TMACDaddy banned from CAG & arrested for selling stolen items. UPDATED OP Re: Refunds

Since it does appear that FranchiseGarnett has issued some refunds I updated the OP to indicate any users out money should PM him (as well as copying shrike)

FG, I believe you should be able to immediately close any PayPal disputes by agreeing to issue a full refund. But it could be that you've already got that down since Raw has his refund.

[quote name='wubb']Since it does appear that FranchiseGarnett has issued some refunds I updated the OP to indicate any users out money should PM him (as well as copying shrike)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for updating the OP.

AFAIK, there are four users who have PM'd me about being out money, two of them $60, one out $50 (who has his money, from his post above), and one out $20.

If there are more, they haven't PM'd me, if they've PM'd FranchiseGarnett.

Hey Franchise,

If you could, please inform Travis that due to his current situation the items I had sent out have been recalled and that our original deal is cancelled so that's one less thing off our minds.

Thank you,
Gwing00

K, one person has been refunded, give it time and all of you guys will get it back, don't worry, thanks for your patience, gwing00, what was this deal? So I can tell him.

[quote name='FranchiseGarnett']K, one person has been refunded, give it time and all of you guys will get it back, don't worry, thanks for your patience, gwing00, what was this deal? So I can tell him.[/QUOTE]

alright cool....

back laying down sick.

Wow, I was just about to buy 3 1 GIG Compact Flash cards from him for an extremly low price for all 3. Really glad I decided to transfer the money first to my PP account instead of sending an E-Check first. Paid off in the end

Something didn't seem right though that those prices where extremly low as flash cards of 1 GIG sell for extremly higher than that.

Overall thanks Shrike for the advice not to send the payment until his temporary ban was over. Glad I contacted you and saved myself the trouble to go through all that.

[quote name='shrike4242']
I'm sure the shipping from the office came from the fact it was right there, in his face, and easy enough to have done without much issue. It also makes a great audit trail for finding where items were sent to. Whoops.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this had been covered, but the reason he used DHL is obvious, he never had to leave the store. I used to work for officemax a few years ago, and it's company policy that they search all the bags of closing employees before they leave. He would have never been able to leave the building with the kind of stash he had accumulated and taking things bit by bit would have drastically upped his odds of getting caught.

The way he did it, all he had to do was take an item back to copy max when business was slow, rub it over a "demagnetizer" so the package wouldn't set off an alarm and then box it up and leave it for shipping. Since the machine doesn't make you pay before it prints out the shipping documentation, all he had to do was chuck the "bring this to the cashier" portion and stick his packages in the bin. It's a viscious loophole that has been exploited before within the company (before I came in some guy had been shipping out stolen digital cameras using the same method). I'm not exactly a fan of OfficeMax and their employee treatment, but doing shit like this is not only illegal, but it screws all his coworkers (they lose "shrink" bonuses and are placed under increased scrutiny as a result of these sorts of things). Great job Shrike.

shrike, he's our hero.
Gonna take thievery down to zero

Gonna help him put asunder
Bad guys who like to loot and plunder.

That pretty much sums up how I feel on this subject.

[quote name='MightySlacker']I dont want to say i told you so...

http://gametz.com/user/tmac1.html

http://gametz.com/usertab/KingEli89/tab/Bio.html

Ip addresses did match. Whoever it is issuing refunds, this was not his first trading account regardless of what he says. I can list quite a few more links after this. But everyone appreciates you trying to make this situation right.

Dave[/QUOTE]
Feel free to toss in as many links as you'd like, Dave. The more the merrier.

[quote name='joeposh']Sorry if this had been covered, but the reason he used DHL is obvious, he never had to leave the store. I used to work for officemax a few years ago, and it's company policy that they search all the bags of closing employees before they leave. He would have never been able to leave the building with the kind of stash he had accumulated and taking things bit by bit would have drastically upped his odds of getting caught.

