) or as high as 40%, depending upon the service and the meal itself. If I grab a full breakfast at a sit-down place for $3, I'm tossing $1.50 towards the wait staff.

And on those days where I don't really have the money to tip I just go somewhere where the prices are reasonable for what I want to eat that night and skip the Coke. The Coke alone is anywhere from $1.99 to $2.99, so that usually covers the bulk of the tip, no problem. Either that or I spend half the time walking to the store and picking up what I was going to eat in a restaurant, bring it home, and spend the other half of that same amount of time cooking for around 1/5 the overall cost.

As for cab drivers, it depends. I usually go with around 15% on average, 20% if it's a long haul. When I'm in a cab with a guy for a half an hour to an hour, I'm going to really compensate him because he's well out of his way. The only problem is that most of the times I need to take taxis out that far I join up with other people who feel that the driver is getting paid enough as it is. That and they insist on leaving early. Boy, does it ever feel good to be the last person out and being the sole tip-giver.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Most major restaurants (chains) make you report your tips at the end of your shift, so taxes come out of it at the end of the year.

Let's say you work a dinner shift, your sales, as waitstaff, are, $800. Now, let's say they all leave you 20%, so that's $160 bucks.

Now, end of your shift, you gotta tip out the bus boys, bartenders and hostess about 5% a piece. So, 2 bus boys, 2 bartenders, a hostess, you're down to $120, and you gotta tell the gubmint that you made that money so they're gonna want some of that all the while you make the King's Ransom of $2.38 an hour add this onto fact that waitstaff have to do "side work", stocking the communal stations they all use, cleaning ect. Which could, at some places be about an hour or 2 of work that you're doing and not working tables and not making tips.

So, if customers tip 20%, in a 7 hour shift, you're making about 17 bucks an hour, plus your 2.38$ an hour but most of that is eaten up by your insurance and taxes.
[/QUOTE]

Must be nice. I'll show math from my work.

Say i make $200.00 in tips for the night.

I have to tip out:
18% to my busser $36
15% to the food runners $30
10% to the Bar $20
5% to the hostess $10
5% to the Coffee/Bread guy $10
4% to the dishwasher $$8

That means out of $200 i actually have a take home of $86. THEN i have to declare to the lovely government that i made that $86 so that they can have thier 23% which is a grand total of $66.22

Pretty good off of $200 eh?

Gotta love cheap fucks that can't even leave 15%.

[quote name='CheapyD']One of my favorite things about Japan is no tipping...ever.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much they make an hour/salary...

[quote name='LaseK']I tip 10-15% if it was okay, no real complaints. 20% if I go to Sanbiki or Arigato, my two favorite restaraunts, or if I really enjoyed the service. I don't tip if they screw up. I make far less money than they do, so if they don't do a satisfactory job, I don't see why a poorer person should give them money :p.

If I had more money, I think I'd tip 10% regardless. I don't go out to eat much anymore though. Not tipping is generally considered rude, but I don't get tipped working at Taco Time, making less hourly than they do to begin with, so whatever.[/QUOTE]

Tipping 10% is considered rude too. It suggests you think they did a very poor job.

But you have to understand that they often only make about 2-3 bucks an hour, which is significantly less than you. Tips are expected and factored into their salary. They aren't over and above it.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Why don't you leave Taco Time and go to a place where you would get tipped?[/QUOTE]

Most establishments don't like hiring college students.

[quote name='Deadpool']
I have to tip out:
18% to my busser $36
15% to the food runners $30
10% to the Bar $20
5% to the hostess $10
5% to the Coffee/Bread guy $10
4% to the dishwasher $$8
[/QUOTE]

Wow. When I worked in the restaurant none of the kitchen staff got jack. The wait staff didn't give the bar anything either, as that was considered seperate. Only the bussers and the hostess got anything and how much was full discression of the waiter/waitress. I can't believe you actually dole out that much cash to the others... damn, I'm also surprised you don't throw anything towards the chef either, considering the impressive list.

If I'm ever in the restaurant you work at, I'll jack up the tip but only if you skim off the top. ;)

The amount of time spent deliberating over what you should leave, in most cases, is a debate over $2-3 at the most. If you decide to not leave those extra couple bucks because service was poor, that's fine. Any other reason? You don't deserve any dining out but the "dollar menu."

People seriously make like 2.38 an hour?

