Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']That's a sick game btw, it's even in English for the most part ... shame it was never released in the U.S.

Time to bust out the xbox and hunt some dinosaurs ... it's almost like Monster Hunter with less depth[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll have to hunt down an import of it.

I traded in a bunch of games today for around 67.xx

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Wii
Jericho
Resident Evil 4 PS2
Devil May Cry 4

and I learned I have no idea where my Assassin's Creed disc is; I never lose games, so this is extremely odd.

The process was very easy; they just checked to make sure the game was in there; no one looked at the disc. My GH3 for PS2, and Gradius III for SNES both got denied, GH3 because it had no barcode, and Gradius I have no idea why. The guy scanned "incomplete" so that might have something to do with it.

I traded in
Dissidia Psp-26.25
Fear 2 Ps3-12.25
Cake mania:in the mix Wii-6.95
Also they will not take games that aren't complete in store. They wouldn't take Gta IV without the manual and stated they were told not to take any games missing case,cover or manual. Overall the trade in process is simple, I had to show Id due to the town regulations where our Tru is but other than that just handed them games signed a trade form got a receipt form and gift card.

Alright just got back ended up with about $90. They wouldn't take Ninety Nine Knights(no manual), Kungu panda/Lego Indiana, or here is the shocker.... wouldn't take Prototype! Lol. Oh well still a good haul considering the only 20 game I used was Call of Juarez II. Most of these would have fetched .50 - 1.00. So I am satisfied.

Good luck.

[quote name='lolwaut']Gamestop is going down![/QUOTE]

I'm glad some people think that but that is not the case for me. I made a comparison chart last night between Amazon, TRU, and Gamestop and GS won out on pretty much all the games I'm looking to trade. With their new promo of +$5.00 with the trade of 3 PS3, 360, or Wii games, the TIV of most games exceeds the other two by quite a few dollars. Here's just a few examples from my own list:

Madworld (Wii) - $13.80 at GS w/promo, $9.50 at TRU
Mario Super Sluggers (Wii) - $23.70 at GS w/promo, $19.95 at TRU
Obscure: The Aftermath (Wii) - $7.75 at GS w/promo, $3.50 at TRU
Quantum of Solace (PS3) - $13.25 at GS w/promo, $8.75 at TRU
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 (PS3) - $13.80 at GS w/promo, $9.00 at TRU

Granted with just those games I actually can't qualify for the GS promo, but IMO, TRU needs to start throwing some promos our way.

So for the "Generic" classic games do we know what they are looking for? I have a bunch of common Atari games with no manuals/boxes that .50 a piece would be a decent deal for...

[quote name='n8littlefield']So for the "Generic" classic games do we know what they are looking for? I have a bunch of common Atari games with no manuals/boxes that .50 a piece would be a decent deal for...[/QUOTE]

me too. even if to just get rid of the dups I somehow acquired

Sweet Deal. Got a bunch of old games to unload. I can't wait until their buy two get one free deal this Christmas.
Dear Santa:)
I have been a good little gamer all year please bring me a lot of games for Christmas. I have a Wii and an Xbox 360.
Smooches
RoyalT

I might have to give this a try. I just picked some games that I have no need for anymore and just figured I'd be better off keeping them than ever getting ripped off by Gamestop and ended up with $65 according to the website. Even better with games like Rock Band and the Track Pack where I can just copy all the songs over anyway.

Humm I don't know about these TiV "deals". IMO if you live in a pretty big city, craigslist is the way to go. I know I have unloaded some games at near retail values that I had originally paid. Recently I sold a copy of Metal Gear Twin Snakes for GC for $55 on craigslist. TRU, GS, GC would never give me that....ever. So YMMV when considering getting more money in your pocket buy bypassing these greedy stores that will selll your game x2 or x3 the value u just let it go for.

Im not against this practice of the stores though, since I do own some GS stock and their used games stuff makes mad money translating onto the stock market.

