TOS: Dawn of the New World -- IGN: 6.7, GT: 7.9, NP: 8.0

This is incredible news! However, we need a U.S. release date ASAP. As more titles like this start to get announced hopefully the "Wii is a fad" crap will fade away (like the fad that it is).

Yeah, opinions on ToS were polarized all right - it polarized people into the sane and idiotic camps ;). Just kidding... Again, this is huge news as far as I'm concerned. I want to see more RPGs on the Wii! MORE, MORE!

Awesome, I enjoyed ToS but I never got around to completing it. It's been so long, I might as well restart it and try again. :lol:

ToS is my favorite RPG on last gen systems so I'm really excited to hear this. I really hope we get a US release date.

Sounds great to me :)

I enjoyed the first ToS for gamecube, although i dont remember it fully(happens alot to me).

If they bring this to the wii here it will be my first must have 3rd party game.

With Tales of Symphonia being the most successful Tales games in US, i would be shock if Namco didnt bring it over.

I beat Tales Of Symphonia over three times. (two of those times without any of the extras you buy with your gald that make the game easier and quicker) I can't wait for this game, its battle system is supposed to be more like abyss which I have but never actually played.

So is the battle system in Abyss close to ToS? Because ToS had one of the best battle systems for an RPG ever as far as I'm concerned, and I would hope the sequal would have a similar one.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']So is the battle system in Abyss close to ToS? Because ToS had one of the best battle systems for an RPG ever as far as I'm concerned, and I would hope the sequal would have a similar one.[/QUOTE]
the system in Abyss is an improvement over ToS

A little bit of new info:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/807/807048p1.html

Moving on to the Wii Tales of Symphonia Knights of Ratatoskr, the Spring 2008 (Japanese release) title is, as mentioned in our initial update, a direct sequel to the GameCube and PS2 Tales of Symphonia, painting a new story three years after the events of that game. While story details are scarce, Bandai Namco did announce that the game's main character would be named Emil, and the heroine Malta. Lloyd and other characters from the original will also appear in the game.

Bandai Namco is working on some updates to the title for the Wii. Visually, the company claims that the graphics have been improved, with higher texture resolution. This is true of new dungeons and towns, and those that you might have visited in the original.

Gameplay is also seeing a few updates. The game will feature Wii-mote direct controls, allowing players to move around by pointing at sections of the map. While not strictly Wii related, the game will also include the ability to capture and breed monsters for use as allies in battle.

They need to announce U.S. releases for both this and the DS Tales ASAP!

I'm kinda thrown off by the new characters... I was hoping some of the old ones would be playable since this is a direct sequel. Oh well, no biggie!

New very nice screens of various locales in the game (most recognizable from the first game). These look a hell of a lot fancier than the battle screens seen previously.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175634

Just a taste (bunch more in the link):
53328102420070730092616.jpg

[quote name='botticus']New very nice screens of various locales in the game (most recognizable from the first game). These look a hell of a lot fancier than the battle screens seen previously.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175634

Just a taste (bunch more in the link):
53328102420070730092616.jpg
[/quote]Saw those at GAF as well. Game looks VERY NICE.
Hopefully translates well with bigger pics.

[quote name='dallow']Saw those at GAF as well. Game looks VERY NICE.
Hopefully translates well with bigger pics.[/QUOTE]

It's funny because on some site where they posted scans of the original magazine arictle about it, the pictures looked pretty bad and everyone there was saying it looked atrocious (with obligatory knocks on the Wii's graphical power as expected from a bunch of Internet forum dopes). These look better though, so that's good. And I do have a fuzzy memory of that shot, Botticus. Looks right out of ToS.

Oh shit, isn't that the town you helped rebuild?

[quote name='62t']the system in Abyss is an improvement over ToS[/quote]

The man speaks the truth. Free-run is awesome.

