Top 5 Favorite FPS's

bardiya27

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
We decided to do a follow-up video to our top 10 favorite video game themes since that school project got more views than expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aiwiU0IEsw&feature=channel_page

Again we are not saying this is a definite list, just our favorites (we are expecting some haterade for omitting Halo), as you can see my friend is more of a PC gamer than me anyways here's the list if you don't want to sit through the vid:

My top 5:
5. Bioshock (Xbox 360)
4. Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360)
2. Half Life 2, The Orange Box - (Xbox 360)
1. Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64)

Alex's Top 5:
5. Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)
4. Doom 2 (PC)
3. Call of Duty (PC)
2. Half Life 2, The Orange Box (Xbox 360)
1. Starsiege Tribes (PC)

I really would put Metroid Prime in there, but I consider it more of a adventure game than a shooter. Still confused about where that game falls.

1. Halo
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 3
4. Halo 3 ODST
5. Haze

Just kidding. Here' s my current list.

1. FEAR
2. UT2K4
3. Quake 3
4. Doom II
5. Crysis Warhead

5. Halo
4. Day of Defeat
3. Battle Field 2
2. Team Fortress 2
1. Starsiege Tribes. No doubt. No comparison. Greatest FPS I've ever played. Still play it, too.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']1. Halo
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 3
4. Halo 3 ODST
5. Haze

Just kidding. Here' s my current list.

1. FEAR
2. UT2K4
3. Quake 3
4. Doom II
5. Crysis Warhead
[/quote]

LMAO @ Halo ODST

I'm not a real hardcore FPS fan, so I have yet to play Crysis but I've heard really good things about it.

[quote name='Chambered']5. Halo
4. Day of Defeat
3. Battle Field 2
2. Team Fortress 2
1. Starsiege Tribes. No doubt. No comparison. Greatest FPS I've ever played. Still play it, too.[/quote]

That's my friends favorite game, haha, he pretty much says the same exact thing in the top 10 video.

I think it's a definite cult classic.

In no particular order:

Bioshock
Duke Nukem 3D
Quakeworld (Original TF)
Goldeneye

Either Far Cry 2 or Doom/Wolf3D to round out the list. I'm not big on FPS but there are definitely some that have a special place for me.

I'm not the biggest FPS fan, but these.

Bioshock (amazing art and experience)

Halo (The campaign was awesome for the time)

Portal (If it counts, though I would personally call it an FPP aka first person puzzler. Best gameplay of an FP game I've ever played hands down)

Half Life 2 (I hate this game so much, it feels sooo poorly made at times, but then there are moments of brilliance) (Ok...defintely not in my top 100 games of all time, but I need to fill up my list, even if it technically is an FPA)

Halo 2 ( for online)

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF not 1 mention of counterstrike by anyone?

1. Counterstrike
2. Battlefield 2
3. Random tom clancy game
4. Quake II
5. Duke Nuken 3D

Perfect Dark (though I'll admit, the controls fail at the test of time, but all the options for multiplayer and things like counter-op are still awesome and can still be fun with friends)
Half-Life (and the expansions)
Half-Life 2 (and all or what's been done of the episodes)
Left4Dead
Bioshock

Kind of tough for me to decide, but I'll say:

1. Resistance 2 (Yes, I just really love the game and the most time I ever put into an FPS)
2. Halo
3. Call of Duty 4
4. BioShock
5. Halo 3

Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox version) comes very close to making the list too. Killzone 2 will probably be #1 when it comes out.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] Killzone 2 will probably be #1 when it comes out.[/quote]

Really, really, really? Were you even in the beta?

Also:
1) Halo Series
2) Half-Life 2 and subsequent episodes
3) Call of Duty 2, 4, and WaW
4) Bioshock
5) Resistance

1.Half Life 2
2.Bioshock
3.Goldeneye
4.Left 4 dead
5.Teamfortress 2

Just to put it out there, I have already subscribed to your videos. Keep em coming.

1. Counter-Strike
2. Half-Life 2
3. Call of Duty 4
4. Goldeneye
5. Unreal Tournament

Halo 3, Bioshock, Wolfenstein 3D all were close, but didn't quite make it.

Im not a FPS fan at all so my number 1 is Condemned. It's the only one I could make it through on the 360 so far. Probably because it was less a FPS than most. I really did enjoy that game though.

In no apparent order.

Bioshock
Half Life
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Duke Nukem 3D
Team Fortress 2 (considering the fact the game is online only, hopefully it'll still count)

What do you guys think about the whole argument we had over Duck Hunt and arcade games like The Lost World and Time Crisis?

A main reason I even mentioned those games is because of the nostalgia factor, I really think I would still play Duck Hunt if I had a working NES with a Zapper everynow and then. It's a perfect pick up and play game.

Same thing with those arcade games like The Lost World and Time Crisis 2, anytime I go to Golfland or the movie theaters I pour quarters into those light gun shooting games.

I know those games are really classified as "light gun games" but I think they fall in the FPS family.

[quote name='bardiya27']
I know those games are really classified as "light gun games" but I think they fall in the FPS family.[/quote]

I don't think that there is any kind of official game genre rules. It's your list, so whatever you want.

