Transformers Movie - DVD & HD DVD Sales Break Records

damn sucks that the HD-DVD/Blu Ray always get shafted out of the extras for movies during release week. Looks like I will be picking up the HD-DVD version and probably the Target Regular DVD for the Transforming DVD case.

[quote name='tenzor']damn sucks that the HD-DVD/Blu Ray always get shafted out of the extras for movies during release week. Looks like I will be picking up the HD-DVD version and probably the Target Regular DVD for the Transforming DVD case.[/quote]

FYI: There will be no Blu-Ray...Paramount is HD DVD exclusive as of August. I might have to pick up yet antother version of the DVD if the MP3 player is TF related.

[quote name='ITDEFX']a follow up to the walmart release
not so good news...

http://tformers.com/Wal-Mart-Transformers-2-Disc-DVD-Set-Revealed/8494/news.html[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't really call that bad "news", because it's not news at all.

Like I said, it was pretty damned obvious that the Wal-mart set that includes Beginnings was only going to include the 1-disc version of the movie instead of the 2-disc SE, because they aren't going to charge LESS for the 2-disc SE and the bonus, than they're charging for the 2-disc SE alone. Think, people.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I wouldn't really call that bad "news", because it's not news at all.

Like I said, it was pretty damned obvious that the Wal-mart set that includes Beginnings was only going to include the 1-disc version of the movie instead of the 2-disc SE, because they aren't going to charge LESS for the 2-disc SE and the bonus, than they're charging for the 2-disc SE alone. Think, people.[/QUOTE]

That bonus dvd BETTER be worth the extra 5 bucks!

if it's just a comic panel animation with Cullen's voice over, i'm gonna be pissed.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']For the collector in me, I'll be getting the Target Transforming DVD and the Best Buy Collectors pack as well as the HD DVD...sigh.[/QUOTE]

You're going to buy 3 versions of the same movie?

:whistle2:s

[quote name='mykevermin']You're going to buy 3 versions of the same movie?

:whistle2:s[/quote]

Yeah...basically, just because of the different extras each store offers.

[quote name='mykevermin']You're going to buy 3 versions of the same movie?

:whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

yep..

I think the target one is going to sell like crazy because of the "coolness" it provides.

Me, I might get the 2 disc from best buy, and the walmart release for the prequel disc ..then later on when I get the HD-DVD drive for the 360 the HDDVD release.

My girlfriend is gonna be pissed off when she finds out I bought two copies of the movie...

I have to work that day, so if I wake up early enough I should be able to grab it at Walmart when the doors open at 6am then head out to work. I wish I could call out but I can't :(

Hopefully there won't be a huge line at walmart at 6am!

Just checkin'...I'll be storing this for fodder if you ever mention how expensive the PS3 is, just for the record. ;)

But, hey...whatever makes you happy. I still haven't seen the movie yet, so who know? It may be so amazing and knock-my-fuckin'-socks-off that I'll run out and buy an HD DVD player just for it. Highly doubtful, but you never know.

[quote name='mykevermin']Just checkin'...I'll be storing this for fodder if you ever mention how expensive the PS3 is, just for the record. ;)

But, hey...whatever makes you happy. I still haven't seen the movie yet, so who know? It may be so amazing and knock-my-fuckin'-socks-off that I'll run out and buy an HD DVD player just for it. Highly doubtful, but you never know.[/QUOTE]

What? you haven't seen it? I've seen it in theaters at least 3 times PLUS the IMAX release. You will like it, unless you where born in the late 80's.

[quote name='mykevermin']Just checkin'...I'll be storing this for fodder if you ever mention how expensive the PS3 is, just for the record. ;)

But, hey...whatever makes you happy. I still haven't seen the movie yet, so who know? It may be so amazing and knock-my-fuckin'-socks-off that I'll run out and buy an HD DVD player just for it. Highly doubtful, but you never know.[/quote]

Well I am opening the movies for the toys, keeping the transforming package...etc. As for the actual movies, I'll give one to my nephew and I guess I could ebay or trade it here on CAG...the HD DVD is the only version I'll be watching!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well I am opening the movies for the toys, keeping the transforming package...etc. As for the actual movies, I'll give one to my nephew and I guess I could ebay or trade it here on CAG...the HD DVD is the only version I'll be watching![/QUOTE]

argh...

those toys don't even look worth it.