The way he did it, all he had to do was take an item back to copy max when business was slow, rub it over a "demagnetizer" so the package wouldn't set off an alarm and then box it up and leave it for shipping. Since the machine doesn't make you pay before it prints out the shipping documentation, all he had to do was chuck the "bring this to the cashier" portion and stick his packages in the bin. It's a viscious loophole that has been exploited before within the company (before I came in some guy had been shipping out stolen digital cameras using the same method). I'm not exactly a fan of OfficeMax and their employee treatment, but doing shit like this is not only illegal, but it screws all his coworkers (they lose "shrink" bonuses and are placed under increased scrutiny as a result of these sorts of things). Great job Shrike.[/QUOTE]
I figured that it was the fact that DHL was in-store is why he ended up using them to ship out the items, though the process you listed above being check-free is pretty scary. Seems like an easy way to do it, and a great temptation to do it as well. Explains why he did it, and he's hopefully going to get what's coming to him.

Well done Shrike!:applause: You should be nominated...actually you should be CAG of the Year. That is if there is something like that, if not then how about start making one CheapyD? Thanks for making this a safe place;)

[quote name='roguejedi5']Well done Shrike!:applause: You should be nominated...actually you should be CAG of the Year. That is if there is something like that, if not then how about start making one CheapyD? Thanks for making this a safe place;)[/QUOTE]

Definitely, but Stink_Pickle should be a nominee as well.

[quote name='roguejedi5']Well done Shrike!:applause: You should be nominated...actually you should be CAG of the Year. That is if there is something like that, if not then how about start making one CheapyD? Thanks for making this a safe place;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='yukine']Definitely, but Stink_Pickle should be a nominee as well.[/QUOTE]
Stink_Pickle went well above and beyond to pay SwishaHouse a visit (more than once, in fact), all I did is make a few phone calls. Plus, I'm a mod and it comes with the territory, he's not, so it's even more out of the way for him to do it.

So now that we know he was selling stolen goods, does that mean that everyone who bought from him is now liable for receiving stolen goods. That is also a crime.

I'm not sure pm'ing shrike with the information is such a good idea.

Shrike4242 is the king of trading. Man I'm glad that guy got his due and also this if gets into any news at all is good press for CAG. Good job Shrike4242

[quote name='stoned99']So now that we know he was selling stolen goods, does that mean that everyone who bought from him is now liable for receiving stolen goods. That is also a crime.

I'm not sure pm'ing shrike with the information is such a good idea.[/QUOTE]
No one's provided me any personal information, and I've not asked for any. I'm only asking for people with stuff outstanding to make sure their money gets back to them when I keep following up on this. No one's who's bought items has sent me any information, and in any case, I could always go through all of his thread and PM all the users who said they were trying to work something out with him.

Before everyone assumes they're about to be dicked on their items, I did consult with someone more versed in the legal aspects of this than me.

For everyone's reading:
[quote name='Some legal advice']I read the thread earlier and stuff like this is generally governed by the Uniform Commercial Code. The people that were sold stolen goods are probably "bona fide [good faith] purchasers" (meaning they had no way to know that it was stolen or that the seller didn't have legal title to them) and are free and clear. You can read up here on the laws governing transactions (Article 2 - Sales is the best place to start): http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/ucc.table.html.

Generally, a purchaser of goods acquires all title which his transferor had or had power to transfer. A person with voidable title [like TMACDaddy had because he stole the items] has power to transfer a good title to a good faith purchaser for value. When goods have been delivered under a transaction of purchase the purchaser has such power even though ... the delivery was procured through fraud punishable as larcenous under the criminal law. See §2-403.

I should note that there are different rules that pertain to "merchants" (who regularly deal in goods of the kind, like Office Max, for example) and non-merchants like you or I selling something bought at Office Max (merchants are held to a higher standard). The rule governing our situation does not appear to be affected by this distinction though.

As far as Office Max recovering their losses, that will probably be accomplished through a civil suit where they will be awarded damages by the court.

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I dont really get this, some dude sells some cheap shit and you guys call his work? Are we moonlighting as detectives now?

There are plenty of people stealing and doing drugs right out your front door... I really dont understand the point of doing citizen arrests on them. Then to come on here and get virtual hi-fives from everyone.... who cares?

