Trials HD / Limbo / Splosion Man - Triple Pack $10 at Best Buy

Started playing Limbo tonight and found out they named it that was because the more accurate...

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! A LOT! SERIOUSLY, YOU WILL fuckING SPEND MORE TIME DYING THAN CHARLIE SHEEN DOES BANGING HOOKERS! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE OVER AND OVER IN THE MOST fuckED UP WAYS SO THAT WYLE E. COYOTE WILL EVENTUALLY CALL YOU UP AND SUGGEST PERHAPS YOU SHOULD STICK TO BEJEWELED BLITZ!!! HAVE WE MENTIONED YOU'RE GONNA DIE AND DIE AND fuckING DIE OVER AND OVER AND OVER?!?!? JUST SAYING SO THAT WHEN YOU fuckING GET fuckING fuckED BY A SPIDER FOR THE 50,000TH TIME, YOU DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T fuckING WARNED!!!!

...wouldn't fit on the box. Seriously.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Went ahead and placed an order for store pickup. A friend just recently got a 360, so he'll be happy.

Edit: I must say, I really enjoy being able to pay with Paypal through the Best Buy site. Haven't bought from that site in years, and I don't remember them having that before.[/QUOTE]
Yah i havent bought anything from bestbuy in a long time and to see paypal was a pleasant surprise.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Started playing Limbo tonight and found out they named it that was because the more accurate...

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! A LOT! SERIOUSLY, YOU WILL fuckING SPEND MORE TIME DYING THAN CHARLIE SHEEN DOES BANGING HOOKERS! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE OVER AND OVER IN THE MOST fuckED UP WAYS SO THAT WYLE E. COYOTE WILL EVENTUALLY CALL YOU UP AND SUGGEST PERHAPS YOU SHOULD STICK TO BEJEWELED BLITZ!!! HAVE WE MENTIONED YOU'RE GONNA DIE AND DIE AND fuckING DIE OVER AND OVER AND OVER?!?!? JUST SAYING SO THAT WHEN YOU fuckING GET fuckING fuckED BY A SPIDER FOR THE 50,000TH TIME, YOU DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T fuckING WARNED!!!!

...wouldn't fit on the box. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

Really... it's not that bad (imo anyway) There are games you'll die a hell of a lot more in.

I take back everything I said bad about Terraria.

Limbo is garbage. Holy hell what a waste of my time. Maybe one half decent puzzle in the whole lot and everything else is a shameless expression of a mangling little boys fetish or pretending that somehow they are high art for drawing the entire thing in gray and black shadows.

I've read 'interpretations' of the game before now. Seen dozens of morons proclaiming it as a once in a lifetime thing. Art! Art! Now that I have played it, these banal memories are all reverberating in my head like razor blades trying to tear their way through my skull. What IDIOTS.

All histrionics aside, it's dull. It's just dull, lifeless. They don't know what a puzzle is. They try their hand at gravity warping nonsense at the end and never come close to anything resembling clever. It's trial and error, and every obvious solution you can come up with is just slowed down by your retard little leprous child's slow gait. And there's no art here. No obfuscated message. No rising action. Falling action. Climax. Drive. There's NOTHING to suggest ANYTHING apart from a kid pulls legs off of some insects and dies a lot in unnervingly gruesome ways.

It's not innately offensive except for the idea they thought this crap was worth $15 and that they got suckers to pretend their stupid little bohemian charade was art.

Yes, I AM mad. Very mad. Anyone who read my rants about Terraria. I wholeheartedly apologize. Every time I think indie gaming has reached a sinkhole, the ground gives way and the last bottom is now a precious handhold, the only fleeting refuge before a gaping abyss.

Did I mention how MAD I am?

[quote name='DirkBelig']Started playing Limbo tonight and found out they named it that was because the more accurate...

...wouldn't fit on the box. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

Just wait till you play 'Splosion Man and Trials HD.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I take back everything I said bad about Terraria.

Limbo is garbage. Holy hell what a waste of my time. Maybe one half decent puzzle in the whole lot and everything else is a shameless expression of a mangling little boys fetish or pretending that somehow they are high art for drawing the entire thing in gray and black shadows.