I mean when I bought the TF DS games during the first week, I actually GAVE those toys to my 5 year old nephew as I think they were part of the "RiD" line. blah.

[quote name='ITDEFX']argh...

those toys don't even look worth it.

I mean when I bought the TF DS games during the first week, I actually GAVE those toys to my 5 year old nephew as I think they were part of the "RiD" line. blah.[/quote]

Well I like the damaged Optimus Prime but the red Bumblebee or whatever its name is, I could do without...come to think of it, maybe I should just stick with the HD DVD version :whistle2:k

[quote name='chakan']That Target case is badass![/QUOTE]

Huh. I just looked it up to see what it was like (having delusions that it was cardboard or something). I thought it looked positively lame as hell. The lil' Bumblebee and Optimus Prime figurines that are extras (BB?) are nice, though, IMO.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well I like the damaged Optimus Prime but the red Bumblebee or whatever its name is, I could do without...come to think of it, maybe I should just stick with the HD DVD version :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of naming it Cliffjumper instead of bumblebee.

[quote name='ITDEFX']That bonus dvd BETTER be worth the extra 5 bucks!

if it's just a comic panel animation with Cullen's voice over, i'm gonna be pissed.[/QUOTE]
Uh, then be prepare to be pissed, because that's what it is. If you've ever seen any other "Digital Comic," then you'll know what to expect with Beginnings. Seriously, what did you expect it to be? A fully animated version of the comic or something? Also, it's only $3 extra (20 - 17 = 3, mmkay).

When done well, Digital Comics can be pretty damned striking. Just look at the Metal Gear Solid one, for instance. It's positively stunning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezn4Pr2kRag

(Also, The entire MGS Digital Comic has been uploaded to youtube, for anyone interested).

Here's another that's not particulatly impressive, but it does feature voice acting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC_zCuA7m34

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, then be prepare to be pissed, because that's what it is. If you've ever seen any other "Digital Comic," then you'll know what to expect with Beginnings. Seriously, what did you expect it to be? A fully animated version of the comic or something? Also, it's only $3 extra (20 - 17 = 3, mmkay).

When done well, Digital Comics can be pretty damned striking. Just look at the Metal Gear Solid one, for instance. It's positively stunning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezn4Pr2kRag

(Also, The entire MGS Digital Comic has been uploaded to youtube, for anyone interested).

Here's another that's not particulatly impressive, but it does feature voice acting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC_zCuA7m34[/QUOTE]

no i have never seen a digital comic before.

I saw that MGS one, it looked ok. If I remembered correctly the guy who did the voice of BB in the movie was doing some lines for the prequel dvd when the main dvd was going to come out. I'm assuming that walmart release was going to be it.

They could have done a short 30 minute feature since they already have the cg models from the game videos. If it started a few months before the release of the movie, it could have been done by the release of the DVD. Since we haven't seen any leaked screenies or official announcements it looks like it will be pan, push ins and push outs :=|

I usually go for the extra crap with a DVD but this time I don't know. For example one of the Pirates movies I went to get it at Best Buy for the extra disc. What sucks is they didn't have them with it when I got mine. They put them back and sold them a week later for 10 bucks each. I usuallly get them from Best Buy but for that movie I should have went to Walmart. Atleast they had a history of pirates dvd with it.

Also I have passed up HD/BluRay for some type of set. I paied 60 or 70 bucks on ebay for 300 with the Sparten helmet. Only to find a week later that the Best Buy I go to had one that they some how got in. It was not in the week the movie came out but sometime the next week they ended up with one in stock.

The thing is with this I may go for the HD dvd. The sets out there just don't seem worth it. I'm really not into geting toys and the pics of them look like crap any way. The transforming case I thought would be cool but after looking at it, it looks like crap. The Walmart and Circuit City sets will end up on youtube and really don't seem worth it anyway.