Office depot sell that shit they buy at 70% mark up, who gives a shit about them? You think they're gonna give us all sweet deals now? Sheeet, not better deals than TMACDADDY...

If you didnt buy yourself some goods, you missed out... I figure, unless someone got screwed on here over it, who cares where it came from?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I dont really get this, some dude sells some cheap shit and you guys call his work? Are we moonlighting as detectives now?

There are plenty of people stealing and doing drugs right out your front door... I really dont understand the point of doing citizen arrests on them. Then to come on here and get virtual hi-fives from everyone.... who cares?

Office depot sell that shit they buy at 70% mark up, who gives a shit about them? You think they're gonna give us all sweet deals now? Sheeet, not better deals than TMACDADDY...

If you didnt buy yourself some goods, you missed out... I figure, unless someone got screwed on here over it, who cares where it came from?[/QUOTE]
No, we're not moonlighting as detectives, we're dealing with the people who break the regs on doing deals on here. If something's going on that's illegal, I call the police. As I had no proof save my suspicisions, I had to deal with the people who could get that proof.

I called his work because I had suspicions about his activities, and alerted them to that. They looked into it, found that he was stealing, and they're dealing with it. If it was true, and it was, it could look badly on CAG as a place that allows stolen goods to be sold. Which could come and bite CheapyD in the ass, which is something I didn't want to happen.

And frankly, I'm not doing it to get virtual hi-fives from anyone, I'm doing it because CheapyD asked me to keep an eye on the trading forum, and that's what I'm doing. Seems simple enough to me, though if you'd like me to break it down to something more simple, I'll be happy to do so.

OfficeMax sells the items at the prices they're choosing to list them for. If I think it's too expensive, I don't shop there. However, if someone is removing items from their inventory, illegally, because he thinks he can make a quick buck on here, that's something I'm not going to allow to happen. I also don't go looking for stolen items on the street, either.

I'm not the one who's prosecuting him, it's OfficeMax. All I did is let them know about the possibility of something being up, and I could easily have been wrong. If I hadn't, he might've been caught on their end, or he might never have been caught. Either way, he was stealing from OM and selling it here and it's not allowed. I didn't do it because I wanted OM to do something for me, I did it because I wanted this piece of crap off of CAG. And that's what happened.

I do care where things come from, which is why I didn't deal with him. I thought something was funny when he tried to screw over two CAGs, before any of this happened, and I caught him in the act. His behavior since that point didn't make me any more apt to want to deal with him.

If someone managed to get a great deal from him on items they bought, it's not really a deal unless it's completely above board and legal. This wasn't. And OM might ask for their items back, though from what was sent to me in PM and posted above, it's unlikely. Completely up to them if they think it's worth it to do so. If they do, then I'll worry about it, if they don't, I won't.

Go troll somewhere else, Mooky. Plenty of other places for you to do so.

As selfish/wrong as this sounds....

I kinda wish I got in on one of those 300+GB HDD for like $50 shipped.

I never heard of this dude or seen any of his threads prior to reading this thread about him being sent to pound me in the ass prison.

Huge kudos to Shrike for getting this assbag off our site.

I'd love his advice over at my trade problem thread (even though he's not a mod at the site at which this problem lies... I wish he were. Maybe I wouldn't be quite so screwed.).

-sailorneorune

:D damn, i could've got a psp on the cheap. wish i would've known. it's not stolen if i pay for it, right?:D

[quote name='Sailorneorune']Huge kudos to Shrike for getting this assbag off our site.

I'd love his advice over at my trade problem thread (even though he's not a mod at the site at which this problem lies... I wish he were. Maybe I wouldn't be quite so screwed.).

-sailorneorune[/QUOTE]
As requested, I posted over in your thread. It's a long one, so bring some popcorn and a soda:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1623242&postcount=40

Any updates on the situation? I've only heard of RawIsJericho getting his money back so far. Franchise has been on in the past hour, perhaps you're still around? I can be patient, but I'd like to at least know that some attempt is being made to return our money.

