Transformers The Game - Gen. Disscussion & Info

Although the game is not out, here's the Target codes to unlock "Hidden Surprises":

Enter any of these codes on the "NEW GAME" screen to unlock hidden surprises:

D = Down, U = Up, L = Left, R = Right

During any Optimus Prime mission enter the following:

D, D, D, U, U, R, R, R

During any Starscream mission enter the following:

R, D, L, L, D, U, U

During any Jazz mission enter the following:

L, U, D, D, L, U, R

http://transformers.target.com.edgesuite.net/img/GEN_1.pdf

OK, I know this is the 360 forum, but anyone know if the PC version is going to be based on the next gen version of the game, or the current gen? If it's based on the 360 version (and can have the same graphical quality), I may pick it up instead, as it will likely be at least half the price.

Seibertron was at an Activision event that showcased the game, and wrote down a ton of bulletpoints:

Notes from the Transformers Game Event:
  • The opening cinematic that Activision showed us is mind-blowingly awesome. It opens on Cybertron. The computer animation is simply beautiful. It looks like there was a fully rendered Cybertron in the style of G1, not the style that's on TransformersMovie.com.
  • Activision showed us a cinematic that features Bumblebee landing on Earth. Optimus Prime states Bumblebee's mission. We've seen this mission objective via radio intercom used in the past for the 2004 Transformers Armada game from Atari. Bumblebee then scans a Camaro that is alone in an empty parking lot.
  • Bumblebee battles Swindle
  • Activision demo'ed a lot of the transformations.
  • The game makes use of a radar that shows your location, a map of the area as well as any enemy targets which are marked with their faction symbol. The radar is similar to that used in other major platform games.
  • The Transformers can climb the sides of buildings.
  • There is a ton of interaction with the city and such.
  • Every 20 energon cubes you obtain unlocks a different mission/objective, unlockable characters, features, etc.
  • The game has a lot of Easter eggs throughout the game such as a building called "Seaspray's fish and chips" or "Hound's Hot Dogs".
  • Activision referred to the faction symbols as "shields" which I don't think I've heard anyone do before.
  • Next, Activision showed us a cinematic with Barricade, Mikeala and Sam.
  • "Protect and Serve" mission objective: defeat Barricade and get to Sam before him. Story: The Decepticon Barricade has posed as a human Police vehicle in an effort to harm. More ...
  • Optimus Prime announces what Bumblebee should be doing. Peter Cullen has done an incredible job with his Optimus Prime voice. It totally sounds like his G1 self.
  • Barricade and Bumblebee battle around Tranquility high school.
  • Trivia: tranquility sharks
  • The transformation sound is similar to what we hear in the movie ... there is no use of the G1 transformation sound.
  • While Bumblebee and Barricade are battling, the action moves to a cinematic with them on a highschool football field. The action is beautfil
  • One of Bumblebee's mission is called "Plight of the Bumblebee" (a nod to Marvel Comics' Transformers #16).
  • Something from the "Plight of the Bumblebee" comic book is available as an unlockable feature (not sure if it's the full comic or cover art).
  • Activision compared the interactive environment like a "ball in a china shop scenario"
  • "Unfriendly Skies" Objective: ground Starscream and defeat him. Story: Starscream is after the AllSpark. Shoot him out of the sky ...
  • Optimus Prime to Jazz: "Starscream ... take him out."
  • The game uses small Autobot or Decepticon shields on the radar to identify the enemy's location.
  • Starscream is HUGE compared to Jazz ... but in an entertaining "omigod the bad guy is so big" kind of way.
  • Jazz is voiced by an African American voice actor.
  • Activision's Dreadwind character battles Jazz.
  • Activision's Daniel talks about working with Hasbro to collaborate with Aaron Archer and crew for the movie game toys.
  • The characters in the game have shadows.
  • The police chase after Jazz while battling the Decepticons.
  • "Hound's Hot Dogs" on Main St. during Jazz's battle with Dreadwind.
  • Next cinemtatic that was showed to us: Decepticons versus Jazz (Blackout and Dreadwind ... Starscream takes off during Jazz's battle).
  • Jazz then battles Blackout, who looks phenomenal.
  • Unlockable characters ... G1!!! (Including G1 Optimus Prime plus repaints. I also wrote down Megatron but we weren't shown this and I don't remember this being mentioned), television openers
  • Their intention was to satisfy the fans.
  • G1 Optimus Prime looks beautiful ... it's incredible to see G1 Prime rendered like this!
  • The cars have weapons and nitro.
  • G1 Optimus Prime can fire missiles.
  • "Heavy Weapon" Objective: defeat Shockwave
  • Shockwave is a purple triplechanger complete with a G1 styled head.
  • Missile turret, helicopter and a robot.
  • Shockwave's transformation is awesome.
  • Jazz voices to Optimus Prime via radio transmission for his mission.
  • Optimus Prime quotes: "I can't let him get away", "You will not cause anymore destruction, Decepticon."
  • Activision wanted to create a game that plays up the movie and the fans.
  • "Transformations actually mean something in the game."
  • Amazing destruction technology ... almost fully interactive environment. Very impressive!
  • The complexity of the transformations really surprised Activision.
  • A lot of information wasn't available (i.e. voice of Megatron) so they worked with what they had at the time.
  • Activision was able to use a lot of the ILM assets, which ILM/Dreamworks/Paramount was more than happy to share.
  • Tom: "game gives a lot of backstory to the movie that was never shot."
  • Peter Cullen (re: working with welker again): "It was fantastic, has always been when I work with Frank. We work well together. Frank's kind of like a fuse ... you just kind of never know when he's going to blow up. but he never does. It's always in a good way."
http://seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=10686