I've read 'interpretations' of the game before now. Seen dozens of morons proclaiming it as a once in a lifetime thing. Art! Art! Now that I have played it, these banal memories are all reverberating in my head like razor blades trying to tear their way through my skull. What IDIOTS.

All histrionics aside, it's dull. It's just dull, lifeless. They don't know what a puzzle is. They try their hand at gravity warping nonsense at the end and never come close to anything resembling clever. It's trial and error, and every obvious solution you can come up with is just slowed down by your retard little leprous child's slow gait. And there's no art here. No obfuscated message. No rising action. Falling action. Climax. Drive. There's NOTHING to suggest ANYTHING apart from a kid pulls legs off of some insects and dies a lot in unnervingly gruesome ways.

It's not innately offensive except for the idea they thought this crap was worth $15 and that they got suckers to pretend their stupid little bohemian charade was art.

Yes, I AM mad. Very mad. Anyone who read my rants about Terraria. I wholeheartedly apologize. Every time I think indie gaming has reached a sinkhole, the ground gives way and the last bottom is now a precious handhold, the only fleeting refuge before a gaping abyss.

Did I mention how MAD I am?[/QUOTE]

U mad?

...sorry. Simply couldn't resist.

I've played, and beat, Splosion Man already but decided to pick this up while I was out today for the other two games. Trials is just as infuriating as Splosion Man because i refuse to complete a level unless I do it without dyine, and I can already tell im going to have to break that habbit fast. After that i relized that they just picked the 3 games that kill you the most and threw it into a box. [Maybe it's a ploy by microsoft to make you so angry with these games that you throw and break your controllers so that we go out and buy more. I know, the joke was lame -_-

Trials is freakishly infuriating but it's a solid product. I fail to see how its physics at all approach reality nor do I much like the tricky waggles you are meant to do to bend the physics to your advantage. It's a quality game but I hate its guts.

I'm only about halfway through world 1 in Splosion Man and it's growing on me despite my best efforts to hate it. Doubly so because it's a decent mouthwash from the awful Limbo

[quote name='RollingSkull']Trials is freakishly infuriating but it's a solid product. I fail to see how its physics at all approach reality nor do I much like the tricky waggles you are meant to do to bend the physics to your advantage. It's a quality game but I hate its guts.

I'm only about halfway through world 1 in Splosion Man and it's growing on me despite my best efforts to hate it. Doubly so because it's a decent mouthwash from the awful Limbo[/QUOTE]
I had a love-hate relationship with Splosion Man, it got so hard at some points that I just had to quit. Then I couldn't let a game get the better of me so I started playing again and forced my self to finish. I'm trying to stop my self from buying Ms. 'Splosion Man but I know as soon as it goes on sale I'm going to.

By the way, please play more indie games then pm me how much you hate them, it's good reading :D

[quote name='kidrocklive']I'm probably the only weirdo that bought this even though I already own all three... I got it PM'd at my work for the $10 used my discount to make it $9 then another coupon to make it $7. So I figured for the $7 ($5 if you could the 160 pts included) its not so bad, or at least that's what I tell myself lol.[/QUOTE]

your not alone I bought this pack earlier today even though I have all three as well on live but saw one lonely copy on the shelf and said to myself it was waiting for me to buy

All sold out at the Best Buys near me as now/last checking of the store inventory online. That's alright, watched a couple reviews on each of the three games. I don't think I'd ever pay the original price for each of these.

My opinion from the reviews: Trials HD is like Excite Bike, Limbo is kind of creepy, and Splosion Man seems to be the only one worth the $10.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Trials is freakishly infuriating but it's a solid product. I fail to see how its physics at all approach reality nor do I much like the tricky waggles you are meant to do to bend the physics to your advantage. It's a quality game but I hate its guts.

