Torchlight 2

I have to say I am just now sinking my teeth into this game and man do I love it! It just feels right in so many ways. I don't know if it's an overall better game than D3 but I think I am enjoying it more.

Ok, I was off a bit. I'm lvl 25 and Dusk was 2 levels over me. Looks like you have some catching up to do Ice

Ok Ice, nevermind. I've got a character at level 5, almost 6 and Dusk has a level 11. So I'll just get mine leveled up to you guys. Shouldnt take very long, gettting to 5 only took like an hour. We're gonna be on tonight.

I'm looking to get in on a 4 pack - anyone here who hasn't bought it yet? I could be the purchaser, but I'd need paypal within a couple days if not sooner.

I'm playing this quite a bit. Just hit like level 48 or so on my Cannoneer. My problem is that I've got too many people I play with. So I've got my Embermage I play with one friend at his level, and my Outlander I save for another person. So far I like all 3 classes I've tried. Not that interested in Berserker though, melee classes never interest me.

Ok, so the crashes on this game are really getting irritating. It'll run fine all day, single player or multiplayer. However, if I'm in town with another player I get random crashes. I'll enchant some nice stats onto an item, or a vendor will have a set piece I need and BOOM, I'm on the desktop. It's random when the crash will come. Sometimes I'll be in town for 10 minutes and be fine. Other times it'll crash 30 seconds into town. It seems to be effecting me mostly, although there for awhile it was happening to the guest everytime, leaving the host fine. Now mine always is the one that crashes. The only thing I can do right now is constantly save while in town.

I've seen a handful of people with similar problems, but nothing exactly like this. Ruinic, however, is pretty much ignoring all the threads about it. So I guess I'm just stuck.

I'm level 18 or something now I think and I play regularly if anyones interested.

Steam: ctr904

My Runic username is Hustletron, not sure if that's used anywhere else.

I'm working on getting gear for my Embermage. I'm trying to get my charge rate crazy high. Right now I can just start firing Prismatic Bolts and I'll fill the charge gauge before my mana drops below like 30%. While charge is active, I can keep firing Bolts and my mana will recharge to about 80% or so. With a little more charge rate and mana regen, I can fire Bolts forever.

Beat the game on Normal last night with my Cannoneer. I think I ended with him like lvl 55 or so. Now on to the random dungeons!

Game is on sale for $4.99 for the next 7 hours for those interested. $3.75 if you participate in a 4-pack :)

So...as a newcomer to this series, any tips?

Either plan your build before you even start, or mod in some respec potions.  Once you get to higher levels it sucks if you've put a bunch of points into a skill you dont like or stops being useful.  Also, dont get too attached to items.  This game loves to give you new loot, and theres almost always something better than what you are using.

This game took longer than I thought it would to hit $5 heh.  Picked it up last night by sheer luck remembering to check the daily steam sale.  So they seriously don't have a respec system?  It's 2013, did they not make enough money on this to patch it in?  Guess I'll install a mod, but I'm surprised such a thing wasn't a no-brainer.

This game took longer than I thought it would to hit $5 heh. Picked it up last night by sheer luck remembering to check the daily steam sale. So they seriously don't have a respec system? It's 2013, did they not make enough money on this to patch it in? Guess I'll install a mod, but I'm surprised such a thing wasn't a no-brainer.
They do have a respec system but you can only respec the last three skills you chose.

I think I'm going to start playing tonight. I saw a mod for something related to "respec", I'm assuming this enables me to redistribute skill points? Is this at any time, or?

i brought game this morning on sale for like £3.75 haven't installed yet because I have a mac, but I ordered an alienware which should be here in a few days.

Looking forward to playing it online, never finished the first one only played about 2-3 hours of it.

I think I'm going to start playing tonight. I saw a mod for something related to "respec", I'm assuming this enables me to redistribute skill points? Is this at any time, or?
No you're not. Don't lie.

And it is just a potion to respec. I believe it makes it available to buy from a vendor. It's a mod made by the devs.

EDIT: Typos

Last edited by a moderator:
And it is just a potion to respect. I believe it makes it available to buy from a vendor. It's a mod made by the devs.
BWAH? Why not just patch it into the damn game FFS instead of forcing you to DL a mod?

