Trade in Nintendo DS + $69.99 for DS lite- Gamestop/Eb Games

gobz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Was walking home today and saw this promotion...

Trade in your old Nintendo DS and get a New Nintedo DS Lite for $69.99
or
Trade in Your Gameboy Advance SP and get a New Nintendo DS lite for $99.99

With that in mind please read the following disclaimer:
1. I have searched for this "deal" and have not found it listed on these boards. If it has been listed I apologize to the extra sensitive people that will in fact point that out.
2. I realize that many might not find this to be much of a deal. But for people like myself that have an old-big-as-a-brick DS it might not seem so bad.

It could be a good way to get a discount on a DSL too. I've seen the old DSes going for less than $60 on craigslist. Pick one of those up, trade it in and you're set.

Yep, my barcode was scrateched. I did this today- trade in my DS, Zelda for $43, Warioware: Touched for $14.40 and GTA: San Andreas (XBOX) for $8.80, paid $5 out of my pocket. Worth every penny! It is a HUGE imporvement over the old DS. The screen alone... WOW!!!

[quote name='regisphilbi0']Warioware: Touched for $14.40[/quote]

Isn't this going for $30+ on eBay?

For those with big hands...does this help with sore-knuckle-claw? It may be time for me to finally upgrade.

sorry but this deal blows hard. no offense @ the OP, just bashing gamestop. DS's go for $99 very easily. $29.99 is much better price for a lite. i guess its alright if you dont have access to ebay though.

Here's a question. The wiki says the trade-in value for a standard DS is $50 now. Is this JUST for the promotion or has it been raised all together?

While this may be a repost, I still thank the OP for bringing this to my attention. This may be a nice, cheap way for me to get a Lite since I have some dupe used games that have been sitting around that nobody wants to trade for.

And I only see 3 completed auctions for the fat grey DS on eBay: 1 @ $60, 1 @ $65, and an oddball one that ended @ $80. So this deal doesn't seem too bad (it's no T2G1 on Wii games but it'll do). Unless you have a blue or red DS, or can't stand to see EBStop resell your stuff for a profit. :lol:

I have a stuck pixel, beat to hell, blue DS that would be perfect for this deal. Does anyone know what Mario 64 DS and AC:WW are trading for?

[quote name='bg2001']this thread (and all eb/gs trade threads) should be retitled "Trade in 'X' to GS/EB, get a free big pile of nothing"

:rofl:[/QUOTE]

No you actually get 60.00 Store Credit. I'm no expert but i'm sure 60.00 is better then nothing :)

Normally I would agree with you (since EBStop's used prices suck and I don't generally pay full retail for new games), but in this case I'll be disposing of a heavily used DS and some lightly scratched dupe games nobody wants, leaving w/ a DS Lite, and ending w/ $0 left in worthless EBStop credit. Sounds pretty win-win to me, especially since unlike the buyers on eBay (for what... $5 more, minus fees?) I'll never hear any complaints from them.

And if it makes anyone feel any better these things will probably never sell. They charge too much for them.

[quote name='bg2001']this thread (and all eb/gs trade threads) should be retitled "Trade in 'X' to GS/EB, get a free big pile of nothing"

:rofl:[/quote]

Its worth it if you have a beat up DS however if your DS is in good condition, comes with box and all paperwork and has hardly any scratches (or is a rare color) then you should go with ebay. Ebay buyers unlike gamestop care about condition and are sometimes very picky so if your DS is in good condition go the ebay route and if its in very poor but "working" condition go the gamestop route. Just remember that gamestop resells these systems for 109.99, they were down to 89.99 at one point but they raised up the prices again, and some stupid people buy them!

[quote name='25senior.com']Noob question here...

If I did this, would I lose all my game saves?

Do the games save to the DS or to the cart?[/QUOTE]
to the cart

Just picked up a new Onyx DS Lite. It stung to part with the $70 and I didn't get jack for my trade-in games (usual EBStop crappy trade-in prices), but this thing is pretty sweet.

I'll be checking this out later tonight if this is the case then. I tried to trade my blue DS for a DSLite last week and they only wanted to give me $40 for it. With $60 I'll give it another try.

I wonder if we could get a couple more EB/GS threads that are already covered in the main thread. You know, push a few more deals down off the front page?

Question: can you trade in a *broken* DS and get this deal? My nephew has a fat DS that doesn't charge properly (more correctly, you have to hold the cord in, and using a different cord doesn't help, so it's an internal problem. Can he trade that in and get a DS Lite for $69.99? Also, he has an old Advance SP - can he trade both in toward one DS Lite?

