Tough boss battles

Wlogan31

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
Punqsux mentioned how tough Dracula was in COTM...

What are some of the toughest battles you've had in a videogame (and if you used a guide/cheated to beat the boss, then you didn't beat the boss)?

Personally, I got to the end of FF V and had to fight X-Death. It was quite discouraging (I kinda raced through the game and didn't change jobs much to acquire new skills as it was one of my first FF games). My friend took the game back from me after a week or so and I still have never had the chance to finish him off. I know I had to be close a time or two, but never successful.

it took me about 15 tries to kill Drac. I would say that Metroid Prime and Omega Metroid is a pretty tough boss battle as you do not have the ability to recover after fighting MP.

Dracula in Dracula X on snes. Usuaully had to beat both forms without getting hit since this time, the floor was covered in pits.

Xizor in Final Fantasy Legend III was tough. Took me several tries to beat him. My younger brother was 9 or 10 at the time when he tried it. He actually started crying because this boss was so hard.

About all the bosses in Persona 2 were pretty difficult, especially the corrupt police officer, I forgot his name.

In Valkyrie Profile, Blood Bane was a little pain in the behind. It took me awhile to figure out how to beat him. You have to beat him in 10 turns or else he'll heal to the max.

The Breakdown wave after wave of fighting men is only hard because the group fighting mechanic is horrible at best and the T'Lan warriors beat on you like a clown school dropout! I would have to say teh final boss in the original Ninja Gaiden on NES was hard. I still haven't beaten him in in twelve years. Damn I suck!

The 3rd Phase of the second encounter with Reflux from Rayman 3 took me forever. I've beaten lots of bosses that many people consider hard, but this is the one that caused me the most trouble.

In order to hit Reflux, you have to use yellow cans to helicopter from floating platform to floating platform to get to the top where you grab an orange can to shoot a rocket. I don't know why it was so hard for me, but for some reason I had a terrible time trying to get to the top. I would keep missing the next block due to the terrible camera, or I would take an incorrect path where I would eventually get stuck on a block that wouldn't be close enough to any other blocks. What made it 50000 times harder is that after jumping of a block (helicopetering off really, I guess) the platform would dissapear.

So each time I messed up, I would fall all the way back down to the bottom and have to start over. And when falling all the way back down, if you missed the little bottom platform because of the terrible camera, you would die and have to start over at the first phase of the 3 phase battle. >_<

I must have spent at least 10 hours on that one phase. I had horrible block-jumping nightmares for days. :(

[quote name='LeviathynX']The Breakdown wave after wave of fighting men is only hard because the group fighting mechanic is horrible at best and the T'Lan warriors beat on you like a clown school dropout! I would have to say teh final boss in the original Ninja Gaiden on NES was hard. I still haven't beaten him in in twelve years. Damn I suck![/quote]

Yeah, he was tough, as was the one in Ninja Gaiden II....

A buddy of mine and I sat down during school last year and beat both those games one week...

[quote name='Wlogan31']Personally, I got to the end of FF V and had to fight X-Death. It was quite discouraging (I kinda raced through the game and didn't change jobs much to acquire new skills as it was one of my first FF games). My friend took the game back from me after a week or so and I still have never had the chance to finish him off. I know I had to be close a time or two, but never successful.[/quote]

I was laughing when I read this, because THE EXACT same thing happened to me a few years ago. I got to X-Death, realized I had no chance of beating him. I looked in a FAQ, and it recommended that my party be 10 levels higher to even stand a chance. I let it slide after then... That said, that game still kicks fucking ass.

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Indalecio Limiter OFF
HP : 1,500,000
MP : 16,000

This battle is wicked hard. 1.5 million hit points? Christ!

[quote name='ZForce915']Star Ocean: The Second Story

Indalecio Limiter OFF
HP : 1,500,000
MP : 16,000

This battle is wicked hard. 1.5 million hit points? Christ![/quote]

Yes, that was difficult, but it only took me one try, so I didn't mention it. Pretty much their isn't a real tactic to him, just level up and pound away with Claude's Mirror Slice.

In Star Ocean 2, there was a set of four bosses that you could beat in any order, but there was an "expected" order. I accidentally went for the biggest one first. I made it to the boss, 20 sweat filled minutes, when I was almost out of items (I rarely use items) I beat him. Two guys got a level up after it, the other two got two levels up, at that point I knew I missed something, checked a guide. Yep. I should've been about 20 levels higher to even stand a chance. I would've gotten those levels by beating the other three bosses that had much lower stats.

FF7-Emerald Weapon:
Oh the hours spend on this little bastard. I don't think much needs to be said.

Most anti-hard boss:
La Pucelle. I leveled a bunch of guys upto level 50 to make a run for the end. The first boss (the level 64 one) went 75% down in one round, the other 25% easily in the next. Next boss, I only get two guys. I didn't even take damage as that one went down in another two rounds. Disgaea's Seraph was 100x more difficult requiring a number of stratagies and failures before I got it down. La Pucelle disappointed.

Yeah, I beat Seraph with mostly 2 people the whole battle (everyone else had died), a Valkyrie and a Galaxy Mage. Valkyrie died a few turns near the end, and the Galaxy Mage miraculously finished him off alone. I'm currently playing La Pucelle now, actually right near the end, leveling up. I guess I don't need to level up, but a part of me wants to beat the shit out of Baal, and the other part of me knows I'll never have the patience for the Dark World.