Now I'm just wondering what extras the HD dvd will have on it. I didn't see anything on here listing that. 300 had the picture in picture with the blue screen room that was only on the HD/BluRay disc. So will this movie have something like that.

[quote name='sendme']I usually go for the extra crap with a DVD but this time I don't know. For example one of the Pirates movies I went to get it at Best Buy for the extra disc. What sucks is they didn't have them with it when I got mine. They put them back and sold them a week later for 10 bucks each. I usuallly get them from Best Buy but for that movie I should have went to Walmart. Atleast they had a history of pirates dvd with it.

Also I have passed up HD/BluRay for some type of set. I paied 60 or 70 bucks on ebay for 300 with the Sparten helmet. Only to find a week later that the Best Buy I go to had one that they some how got in. It was not in the week the movie came out but sometime the next week they ended up with one in stock.

The thing is with this I may go for the HD dvd. The sets out there just don't seem worth it. I'm really not into geting toys and the pics of them look like crap any way. The transforming case I thought would be cool but after looking at it, it looks like crap. The Walmart and Circuit City sets will end up on youtube and really don't seem worth it anyway.

Now I'm just wondering what extras the HD dvd will have on it. I didn't see anything on here listing that. 300 had the picture in picture with the blue screen room that was only on the HD/BluRay disc. So will this movie have something like that.[/QUOTE]

BB use to be the place where the exclusive stuff was at. Then Walmart, CC, and Target started paying more for them. What really pissed me off was when Target got the rights to the transformers PC game. I mean what the fuck?

the transforming box looks cool but you got to remember people, it took some very creative people to design something like this.

They really , really need to reissue the original G1 line (without the REPAINTS) in the stores.. It would probably outsell the SW line in weeks.

[quote name='sendme']Now I'm just wondering what extras the HD dvd will have on it. I didn't see anything on here listing that. 300 had the picture in picture with the blue screen room that was only on the HD/BluRay disc. So will this movie have something like that.[/QUOTE]

To answer your question:
[quote name='official HD DVD info']The HD DVD is presented in 1080p High Definition with English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus and English, English SDH+, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles. In addition to the above features that will be presented in high definition, the TRANSFORMERS HD DVD will also offer the following exclusive content:

Disc 1:
-- TRANSFORMERS H.U.D. (Heads Up Display)--In this mode, viewers can
access running text-based behind-the-scenes background information
on the production during the feature. Users can also watch relevant
picture-in-picture b-roll and video with Bay, Spielberg and other
filmmakers during select sequences.
-- Transformers Intelligence Mode web-enabled features consist of:
-- Transformation Mode
-- Health Meter
-- Weapon Mode
-- Robot Bio
-- In Scene Indicator
-- Text Ticker
-- GPS

Disc 2:
-- TRANSFORMERS Tech Inspector - Gives viewers an unprecedented look
at the TRANSFORMERS robots through the exquisitely detailed models
created by ILM artists. Users can zoom in on each detail for a
closer examination and pause and change the rotation of the models.

-- Our World:
The Story Sparks - Steven Spielberg discusses his love for the franchise and early concept art for the film. Explores how the writers adapted the cartoon into a live-action movie and why Michael Bay is the perfect director for the film.
Human Allies - A look at how the actors were selected and their experiences on the set.
I Fight Giant Robots - An exploration of the military training that Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson underwent for their roles and the various stunts that the actors were asked to perform.
Battleground - A piece on the senior officials from the Department of Defense and Air Force who consulted on the film to give it authenticity and the key locations that the U.S. government provided access to.

-- Their War:
Rise of the Robots - Explores the interaction between Hasbro designers and Michael Bay to bring the toy line roaring to life.
Autobots Roll Out - Michael Bay discusses working with Chevy and its designers and the modifications that were made to the cars seen in the film.
Decepticons Strike - The film’s military advisors discuss the "toys" they allowed the production to borrow: F-22 Raptors, Ospreys and A-10 Warthogs.
Inside the AllSpark - ILM’s digital artists discuss the challenges of bringing the TRANSFORMERS to life.

-- More Than Meets The Eye:
From Script to Sand: The Skorponok Desert Attack - An in-depth look at the making of this particularly epic and challenging scene from initial storyboarding through production and visual effects.
Concepts - Early sketch concepts of the robots.

