Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw man, I hope this isn't the end for TRU clearance.. I'm sure someone has already bought something and attempted to flip it on the spot by now.

The trade in values look pretty decent.. I'm really tempted to go unload a ton of games to get Beatles Rock Band, but I've yet to meet many (if any) Alabama TRU employees that could handle that sort of transaction without an exploding brain :) Awesome news though.. forces Gamestop to become a little more competitive.

[quote name='Skylander7']Aw man, I hope this isn't the end for TRU clearance.. I'm sure someone has already bought something and attempted to flip it on the spot by now.

The trade in values look pretty decent.. I'm really tempted to go unload a ton of games to get Beatles Rock Band, but I've yet to meet many (if any) Alabama TRU employees that could handle that sort of transaction without an exploding brain :) Awesome news though.. forces Gamestop to become a little more competitive.[/QUOTE]
Nah, its not the end of the clearances, all they have to do is make sure the price they sell it at is lower then the trade in price.

I submitted a mail-in order today. We'll see how it goes. One thing that I do like is that their USPS shipping labels include delivery confirmation on them, where Amazon does not.

Ok traded in

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
(Wii) - 13.75

Dragon Quest Swords (Wii) - $6.00

TIV of 19.75 in total .... not bad. I know these TIVs are more than GS

[quote name='accelzero']Ok traded in

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
(Wii) - 13.75

Dragon Quest Swords (Wii) - $6.00

TIV of 19.75 in total .... not bad. I know these TIVs are more than GS[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's 3x as much as you would've gotten from amazon.

Traded a few PS3 and Wii games that I won't play anymore and walked out with $68 in credit. This trade-in deal rules. :)

that they give 50 cents for atari 2600 games is pretty solid. and any amount of money for genesis and snes sports games is awesome.

Alright, here's a pic I took of the used games bin one of my local (metro Atlanta) TRUs has. I spoke to a clerk and asked him what the deal was. He said they take the games in, send them off for inspection and then that company sends them to different stores.

Absolutely solid prices on my unneeded DS games as well as old or bad Xbox games (lol)

Way better than anywhere when it comes to the games you don't think are worth anything.

[quote name='mis0']Gamestop trade in values aren't even that bad when you combine it with their better promotions. But yeah, hopefully TRU doesn't try to stick anything up our asses and gives us some decent values.[/QUOTE]

I don't want no retailer to put anything up my ass. TRU especially because all their toys are typically large!

[quote name='Drkirby']The trade in site contradicts what the info on the front page says, since every game has an "Incomplete Game:An incomplete game must include a working game (scratches are OK), but does not need the box, artwork or manual." option, so you don't need the artwork or box.

You can see it on any page:
http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=8510[/QUOTE]

ya, except your leaving out some key info, no box drops the value 50 percent.

[quote name='Skylander7']Aw man, I hope this isn't the end for TRU clearance.. I'm sure someone has already bought something and attempted to flip it on the spot by now. [/QUOTE]

I don't see why it would matter. Someone is paying TRU to take in the trade in and ship it to them in bulk. So, TRU basically benefits from it no matter what or until the 3rd party says, "no mas".

[quote name='caltab']ya, except your leaving out some key info, no box drops the value 50 percent.[/QUOTE]
But the opening post says they won't take it at all, which is not true.

Traded in some games and the process was beyond easy. The girl at the guest services desk didn't even open the cases to check if the discs were in there. She didn't ask for id or even my name. Basically, she just scanned the games, gave me a total, had me sign a paper, swiped a giftcard and I was on my way.

I wonder if the process will be as easy in places were the pawn shop laws are enforced.

Awesome, another place to unload used games. Though TRUs prices to buy new games aren't typically so great...still, another option is better than not.

[quote name='Kylearan']Awesome, another place to unload used games. Though TRUs prices to buy new games aren't typically so great...still, another option is better than not.[/QUOTE]

Not completely true. They quite frequently offer additional gift cards when you purchase xx title. Recently they have been as high as $30. When you have store credit, its pretty much like a straight discount.

Seems some TIV are good and some are bad.

Comparing Amazon to TRU:
Kingdom Hearts CoM: Amazon: $14.50 TRU:$9.00
Ultimate Ninja 4: Naruto Shippuden Amazon:$19.50 TRU:$17.50

This is great. I always say the more options the better. My only problem is I wanted to find out about the shipping process and put in a test game and now it says that my trade-in has been approved. Anyone know how to cancel these? Or do I just not send it in, and it will cancel itself? Just curious. I didn't see anywhere on the site to cancel trade-ins =P

[quote name='Drkirby']Nah, its not the end of the clearances, all they have to do is make sure the price they sell it at is lower then the trade in price.[/QUOTE]

flip prevention fail..

