Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I don't find TRU's TIVs to be much better then GSs TIVs. One game I know about in particular is $7.75 at GS and 8.xx at TRU.[/QUOTE]

But is that TIV @ GS AFTER promo or before? I ask because some of the TIV's that I received @ TRU were the same or close to the amounts that I would've received had I done the GS promos that just ended for some bonus credit.

Traded in a few games for the 360, all came up exactly as the website price. I got shot down on Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise though because it wasn't showing up in their database. Might be because I got the Target exclusive version.

All this rejecting games thing has me a bit worried about whether switching to Toys Is Us is the way to go. Oh well, guess I'm giving it a shot...

I wasn't impressed at all with my trade-in experience. Traded Advance wars days of ruin and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of time. Got $7 for AW and $8.75 for Final Fantasy. Got home and noticed they gave me the trade-in value of Rings of Fate.

Called up though and I'm going to get my game back.

I had a good experience with my TRU trade in, the web site was dead on accurate for my TIVs, first visit to TRU in along time and the register clerk, she was a cutie had potential. I wish Ebgames would do the same, I am one of those that does prefer ebgames, but still I will go anywhere for the best value....hence why I will be getting ODST at TRU currently... the latest vid doc has me excited for ODST seems it could in theory be harder than Halo 3. (but I got of subject sorry)

[quote name='Chlorox']I wasn't impressed at all with my trade-in experience. Traded Advance wars days of ruin and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of time. Got $7 for AW and $8.75 for Final Fantasy. Got home and noticed they gave me the trade-in value of Rings of Fate.

Called up though and I'm going to get my game back.[/QUOTE]

Just e-mail the people at the website by using this form here.

They'll correct any discrepancies between the site and the store. They're sending me a $7 gift card to make up for the differences between the site and the store's trade value computer.

I'd definitely suggest that for anyone else who's considering trading in but finding different values in store versus the site.

Either that or follow the site's trade-in procedures and do the trades via mail, since the values should be able to be 'locked in' like on Amazon.

Don't forget though, that besides TRU, Blockbuster, Gamestop, Gamecrazy, Hollywood Video and in some spots now Best Buy, there's also Amazon, EStarland and the Transworld Chains(FYE, SecondSpin, Wherehouse)that you can either take your trades to or mail them into.

Unfortunately, some of them WILL require games in excellent shape, which is where Gamestop and TRU seem to be better, but you DO have options available to you. Check the prices, compare, do your research and don't just settle for the first offer.

The website says you can mail in games without the manual or case for less credit. Will the actual store take just the disc? I have to assume they won't.

I had good experiences on two trade ins with TRU. Everything was smooth and they even tell you the price of the game before adding it to your total in case you dont like it. Then you sign a HUGE receipt with each game listed and the price, so you have plenty of time to cancel and get your stuff back or corrected.

BTW, TIV on the site was $6.30 and in store it was still $8.75 for Xblades on 360. Otherwise all TIVs matched the site.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']The website says you can mail in games without the manual or case for less credit. Will the actual store take just the disc? I have to assume they won't.[/QUOTE]

How do so many people lose/misplace the cases/manuals? That's what I wanna know.

I know the people at my closest TRU the other night were trying to figure out how to deduct credit for missing manuals and what not, though they couldn't find an option. Thankfully. :D

Not sure if they'd take disc only stuff though. Why don't you ummmm.....CALL THEM and ask?:roll:

I knew I should have gone and traded my X-Blades copies yesterday, or at least printed off the shipping voucher online when I had them all in my cart at $8.50 a piece.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How do so many people lose/misplace the cases/manuals? That's what I wanna know.

I know the people at my closest TRU the other night were trying to figure out how to deduct credit for missing manuals and what not, though they couldn't find an option. Thankfully. :D

Not sure if they'd take disc only stuff though. Why don't you ummmm.....CALL THEM and ask?:roll:[/QUOTE]

I don't call because I was at work :)

And I don't have manuals to some games because I got them used. Kinda partly why I use Goozex now.

[quote name='mercilessming']I had a good experience with my TRU trade in, the web site was dead on accurate for my TIVs, first visit to TRU in along time and the register clerk, she was a cutie had potential.
Potential for you to defile her?

Just back from first trade at Toys R Us.
The will NOT take games without manual, it even states on the sign that it needs it. Manual less games will have to be mailed in I guess.
I tried to trade in Ghostbusters 360 which had the gamestop exclusive logo on the front and it wouldn't take it. UPC was different I guess from the regular one.

They wouldn't take my Guitar Hero Aerosmith (game only, PS3), gave some nonsense excuse about it being a bundle or pack-in or something.