"Just a quick TRANSFORMERS: The Game update we thought you would be interested in. This Sunday at 11 p.m. EDT Cartoon Network’s “Adult Swim” will feature a special night of “Robot Chicken” programming with “Robot Chicken: Star Wars” airing at the top of every hour and each airing (11 pm – 3 am) will feature an exclusive 60 second behind-the-scenes look at the making of TRANSFORMERS: The Game as well as a TRANSFORMERS: The Game 60 second exclusive CGI trailer."

Achievements look similar to Spidey 3's. Play the game, get the hidden crap, get all points. I wish more games would have creative acheivements, instead of this, but hey, it's a nice bonus anyways. "4. Transform and Roll Out
You've transformed for the first time." could be something challenging like "Beat all missions with a combined number of transformations less than X". A challenge for the more hardcore. Now I know this is a movie license game and as such they make sure almost everyone can complete it, I'm just wishing for some creativity in acheivements is all (for example, I have insane amounts of love for Guitar Hero 2's acheivements).

Unfortunately, I've been spoiled by the next gen and these graphics are bleh....If this wasn't a movie game where there was a time constraint, I feel like this game would've look amazing.

Here's the 2 interviews that are on XBLM:

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0o1WegIpFVk[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5YQ3ZjjJEWc[/MEDIA]

The most exciting news I heard today, apparently Megan Fox is the same age as me and grew up in my hometown. I gotta check my yearbooks to see if she went to any of my schools.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just got the call from GS, this should be in tomorrow morning!!![/QUOTE]

Same here! I'm still undecided on playing it now or wait until after I see the movie.

I see this game leveling out at...hmm...68.4% at gamerankings.com. I know that kind of statement will be read as inciteful and will trigger defense mechanisms left and right here, but all I'm sayin' is I'm waiting for its inevitable third Amazon DotD appearance four months from now when it's $24.99 or less. And then I'll reconsider.

I think that summer movie tie-in games are as bad as ever, if not as bad-looking as ever. But go ahead, keep endorsing!

whoah, that sucks. I picked up the Cybertron edition during lunch but now it seems it's going back. I wanted it to be good but I knew better.

I'm tempted to take my Cybertron edition back too, but I'm debating whether I'm enough of a collector just to keep it for the bonus material.

