Transferring Licenses....Again.

Rev3rEND

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So, I'm on the phone with Xbox support (18004myxbox)

been on the phone for over 30 minutes now, been through 2 people.. the 1st just wasn't the right department I guess.. so then I talked with Xbox LIVE support for 20 minutes, he said I can't transfer my licenses again since I already had to do it after my system 3-ringed in december.

a couple days ago I bought the new Red Elite edition.... and figured calling and asking for another transfer... since I just dropped 400 bucks, and countless money for downloadable content over the past 3 years.. I assumed it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

he said I can't do it again that I have to wait... my reply was "Then I'll just take it back, I spent alot of money just to have stuff I can't use unless I'm online"

he transferred me..

now I'm talking with a supervisor.

they said there is nothing I can do... I even said that "Well, All I can do now is to take the console back, my friends and I have 3 different accounts for rock band and only being able to play when all 3 are logged into LIVE seems ridiculous." they said "thats my choice."

I'm livid.. that's effing ridiculous.

She argued with me that I didn't have to use the DRM tool because everything was done at the repair center, and I tried explaining it to her that they DID NOT do that.. and the paper in my box even SAID "if this was not done at repair center just go to blah blah blah.xbox.blah and do it yourself.".... obviously I'm paraphrasing. :bomb:

Some customer service....

Several hours later, I called again, explained the situation, etc. etc. He seem ed like he didn't really get what the problem was at first. so I had to keep trying to explain. he seemed to get it, put me on hold for about 15 minutes. I thought he actually just hung up. came back and said "Ok, I'm going to have you give the License Transfering Tool another shot." I said I was at work, but can do it as soon as I get home." he said "That is fine, go ahead and do it again and call us back if you have anymore problems."

...Didn't work...

Ok..., lets try an email. so I sent a 500 character message Friday night stating I did the transfer already, but got another.. and am hoping for some give to the license rescrictions so I can fully enjoy the new console I just bought and please help."

I got a message back Today (Sunday) from someone named Arnold... who basically tells me to call the 1-800 number and they will help me out... *sigh*..

Last edited by a moderator:
When you went there first time it states you can only do it once in a 12 month period. It sucks but they are correct in saying there is nothing they can do, and it is your choice if you want to return the 360. I just got a new one and I am doing Shipwrecks split the cost method of getting DLC with a friend so right now everything on my system is tied to my gamertag, but I don't see the big deal because if I am playing I am online there is no reason not to be.

Same. I just transferred over my licenses late last year (I think it was December), and it does indeed say you can only do it once a year.

Wow, it says it so it must be right!?!???!?!
You guys are encouraging Microsofts customer unfriendliness.
Fight them.
Write your states Attorney General. You paid for the content, and they have zero right to prevent you from using it within the manner prescribed. As long as you aren't modifiying it, or making copies then THEY need to change THEIR policies. The transfer of license thing is their lazy attempt to thwart dishonesty. You aren't being dishonest, so make it as costly for them to enforce as you can.

I am all about power to the people but pick your fights. Before you contact Obama why don't you read over the EULA you went into when you signed up for Live and downloaded the DLC they have licensed to you.

They have this in place for a reason. Think through it, same reason you can only have 5 computers hooked to the same itunes account, it's about licensing.

That is my exact feelings. Just because "that's how it's done" doesnt mean its right.

Im not stealing or doing anything malicious. I just want to use the content we downloaded. Having to log in 3 people just to play all the songs we downloaded on rock band is ridiculous. I know the need to protect themselves. But 1 time every 12 months for a system as unreliable as there's?! Not exceptable.

I paid alot of money for all the stuff on my 360.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']It is dumb, but it's stated what the rules are. As stupid as it may seem, it's how it is.[/quote]
I am saying is the rule is wrong.
There should not be a distinction between DLC and physical product. I can play my copy of "XGAME" anywhere, but I can't do that with DLC. Fine. But they should NOT be able to tell me I can't use my DLC on MY OWN SYSTEM, because it doesn't fit in their corporate model. If the terms aren't "fair" you can't be held to them even if you agree. If I need cash and the only way I can get money is to sign away the rights to my first born, I don't actually have to give up said child when the bill comes due. Obviously I am stretching things, but I hope you get the point: what they are saying is illogical and, I would think, illegal.
To the Itunes thing: I can , however, burn a copy of said files and do whatever I want with them (beyond the obvious illegal pirating things). Ie. play them OUTSIDE of itunes/my ipod.