I mean, I'm glad they made it but that's so half-ass lol.

I have a couple characters and would be down for  CAG TL2 night or something. Add chantme on steam if you want.

I'll play soft or hardcore.

I'm a couple hours into the game now and enjoying it so far. The lack of actual, proper story/lore is disappointing, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought this. I've missed this type of gameplay so it's definitely fun. But I still hold out hope that Diablo 3 goes on sale sometime in the near future.

For the $3.75 that I paid on Steam, there's no way I can complain :)

So, with that out of the way, are there any MOD recommendations? I have 4 installed so far; Respec Potion v1.3, Unusable Items Are Red, Safe Dialogs, and Fast Resume & Quit.

When you play can you switch between online and single player on this?
With the same character? Hope not. Game can already be modded and label you a cheater if you hex edit characters to godly stats, but if you were able to import your character from offline there would be no cheat detection.

So I'm playing an Embermage and I think I've decided to stick with the Storm Skill Tree. My question is: should I hold onto skill points and continue to focus on this one skill tree, or should I branch our to the other two?

Hold onto points if your not using respec potions, dont if you are.

Also, yeah, online and offline characters are the same.

Finally started this game last night and got to level 15 on elite as outlander.  So far really not that challenging since it plays just like a demon hunter with slow traps and glaives for high, glass cannon dps.  Only real complaints so far are NPC placement are often too close to enemy spawns and I'll be kiting something only to click on them and open the dialogue menu.  Yes, I know I can hold down CTRL to stop this, but how about proper design where you can't accidentally do this while in combat, hmmm?  I'm not going to run around the entire game holding CTRL for the off chance I click on an NPC; that's retarded.  The other is elite can be cheap with beginner's traps by spawning enemies to mob you with no way out.  For example, opening a chest in a narrow hallway and suddenly enemies surround you instantly with no way to escape.  You take your death, run back, and slaughter them.  Was it really necessary to put stupid shit like that in?

Other than that, the game is fun and has that dungeon crawl addiction but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) I still feel D3 was a better game in terms of engagement.  Even though D3 was balanced around AH gear, there was a clear sense of progression and feeling of accomplishment once it all started to come together.  Beating Inferno Diablo solo was hugely rewarding after working towards it for weeks.  After just five hours or so of TL2, I already feel OP and that with enough kiting I can kill anything.  Not saying it's a bad game at all, but I respect D3 a little more for creating enough challenge that I would need to respec/swap gear or change up my approach on a boss to beat it.

I might after I beat the game or level cap for a challenge, but truthfully I'm not sure the game will hold my interest that long.  I started on elite for a challenge and just realized that bosses don't even heal to full after you die.  Up to this point at level 25, I hadn't died to one yet.  It was the boss that spawns those reaver bots or w/e that can swarm you and burst so hard you get one-shot.  So actually, the boss didn't even kill me; it was the adds.  Figured out that if I didn't move from the teleport pad, they would never engage me so I sat in my stone pact aura and tanked the boss to death. . .

They so clearly copy a lot from Blizzard but fail on the simple balance mechanics it's really weird.

Finished this tonight after about 20 hours and level 56.  Might check out the mapworks for loot, but more likely I'll help some friends finish their playthrough and hit up NG+.  Still disappointed the game is lacking in challenge but at least it earned $5 worth.  Definitely glad I didn't pay full price because it's not worth it.

So after starting NG+, I was about at the end of my rope with this game when I discovered the 'secret cow level' of sorts.  Really glad I persisted in pushing for level 100 because Tarroch's Tomb is a game changer.  High chance of unique loot and legendaries (already found two so far) plus each wave can be challenging if you fall behind on clearing.  What surprised me most was I found the place at level ~60 and the enemies were level 109 but I didn't notice until after I had been killing them for a while lol.  Since then, I've been farming it by making a casual net game and just running it until wave 6 then scooping up the loot.  Already got a few things just waiting to try on at level 100 and my goal is to be able to clear elite once I've got the gear finished out.

Now THIS is the D2 game I've missed.  I can see myself playing this a lot more now that I know about the tomb.