The attempt is that he has to raise the money to pay you back, he doesn't have the money anymore, so he has to get it to pay you back, so he's going 1 at a time.

[quote name='FranchiseGarnett']The attempt is that he has to raise the money to pay you back, he doesn't have the money anymore, so he has to get it to pay you back, so he's going 1 at a time.[/QUOTE]
:roll:

I wonder how many license plates you'll have to make to get the money back in-hand.

And I can see this dragging out for a bit. Lovely.

Shrike sucks!

Just kidding. I just felt like people were worshipping him (and rightfully so) and wanted to break the trent. Shrike's awesome for doing what he did and is an awesome trader. As some guy said, he should be user of the year, i'd vote for him.

[quote name='shrike4242']:roll:

I wonder how many license plates you'll have to make to get the money back in-hand.

And I can see this dragging out for a bit. Lovely.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has blood(and plasma) :roll:

The longer this drags on, the less happy I'm going to be about this situation. And the less happy I end up being about this situation, the more likely I think it'll be appropriate that TMAC gets traded around prison as the new meat.

If he wants to make any showing that he really is sorry, he'll get the money from his parents/guardians/whomever, get all the people taken care of on here, and then deal with getting the money back to whomever slowly.

We're pissed off and we want our money back. It's pretty simple.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I dont really get this, some dude sells some cheap shit and you guys call his work? Are we moonlighting as detectives now?

If you didnt buy yourself some goods, you missed out... I figure, unless someone got screwed on here over it, who cares where it came from?[/QUOTE]

Now approaching the ban plate from the on-deck circle...Mookyjooky! Wait, it looks like they're calling for a reliever. It's Shrike! He can really bring the ban heat.

OK, back on topic.

[quote name='neocisco']You're from the Midwest, Shrike, you know it's called pop! (But we will accept soda):D[/QUOTE]
Actually, I'm not from around here originally, so I can get away with calling it soda. ;)

My parents had to pay 10 grand to get him out for bail, he would ask his girlfriend but she left him, there is nothing left, nobody can give him money, he's trying his hardest to get it.

Bad boys, bad boys,
whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do
when Shrike gets you?

Bad boys, bad boys,
whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do
when Shrike kicks your ass off CAG?

I finally see why some of the other Halo 2 Clan guys didn't think too highly of Mooky.....but thats a completely different issue.

It looks like this could end up being long and drawn out, atleast its good to hear that OM will get their money back through the legal system, instead of having the merchandise returned.

Also, to the poster a few posts up, how would you feel if the tables were turned and say a friend was stealing your stuff and selling it extremely cheap? That would suck!

Slightly different values, but I am sure you get the point.

Mooky just got added to my ever-expanding ignore list. Good for him!

Shrike is like Chuck Norris, except without the roundhouse kicks to the face.

I've never traded or bought through a CAGer but it's good to know you're on the ball if I ever decided to.
It's been said many times, but that's good work shrike4242!

[quote name='shrike4242']No one's provided me any personal information, and I've not asked for any. I'm only asking for people with stuff outstanding to make sure their money gets back to them when I keep following up on this. No one's who's bought items has sent me any information, and in any case, I could always go through all of his thread and PM all the users who said they were trying to work something out with him.

Before everyone assumes they're about to be dicked on their items, I did consult with someone more versed in the legal aspects of this than me.

For everyone's reading:[/QUOTE]

Thanks I wasn't trying to spread FUD, but these things can sometimes go in unexpected directions.

[quote name='stoned99']Thanks I wasn't trying to spread FUD, but these things can sometimes go in unexpected directions.[/QUOTE]
I know, I'm just trying to make sure everyone knows what's going on and why I'm trying to collect information.

I thought I'd add to this thread once more just because I wanted people to realize that while the legal direction that was given in regards to whether you all are "safe" in your purchases or not would be generally true under many conditions, this may not be the case depending on how the company or the prosecuting attorney wants to procede. Basically, a motivated attorney could successfully argue that the significance of the discount on the merchandise and the number of items involved were enough for a reasonable person to suspect that there was some illegal activity involved.