Like I said, it's their rules. It was pointed out to you and they aren't going to bend them just because you bought a new system. I agree it's very illogical and stupid, and I wish it wasn't even a rule because of how inconvenient it is, but it's there.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Like I said, it's their rules. It was pointed out to you and they aren't going to bend them just because you bought a new system. I agree it's very illogical and stupid, and I wish it wasn't even a rule because of how inconvenient it is, but it's there.[/quote]
I am saying perhaps it's a rule worth fighting and changing.

This is completely a consumer rights issue. The best thing you can do is return the Elite. From there, you also need to let Microsoft know exactly what happened and why. Write a letter, e-mail them, whatever. Another great option is to write a blog post right here on CAG. Just earlier this week, a lot of fees associated with the Capcom Unity debit cards were dropped because another CAG member blogged about it. If you want to take it a step further, contact consumerist.com and see if they'll post something about it. The only way to get policy changed is to let Microsoft realize how unpopular it is. To just say "them's the rules" doesn't help anyone and just gives corportations more power. /rant

Thanx Pulsar and EPB. I think I will do that.

and everyone else.. I absolutely realize that "it's right there in there user agreement"

but honestly, have you even read some "user agreements" such as Myspace?.. Facebook also went through a HUGE ordeal about there's. and Google Chromes which basically stated "everything you ever do is owned by us now."

again.... paraphrasing, but that is essentially what it said until there where enough complaints to change it. just because they say so, doesn't mean it's right or we have to put up with it.

I'm going to try emailing and writing a blog and seeing if Kotaku and some other gamer sites will take a look at it. sitting idle only makes things worse.

I'll keep you updated on any progress.

Once a year is ok, but they should also let you do a transfer when you drop the cash on a new box.

Don't listen to the people telling you not to fight them, if it wasn't for people fighting/complaining we never would have gotten the DRM transfer tool in the first place.

porieux. Once a year should be fine. But on the rare occasion like mine. An exception should always be allowed for such loyalty. I love my 360.. I wish it lived me back is all *sniffle*

When they didn't transfer it for repair you should have called them then, I did that and they transferred my licenses without using my once a year transfer.

If im not mistaken as long as you are connected to live you can still use all your old content. You just have to be connected to live to use it.

[quote name='Bucknut']If im not mistaken as long as you are connected to live you can still use all your old content. You just have to be connected to live to use it.[/quote]

Did you even read the post before you replied? Really? The whole issue is he KNOWS that he can use the content on Live, he wants to use it while he's offline.

All it is is an anti-piracy measure to the extreme. They want each person playing to have a unique copy of it. They're losing money by people loaning out games to friends, used games sales, etcetcetc and they want to combat that. Downloading the DLC means you're pretty much at their mercy and you consent to their terms of use.

[quote name='hhhdx4']When they didn't transfer it for repair you should have called them then, I did that and they transferred my licenses without using my once a year transfer.[/QUOTE]
how long did it take? did it take a lot of convincing?

Bucknut. As my original post stated. I know this.. I also have 2 other roommates with full albums for rock band that can't be played unless they are signed in as well. So if one of us wants to play a random set on Rock band. They would have to sign into all 3 accounts.

It all comes down to this single sentence.

"I own it and should be allowed to use it lawfully."

There user agreement is not law and it's down right not fair. I didn't pay to "lease" it or pay to borrow it. This stuff is mine...right?

[quote name='Rev3rEND']Bucknut. As my original post stated. I know this.. I also have 2 other roommates with full albums for rock band that can't be played unless they are signed in as well. So if one of us wants to play a random set on Rock band. They would have to sign into all 3 accounts.

It all comes down to this single sentence.

"I own it and should be allowed to use it lawfully."

There user agreement is not law and it's down right not fair. I didn't pay to "lease" it or pay to borrow it. This stuff is mine...right?[/quote]
Waaaaaah I have to sign in to Live. It's so awful.

Seriously, quit complaining, it's not that bad. And no, actually, you DON'T own that content. Read the EULA and agreements. They still state they Microsoft owns it, and for all intents and purposes, you ARE "renting" it from them. You don't own it. They do. They can tell you how you can use it.

Yoda.. If you like being "F"ed in the"A" then that's fine. Some people don't like being controlled..

The EULA you quote is for video rentals.

But thanks for proving there are people who don't mind the patriot act. Or probably thought people who had a red ring should just go buy another..

Your the type of person that thinks rape victims had it coming don't you?

