Too late to get a PS3?

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (84%)
I saw a thread about someone considering jumping into the 360 camp a little late in the game. For the past few months, I've been considering purchasing a PS3 but every time I go to do it, I back down. I'm a HUGE 360 gamer with a gigantic collection and a pretty varied taste in games. The only kind I don't play are sports games. Would it be worthwhile for me to spring on a PS3, especially with Black Friday coming up? What PS3 exclusives make owning the system worthwhile?

Thanks guys.

Dude pretty much every ps3 exclusive this year has totally kicked ass. Infamous 2 , Resistance 3, Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apolcolypse, and Uncharted 3 all came out this year. It's worth buying a ps3 just for those games alone and you thats not even counting the previous 5 years or so.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Uncharted series and I'm insanely stoked that another Twisted Metal game is coming out. I used to play that all the time when I still had a PS2. That game alone almost made my decision last time.

How is the PSN online store? Do they have older releases on there available for download?

The only exclusive that is worth playing is Heavy Rain, and thats only a few hours long. Infamous and LittleBigPlanet really are over hyped and average at best. Uncharted and God of Wars series are good but nothing to buy a PS3 for. So if you have a PS3 there is no reason to get an XBox and vice versa.

Im not some Xbox fanboy either, I dont think any console has any must have exclusives. They just dont exist.

If I were you I would wait a year or so and then pick up a PS3 dirt cheap if you must have it. Or find a friend who has it and try out some of the exclusives that way and see how they really arent that special.

In my opinion, yes; the exclusives do make owning a PS3 worthwhile.
Resistance, Modnation Racers, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank, Killzone, Uncharted, inFAMOUS... all great franchises that deserve to be played.
It really comes down to how bad you want it and if you're willing to spend the money on it though. If the list of good exclusives make it worth it to you, then go for it.

Also, PS store is pretty good. They have a bunch of great PS1 games, and they're starting to build a decent selection of PS2 titles as well.
Check this thread for a list of games available in the store:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180647

[quote name='musha666']The only exclusive that is worth playing is Heavy Rain, and thats only a few hours long. Infamous and LittleBigPlanet really are over hyped and average at best. Uncharted and God of Wars series are good but nothing to buy a PS3 for. So if you have a PS3 there is no reason to get an XBox and vice versa.

Im not some Xbox fanboy either, I dont think any console has any must have exclusives. They just dont exist.

If I were you I would wait a year or so and then pick up a PS3 dirt cheap if you must have it. Or find a friend who has it and try out some of the exclusives that way and see how they really arent that special.[/QUOTE]
I would hardly call Heavy Rain a must play but it is a damn good game as well that I forgot to mention. Sure he could wait a year in which the ps3 will maybe drop $50 off msrp but honestly that is like $1 a week which isn't really worth waiting. Sure you are right there are hardly any must play exclusives on any system. But, then again what games are a must a play? If you have a friend who has a ps3 you can borrow I would suggest that. Most of the games I play on my ps3 are single player only or I don't care about the multiplayer. Games like Uncharted, Killzone, and Resistance all have great single player campaigns I suggest anyone play. But, on multiplayer you are better off with Battlefield, Halo, or Cod imo. Borrowing a ps3 is a great idea if you are strapped on cash imo. But I still think it's worth owning.

[quote name='thecoryjihad']I'm a HUGE 360 gamer with a gigantic collection and a pretty varied taste in games. [/QUOTE]

Based on this statement alone, I'm going to say no. People who tend to heavily favor one system without any significant exposure to another will generally continue favoring their first system. You're basically used to how things work on the 360.

I had more of a falling out with MS and their garbage hardware quality more than anything, which is why I got a PS3 and moved my collection to it (as more and more 360 games were ported to the PS3). But while I think the PS3's exclusive software line-up is magnificent, the PS3 itself has many issues (Sony's constant fuck ups, slow as shit firmware and software updates, exclusive or timed DLC/exclusive content). But advance to the online store itself is you can use real money, and not MS' bullshit points system which basically keeps you tied to the system with useless leftover points.

[quote name='Vinny']Based on this statement alone, I'm going to say no. People who tend to heavily favor one system without any significant exposure to another will generally continue favoring their first system. You're basically used to how things work on the 360.