Regardless of whether YOU actually believed that there was illegal activity involved or not, if the attorney makes a convincing argument, guess who loses? Guess who has bigger pockets when it comes to legal fees needed to wage that argument, a DA that gets paid by the hour regardless of the case, a corporate attorney with the same circumstance, or you.... It just so happens that I'm taking a course on business law in order to complete a business degree (night classes suck!), and my instructor is a district judge. We actually discussed this issue in a "hypothetical" scenerio in class just yesterday evening. While every judge may interpret the laws a bit differently at times, given the basic facts of this case, if it were to actually move forward in that direction, you'd lose your merchandise and money IF that were to be the desire of the prosecution. In this case, there is actually enough legal prescidence that says "you lose".

Realistically, it's probably not worth it for a large retailer like this to actually come after individuals, BUT if this is becoming a huge issue for the retailer, they may decide to bite the bullet and push this one hard in order to curtail future schemes such as this.

Personally, I'd keep quiet and refuse to discuss anything about purchases until forced to. Those who are trying to get money back, well they don't have much to come after you with as a corporation, but there may still be some criminal issues invovled that could be raised if the DA so desired.

Anyhow, good luck guys/gals!

[quote name='lumpkin666']I thought I'd add to this thread once more just because I wanted people to realize that while the legal direction that was given in regards to whether you all are "safe" in your purchases or not would be generally true under many conditions, this may not be the case depending on how the company or the prosecuting attorney wants to procede. Basically, a motivated attorney could successfully argue that the significance of the discount on the merchandise and the number of items involved were enough for a reasonable person to suspect that there was some illegal activity involved.

Regardless of whether YOU actually believed that there was illegal activity involved or not, if the attorney makes a convincing argument, guess who loses? Guess who has bigger pockets when it comes to legal fees needed to wage that argument, a DA that gets paid by the hour regardless of the case, a corporate attorney with the same circumstance, or you.... It just so happens that I'm taking a course on business law in order to complete a business degree (night classes suck!), and my instructor is a district judge. We actually discussed this issue in a "hypothetical" scenerio in class just yesterday evening. While every judge may interpret the laws a bit differently at times, given the basic facts of this case, if it were to actually move forward in that direction, you'd lose your merchandise and money IF that were to be the desire of the prosecution. In this case, there is actually enough legal prescidence that says "you lose".

Realistically, it's probably not worth it for a large retailer like this to actually come after individuals, BUT if this is becoming a huge issue for the retailer, they may decide to bite the bullet and push this one hard in order to curtail future schemes such as this.

Personally, I'd keep quiet and refuse to discuss anything about purchases until forced to. Those who are trying to get money back, well they don't have much to come after you with as a corporation, but there may still be some criminal issues invovled that could be raised if the DA so desired.

Anyhow, good luck guys/gals![/QUOTE]
Thanks for the additional information.

As it stands right now, they've not asked me for any information, and the only things I've volunteered is TMAC's name, this site, my phone #, my CAG ID, and how to get here and find his threads. Nothing more, and I'm not offering anything else unless asked.

Did anyone think to look in the local paper where this jackass lived and see if there was any reports about it?

Any info on how much $ worth of goods he stole from the store?

Hope everyone gets their money back, I would have grabbed one of those 300gig HDs if i'd seen the thread and prolly got ripped off with my luck.

[quote name='FranchiseGarnett']The thing is, Genocidal and Raw is Jericho, because they filed disputes, their money is not accessable in the Paypal account, is basically gone, because of the dispute, here, bottom line because the dispute was filed, we have absoulutely no access to either of their money[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FranchiseGarnett']The attempt is that he has to raise the money to pay you back, he doesn't have the money anymore, so he has to get it to pay you back, so he's going 1 at a time.[/quote]

So which is it? Is the money stuck in Paypal limbo or is it already spent? I'm guessing the latter since RawisJericho got his money back, but confirmation would be good to have.

Has anyone else heard anything about the situation?

bread's done
Back