Did my first trade today. Went smoothly, no problems. Values were the same as on the website. Got Scribblenauts w/ free $15 giftcard, and trade values were better than Gamestop. Will have to start trading here more since I hate going to Gamestops (gutted games, snotty nerd clerks, crap trade values). Plus next week's Halo 3 ODST deal at TRU w/ $20 giftcard is sweet!

TRU wouldn't take a couple of games that were "bundled" with hardware - - GH3 (PS3) and American Idol 2 (Wii). The games were complete, had cover art, but did not have a UPC code on the back since it was part of a bundle.

Anyone tried taking in old ass games?

I have about 20 NES games I could not get more than $.50 apeice for anywhere else either.

Shit like SMB/Duck Hunt, Carmen Sandiego, Beach Volleyball, sports type stuff.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I don't find TRU's TIVs to be much better then GSs TIVs. One game I know about in particular is $7.75 at GS and 8.xx at TRU.[/QUOTE]

The values are pretty close when you maximize bonuses at Gamestop, to me the HUGE difference is what you can with the credit. Gamestop has no deals on new releases, while toys r' us has the best deals. Gamestop can still be good when there's b2g1 used or a good coupon, but on new stuff its no contest which is better. The other thing in Gamestop's favor though is tax, at least here in Georgia. Toys r us credit gets charged tax when you use it, while gamestops doesn't.

Did my first trade too. Thankfully they took all the games, and it was really painless compared to setting up Gamestop the first time!

Just got my gift card, went over to the video game section, and got Scribblenauts with a second gift card, for $15, really.

And yeah, Toys R Us has way better deals, plus no open box nonesense (that's huge for me), plus gives you new gift cards each time, plus has Transformers, Legos, etc.

Only downside is the trade in refusal issue, no trade ins on systems, and basically no PC games...but Amazon/Gogamer, GOG.com are probably better options for those anyway...even Best Buy sometimes.

[quote name='redsoxfan808']TRU wouldn't take a couple of games that were "bundled" with hardware - - GH3 (PS3) and American Idol 2 (Wii). The games were complete, had cover art, but did not have a UPC code on the back since it was part of a bundle.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they don't take anything they can't scan into the system. I'm sure they'll fix that eventually by teaching their employees how to look up games unless their system works with UPC codes only.

[quote name='Shady3011']I'm guessing they don't take anything they can't scan into the system. I'm sure they'll fix that eventually by teaching their employees how to look up games unless their system works with UPC codes only.[/QUOTE]

Games can only be traded in store by scanning in the UPC. There is no option to look up games by title.

You have to remember, TRU is only the middle man in the trade-ins. TRU does not set the TIV or what can or can not be traded in. That is done by Gamers Factory

I'm not sure if this question has been answered already but can you trade in multiple copies of the same game?

[quote name='btt']I'm not sure if this question has been answered already but can you trade in multiple copies of the same game?[/QUOTE]

Here you go, cut and paste from first page of this thread:

"Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title"

[quote name='caltab']The values are pretty close when you maximize bonuses at Gamestop, to me the HUGE difference is what you can with the credit. Gamestop has no deals on new releases, while toys r' us has the best deals. Gamestop can still be good when there's b2g1 used or a good coupon, but on new stuff its no contest which is better. The other thing in Gamestop's favor though is tax, at least here in Georgia. Toys r us credit gets charged tax when you use it, while gamestops doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and don't forget Ebgames seems to not do B2g1 anymore, they rather make you preorder get xx off or buy some old last gen games coupon LOL...

Yesterday I traded Prof Layton Diabolical Box for $28.35, which matched the website. Then bought Scribblenauts with it, and got a $15 GC in return. The transactions took all of 2 minutes, and I got a new release for half off. Hopefully they keep up the deals so I can perpetuate these gift cards.

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']I don't call because I was at work :)

And I don't have manuals to some games because I got them used. Kinda partly why I use Goozex now.[/QUOTE]

You bought them from Gamestop used? That's the only way I could figure you got ones without manuals and/or coverart. Even when I buy used from GS I ask if they have one with a manual and coverart, no manual/coverart then I don't buy them, it's as simple as that.

[quote name='stone1061']Just back from first trade at Toys R Us.
The will NOT take games without manual, it even states on the sign that it needs it. Manual less games will have to be mailed in I guess.
I tried to trade in Ghostbusters 360 which had the gamestop exclusive logo on the front and it wouldn't take it. UPC was different I guess from the regular one.[/QUOTE]

This is a quote describing the various conditions. Apparently, if you dont have the box they chop the TIV in half, but ALL conditions accept scratches as 'ok' and manuals are 'preferred but NOT required'. So I guess it must be stores making up their own rules as they go along.