I'm only about halfway through world 1 in Splosion Man and it's growing on me despite my best efforts to hate it. Doubly so because it's a decent mouthwash from the awful Limbo[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way for Trials. It's fun when the levels are easy but can get frustrating easily when it gets tough
I liked the limbo demo but wasn't going to pay full price for it and splosion man was 200 msp or something so I bought it
trials was also on sale
in any case, I wouldn't not have bought ANY of these arcades given their ridiculous full price but for $10 you can't go wrong
if you hate the game, then sell it for $15 easy
just my 2cents

[quote name='whiptcracker']Just wait till you play 'Splosion Man and Trials HD.[/QUOTE]I already had Exploding Dude and had fun with it, but probably knocked off on it before it made my life miserable.

Not sure what the total rage against B&W Kid Dies Horribly. (A Lot!), but for all the sheer, "Whoops. Stepped on a bear trap. Whoops. Fell into a pit and got impaled. Whoops. That block makes something exceedingly large and heavy fall on you and turn you into applesauce.", gameplay, I like the grainy, misty black-and-white graphics and Grand Guignol humor of the deaths.

[quote name='ooga']Except that I did not buy it for $8. I understand your point, but I normally don't purchase MSPs with cash. So the 160 points don't really offset the amount I paid for the disc. Also, as someone who typically buys stuff for 400, 600, or 800 MSPs, I am not sure how I am going to spend an odd amount like 160 points. I don't buy avatar crap, so unless I can figure out how to get another 240 points to get the total up to 400, those points are pretty useless to me. The rewards program is not a viable way to do this since it takes forever @ 20 points/month doing surveys.

It's sad, but I don't have any friends that have 360s. So no one I know can benefit from my philanthropy. :)[/QUOTE]

Get an indie game. Most of those are around 160.

For those of you that bought a copy and have all three games already, or those of you who are done playing them, I'll buy it off of you, PM me (I'll probably forget to check this thread)

anyone know the trade-in value at GS? If its around $8 i would be happy with trading it back in a few days. Amazon is around that but took way to long to credit my account 14days. and it did come with a card that has a 2day pass and 160ms points.

hmmm...I thought I remembered seeing this in-store a couple days ago, but BB.com is only saying ship to store. I'll call my store in an hour and if they don't have one I'll have one shipped to my house since I'm silver. Thanks for posting.

edit: guess I'd have to ship to store, shipping to home isn't offered.

Funny, it says ships to store in 3 to 5 days, but when I select a couple stores, they both say pick up on 8/23/2011. Long time to wait, but I suppose I have enough to play in the meantime.

You should call and check their stock. I guess my BB got some more in cause it says Available Now, but it still messes up the pickup date.

If anyone is still looking to get on this deal, just price match at Target. Most of them at least in the northwest area have plenty of copies unlike Best Buy, who doesn't seem to be ordering anymore copies to stores

[quote name='nickawesome']If anyone is still looking to get on this deal, just price match at Target. Most of them at least in the northwest area have plenty of copies unlike Best Buy, who doesn't seem to be ordering anymore copies to stores[/QUOTE]

How exactly do you go about price matching at Target?

[quote name='Tsel']How exactly do you go about price matching at Target?[/QUOTE]

Just bring a copy of the Best Buy print ad for this week and it should work without any issues. I even got an extra dollar off for some reason when I bought it today. Don't know if that is policy or just a subtraction mistake the cashier made.

I ended up picking up the last copy at my store... Already had 'Splosion Man and Trials... For 10 bucks for Limbo and some MS points, not too bad especially when I can let my little bro play the games on his own xbox.

Success! I was able to exchange my $10 copy of Dark Void from the B2G1 free sale last week for this Triple Pack.

I don't think I would have paid the $30 asking price for these three games. Maybe, if it was Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, and Bangai-o HD all on one disk.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I take back everything I said bad about Terraria.

Did I mention how MAD I am?[/QUOTE]

Limbo is decent. I know that on the Internet you are supposed to either love something to pieces or hate it with a fiery passion, or just "meh" it with a too-cool-for-school attitude, but the truth is that Limbo succeeds in some ways and fails in others. I like the art direction not because it's artistic but because it's atmospheric. Some of the puzzles are fun while others are counter-intuitive. The main problems are the trial-and-error progression that ensures lots of deaths and disincentivizes exploration, and the fact that the game loses focus and atmosphere as soon as it goes indoors in the second half and becomes more about completing box puzzles in a factory (yawn) than surviving a creepy wilderness. I'd give the game a B-. It held my attention throughout the short playthrough, but there are certainly much better games out there.