I had more of a falling out with MS and their garbage hardware quality more than anything, which is why I got a PS3 and moved my collection to it (as more and more 360 games were ported to the PS3). But while I think the PS3's exclusive software line-up is magnificent, the PS3 itself has many issues (Sony's constant fuck ups, slow as shit firmware and software updates, exclusive or timed DLC/exclusive content). But advance to the online store itself is you can use real money, and not MS' bullshit points system which basically keeps you tied to the system with useless leftover points.[/QUOTE]
true but all my complaints about psn firmware updates pretty much went out the window with playstation plus. on top of all the free games the firmware and patches get downloaded at an hour i set it too

I say yes if you don't have a blu-ray player or like rpgs/niche type games; stuff like Demon's Souls, Ico/Sotc Collection, Valkyria Chronicles, Atelier series, etc. Some of the main exclusive franchises are a bit overrated like God of War so I wouldn't get one for that, but Uncharted is definitely worth it if you're interested in it.

[quote name='Vinny']Based on this statement alone, I'm going to say no. People who tend to heavily favor one system without any significant exposure to another will generally continue favoring their first system. You're basically used to how things work on the 360. [/QUOTE]
This isn't always true. I had my 360 2 years before I got a PS3, but since then I've hardly played the 360 at all.
Also, Playstation Plus is great if you buy a lot of games. They usually have at least one great deal each week, and typically have a few good games each month that you can download for free. Not to mention the 60 minute full game trials that they have, those are great for testing out games that you might be on the fence about buying.

The exclusives on the PS3 are good, but I'd also recommend getting one based on the blu-ray player and the controller too. As far as fighting games, the PS3 is the way to go (unless you are into buying joysticks). The Playstation Network is free (sort of...unless you want the pay version to get discounts) and I spend much more time on it browsing demos, etc. than on Xbox Live which I continue to pay for. That being said, I just bought Skyrim and MW3 on the Xbox because I feel they will be better on it versus the PS3...

if you watch a few gameplay videos or read the reviews of some PS3 exclusives then that should work for you, i can't really tell you what ur going to enjoy since i played Uncharted and i felt that people overhyped it too the point i couldnt really enjoy it but i do enjoy some ps3 exclusives like valkyria chronicles, heavy rain, heavenly sword, ico/ shadow of the collossus, and metal gear solid 4. Infamous is fun too but after playing Batman AC i feel a little too spoiled to go back to Infamous, and Killzone 3 is a topnotch FPS but in the end it is still a FPS, definitely worth it if you want to play a few exclusive and who knows, you might end up buying more games for the PS3

Honestly, most of the 'system exclusives' are way overhyped.

inFamous/inFamous 2-get "super powers" and take out enemies(or npc's if you choose to be a bad guy), rinse and repeat till the game's done
Resistance series-zomg aliens, shoot em, rinse, repeat, done
Killzone series-another FPS, whoopee:roll:
Little Big Planet series-they're ok but far too many user created levels that lack true originality and/or 'hurrr hurrr da 360 is a pos RROD' levels

But if anything OP, I would just ask myself this one question:

Are there enough games that I can't or haven't already played elsewhere that would make a system purchase worthwhile? If you can honestly answer NO to that question without thinking about it too much, then there's the answer to your question you asked in the OP.

[quote name='Kaelestis']I say yes if you don't have a blu-ray...[/QUOTE]
Are people really still recommending somebody buy a PS3 simply because it's a bluray player? I mean, it worked to Sony's advantage 4-5 years ago when it was the cheapest player you could get, but now?

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Are people really still recommending somebody buy a PS3 simply because it's a bluray player? I mean, it worked to Sony's advantage 4-5 years ago when it was the cheapest player you could get, but now?[/QUOTE]

It is still one of the best wifi enabled 3D blu-ray players on the market. Right now you can get one for $250 plus a $50 GC or Gaming coupon.

At roughly $200 after incentives it is still a solid purchase as a media player.

Edit: And much better to use as one IMO as the bluetooth function makes it much easier to control

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow....thanks for all of the advice guys. I think I'll have to go to my friend's house and play his PS3 for a while before I make my decision.

Vinny had the best point in stating that I'll more than likely keep playing the 360 because I've been accustomed to it for the last few years. Although that'll really make my Collector's Edition collection grow like crazy as I'll have another console to buy for.

Oh well....it's only money, right?

Unlike 360, I feel as though PS3 is just getting started. Developers are really starting to capitalize on the hardware and it shows, especially in Uncharted 3. Twisted Metal will finally be making a debut next year and I feel as though the first party franchises left untapped is deep enough to support it well until next gen. The variety is there and the quality equal, so you really can't go wrong with their extensive library. A lot of sequels are overhyped, but people forget that some original IPs got their start on PS3 so for you it will be fresh and new.

That alone is well worth the price of admission.

It's a great media player, has some good original games, and you can get one plus two games for $200 on black friday. i'd say do it. Sony's exclusives are some of my favorite games of this generation.

bread's done
Back