-- Trailers :
Teaser # 1
Trailer # 2
Trailer # 4

-- Easter Eggs:
Michael Bay Cameo
Girl in Dress
BayBot
Casting Mojo[/quote]

[quote name='ITDEFX']They could have done a short 30 minute feature since they already have the cg models from the game videos. If it started a few months before the release of the movie, it could have been done by the release of the DVD.[/quote]
Uhm, producing a full 30 minute CGI feature is a bit beyond the scope of something that is going to be released as a store-specific bonus DVD, wouldn't you say? CGI ain't cheap, it ain't easy, and it takes plenty of time. Something like that is just completely unrealistic to expect for this sort of bonus item (about as unrealistic as expecting a store to charge less for a 2-disc version of a movie plus a bonus third DVD, than they are for just the 2-disc set alone).

[quote name='ITDEFX']Since we haven't seen any leaked screenies or official announcements it looks like it will be pan, push ins and push outs :=|[/QUOTE]
So first you bring up how there are no screens of the feature available, and then you make a comment about what it will look like. Fascinating.

But yeah, these things are always made using still images from the comics moving around on the screen with sound effects and/or music and/or voices. Again, you need to have realistic expectations. This is a $3 bonus item, not a full-blown big-budget short film production.

[quote name='ITDEFX']the transforming box looks cool but you got to remember people, it took some very creative people to design something like this.[/QUOTE]
Eh. All it is is his arms, legs, and head are hinged, and you just rotate them out into place. It's really not that complicated, or much of a "transformation." Anyone could've designed it, really, and in fact, I remember doing projects in early elementary school that are the exact same principle (specifically, for Halloween we made skeletons out of laminated paper cutouts of the major skeletal segements, with the different segments held together at the joints using brass paper fasteners so the segments could be rotated around freely).

has anyone had ANY luck finding the original score for the movie?

It was suppose to be released TODAY 10/09/07.

No bb's in my area had them shipped to them.
Walmart does NOT have it
Target does NOT have it.
FYE does NOT have it.
Kmart does NOT have it.

God damn it, if Tower records didn't close down, I know they WOULD have had it!

[quote name='ITDEFX']has anyone had ANY luck finding the original score for the movie?

It was suppose to be released TODAY 10/09/07.[/QUOTE]
Well, I figure Oct 9th was the ship date, so it'll probably take a day or two to show up in retail, as usual.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, I figure Oct 9th was the ship date, so it'll probably take a day or two to show up in retail, as usual.[/QUOTE]

bah.

prey that the movie doesn't ship out on that day :O next week.

hmm FYE reported the release date of 10/2/07

I thought both were next week. I know if Best Buy had it I would have seen it when I was there. Could be 10/10/07. Thats when it seems as though other things are comeing out. Well at least Orange Box comes out then. I thought it was today but no place had it. Also Folklore was to come out today but like the original score for the Transformers movie no place had it. Oh well I'm going to save some cash and just get the HD DVD and maybe check eBay for the cell that is Canada only.

[quote name='ITDEFX']has anyone had ANY luck finding the original score for the movie?

It was suppose to be released TODAY 10/09/07.

No bb's in my area had them shipped to them.
Walmart does NOT have it
Target does NOT have it.
FYE does NOT have it.
Kmart does NOT have it.

God damn it, if Tower records didn't close down, I know they WOULD have had it![/QUOTE]

got damn lucky tonight!

my nearest borders book store HAD only 1 copy! Reserved it online and picked it up after I dropped my gf home from work. Use 25% coupon. 11 tracks are NOTED (by a star) that it is a different version than in film... hmm.. listening to it now..doesn't seem much different...however EXPECT a full 2 disc release down the road.