[quote name='io']It's funny because on some site where they posted scans of the original magazine arictle about it, the pictures looked pretty bad and everyone there was saying it looked atrocious (with obligatory knocks on the Wii's graphical power as expected from a bunch of Internet forum dopes). These look better though, so that's good. And I do have a fuzzy memory of that shot, Botticus. Looks right out of ToS.[/quote]I did remember seeing the earlier pics, they didn't look as good as this.
It's an upgrade.

However, you're right, it's not THAT much better.

[quote name='dallow']I did remember seeing the earlier pics, they didn't look as good as this.
It's an upgrade.

However, you're right, it's not THAT much better.[/QUOTE]

Well, when I said it was right out of ToS I wasn't knocking the graphics - it is hard to tell from a single still shot like that. I just meant the location was from ToS, which is cool as I haven't played that game in ages and wouldn't mind revisiting the locales. EXStrike - I think that is the town you rebuilt, complete with the statue you get from donating to the town, right? Since this is set afterwards I wonder if they include all the statues that were "extras" in ToS.

[quote name='dallow']Haha, gotcha.

If you notice in that thread, someone posts pics of ToS.
Slight upgrade to already pretty game.[/QUOTE]

I'lll check it out. This is one of those games that I wouldn't mind being in the same graphical style one bit - just a new Tales game playable on a Nintendo system is fine with me (as long as story and combat are good, that is). However, as I remember, the overworld graphics were pretty poor, even for a 2004 GC title. Hopefully they make those a bit snazzier, if nothing else. But that seems to be a theme for Tales games (last I played was Legendia on the PS2 which had pretty poor overworld graphics as well).

This is all inspiring me to play Abyss as my next PS2 RPG, once I finish off the bonus missions in GrimGrimoire.

[quote name='io']I'lll check it out. This is one of those games that I wouldn't mind being in the same graphical style one bit - just a new Tales game playable on a Nintendo system is fine with me (as long as story and combat are good, that is). However, as I remember, the overworld graphics were pretty poor, even for a 2004 GC title. Hopefully they make those a bit snazzier, if nothing else. But that seems to be a theme for Tales games (last I played was Legendia on the PS2 which had pretty poor overworld graphics as well).

This is all inspiring me to play Abyss as my next PS2 RPG, once I finish off the bonus missions in GrimGrimoire.[/quote]Well, there's not really going to be an overworld. Well, there will be, but you don't walk around on it. It's a point and click overworld map. They are promising to add more dungeons/towns to make up for the lack of exploration there though.

This haven't been updated in a while... since this is an anticipated title for me
here's some news from qj.net as of Oct. 2:

After making an appearance back in June, we haven't really heard much about Namco Bandai's Tales of Symphonia: Knights of Ratatosk on the Nintendo Wii. We're quite thankful that someone grabbed the trailer shown at Tokyo Show 2007, because it's packed with action the Tales series is known for.

Two of the main characters revealed before, Emile Castagnie and Malta, are seen battling in good 'ol Tales fashion. Some of the skills they use should be familiar to series fans, and the art style will make any Tales follower feel right at home. It's a Tales game on the Wii what's not to be excited about?

Before you hit us with a Demon Fist to the face for talking too much, we'll just leave you with this video of Tales Symphonia: Knights of Ratatosk.

Included is a rough trailer from TGS 07:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j4hOu1aTaU

Looks better in motion than the first battle screenshots showed. Other than the point-and-click overworld, I think this could be a nice follow-up to Symphonia.

[quote name='botticus']Looks better in motion than the first battle screenshots showed. Other than the point-and-click overworld, I think this could be a nice follow-up to Symphonia.[/quote]

definately does! My anticipation keeps growing!
I'm curious how they integrated the wii controls to the game play.

That video looks great (was that the main character from the first game at the very end of the trailer?). I glad they've cleaned up the graphics, it was sad that the first screenshots looked worse then the Gamecube version.

It looks fantastic, thanks for the video.