"To everyone that agrees with me, I love you and we are all so right. To everyone that doesn't, fuck you and get raped by Microsoft's policies." Paraphrasing here, but that is essentially what you're saying. ;)

I like the DRM since I can buy something and give it to a friend too which makes everything a better deal to me. I'm connected to Live 99% of the time when I'm playing, so it really doesn't bother me. I can't believe Microsoft has been generous enough to allow this loophole to exist.

I do hope that they allow for you to use the transfer tool again, because you shouldn't be punished for buying their new products. However, I'm pretty sure that they are aware of this problem. Make a blog post and see if it ever gets fixed.

sj41.... LOL

That's funny. And yeah, kinda basically what I said. Haha.

I'm gonna call again and ask to talk to someone with more authority and see if we can work something out.

Thanks for... Your... Support. I guess? Haha

Ok. I called again. This time the guy on the other end "seemed" helpful. Put me on holdfor about 10 minutes. Came back on and said go ahead and try using the license transfer tool again... Hmm..
I'm at work right now. So.. I'm gonna try it when I get home and see what happens. I dunno. He seemed to be in a hurry to get me off the phone.
*crosses fingers*

UPDATE: Got home, did the license thing again... didn't look like anything had changed. went to 360, redownloaded a couple things, logged off and tried them.. nope. nothing happened.
So that guy totally just jerked me around.. awesome.

Well, I shot out an email to microsoft..... guess we'll see where that goes..

[quote name='Rev3rEND']Yoda.. If you like being "F"ed in the"A" then that's fine. Some people don't like being controlled..

The EULA you quote is for video rentals.

But thanks for proving there are people who don't mind the patriot act. Or probably thought people who had a red ring should just go buy another..

Your the type of person that thinks rape victims had it coming don't you?[/quote]
Wow, you're quite the whiny troll, aren't you? No, that EULA applies for EVERYTHING these days. Read the EULA for a piece of software you by for your computer. You don't own that software. You have the right to use it. That's it. Now, granted, most of the time nobody will know if you break the EULA, but the simple fact still exists that it does state that you don't own it. The same applies for EVERYTHING purchased from the Live Marketplace. To put it simply: LEARN TO READ.

Now, I understand that it's a pain in the ass to deal with these licenses. Sure, given the choice I'd also get rid of them. But I've accepted the fact that we have to deal with them. Call Microsoft some more if you really can't be bothered to simply sign into Live to use stuff. Try and get the supervisor of a supervisor. They might be able to help you. I honestly doubt it however, as I've heard stories of people trying to the same thing as you before and getting nowhere. To be blunt though, you really have no one to blame but yourself. If you had simply called Microsoft from the start and had them do your original license transfer when you got your 360 back, you wouldn't have used your one transfer for the year.

And for those that can't comprehend why they limit the transfers, here's an example of why they do:

Friend A buys content on his 360, and plays it. (We'll call it DLC for some game).
Friend B then copies it to his 360 via memory card, does a license transfer, and plays it.
Friend A does a transfer back to his 360, plays it.
Friend B does a transfer, etc etc.

That's exactly the sort of situation Microsoft is trying to avoid, and that's why they put a limit on it. It sucks, yes, but if they didn't people would abuse the hell out of it.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Wow, you're quite the whiny troll, aren't you? No, that EULA applies for EVERYTHING these days. Read the EULA for a piece of software you by for your computer. You don't own that software. You have the right to use it. That's it. Now, granted, most of the time nobody will know if you break the EULA, but the simple fact still exists that it does state that you don't own it. The same applies for EVERYTHING purchased from the Live Marketplace. To put it simply: LEARN TO READ.

Now, I understand that it's a pain in the ass to deal with these licenses. Sure, given the choice I'd also get rid of them. But I've accepted the fact that we have to deal with them. Call Microsoft some more if you really can't be bothered to simply sign into Live to use stuff. Try and get the supervisor of a supervisor. They might be able to help you. I honestly doubt it however, as I've heard stories of people trying to the same thing as you before and getting nowhere. To be blunt though, you really have no one to blame but yourself. If you had simply called Microsoft from the start and had them do your original license transfer when you got your 360 back, you wouldn't have used your one transfer for the year.

And for those that can't comprehend why they limit the transfers, here's an example of why they do:

Friend A buys content on his 360, and plays it. (We'll call it DLC for some game).
Friend B then copies it to his 360 via memory card, does a license transfer, and plays it.