Here, the minimum wage for a server/hostess/dishwasher/kitchen staff is $7, and that doesn't take into account tips (typically 15%+)

What a difference a border makes, eh?

at bars i tip big my first few drinks, maybe like 2 or 3 dollars a drink, then if the bartender gets the hint and makes my drinks really strong, i continue tipping. but ive stiffed plenty of bartenders who gave me a coke when i ordered a rum and coke (not that there wasnt rum in there, just you could hardly tell)

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Can we define what "good" service is? To me, just doing the bare minimum isn't all that hot.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you want to attend culinary school? While any good restaurant will feature a front versus back of the house rivalry the likes of which might make the Hatfields and McCoys blush, nobody with any amount of experience or understanding lacks empathy for what shit servers go through.

In order to determine what "good" service is, I can only recommend working a Friday night, getting the section with two two-tops and two big tops. Then you will understand that you don't have the time or desire to lick anybody's ass for an additional 5%, and that there are people who will seek out any excuse for dwindling your tip by a few bucks.

[quote name='Mike23']People seriously make like 2.38 an hour?

Here, the minimum wage for a server/hostess/dishwasher/kitchen staff is $7, and that doesn't take into account tips (typically 15%+)

What a difference a border makes, eh?[/QUOTE]

Minimum wage in MA is higher than ontario. Though its been getting very close lately with the rising canadian dollar, and u.s. states that stick with the federal minimum wage are lower now than any canadian province. Then again, goods in canada often don't reflect the rising dollar as much (though they have come down somewhat), so it evens out. It was about 65 cents on the dollar a few years ago, low to high 70's when I was there and now its in the high 80's.

But if you get tips or work on commission the base salary is often much lower. If for some reason your commission or tips don't average out to the minimum wage (or whatever salary the company pegs the minimum at) then they give you the difference. I'm not sure what time period it is though, I think at sears it was every paycheck (which was once every two weeks) but I'm not certain. Sears paid about half the minimum wage to commissioned workers when I was there.

[quote name='mykevermin']Didn't you want to attend culinary school? While any good restaurant will feature a front versus back of the house rivalry the likes of which might make the Hatfields and McCoys blush, nobody with any amount of experience or understanding lacks empathy for what shit servers go through.

In order to determine what "good" service is, I can only recommend working a Friday night, getting the section with two two-tops and two big tops. Then you will understand that you don't have the time or desire to lick anybody's ass for an additional 5%, and that there are people who will seek out any excuse for dwindling your tip by a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

So, what you're saying is that they're as busy as any other, well, busy job, but we should be thankful that they do the minimum? I don't think I can be quite that sympathetic to their "plight" if they're doing the same amount of work as some retail monkey on a busy friday night. Considering that when someone bitched about how much money they "only" made through tips in a night tended to eclipse the amount of money I would make in an 8 hour shift at most jobs I held, I tend to lose a lot of sympathy.

Also, what does wanting to be a chef have to do with being a server? If I'm not mistaken, they're two different jobs. Quite disparate from each other.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']So, what you're saying is that they're as busy as any other, well, busy job, but we should be thankful that they do the minimum? I don't think I can be quite that sympathetic to their "plight" if they're doing the same amount of work as some retail monkey on a busy friday night. Esepcially considering that when someone bitched about how much money they "only" made through tips in a night tended to eclipse the amount of money I would make in an 8 hour shift at most jobs I held.[/quote]

What pleases one customer to the next varies greatly; what do *you* consider to be "above and beyond" when it comes to service? For instance, in my serving experience, there are two types of people whom I hate more than anything else. Let's call them "camels" and "short-termers" respectively. The former suck down the entirety of a beverage within 8 seconds of placing it on a table, and they manage to continue to do so despite the sheer number of refills you've given them. If nobody refills their beverage once every 2 minutes (literally), they will get pissed at the "poor" service. The latter category can't seem to muster up the intellectual prowess to request several things at once. After you take their salad, perhaps, one will ask for an extra side of bacon bits; upon returning with that, they will have "one more" thing for you to do. For these kinds of people, you will run your ass off all night, and one slight mistake will reduce your tip. The problem with your mentality is you don't want to reward people for doing their job well, and you'd rather disregard all the things done properly, timely, and politely, and punish them the moment they've failed to do one thing properly.