Also, if anyone played the DS and PSP versions and liked those you should probably like this too. The DS especially seems to be getting praised, but I think has some of the same problems.

edit: whoops was posted on the page before

Still the low review is a bit disappointing. Not that you can ever expect much from a game based off a movie, i still held some hope :(

Maybe ill give it a rental some day

Not sure who these guys are but they rated it 83%
Transformers fans have gone without a movie for over 20 years. They have gone without a good game for almost as long. While the gameplay is somewhat shallow, and the racing elements sometimes frustrating, there is plenty to say about getting a Transformers game with high production value and an all-star voice team. Activision and Traveller’s Tales have brought the new movie to life with a decent beat-em-up title that doesn’t succumb to the movie tie-in curse.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=786499

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Not sure who these guys are but they rated it 83%
[/QUOTE]

Looking at their actual review makes me think that we should probably get rid of assigning numbers to reviews because there's no way that this list of Pros and Cons justifies an 80+ score:

[quote name='GamingTrend']Pros:

* Peter Cullen!
* Frank Welker!
* Mission structure keeps the action moving
* Graphics are top notch for most characters
* CGI intro from Blur raises the bar
* Fantastic sense of scale

Cons:

* Mission balance varies wildly
* Framerate can plummet if there is too much action
* Repeating voices tend to nag
* Floaty driving physics can make racing a pain
* Debris physics can make things fly all over (under?) the place, including you
* Jazz sounds too young – we’ll miss you Scatman Crothers
* Chris Latta is hard to replace as Starscream
* Too many timed missions
* Fairly short at 8 hours[/QUOTE]

OK, so on the plus side, it looks really pretty and has some great voice acting. And there's good "mission structure."

On the minus side, the missions are poorly balanced (despite their good "structure"), framerates occasionally plummet, physics aren't good for the racing or the debris, there are too many timed missions (again, despite their good "structure"), and the game is fairly short.

So they've got one Pro that's essentially negated by two of their cons (who cares if the missions "keep the action moving" if they're poorly balanced and repetitive). And nary a mention of the actual controls in combat in the Pros/Cons section (though in the main review they describe them as "pretty well behaved"). Not good signs.

Overall, my impression is that this score of 83 should be a 60 at best.

Wow, I shoulda kept scrolling on that page. Damn it...my collector side still wants to get the CE version of this game...aw fuck it I'll pick it up and post my impressions tonight.

[quote name='BigHow']Looking at their actual review makes me think that we should probably get rid of assigning numbers to reviews because there's no way that this list of Pros and Cons justifies an 80+ score:
[/quote]
They might as well have done the following:

Positives
+ Box looks cool
+ You get to play as a transformer
+ Learn more about the movie before it premiers
+ The transforming "ehk keh kah koh" sound
+ OPTIMUS PRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Negatives
- Graphically Challenged
- Shallow Gameplay
- $60 Price Tag
- Not very fun to play
- No multiplayer
- Not very pretty
- Really not fun
- Boring missions
- Did we mention $60 for this thing?
- Seriously, not fun
- Spiderman 3 = better value

All-in-all we give this game a solid 95/100; so go out there kids and transform your game playing experience -- "ehk keh kah koh"!!

I just picked this up. Normally I stay far away from movie based games, but I'm just a big Transformers nerd. I haven't played it yet, due to me being in work. Any impressions so far?

I still want to keep the damn Cyb Ed just because I know I won't find it later. Hell, it can't be worse than Beast Wars game on the PlayStation and I payed full price for that one too.

[quote name='deadite76']Does the CE come in a metal case or in a metallic sleeve?[/QUOTE]
cardboard sleeve w/ foil "chrome" finish.

Well, I've started to play the game and so far the first few levels seem decent. I think its easily as good as the Armada game so far. The only bad things I've noticed are a few collision detection issues and the driving isn't the greatest, but I didn't think it was too bad. Flying as Blackout was a lot better than the PSP version.

Graphically I was fairly impressed with all the crap blowing up and the detail of the characters. The Scorponok level was pretty interesting too.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Well, I've started to play the game and so far the first few levels seem decent. I think its easily as good as the Armada game so far. The only bad things I've noticed are a few collision detection issues and the driving isn't the greatest, but I didn't think it was too bad. Flying as Blackout was a lot better than the PSP version.

Graphically I was fairly impressed with all the crap blowing up and the detail of the characters. The Scorponok level was pretty interesting too.[/quote]

Sounds good to me. There have been low reviewed games that I've really enjoyed in the past. I still got about 3 hours till I can play it. Can't wait.

It doesn't sound that bad to me either. I really thought the game would get more praise, but it's still possible that GameSpot and other sites will give it 6's and 7's... Hopefully.

I'm not saying its the greatest, but part of the shit reviews is that people expect too much. If you don't try to make comparisons, are a big Transformers fan, and realize that even the source material isn't that deep; I think its fairly enjoyable.

bread's done
Back