Culex in mario RPG.... IT wasnt that he was hard at all... just a very drawn out battle that lapsed over about 35-40 mins.

Any boss from Viewtiful Joe, especially when you had to fight them all at the end at the same time. That sucked ass.

[quote name='6669']Any boss from Viewtiful Joe, especially when you had to fight them all at the end at the same time. That sucked ass.[/quote]

I hated that level. I ignored the game for weeks.

One boss battle i had a hard time with was when u first encounter the Phantom spider in Devil May Cry.

#1 Omega Weapon in FFVIII, he pissed me off so much that after about 20 tries at him I quit playing the game right then and there, I deleted it from my computer and haven't played it since.
#2 Cackletta in Mario and Luigi. I still haven't beat her, I might give it another try sometime toon.
#3 Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts. fuck his Sin Harvest move.

The last boss to Golden Sun #1...cause i suck. i actually traded in the game without beating it and loked at screen caps at the video game museum...

Dracula from Castlevania III (NES), and the Guardian Angel in Adventure of Link (NES) gave me problems.

Any lady death battles in skies of arcadia.Her eterni move ( one hit kill ) is suppose to have a %50 chance of hitting, but it seems more like %90.

Dizzy from GGX on hard
I-No in GGx2, for the first 75 times i played against her...Both bosses had me screaming bloody murder.

The final boss on xenogears. I don't know if I wasn't at a high enough level or what, but I never beat it, it made easy work of me every time.

[quote name='Renzokuken'][quote name='6669']Any boss from Viewtiful Joe, especially when you had to fight them all at the end at the same time. That sucked ass.[/quote]

I hated that level. I ignored the game for weeks.

One boss battle i had a hard time with was when u first encounter the Phantom spider in Devil May Cry.[/quote]

i second the phantom spider...til i figured out how to beat it...then it was a piece of cake

i also agree with the ninja gaiden I final boss...my brother and i breezed through this game with no problem ('cept 6-2 or 6-3...incredibly hard)....then once we got to the final boss, got killed, and had to restart the whole level?!?....i turned the game off....just wasnt worth it

Rider from BoF 4 was like emerald weapon on speed. If you encountered this guy (which i did at level 73), you could kiss your sweet ass goodbye.

the boss of level 5 from contra III, because the screen starts spinning (from an overhead view) and looking at the screen for any more than 10 seconds results in dizziness and dryheaving.

Not sure whether this counts as a boss battle (it's more like "run away from the boss") but I just finished the part in Metroid Fusion where you have to run away from SA-X while shooting ice missles at her. I have no idea how many tries it took me. I was almost ready to throw the GBA SP across the room last night (and I'm not normally a violent person), until I finally gave up. Then I started trying again today and after about my tenth try I finally did it... but then I fell through a trap door and landed on SA-X's head. :roll: (Samus died screaming, but at least I gave SA-X a mild concussion. :lol: ) Then I finally got it right and got killed by a really weak enemy before reaching a save point. :(

1. Omega Weapon from FFVII
2. The final boss from Lunar Silver Story (or whatever it was actually called)
3. The demon guy on Bikanel Desert in FFX2
4. Ganon in the Zelda Oracle games.

In no particular order.. all of them we're tough.

I should probably also mention Nightmare, also from Metroid Fusion. Is it just me or does this game start out easy and then have a dramatic increase in difficulty about two-thirds of the way through? :?

Nemesis in FFX. I never personally got him, but my friend, who filled out the sphere grid with Tidus AND had Blitzball players with higher levels than mine (and I crushed Sin, easily), got him, and Nemesis could still kill his guys in one hit. I mean you could beat him by summoning an Aeon to take the hit, but still that thing was beastly.

The Hardest bosses for me were:

1: The one Weapon that was in the dessert in FF 7. Never beaten

2: I-NO from GGX2. Never even won a round

3: (the final boss (won't say who it is) in Viewtiful Joe on normal. Took me a week and I beat him by luck.

4: last boss in sonic 2 and knuckles. as knuckles this battle frustrated me since some times you would go through the boss and die, making winning a matter of luck.

5: Bowser in SMB when you're small. First boss I ever beat and it took me forever.

Megaman X, Sigma was the devil for me, I couldnt beat him no matter what, until I learned for his first form the jumping from wall to wall trick, Still a hard boss.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Megaman X, Sigma was the devil for me, I couldnt beat him no matter what, until I learned for his first form the jumping from wall to wall trick, Still a hard boss.[/quote]

Sigma from Mega Man X is a PUSSY compared to Sigma from Mega Man X4.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Megaman X, Sigma was the devil for me, I couldnt beat him no matter what, until I learned for his first form the jumping from wall to wall trick, Still a hard boss.[/quote]

Sigma from Mega Man X is a PUSSY compared to Sigma from Mega Man X4.[/quote]

Agreed, Sigma in X-1 had a pattern that's easy to see. First form just stay on the wall and us the Spark, second form use the Sheild on his head. No biggie.

I thought fighting some of the bosses in Strider was like a circle of Hell nobody knew about. Of course, I was a lot younger when I played that game too.

bread's done
Back