UPDATE: Just finished listen to the score... FREAKING FANTASTIC!!!! A must Buy!

a few news updates from tformers.com site

-Free MP3 Player (512mb) with purchase of the DVD from Blockbuster details.
http://tformers.com/Transformers-DVD-Free-MP3-Player-Revealed/8511/news.html

-Leaked Transformers 2 Script(may or may NOT be legit!)
http://tformers.com/Transformers-2-Story-Leaked-Clues-Hint-At-Legit-Status/8510/news.html

-The Dutch will get an extra 15 MINUTES of Footage on their IMAX release?!?!?!!

http://tformers.com/Dutch-IMAX-Gets-15-Minutes-of-Extra-Footage/8504/news.html

-have Prime send you a voice message via Voice or email!!!! :O (potential fun for this!!) WARNING: Works between 8am and 9pm ONLY :( Bah
http://optimus.transformersmovie.com/

a big thanks to the Tformers.com website!

damn Linkin!

How the hell are you going to pull off getting all dvd collectibles that day?!?!?

Unfortunitly I have to teach thug kids that day, so my best bet is to pick the walmart release at 6am then head out for work, then after work pick up the HD-DVD release (even though I don't have an hd dvd player) That's a safe plan. The target release will probibly be around for a while.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6399

the walmart details

transformerswalmart3.jpg

if anyone has yet to see it the lithograph(SP?) does come out in the US also(someone had said canada only at one time). It is in with this weeks ad and says minimum 30 per store and it is for ANY of the transformer dvd sets. So if you get the HD DVD of the movie you will get this. So HD here I come. I just hope they still have that thing when I get there. If not I will just hold off till I get the cash.

[quote name='ITDEFX']damn Linkin!

How the hell are you going to pull off getting all dvd collectibles that day?!?!?

Unfortunitly I have to teach thug kids that day, so my best bet is to pick the walmart release at 6am then head out for work, then after work pick up the HD-DVD release (even though I don't have an hd dvd player) That's a safe plan. The target release will probibly be around for a while.[/quote]

I doubt I'll be able to...but I'm going to try.

OK...

I just saw a bit (like 3 seconds) on the CW NOW. It is INDEED a stylized moving comic as others have mentioned. The cover artwork is MISLEADING as it features 3 CG transformers... just be careful for those who are thinking this is a full 22 min CG animated feature.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The cover artwork is MISLEADING as it features 3 CG transformers... just be careful for those who are thinking this is a full 22 min CG animated feature.[/QUOTE]
Oh come on. It's cover art, not a screenshot. I wouldn't call it misleading.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Oh come on. It's cover art, not a screenshot. I wouldn't call it misleading.[/QUOTE]

well this ain't the 80's with all that crappy video game cover art. If you look at the original cover art for the movie (not that great), you can tell, ok...the transformers are CG, and the humans are real and the city is real(photoshopped but whatever). the cover art for the prequel dvd is 3 cgi transformers. Bad cover..but I guess they didn't want anyone to know it is an animated comic..but oh well. As long as it has a good story and voice over, I think it will be worth it ;)

That mp3 player looks like crap. The litho looks like about the only thing worth geting. Bad thing is I wont get off of work till 5:30 home by 6 then to best buy at 7. It could be gone by then. Also one of the best buys I goto has a bad habit of not puting lithos out or saying they have them. So in other words if they dvd comes with something but it is not in a box with the dvd you wont get it. They will try and sell it a week or so later or say they are out when a week or so later they are selling the stuff. Oh well if I don't get the litho then it will be on ebay. Just hope I wont have to pay more then 20 bucks.

Well, if your lucky, BB might just have a shit load left over weeks after this movie is released. Remember the Litho they gave out for Episode 3/Battlefront 2? They had TONS of them like almost two months later. Same with War of the Worlds book, they had SHIT LOADS of them that they gave away for free.. hell my local best buy STILL HAS THOSE BOOKS :O. I am crossing my fingers and hope they will sell for a penny in another week or 2.

Got an Imax less than half hour away from me but still havent gotten the chance to see Imax Transformers. Thursday is the farthest in the future i can see showtimes for so if i get to Wenesday and more showings arent listed i guess i gotta go Thursday.

Damn...BestBuy.com had the DVD with the free Lithographs online, but now it seems they are gone...I was going to get one but I waited too long. I was thinking about sneaking out for break tomorrow at work at 10am when they open but I have a freakin' client appt at 10am that could last up to 2hrs....arghhhhh!

bread's done
Back