Trip to Paris -- any tips?

Moxio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
As the title states, I'll be going to Paris for five days. I've read the books and done the reasearch, but I'm keen to hear some personal experiences.

Any particular restaurants to visit/avoid? Are pick-pockets that bad? Will my DS charger work in my room's power outlet?

If you've got any experience or any tips, please let me know. Useful phrases, etc. are welcome also!

Thanks!

Stay in Paris. South of there lies the Compton-esque district of France. We look at them as wusses, but those guys wouldn't hesitate a mugging. One of my friends went there once, and he came back paralyzed from the waist down.

DO NOT be rude to the cab drivers, I was there 2 winters ago and my mom was so scared she thought he was gonna pull a gun on us because he started talking about Bush and my mom was disagreeing with him, we ended up giving him a 20 euro note for about a 7 euro ride we just wanted to get out. Make sure to visit the Louvre, and if you can the Eifel Tower, when I was there the line for the tower took all afternoon to get in. Don't eat spaghetti the wrong way in the restaraunt(no idea what the right way is) but apparently I ate my spaghetti wrong and the people at the table next to us kept staring at me and then one of the older ladies got up and started teaching me how to roll the noodles right, but I still didn't understand and she left really frustrated with me. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer for you.

Always act like your shit don't stink and constintly let them know how much better you are then them... they love that shit.

and take a pair of these
starsandstripes7hd.jpg

When I was there, one of my mom's friends had someone slice the side of her purse and took her passport, wallet, everything. She had a habit of pinching it against her side with her elbow in case someone tried to grab it and run; she didn't even notice until hours later. My dad thought whoever did it was a genius :lol:

My half brother lives in southern France and from his stories, I've learned not to take any trips away from the larger cities; they're not very fond of Americans.

Using your Visa or Mastercard will probably get you the best exchange rate... Try to avoid changing money as much as you can. They really stick it to you on the exchange rates. Also, notify your credit card providers that you will be going to France. They might automatically lock your card as a "security measure" if it is used overseas without advance warning.

I love the Chinatown there.. or Asian town. Expensive shit though.

Eat their sandwiches! (I don't know the French term).

If you buy tourist shit.. check out some of the deals.. you'll somehow find something cheaper.

Visit whatever landmark famous place. It's crowdening.. but fun.

Oh... lemonade = Sprite.

DRINK ORANGINA!

Visit the Chateau? It's gorgeous when I went.. a few years back in the summer.

Just act normal ish. Don't mix English and French.. people use to look at me weird. Although I speak my other language and French.. it turned out all right.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']I love the Chinatown there.. or Asian town. Expensive shit though.

Eat their sandwiches! (I don't know the French term).

If you buy tourist shit.. check out some of the deals.. you'll somehow find something cheaper.

Visit whatever landmark famous place. It's crowdening.. but fun.

Oh... lemonade = Sprite.

DRINK ORANGINA!

Visit the Chateau? It's gorgeous when I went.. a few years back in the summer.

Just act normal ish. Don't mix English and French.. people use to look at me weird. Although I speak my other language and French.. it turned out all right.[/QUOTE]

I love orangina!

be sure to visit...

st. denis
l'arc de triumph
st. chapelle
notre dame
the pantheon

you can do those 5 in a day, just take the metro and plan a couple hours at each

of course the louvre, but a tip on the louvre. go early in the morning and plan to spend a whole day there. the place is so big it will blow your mind away and there is no way you can see everything, let alone appriciate a lot of it, in just a few hours

if you have the time be sure to check out versaille, you have to take a train outside of paris. but the place is magnificent.

the eiffel tower is a no brainer, go at night and get wasted under the lights, everyone else does. just dont buy over priced wine from anyone, you can go to a liquor store and get it much cheaper.

pickpockets are always a problem, mostly on the metro because the trains get so crowded, keep your hands in your pocket if your standing, thats the easiest way to do it. or better yet get a money belt, they are like 20 bucks and i never once thought anyone would be able to get my stuff. theyd have to knock me out and find it.

dont worry about being american, everyone there is really nice. just like everyone else i think they just hate assholes, so as long as you arent rude or dont scream how you love bush youll be fine. just learn to say "parlez-vouz anglais" and theyll either say no or yes and you can say merci.

oh and orgina does in fact rock. and eat doner, as much as you can... oh how i miss doner.

[quote name='vietgurl']My half brother lives in France and from his stories, I've learned not to anywhere in France; they're not very fond of Americans.[/quote]

Fixed it for you.

Are the work riots still going on? If so, grab a rock.

You should go to Versaille. Its like a 1/2 hour away if you go by subway.

BTW, get a subway pass. Its a quick, cheap, and easy way of getting around the city.

Try to get some of the white bois over there to rap on film. For some magical reason, it sounds like reggae -- terrible-er raggae, to boot.

[quote name='Kendal']Fixed it for you.

Are the work riots still going on? If so, grab a rock.[/QUOTE]

Haha, thanks. I was kinda drunk last night.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm checking out most of the things on your lists so I'm doing something right! xDD

Last things before I go, though:

1) Any useful phrases? (pronunciation included would be great)

2) Are pickpocketers that bad? I've got a money belt and shit but I'm scared as hell.

[quote name='Moxio']Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm checking out most of the things on your lists so I'm doing something right! xDD

2) Are pickpocketers that bad? I've got a money belt and shit but I'm scared as hell.[/QUOTE]

I stayed in France for about 6 weeks as an exchange student, assuming things haven't changed in the past 10 years or so...

1. Check out the Louvre. Even if you're not into museums, you must make an exception!

2. A moneybelt is a great idea; keep your passport and money in it at all times; better yet use traveler's checks. Be extra vigilant when you're in the metro.

3. Try not to stick out, especially in a way that will stand you out as an American tourist.

4. Whenever addressing anyone, play it safe and use the polite plural second person (i.e. "vous" etc..)

Have fun!

[quote name='Moxio']Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm checking out most of the things on your lists so I'm doing something right! xDD

2) Are pickpocketers that bad? I've got a money belt and shit but I'm scared as hell.[/QUOTE]

1. like i said before, if you dont speak french, just ask people, "parlez-vouz anglais?" and if they say yes, speak english, if not just say "merci".

also, at a restaurant say, "je voudrais soixante-douze (swa-see-saunt dooze) bieres" and have a great night.

2. yeah, people get pickpocketed, but dont worry about it. honestly a money wallet is very very safe. people who get pickpocketed are drunks, or older people, and purses are easy targets. but man, nobody even tried to mug me, and i was in a shady ass neighborhood and one night i was shocked we didnt get mugged and everything we had on us stolen, instead we got some great hash from like 20 african guys at 3 am. oh man, if youre staying with your family though you probably wont stay in those areas.

Seriously rad time to be going to France... :applause: Maybe they'll have a general strike while you're there. That'd be sweet.

bread's done
Back