Torchlight II announced by Runic Games

Fjordson

CAGiversary!
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a specialized developer of PC-based entertainment software in the United States, surprised the game world today by announcing their next project, Torchlight II.

“We’re so proud of everything Torchlight accomplished, and we feel that Torchlight II will not only give the fans everything they’ve asked for, but far surpass its predecessor in terms of fun, balance, customization, story, and just being a great game to play with your friends.”

Torchlight II answers the overwhelming call of our community with
an expansive co-op multiplayer experience. With all new character classes, an expansive overworld, new quests, monsters, and lots of new dungeons, Torchlight II finally lets you play with your friends in the world of Torchlight. Consistent with our pledge to provide unmatched value, Torchlight II will be sold at a low price point, and include a free matchmaking service for peer-to-peer multiplayer experience. Expect Torchlight II to ship in the spring of 2011.

Runic Games’ CEO Max Schaefer commented, “We’re so proud of everything Torchlight accomplished, and we feel that Torchlight II will not only give the fans everything they’ve asked for, but far surpass its predecessor in terms of fun, balance, customization, story, and just being a great game to play with your friends.

“We still are going to make the MMO, but it became apparent that Torchlight II was the logical next step for us given the phenomenal enthusiasm of gamers petitioning us for multiplayer.”

Torchlight II debuts at gamescom 2010 in Cologne, Germany August 18-22 2010, and at PAX Prime in Seattle, WA, September 3-5 2010. Gaming enthusiasts will have the opportunity to explore the new features hands-on, and chat directly with the developers.

Torchlight II will launch in Spring 2011, initially as a digital download.

For more information on Torchlight II, gamers can visit the official website at
http://www.torchlight2game.com/ to view additional game play details, trailers and screenshots.
:applause:

Perfect. I loved Torchlight, and this sounds like everything it needed to add to approach perfection.

[quote name='Jodou']Soooo. . .Torchlight II: The Rest of the Game.[/QUOTE]
That seems uncalled for. Not more so than pretty much every other sequel.

Woot! Love me some Torchlight. Still don't think we'll be seeing Diablo 3 anytime soon, so this'll be perfect filler until then. And co-op is very, very welcome.

[quote name='Jodou']Soooo. . .Torchlight II: The Rest of the Game.[/QUOTE]

What's that? A smart-ass comment from Jodou? Move along folks, nothing new to see here.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That seems uncalled for. Not more so than pretty much every other sequel.[/QUOTE]
Just seems to me that they went from talking about working on a MP co-op/PvP patch for Torchlight to 'HEY GUYZ, IZ SEQUEL!' Granted, the game will be price like an expansion, but it just seems like they could've given Torchlight owners the courtesy of a MP patch. Why should I have to buy the same game again?

the one thing that kept me away from torchlight was the lack of multiplayer (ive heard nothing but good things about it) so this definitely is interesting.

What about the Torchlight MMO? I was actually interested in that. Regardless, I'll probably pick this up day one since it'll likely sell for $20, possibly $30 since they can bank off the success of the predecessor.

[quote name='Jodou']Just seems to me that they went from talking about working on a MP co-op/PvP patch for Torchlight to 'HEY GUYZ, IZ SEQUEL!' Granted, the game will be price like an expansion, but it just seems like they could've given Torchlight owners the courtesy of a MP patch. Why should I have to buy the same game again?[/QUOTE]

Have you bought Diablo II or more than one Madden game? That question can be honestly asked for most sequels.

What I'm wondering is, does this mean no Torchlight MMO or only a delay?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']What's that? A smart-ass comment from Jodou? Move along folks, nothing new to see here.[/QUOTE]

Don't give him too much credit. Just an ass comment from someone who has no idea how the video game business works.

[quote name='mogamer']Have you bought Diablo II or more than one Madden game? That question can be honestly asked for most sequels.

What I'm wondering is, does this mean no Torchlight MMO or only a delay?[/QUOTE]
If you read the press release quoted in the OP, you'll have your answer.

“We still are going to make the MMO, but it became apparent that Torchlight II was the logical next step for us given the phenomenal enthusiasm of gamers petitioning us for multiplayer.”

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']If you read the press release quoted in the OP, you'll have your answer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for quoting it. I'm at work and I can't get to their site.

[quote name='mogamer']Thanks for quoting it. I'm at work and I can't get to their site.[/QUOTE]
LMAO, this is why drugs are bad.

[quote name='Jodou']LMAO, this is why drugs are bad.[/QUOTE]

Drugs aren't bad. they just give me blurry vision! :bouncy:

I love Torchlight, but when I'm playing it I keep thinking "man I would love to play this with other people". So this is very good news.

So they essentially made Diablo III but cheaper...

Sold.

I love the first torchlight, except for the fact I started the game on too easy of a difficulty and now I am pretty much invincible, lol.

bread's done
Back