[quote name='s0undwav3']Humm I don't know about these TiV "deals". IMO if you live in a pretty big city, craigslist is the way to go..[/QUOTE]

You are lucky, in my area I can't even sell new games way under retail on CL

Just got back from Toys R Us. Traded in a few old games - all of the values were what the website listed. However, they claimed in-store that even N64 games had to be complete. I talked them into taking the ones I had boxes for, but they didnt take the ones that did not.
I was hoping to reserve Scribblenauts, but they said there were no reservations, and I just had to take my chances on tuesday

Interesting, they give more in credit for Professor Layton (Diabolical Box) than Amazon does. Will be going there today so I can have credit ready for Scribblenauts on Tuesday.

Wow. I'm shocked that they have some decent TIV's for some games I think I can grab pretty cheap elsewhere.

Here's to hoping they don't catch on and adopt the Gamestop business model before long.

[quote name='blissskr']...but other than that just handed them games signed a trade form got a receipt form and gift card.[/QUOTE]

What info do you have to give them on that form?

[quote name='killerthrust']they wouldnt take Street Fighter 4 either, i was shocked[/QUOTE]

That's weird. Like it was a complete game? If they're going to be arbitrarily not taking some games, then I'd have to go to Gamestop, which defeats the whole purpose.

Not sure what to do. I was thinking I'd go trade in my pile of games to Toys R Us instead of Gamestop tomorrow, and try for Scribblenauts the next day, but if the trade in values are bad...

But on the other hand, Gamestop doesn't have deals as often it seems like, and they're always trying to pass off used/open box games as new, which makes it hard to even use my credit there.

I'm gonna try this today, have some decent stuff to trade in. Do you goto the customer service desk as soon as you walk in? Or to the video game section to do it?

[quote name='pimpster4183']I'm gonna try this today, have some decent stuff to trade in. Do you goto the customer service desk as soon as you walk in? Or to the video game section to do it?[/QUOTE]

Did you not read the first post????

[quote name='austenwithane'][IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.
[/QUOTE]

OK, this was crap. Went to the store in Schaumburg, IL, with my copy of Professor Layton. TRU trade-in site said $28.35 credit, store only gave me $26.25, and they couldn't figure out a way to adjust it to match the site. I took it because I wanted to use it towards Scribblenauts Tuesday, but I wrote a very firm e-mail to TRU customer service stating my displeasure. So be careful if you're going to trade in your games at the store versus doing it through the mail.

[quote name='saturnotaku']OK, this was crap. Went to the store in Schaumburg, IL, with my copy of Professor Layton. TRU trade-in site said $28.35 credit, store only gave me $26.25, and they couldn't figure out a way to adjust it to match the site. I took it because I wanted to use it towards Scribblenauts Tuesday, but I wrote a very firm e-mail to TRU customer service stating my displeasure. So be careful if you're going to trade in your games at the store versus doing it through the mail.[/QUOTE]

I just ran into the same problem, though most of the TIV's were only off by maybe $.20-.80. The only one or two that were off by more than that were $1 or a lil over that off.

After figuring everything out, I made out about the same as I would have with the lower TIV's at Gamestop and that 4 games gets $20 bonus promo that's coming up stacked on top of Edge.

Here's the TIV's, in the event anyone is wondering(all for PS3):

The Simpsons-$7(website said $7.80)
Folklore-$11.55(website said $12.35)
Monster Madness: Grave Danger-$6.30(same as site)
Armored Core 4-$5.25(same as site)
Lair-$5.25(website said $6.85)
Timeshift-$5.25(same as site)
Saint's Row 2-$9.45(website said $10.25)
Iron Man-$4.55(same as site)
The Club-$6.30(same as site)

I had the following checked, but did not trade:

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction-$8.50 or so(site said $11.55)
Stuntman: Ignition-$3.50(same as site)
Stranglehold-$4.55(same as site)

Basically, if I traded everything in, I would've been missing $7.05 from the total given on the trade value site. I was told that 'it fluctuates' from day to day.