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong and I have to say I misjudged this game purely on the fact I've forgotten fun doesn't always need to be about challenge.  This game, is in more ways than one, more Diablo II than Diablo II.  It made me realize that finding awesome loot yourself is what these games are all about and balancing challenge as an afterthought and not around the gear is why this game rocks.  I've since gone on to put almost 200 hours of enjoyment into this and that's just on two characters.  I still have embermage and zerker to explore but I might be burning out a bit heh.

At any rate, I just finished off my engineer and might take a break for a bit.  Made a video of clearing Tarroch's Tomb on NG+ elite with the challenge to myself of not using forcefield if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiF71Qh8Mdk

So...I kinda lost interest in this game. While I enjoy mindless dungeon crawling, the lack of a decent story is disappointing. For the price I can't really complain, but this is pretty much the exact reason I'm hoping Diablo 3 drops in price soon/goes on sale. I grew up with that series and really like the lore.

Just watch the cinematics on youtube; don't buy D3.  That game was designed to support an economy, so you'll never find cool loot for yourself.  I was shocked how often I get uniques and legendaries in this game because I was so used to finding absolute shit in D3.  It felt like I was cheating somehow, but then I realized how much D3 had fooled me.  TL2 is the superior game, so if you're getting bored with it you'll probably hate D3.  D3 has also been nerfed to hell since release so by now it's neither challenging or fun.

There's a reason why that game only had a ~20% retention rate of players.

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong and I have to say I misjudged this game purely on the fact I've forgotten fun doesn't always need to be about challenge. This game, is in more ways than one, more Diablo II than Diablo II. It made me realize that finding awesome loot yourself is what these games are all about and balancing challenge as an afterthought and not around the gear is why this game rocks. I've since gone on to put almost 200 hours of enjoyment into this and that's just on two characters. I still have embermage and zerker to explore but I might be burning out a bit heh.

At any rate, I just finished off my engineer and might take a break for a bit. Made a video of clearing Tarroch's Tomb on NG+ elite with the challenge to myself of not using forcefield if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiF71Qh8Mdk
Good God man, that was insane. I didn't go the Emberquake route on my Engi, but more of a 2-handed Flame Hammer/Forcefield build. Looks like I made the wrong choice, EQ looks powerful as hell.

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong and I have to say I misjudged this game purely on the fact I've forgotten fun doesn't always need to be about challenge. This game, is in more ways than one, more Diablo II than Diablo II. It made me realize that finding awesome loot yourself is what these games are all about and balancing challenge as an afterthought and not around the gear is why this game rocks. I've since gone on to put almost 200 hours of enjoyment into this and that's just on two characters. I still have embermage and zerker to explore but I might be burning out a bit heh.

At any rate, I just finished off my engineer and might take a break for a bit. Made a video of clearing Tarroch's Tomb on NG+ elite with the challenge to myself of not using forcefield if anyone wants to check it out.
I bought Torchlight 2 during the Summer sale but never played it, but in light of your impressions it sounds like I definitely need to get on it. I'll start it this weekend.

Good God man, that was insane. I didn't go the Emberquake route on my Engi, but more of a 2-handed Flame Hammer/Forcefield build. Looks like I made the wrong choice, EQ looks powerful as hell.
Hehe, glad you guys liked the vid. The main reason EQ is so powerful is that the fissures can proc almost everything, including: supercharge (in melee range), coup de grace, and weapon procs (in the vid you can see lightning and thunder going off like crazy and raping the bosses).

I'm rezzing this thread. Finally got TL2 after the steam winter sale. It's funny that the last posts were engi builds because that's where I've put most of my time. And I only just found Tarroch's Tomb with my lvl 93 dual-wield engineer, I got all the way to the end but couldn't take the lvl 199 dude. Of course, I get that far spamming forcefield (jodou you stud).

I'll be putting more levels into the engi next chance I get. I've also got a roughly lvl 25 twink mage that I've reserved for co-op with a friend.  The game satisfies in so many ways. It's a bargain.

My only complaint is to echo my complaint from TL1: more than half the stats and armor/gear bonuses in this game appear to be complete bullshit. And IMO it's a little crazy how armor doesn't scale at all with damage as you progress through levels. (Not to mention, does elemental armor even matter?) But that takes a backseat to the bonuses/stats that barely register, if at all. Still a minor complaint relative to everything else.

bread's done
Back