Complete Game:

A complete game must include working game (scratches are OK), original case and cover art. The manual is preferred but not required.
Incomplete Game:

An incomplete game must include a working game (scratches are OK), but does not need the box, artwork or manual.
Unacceptable Game:

An unacceptable game is a game that is cracked or damaged and not in working condition.

[quote name='ApolloSol']Can you sell game consoles at TRU as well? I really want to get rid of my Wii....[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the double post, but I had issues with backspacing removing the formatting from the conditions quote I made in my prior post.

As to your question, I don't believe they take in hardware at this point, since I did a search for whether or not they took hardware and I didn't find any search results coming up for hardware.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You bought them from Gamestop used? That's the only way I could figure you got ones without manuals and/or coverart. Even when I buy used from GS I ask if they have one with a manual and coverart, no manual/coverart then I don't buy them, it's as simple as that.[/QUOTE]

Well, I look back at the games I have without manuals (and some without cases), and regret not doing the same as you. Since I've used Goozex, ALL my games come with the manual and case, and it's spoiled me.

That was a quick & painless process. Traded in 3 :360: Guitar Hero : Aerosmith for $5.25 each. Signed the paper, got the giftcard, & got this 8" x 11" piece of paper printout with the details. They even said the value of each one as they scanned it in the computer (;) even tho it was the same game.) The store manager was pretty pissed about the line of people waiting to trade in games, but only because there were 3 of his workers on the customer service counter handling the trade-in process.

It looks like PS3 games might retain their value better because most I see are valued higher than 360, probably because of that protective coating they have. This is the first I've seen of this from a trader I think.

Just traded in 3 copies of the same game; no questions asked. In fact, they didn't even open the cases? lol, there were two people working the guest service desk and it was both of them's first time. Asked for birthdate, scanned the boxes, searched for a "merchandise card", made me sign a form, and I was on my way out. Pretty nice. I even got the price of a game before it fell by $2 two days ago. Very happy about that.

These "merchandise credit" cards are the same as gift cards I presume? So they don't expire?

I posted this in my blog, but I wanted to share it here too.

I went into a Toys R Us today (store # 7517) to trade in Resident Evil 5 for PS3 and they denied the trade in because, as the manager put it, it was an M rated game, thus it didn't qualify for a trade in. I pointed out that I also traded in Call of Duty 4, which is also an M rated game, and they accepted that, and he responded by saying that the only accepted certain kinds of M rated games, though he didn't specify which ones they did take and which they didn't. I mentioned that the trade-in Web site assigned a value to the game, but he just brushed it off. I was excited to finally have a different venue for trading in games, but I can already see it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

[quote name='progman3']That was a quick & painless process. Traded in 3 :360: Guitar Hero : Aerosmith for $5.25 each. Signed the paper, got the giftcard, & got this 8" x 11" piece of paper printout with the details. They even said the value of each one as they scanned it in the computer (;) even tho it was the same game.) The store manager was pretty pissed about the line of people waiting to trade in games, but only because there were 3 of his workers on the customer service counter handling the trade-in process.[/QUOTE]

Long line for trade ins? At my TRU I'm always the only one. Done about 5 trades so far there and they have been great. My last one today: Picked up 3 copies of X-Blades at BB and traded them in to Game Crazy for almost $20 each. Picked up a Wii Motion Plus and a PS3 Batman Arkham used for $40.49 to trade in at TRU for $43.09! Then used my GC to pick up Mario Luigi Bowsers Inside Story with the bonus $10 GC.

TRU ROCKS! :bouncy:

Toys R Us failed my friend. He went to trade in Batman and SF4. The system wouldn't take them and support had them reset everything. After about 25 minutes they called him back up and told him they couldn't take them because they were to old.

I just tried to trade in a few games through the website. Once I get to the checkout process an error page comes up. I'll have to go try a store this weekend and see if I have any luck there.

TRU in 440 NJ wouldn't accept Wii Sports because there's no UPC code for them to scan...and they aren't trained to go to the TRU trader in website to verify.

[quote name='qwazelbee']Considering that TRU sells the game for 29.99 that's pretty crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you'll get less than that at the store. When it was $28.35 (IIRC) online, I only got $26.25 at the B&M.

For those who can find Chronicles of Riddick at Target for $9.98 or less, TRU will give $17.05 in credit. Anyone else find it odd that they give $41.50 for DiRT 2 (a game that's a couple weeks old) but only $36.75 for NFS: Shift (a game that's a couple days old)?

Actually I think retail on Layton is $35 everywhere. Nintendo has been doing that lately.

bread's done
Back