I ended up with $60.90 on a 'merchandise credit' card. It's a very flimsy gift card type card. I'll probably use it all on either Ghostbusters or Batman: AA sooner rather than later, unless they start doing pre-orders @ TRU too. In which case then I'll put a complete pre-order on God Of War III.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What info do you have to give them on that form? .[/QUOTE]
Just a signature saying I agree to the trade in

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Basically, if I traded everything in, I would've been missing $7.05 from the total given on the trade value site. I was told that 'it fluctuates' from day to day.[/QUOTE]

It must also fluctuate over the course of hours because I gave the store clerks the web site printout from 2 hours prior.

It wouldn't hurt for you to send TRU CS an e-mail as well. They need to hear about what's going on.

Just came back from unloading some old games. Most of the ps2/xbox games I unloaded weren't even accepted at gamestop so at least I got something for them. Of note, some of the prices on the website aren't exactly the same as in-store. Examples:
R6 vegas 2 (360): $11.80 (listed as 12.50)
Bioshock (360) $7.?? (listed as $9)
DMC4 PS3: $7.90 (listed as $10)

I just sent a message via the 'contact us' form on the trade value site mentioning the discrepancy between the site and the store as far as values go. Let's see what happens.

[quote name='blissskr']Just a signature saying I agree to the trade in[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks!

Someone mentioned Gamestop's got a "get $20 extra" with 4 trade in though...wonder when that's happening or if you trade in 8 it does an extra $40, etc...
Hmm, just realized this won't take systems, so I'd still need gamestop for that.

Not sure where the complaining about different trade-in values comes from. Sometimes it is just beneficial to read the TrU trade-in FAQ on their site. It addresses this unfounded complaint quite nicely:
18. Would the trade-in values quotes be the same online and in the store?

We cannot guarantee that the store pricing will be the same as the online pricing....

[quote name='Wolfpup']Cool, thanks!

Someone mentioned Gamestop's got a "get $20 extra" with 4 trade in though...wonder when that's happening or if you trade in 8 it does an extra $40, etc...
Hmm, just realized this won't take systems, so I'd still need gamestop for that.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235586

According to that thread it's supposed to start tomorrow (Monday) and it only includes Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii games with a minimum TIV of $2. Yes, you should get an extra $40 as long as you do two different transactions, because that's what I plan on doing. But adding $5.00 to low TIV at GS makes them much better to trade there than TRU.

traded some stuff in today and got $62 in credit, very smooth transaction. picked up guitar hero 5 so I can get GH Van Halen

[quote name='metallicoholic']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235586

According to that thread it's supposed to start tomorrow (Monday) and it only includes Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii games with a minimum TIV of $2. Yes, you should get an extra $40 as long as you do two different transactions, because that's what I plan on doing. But adding $5.00 to low TIV at GS makes them much better to trade there than TRU.[/QUOTE]

If I had some total shit games for PS3, 360 or Wii that I got for $1 each that'd NEVER sell once I trade them in that got a flat $2 TIV, then I'd have gladly waited till tomorrow and did the $20 bonus crap at Gamestop so I know they'd be stuck with that inventory forever.

But the way the TIV's were for the games I was considering for the deal were, I would end up with around the same amounts I got from TRU today.
Plus, I don't feel like going back to the same GS where the asshole clerks said I was 'taking advantage of the system by wanting to do two transactions to get two promos(one for my games, one for my PS3)and only allowed ONE promo and screwed me outta $30-40 in credit.

I realize that this is Cheap Ass "Gamer", but one of the benefits of trading in to TRU is that if you're someone like me, who likes videogames, but also likes, say Legos, you have the option of using that giftcard for things other than games.