I need to remind myself to start over in ToS and finally complete it, well in time before the sequel comes out.

[quote name='Kaijufan']That video looks great (was that the main character from the first game at the very end of the trailer?). I glad they've cleaned up the graphics, it was sad that the first screenshots looked worse then the Gamecube version.[/quote]Yes it was. It will be interesting to see how the old characters fit in.

The trailer looks great, and most hands-on impressions indicate an improvement in graphics over the original.

I hope they can localize it by the summer.

I know I'm in the minority in not liking this game's predecessor, but I really hope it's better than ToS. Fighting was fun, but I couldn't stand the characters and the dialogue. And how about some not-half-assed-multiplayer? Maybe actually make it fun for someone playing a spellcaster, seeing as how that's half of my entire party?

[quote name='Ravenous']Is it that hard to type out the full name in the title?[/quote]

Seriously, when I saw this I thought it meant Terms of Service 2, as in a new Terms of Service for using a Wii console.:bomb:

Alright, here is my summary of the big reveal article in Nintendo Power this month.

Interview with Teruaki Konishi and Tsutomu Gouda

- Symphonia highest selling Tales game in the US and still selling better than Abyss

- Planned as a spin-off, later decided to expand the scale and make it a direct story sequel
- Project started summer of 06, before Wii was known to be the "casual" system.
- Nintendo specifically asked them to gear the game for a hardcore audience
- Monster system implemented to make the game more enjoyable for casual audience without watering down the full Tales experience; catering to hardcore Tales fans first and foremost - no changes made after the "casual" perception of the Wii became apparent.

- Light use of the Wii remote, activating shortcuts without watering down the Tales experience: pointing at what you want to shoot with the Sorcerer's Ring; click and drag the world map and select destination with the pointer.
- Might be looking at adding more motion-control features to the NA release (no comment)

- Scenario writer for DotNW wrote the original game. Few other design staff from the original game, but majority are new to the series.
- Character proportions changed to stay faithful to new designs
- Fujishima was too busy to do the character designs, so Daigo Okumura (art director for Symphonia and Abyss) did it.

- Monster capturing system intended to be strategic (certain monsters are more useful in certain situations) and a collect-a-thon. Difficult to collect all monsters the first time through the game, though.
- Affection system present in the monster attraction aspect, no story changes as there were with the original game. Optional side quests available.
- Cooking system returns, but now the Wonder Chef teaches you recipies for monster food, which will change your monster parameters or aid their evolution.

- Ratatosk was in the original game but was dormant, and has now awakened.

- Whenever Emil et al find a new spirit, Lloyd is there trying to stop them - why?

THE END

Not part of the interview, but a quote from Gouda at the end of the reveal article:
This game is not Tales of Symphonia 2 [noting the many experimental aspects of the game's structure and mechanics]. In terms of the storyline, however, Symphonia 2 is exactly what it is.

Also from the article:

Of the 8 surviving characters,
all are playable at some point in the game - Zelos in, Kratos out (but he's the narrator of the intro)
. Emil and Marta are the only permanent human characters, the rest of the party of 4 is made up of monsters and guest appearances.

About half of the locations and dungeons are rehashed from the original game (though quite a bit different due to changes in the world).

Monsters recruitment is determined by the element of the battlefield compared to the element of the monster, and influenced by the monster from your party you use to sway them.

11 hours of voiced event scenes and character skits. Event scenes feature realistically proportioned characters, cinematic camera angles and motion-captured character animation. "Prospects looking good for fully voiced skits and perhaps even actual theme-song vocals in the game's North American version."

Great news I really enjoyed the first game and the other tales games that came out hopefully we'll get a nice bonus item like a artbook like with the first game also I think I got a poster of the game with the first game..

So far the characters look pretty good I'm glad old characters will be making an appearance and the monster breeding thing sounds interesting I'll make sure I get this when it comes out.

bread's done
Back