That's exactly the sort of situation Microsoft is trying to avoid, and that's why they put a limit on it. It sucks, yes, but if they didn't people would abuse the hell out of it.[/quote]
Wow!
Everybody is a troll except for you, right?
Are you willfully not reading the thread? It has been acknowledged why they do it, that doesn't make it right. Corporate rights should not trump consumer rights.
The EULA you keep referring to is in place to stop people from making copies and reverse engineering software, which is not what the OP is doing. The OP's only responsibility here should be payment for the content, not navigating Microsofts idea of how often he can upgrade his system. Again, corporate rights should not trump consumer rights.
As for the OP "can't be bothered to sign into Live", what if Live is down? Or he moves and is without internet for a time, or his internet goes down? He should just lump it and not have access to product he paid for? For the third time, corporate rights should not trump consumer rights. Are you sensing a theme yet?
Of course Microsoft has the right to reasonably ensure that it's products are not used illegally. The key word there is reasonably. The real world sometimes has issues that aren't covered by a generic EULA. They need to be able to adapt their policies and be more customer friendly. "Just accepting" the staus quo is never the right thing when their are flaws in the system.

[quote name='pulsar0510']Wow!
Everybody is a troll except for you, right?
Are you willfully not reading the thread? It has been acknowledged why they do it, that doesn't make it right. Corporate rights should not trump consumer rights.
The EULA you keep referring to is in place to stop people from making copies and reverse engineering software, which is not what the OP is doing. The OP's only responsibility here should be payment for the content, not navigating Microsofts idea of how often he can upgrade his system. Again, corporate rights should not trump consumer rights.
As for the OP "can't be bothered to sign into Live", what if Live is down? Or he moves and is without internet for a time, or his internet goes down? He should just lump it and not have access to product he paid for? For the third time, corporate rights should not trump consumer rights. Are you sensing a theme yet?
Of course Microsoft has the right to reasonably ensure that it's products are not used illegally. The key word there is reasonably. The real world sometimes has issues that aren't covered by a generic EULA. They need to be able to adapt their policies and be more customer friendly. "Just accepting" the staus quo is never the right thing when their are flaws in the system.[/quote]

Posts like this get me excited. This whole thing is a real hot button topic for me and I love to see people as outraged about these types of things as I am. If we just accept things like this, eventually this will lead to us not even owning games themselves. Hell, it's already going on in the PC world. For example, if you buy a game from Steam or even buy a physical copy of a game that requires a Steam account, you're the only one that can ever play it. You need to connect to Steam to install the software. You'll never be able to sell the game as you've used your unique code and that's it. In all fairness, yes, you can later install the game onto another computer as long as you do it on your own account, but you'll never be able to sell the software to someone. Yes, the corporations don't want to be able to make unlimited copies of it and give them out to friends, but you're still paying full price for the games. The consumer isn't seeing any added benefit to this. We're probably not far off from seeing this as commonplace in the console world (and already do with Xbox arcade games). Imagine paying $60 for a game, realizing it's a piece of crap and not being able to sell it back to Gamestop? I don't want to see that happen.

I need to transfer content again but when I did it it didn't work, most likely because it hasn't been a year since my last transfer. Is there anyway you can find out when you last did you content transfer? Hopefully online somewhere. Thanks.

By the way people who want to argue "thats what the rules state" are tools. If you just accept what any mega corp puts out as law then stock a lot of KY jelly. Like someone mentioned earlier, if it wasn't for everybody complaining we probably wouldn't even have the content transfer tool.

Well why don't you guys start a petition and over 1 year from now when they change it you can do it again. ;)

No one is saying that they like that the rule is there, BUT we understand why it is there. For example if they were to allow you to do it as many times as you would like, like YodaEXE's example than the companies that they are getting the DLC, Videos, TV shows, Movies will stop supplying Microsoft with content because they aren't getting paid, because no matter what you think THEY OWN THE CONTENT, you are just buying a license to use it.

Wish you luck.

Really?.. So I'm paying 2 bucks per song on rock band. Which is a dollar MORE than iTunes. But I don't own it? Even iTunes allows me to burn it, have a phyiscal copy of it. But your saying I pay more for a rock band track. But I don't own it?

That doesn't sound stupid to you!? Pay more for less??
Like Pulsar said on the 1st page. There should be virtually no difference between a disc copy and a DLC. Aside from the lack of disc of course.

Ok, WE GET WHY THE LIMIT IS THERE! but there should be exceptions. Especially when I had to use my "freebie" because they screwed up. And double because I just dropped 400 for another system. Each system should come with a transfer. That sounds good. A non-transferrable drm token

[quote name='YodaEXE']Wow, you're quite the whiny troll, aren't you? No, that EULA applies for EVERYTHING these days. Read the EULA for a piece of software you by for your computer. You don't own that software. You have the right to use it. That's it. Now, granted, most of the time nobody will know if you break the EULA, but the simple fact still exists that it does state that you don't own it. The same applies for EVERYTHING purchased from the Live Marketplace. To put it simply: LEARN TO READ.