[quote name='BigD63']I don't think that there is any kind of official game genre rules. It's your list, so whatever you want.[/quote]

Yea I know, I'm just wondering what would most people call them. It's still a game played in the first person... and it's a shooter.

Speaking of Arcade shooters, I'm surprised a game like Police 911 hasn't gotten a Wii port with the balance board or anything.

1. Halo 2
It certainly isn't the best game ever, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a great game, but I sunk so many fucking hours into it back in the day it has to be my number one.

2. Half Life 2
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Call of Duty 4 (and it's reskinning, WaW)
5. Halo: CE

[quote name='DarthPuma']1. Halo 2
It certainly isn't the best game ever, I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a great game, but I sunk so many fucking hours into it back in the day it has to be my number one.

2. Half Life 2
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Call of Duty 4 (and it's reskinning, WaW)
5. Halo: CE[/quote]

I completely agree with your reason for Halo 2, I know from a story point of view Perfect Dark is not any better than Half Life or Call of Duty 4 but I just sank so many hours and days into that game that it does not even matter.

I'm not going to list anything right now, but I HOPE that Killzone 2 will be worthy of being in the top 5 of my list.

well here;s a priliminary list -

1. Goldeneye (N64)
2. Call of Duty 4 Moden Warfare
3. Halo 2
4. Resistance 2
5. Killzone 2 (maybe)

Hmm. Tough one.

1. Team Fortress 2
2. Duke Nukem 3d
3. Quake
4. Blood
5. Goldeneye

1. Halo: Combat Evolved
2. Halo 2
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
4. Team Fortress 2
5. Battlefield: Bad Company

While you wouldn't of guessed it (based on that list), I have been gaming since the SNES with Mario.

In no particular order...
-Halo Series
-Half-Life Series (primarily counter-strike)
-UT
-Goldeneye
-Call of Duty 4

Now this is my kind of survey. ;) I assume this covers all games that play in a first-person shooter perspective.

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. Fallout 3
3. Call of Duty 2
4. FEAR
5. Battlefield: Bad Company

In a Top 10 scenario, Half-Life 2, GRAW 2, Condemned 2, and Left 4 Dead would be in there.

[quote name='odintal']1.System Shock 2
2.Duke Nukem 3d
3.Half Life 2
4.Rise of the Triad
5.Team Fortress 2[/quote]

System Shock is one of those game I have yet to play but know willprobably sneak in my Top 5 once I do. I've heard lots of good things about it.

[quote name='bardiya27']System Shock is one of those game I have yet to play but know willprobably sneak in my Top 5 once I do. I've heard lots of good things about it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah System Shock is great. One of the scariest games I've ever played. Anyways my list:

1. Half-Life 2 and episodes
2. Deus Ex
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Battlefield 2
5. Counter-strike (first FPS I really got into so I sort of have to put it in here)

I also really like the lack of Halo 2/3 here. Everyone at my college seems to think they are the two best games of all time, but I've always thought they played like shit. Then again, so do almost all console shooters. I did always like the first one and I would probably put it in sixth or seventh place in my list.

Just for the sake of discussion, to those who listed GoldenEye 64, have you recently revisited it? If so, do you really think it holds up against more modern titles?

[quote name='bardiya27']System Shock is one of those game I have yet to play but know willprobably sneak in my Top 5 once I do. I've heard lots of good things about it.[/quote]

if you like bioshock, you'll love system shock 2.

it's like bioshock with the graphics turned to 5 and everything else turned past 11 and up to God.

1. Bioshock
2. Jet Force Gemini (N64)
3. Resistance (haven't played Resistance 2 yet)
4. CoD 2
5. Gears of War (Haven't played Gears 2 yet)

With the exception of JFG which is just fucking awesome i really look for story in my fps's. Bioshock is obvious, but i understand a lot of people are thinking wtf when i mention story and GoW (maybe even Resistance). Theres just something about those similar plotlines that i enjoy.

[quote name='Chase']Just for the sake of discussion, to those who listed GoldenEye 64, have you recently revisited it? If so, do you really think it holds up against more modern titles?[/quote]
No.

It's laggy and hideous compared to games of now (I count Perfect Dark in this as well), but can't deny that when the time it came out nothing compared to it. Though it can still be fun if you get abunch of friends who also have fond memories of it and go back to revisit it and re-learn the ways of the c-button and analog stick for movement and looking around...

[quote name='bardockkun']No.

It's laggy and hideous compared to games of now (I count Perfect Dark in this as well), but can't deny that when the time it came out nothing compared to it. Though it can still be fun if you get abunch of friends who also have fond memories of it and go back to revisit it and re-learn the ways of the c-button and analog stick for movement and looking around...[/quote]

Hmm I think the games has aged better than most first person shooters. For example, I often see myself running through Goldeneye and Perfect Dark's single player campaign, just because the complete package is very satisfactory, from the music to the story and the gameplay. I'll admit that nostalgia has a lot to do with it, especially in multiplayer where you run through maps that you are familiar with (Facility) or guns you are familiar with (Laptop gun!).

Ultimately I just looked at what games I spent the most time on and had the most fun with.

bread's done
Back