FYI - My store received additional stock of this triple pack even though the online stock tool indicated it was UNAVAILABLE. If you want a copy, call the store and see if they got more in stock.

I used store pickup and got mine yesterday. I used a $10 gift card that I received for free with an order from Christmas, I only ended up paying .79 cents for the tax. Very happy. Thank you OP!

Note that Amazon bumped the trade in value to $8.25

[quote name='illennium']Limbo is decent. I know that on the Internet you are supposed to either love something to pieces or hate it with a fiery passion, or just "meh" it with a too-cool-for-school attitude, but the truth is that Limbo succeeds in some ways and fails in others. I like the art direction not because it's artistic but because it's atmospheric. Some of the puzzles are fun while others are counter-intuitive. The main problems are the trial-and-error progression that ensures lots of deaths and disincentivizes exploration, and the fact that the game loses focus and atmosphere as soon as it goes indoors in the second half and becomes more about completing box puzzles in a factory (yawn) than surviving a creepy wilderness. I'd give the game a B-. It held my attention throughout the short playthrough, but there are certainly much better games out there.[/QUOTE]

The frequent checkpoints and almost exorbitant deaths REWARD exploration in an almost perverse way.

And there was maybe ONE puzzle in the whole of the game I might have had fun with and not one that stands out in my mind. It was not especially bad but it was utterly bereft of the quality that separates good games from tripe. Doubly so because EVERY puzzle had me spend 20 times longer actually shoving crap around than it actually took me to figure out what to do. I understand that the genre can't institute immediate thought placement of everything, but the pacing here was just ruined by the constant drawn out moving crap of the puzzles. That crap should have washed out in the early PS2 era.

None of that draws my ire. The atmosphere kinda draws my ire. It's empty, pointless atmosphere that does not even pretend to tell an obscured story, or even have fragments of a pretend story for the audience to figure out that the writer never wanted to bother with. Combine that with the downright silly $15 price at launch and you have a game with a horrendously overinflated sense of self-importance and a whole darned army of fanboys from reviewers to indie groups to gaming communities somehow thinking this is a one of a kind experience, GotY, best XBLA game, etc etc. THAT burns my toast

A mediocre game with a cutesy, insubstantial style getting such accolades makes me wonder, what if Hydrophobia, instead of all that goofy neon sci-fi hallways, just did away with all the plot, dialogue, color, etc and had just layered on Limbo's overbearing, overdone color palette and style, such as it was, that it might have encountered greater success. I really do wonder if people eat this nonsense up or if it is just an isolated incident.

I would spend more time wondering how Duke Nukem Forever manages to sell hundreds of thousands of copies and less how an Arcade game that you don't like was so well-received.

I enjoyed Limbo. I have no agenda. I'm sure many others are the same way. The art/atmosphere is only gimmicky in the way that any part of any video game is gimmicky.

picked up my copy right after receiving the email that its available. It was supposed to come by 8/21 but they got the shipments early.

I requested in-store pick-up and the website said it would be available late August, I got an email today saying it was ready to be picked up. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Fantastic deal.

RollingSkull makes some good points. Well said. You articulate your ideas really well.

I obviously won't do as good of a job with my opinion, but here goes:

I liked Limbo. I had fun playing it and figuring out stuff.

[quote name='RanchLizard']I liked Limbo. I had fun playing it and figuring out stuff.[/QUOTE]

Fun?! FUUUUN!?! LIMBO?! FUN?! YOOOOUR OPINION IS WRRROOOONG AAAGAGJJJJHJHJHJHJHJHJTJRHRGHGGGRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!

[quote name='blindinglights']Might try to match this at Walmart tomorrow if they have it. Is it in the print ad?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.

[quote name='Wedgie']Picking up my copy tomorrow. Heard good things about all three of these games.[/QUOTE]

Same here man. I was going to buy it used for $18, but for $10. It's a steal!

bread's done
Back