That's exactly the sort of situation Microsoft is trying to avoid, and that's why they put a limit on it. It sucks, yes, but if they didn't people would abuse the hell out of it.[/quote]
While this ass ^ is technically right the EULA is subject to interpretation. I'm sure you've read Wikipedia a whole bunch Yoda, but the LAW of the EULA is on a case by case basis between the creator/owner/end user. So long story short is read the EULA for XBLA games. Best part about that is trying to find it was sort of a pain in the ass.

Yoda, if you like being fucked by government/corporations that is fine. I personally do not like being a lamb led to the slaughter. The country was founded on 9 principles and it is not un-american to question authority. Why do I bring this up? Because your post can be interpreted as a "Well just roll over and play dead". It's pathetic.

[quote name='Rev3rEND']Really?.. So I'm paying 2 bucks per song on rock band. Which is a dollar MORE than iTunes. But I don't own it? Even iTunes allows me to burn it, have a phyiscal copy of it. But your saying I pay more for a rock band track. But I don't own it?

Like Pulsar said on the 1st page. There should be virtually no difference between a disc copy and a DLC. Aside from the lack of disc of course.

Ok, WE GET WHY THE LIMIT IS THERE! but there should be exceptions. Especially when I had to use my "freebie" because they screwed up. And double because I just dropped 400 for another system. Each system should come with a transfer. That sounds good. A non-transferrable drm token[/QUOTE]
Can you play that $0.99 itunes song with 4 instruments and HD graphics? Nope. And yes, you are paying for the license of the song not the ownership of the DLC.

Now that I got that out of the way the second part I completely agree with. Or at least the part about the new system, the other part you should have contacted MS about.

[quote name='M1C13']Can you play that $0.99 itunes song with 4 instruments and HD graphics? Nope. And yes, you are paying for the license of the song not the ownership of the DLC. [/quote]

I would think that is why the song is... 2 dollars. paying more to do more. Even if that isn't the case. lets use Steam as an example. You pay roughly the same amount for the real disc as you would on Steam. so, if you purchase something on Steam, your only leasing it? for the same price?

Now that I got that out of the way the second part I completely agree with. Or at least the part about the new system, the other part you should have contacted MS about.

If I didn't think it would be a problem in the future (ok, my bad for not thinking ahead.) I would have, but the paper I got just said "Just do it yourself" (I heart paraphasing.) so I didn't think much of it.

[quote name='Rev3rEND']Really?.. So I'm paying 2 bucks per song on rock band. Which is a dollar MORE than iTunes. But I don't own it? Even iTunes allows me to burn it, have a phyiscal copy of it. But your saying I pay more for a rock band track. But I don't own it?

Ok, WE GET WHY THE LIMIT IS THERE! but there should be exceptions. Especially when I had to use my "freebie" because they screwed up. And double because I just dropped 400 for another system. Each system should come with a transfer. That sounds good. A non-transferrable drm token[/quote]
Keep in mind with iTunes you cannot re-download previously purchased items. So if you lose it you're SOL. This doesn't happen on Live, because even if you have to be online to use it, you can still re-download as many times as you want. So I'd say your example is moot, because you're paying more to get more out of it, as you at least don't have to worry about losing it.

I do think you have the right idea with a token usable only once when you buy a new system for a transfer. That would help out a number of people. The logistics of setting it up would probably be a bit of a pain though.

Yoda thanx for agreeing about the token idea.

But you ate wrong about itunes songs as I have been able to redownload tracks I have previously lost when reformatting. It did require an email. But it was responded back to in a timely manner and I was allowed to redownload the tracks I told them I know longer had after they checked and verified I had indeed purchased them already

I'm not taking sides on this debate, but I think you glossed over the fact that it isn't all your DLC. If one of your roommates DLed an album , and you want to play it, then he needs to be logged in. This is why MS has their policy. All of you would have to transfer the liscences. So unless I've misunderstood, you're wanting to play some of what you haven't payed for and some you have.

Good luck.

Well, didn't really "gloss" over it. the only content they download is Rock Band Stuff. the problem is if I set a random setlist... no matter who is logged in. unless all 3 of us are logged in, there is a good chance the random setlist drops and I have to start over. it's hugely annoying.

UPDATED: I got an Email back from an "Arnold". who told me to call customer support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX, which I've done 3 times now. Hmm..

bread's done
Back