[quote name='crunchewy']Question: can you trade in a *broken* DS and get this deal? My nephew has a fat DS that doesn't charge properly (more correctly, you have to hold the cord in, and using a different cord doesn't help, so it's an internal problem. Can he trade that in and get a DS Lite for $69.99? Also, he has an old Advance SP - can he trade both in toward one DS Lite?[/quote]as long as you can get it to power on i dont see them having to notice this so you would be in the clear

It's not that bad... I sold a regular DS with two good games (Pac-Pix and Nintendogs Chiwawa) for $94. So a regular DS alone would probably only get $80 or so, minus eBays and you're left with about $75.

[quote name='Tsukento']Here's a question. The wiki says the trade-in value for a standard DS is $50 now. Is this JUST for the promotion or has it been raised all together?[/quote]

That $50 report on the wiki is from me, and it is not for the promotion. I did buy a DS Lite with that $50 and other credit from the 50% extra deal, but this promotion seems to be giving $60 for an original DS.

The upgrade from a DS to a DS Lite is quite nice. Good deal here for anyone looking to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regisphilbi0
Warioware: Touched for $14.40

You got ripped off pretty bad. This game fetches a good amount on eBay and a pretty penny on Amazon.com.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No, that's not a ripoff, not at all. :roll:

I'm keeping my DS, but thanks for posting.[/quote]

To be fair, a lot of people don't want to bother with ebay or other online markets. I sold my original DS to them for $50 and I'm happy with that. I probably could've gotten $20-$30 more on an online market, but after fees and the hassle, this is much more convenient. At least they aren't giving $28 that was reported on the wiki earlier.

However, what is a ripoff is them selling scratched-to-hell original DS systems for $20 less than a brand new DS Lite.

Would they take a DS and a GBA at the same time? Likely not, but I have an ugly, scratched (case, not screen) mostly beat up Red DS, which I hate the color of, and an old junker GBA that works. I wouldn't mind getting rid of them for a cheap new DS Lite.

Well, you could trade in the GBA first and get the credit for it, then trade in the DS for the DS Lite promo and use some of the credit you earned on the GBA to pay abit of the amount needed for the Lite.

Is the GBA the first brand or SP?

sell your DS to a CAG for $80-90 or ebay it for more (sold mine for $120 with 3 games)...don't feed the GS resale machine.

Has anyone successfully done this deal yet? I can't find it on their website.

I plan to try it this Sunday, but I'm going to call ahead to make sure I don't peel off my screen protector for nothing!

I just called GS to check on this deal. Not only did they not know anything about it, but they told me the deal they'd done like this before just ended.

Another time the morons at GS don't know what's going on.

[quote name='Daisydog']Has anyone successfully done this deal yet? I can't find it on their website.

I plan to try it this Sunday, but I'm going to call ahead to make sure I don't peel off my screen protector for nothing![/quote]

Yes, I did the deal today. But, unfortunately I got one with a stuck pixel. Luckily Nintendo supposedly replaces a DS lite with even 1 stuck pixel. The downside is that it will apparently take ~2 weeks for the turnaround.

The guy on the phone said to me: "1 pixel? Does it affect gameplay?"
My response was: "Yes. I'm anal"

I envy the people that can be happy with one or two stuck pixels but i can't.

This is tempting. I have a blue phat DS that I wouldn't mind upgrading to a DS lite.

Hmm...two DS lites in a single person household. (I already have a white ds lite)

im telling you guys, i just sold my DS a month ago for $99. didnt even have the box. i got my price by searching the completed auctions and while alot bidded out to $60 or so, the buyout ones went for around a hundred. i just put mine as buy it now for $99 and it was gone fast.

My Nintendo DS's top screen is totally broken, would I be able to trade that in without them noticing? Like, when I turn it on, about 40 percent of the pixels are dead. Also, could I put the store credit from my SP with this?

[quote name='FallMoon']My Nintendo DS's top screen is totally broken, would I be able to trade that in without them noticing? Like, when I turn it on, about 40 percent of the pixels are dead. Also, could I put the store credit from my SP with this?[/quote]

No. They turn the system on when you trade it in, unless you get a really dumb employee.

Just got back from EB after trading my electric blue phat DS and Nintendogs for a new Onyx DS lite. Overall, I'm satisfied with my decision. I got $11 for Nintendogs too so that helped a bit; I've been wanting to get rid of it forever though. Even though I already have a white Lite, I couldn't stand have primitive technology in my house :lol:.

[quote name='bmulligan']Anybody know the regular trade-in value for a DS without buying a new one in the same deal ?[/quote]

$50.

bread's done
Back