On the other hand, I'm the kind of person who wants to be left the fuck alone; if a server is constantly asking me how I'm doing, or if I'd like anything else, or trying to be chatty, I get angry. I understand their plight, since it seems to obvious from this thread that there are people desperate for social interaction that they demand their server wax their car and show them a magic trick before tipping over the pitiful 15%. I, on the other hand, don't care for it, and I don't let it bother me (since I know I'm in the minority).

Also, what does wanting to be a chef have to do with being a server. If I'm not mistaken, they're two different jobs. Quite disparate from each other.

You're gonna have to live with them, and if you get that far, you'll see, very clearly unless you're a total buffoon, precisely why servers piss over the difference between 15 and 20%. I simply can't fathom how someone with no kitchen experience, and someone who can't reason tipping properly wants to work in a kitchen. You will be in for the *shock* of a lifetime if you go that direction.

Cheapy what is this about no tipping in Japan. Why is that? I bought some chopsticks from a nice Japanese looking lady in the mall and my change was .14 cents. I didn't want the change and it took me forever for her to take it. I was stuffed full of presents and I didn't feel like setting them down. Is it a shame thing?

Speaking of etiquette what is the etiquette for eating out with people. Do we all just split the bill, Does everyone sit and figure out what the ate and how much it costs. When I go out to eat it's normally I'll buy this time and you buy next time. no matter the cost. If I buy outback steakhouse ($70), and then you take us to sake (sushi) ($100 or so) it doesn't matter that I paid $70 last time its your turn to pay.

I guess this is why I only eat out with people I'm close to. And we never have had a problem using this system. Also no one's an ass as to where they buy a bottle of liqour and then some whole lobsters.

[quote name='mykevermin']I simply can't fathom how someone with no kitchen experience, and someone who can't reason tipping properly wants to work in a kitchen. You will be in for the *shock* of a lifetime if you go that direction.[/QUOTE]

Can you fathom someone with no hospital experience wanting to be a doctor? Someone with no court experience wanting to be a lawyer? Someone with no law enforcement experience being a police officer? I think you catch my drift.

As for the problematic customers, so what? You deal with exactly the same thing as any retail monkey, and seemingly get paid more. If the only reason I should tip someone is because they don't make that much, maybe they should find a different vocation rather than abstaining from doing what is necessary for the few problematic customers that you mentioned.

What do I consider a good server? Someone who is willing to check up on my table on regular intervals that are frequent enough to do what is necessary, but so frequent to become irritating. Someone who doesn't screw up my order.

Most importantly, someone who doesn't have a surly attitude. I know many people hate their job, but I also know that a little professionalism goes a long way. I hated many customers, but I extend to them professional courtsey and I don't let my personal feelings bleed out. If that's too much to ask for, then I have nothing to feel ashamed about.

[quote name='Graystone']
Speaking of etiquette what is the etiquette for eating out with people. Do we all just split the bill, Does everyone sit and figure out what the ate and how much it costs. When I go out to eat it's normally I'll buy this time and you buy next time. no matter the cost. If I buy outback steakhouse ($70), and then you take us to sake (sushi) ($100 or so) it doesn't matter that I paid $70 last time its your turn to pay.
[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on the type of people you are with. My friends usually go by the, everyone pays for their own food but other times with other people who I wouldn't really consider friends, just people I know, everyone just splits the bill.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Can you fathom someone with no hospital experience wanting to be a doctor? Someone with no court experience wanting to be a lawyer? Someone with no law enforcement experience being a police officer? I think you catch my drift.[/quote]

You've no idea what you're in for.

As for the problematic customers, so what? You deal with exactly the same thing as any retail monkey, and seemingly get paid more. If the only reason I should tip someone is because they don't make that much, maybe they should find a different vocation rather than abstaining from doing what is necessary for the few problematic customers that you mentioned.
The *few* problematic customers? Sheeeit, boyo, again I must state, you have no idea. As far as finding a different job, when the hell did you become a "get a job, you bum" Republican? The fact of the matter is this: waiting tables can pay exceptionally well; it can also pay exceptionally poorly. The difference between the two is often the aggregate of people deciding whether or not to leave those extra few dollars. Serving is a job that you simply don't understand, and I don't think that you will understand until you work a few shifts making shitty money, and making good money.

That having been said, I have one final bit of advice for you, and I'm done with this thread: if you're a shitty tip, don't eat out at the same place twice.

bread's done
Back