[quote name='elsnerma']I realize that this is Cheap Ass "Gamer", but one of the benefits of trading in to TRU is that if you're someone like me, who likes videogames, but also likes, say Legos, you have the option of using that giftcard for things other than games.[/QUOTE]

Word. Plastic crack FTW!

Madden 10 traded for 40.95 which is great. I got it from the Gamestop Buy 1 get 1 online sale so it was a good way tomove 40 over for Halo 3 ODST. I also got Red Faction Guerilla from that sale which I am keeping. I am liking TRU doing this asthey have so much to choose from with the gift cards.

[quote name='elsnerma']I realize that this is Cheap Ass "Gamer", but one of the benefits of trading in to TRU is that if you're someone like me, who likes videogames, but also likes, say Legos, you have the option of using that giftcard for things other than games.[/QUOTE]

Or if you have a kid that needs things as well.

[quote name='metallicoholic']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235586

According to that thread it's supposed to start tomorrow (Monday) and it only includes Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii games with a minimum TIV of $2. Yes, you should get an extra $40 as long as you do two different transactions, because that's what I plan on doing. But adding $5.00 to low TIV at GS makes them much better to trade there than TRU.[/QUOTE]

There's no need to do separate transactions. Just got back from TRU and Gamestop. At GS I traded in 16 games (multiples of 4) in one transaction and asked the clerk to verify each game got an added $5. They all got $5 each for a total of $80 bonus.

Back to TRU topic though. I really like this program as u can still do really good with a high profile game and even some low key games. I traded in 3 copies of "Guitar Hero: Aerosmith" at TRU for $5.25. Picked them up at Sears for $2.00 and change. Manager at TRU rang me up and he had no problems doing 3 copies of the same game. Gamestop wouldn't take them for their promo as it only rang up for $2 and to qualify for GS's promo it has to be $2.01 and up.

Like IATCG said, the tivs are better at TRU for newer and older (read shitty) games. In my case, I traded 8 older PS3 games to TRU for $46.55. I added up what I would've received at GS using jp's list and I would've received $27 (before promo). I would've only received an extra $20 because 2 of my games had a tiv less than $2. BTW, 4 of those quotes were over 2 months old so I might have received less.

So $46.55 at TRU vs $49.70 (after Edge & promo) at GS. The clincher was that I traded in these games at TRU to use the credit to pick up Mario & Luigi and Scribblenauts. If you include the $25 in giftcards (now $30, hopefully), it was a no-brainer.

My point is not that one is better than the other but that you have to look at each individual trade and see what is best for you. It's also good to have another option that gives decent TIVs. The same thing applies to Amazon when you include their trade-in promos (hopefully, they bring them back).

Anybody else noticed that they removed certain titles for on-line trade-in? For the Wii they removed a lot (all?) of the games that come bundled with "hardware", like Mario Kart (w/wheel), Tiger Woods 10 (w/motion+), Wii Sports Resort, PopStar Guitar (w/air grips), etc.

Sold a bunch of games I was mad at today and made off with $240 in store credit.

Kinda hard to get that much from toys r us here but I got some ms points, ea active and mini ninjas with almost enough to get dragon age when it drops.

Might take one of those games back.....any thoughts on mini ninjas?

I got an email from the people from the trade-in site today. They're going to mail me a gift card for the $7 in missing TIV. They said that as of yesterday the site and the store should've been the same.

Thing is, Ratchet & Clank is STILL showing as $11.55, when they said it was $8 and change yesterday.

I tried out TRU's trade-in program for the first time today. I bought two Ben 10 Protector of the Earth for the PSP for $2.54 each plus tax at Target. Then, I went over to TRU and traded them both in for $12.60 in store credit. The trade-in process at TRU was smooth and simple.

Today I traded in Batman for $43.05, COD4 for $22.50, and COD WAW for $25.00. All on PS3, and all prices matched the website.

I got the $30 GC when I bought Batman so I actually made a little money on that one.

bread's done
Back