This is getting good. I am soon going to have gift cards to a bunch of stores. Now to wait till Walmart starts offering it in my area, and my best buy in store to have it so I don't have to wait 2 to 4 weeks.

Here is the comparison of some stuff I plan on trading in today:
- Puzzler Collection (Wii):
BB: $6
TRU: $6.30
Amazon: $2

- Viking (360):
BB: $6
TRU: $6.30
Amazon: $2

- Viking (PS3):
BB: $5
TRU: $5.25
Amazon: 2

- Quake Wars (360):
BB: $8
TRU: $8.75
Amazon: NA

- Need for Speed Carbon: Own the City (PSP):
BB: $5
TRU: $5.25
Amazon: $1

Heh, make it look like TRU just copied Best Buy's values and added 5% :lol: At the very least, I hope this makes Gamestop offer an online price quoter.

[quote name='Jlong1002']Wow $39.00 for Batman according to the website, count me in, GS can suck it![/QUOTE]

I noticed this, I would basically make $10 with that $30 gift card deal.

I also noticed they give less for collectors editions, I found that weird.

[quote name='life.exe']
I also noticed they give less for collectors editions, I found that weird.[/QUOTE]

I was just noticing that, too.

Fallout 3, Game only: $25
Falout 3 CE: $17.50

I rarely trade games in anyway, so this is more of a curiosity for me.

Layton is also $26.25, which is pretty good TIV. Though it was I think $27.50 yesterday, so its going down fast.

Also, I find it funny Gameboy games are worth more then PS1 games.

Just got back from TRU. The website says that manuals are preferred, but not required for full TIV. Not so in-store. They wouldn't take the games at all unless manuals were included. So YMMV on manuals in-store.

[quote name='Japakneez']They don't ask you to make a trade account? Do they at least request your personal information like a drivers license?[/QUOTE]

I know in IL they're required by law to ask.

just got back from trading 11 360 games, ended up with 97.00 in credit. They wouldn't take 3 games, those were chronicles of riddick, sega tennis/arcade comp., and transformers the game all on 360.

Looks like amazon is evening out TIV's with Toyrus +/- .25 lol. I have been making my comparison list this morning and decided to go back through and check and now amazon values almost equal for newer games. For older Toysrus is waaaaaay ahead. I am only referring to 360 though. Anyway was also going to post Amazon was offering 15.75 for Pure 360 but now it matches toyrus which is 12.50. Here is my list of old games I am taking in now.

Conan
SKU: 827307799051
Platform: Xbox 360 $4.55

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy
SKU: 827307790218
Platform: Xbox 360 $8.75

Ninja Blade
SKU: 827307777172
Platform: Xbox 360 $13.65

Kung Fu Panda / Lego Indiana Jones
SKU: 827307779947
Platform: Xbox 360 $6.30

Pure
SKU: 827307786907
Platform: Xbox 360 $12.50

The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II
SKU: 827307931499
Platform: Xbox 360 $7.00

Chromehounds
SKU: 827307931154
Platform: Xbox 360 $3.50

Project Gotham Racing 3
SKU: 827307931420
Platform: Xbox 360 $1.75

Call of Duty 3
SKU: 827307948671
Platform: Xbox 360 $5.25

The Outfit
SKU: 827307931505
Platform: Xbox 360 $3.50

Universe at War: Earth Assault
SKU: 827307791765
Platform: Xbox 360 $6.30

Ninety-Nine Nights
SKU: 827307944031
Platform: Xbox 360 $5.25

[quote name='p5ych0']just got back from trading 11 360 games, ended up with 97.00 in credit. They wouldn't take 3 games, those were chronicles of riddick, sega tennis/arcade comp., and transformers the game all on 360.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they take those games?

Traded in about 10 or so really old PS2 and Gamecube games today at the store. Walked out with $48 in credit, definitely more than GS.

If they start selling classic games, ToysRus will be my place of choice from now on.

[quote name='Sway']Why wouldn't they take those games?[/QUOTE]

sega tennis/arcade couldn't find barcode

chronicles of riddick he said the comp wouldn't let him take certain M rated games

transformers was a L.E case so maybe they didn't have the barcode in the computer

[quote name='spideymike']I see they're also buying used games that never existed in North America. Weird.[/QUOTE]

That's a sick game btw, it's even in English for the most part ... shame it was never released in the U.S.

Time to bust out the xbox and hunt some dinosaurs ... it's almost like Monster Hunter with less depth

Here is anther thing I just noticed. A "complete" game doesn't need the manual:

Complete Game: A complete game must include working game (scratches are OK), original case and cover art. The manual is preferred but not required.

bread's done
Back