Tritton AX720 at BestBuy 129.99

spiderdog

CAGiversary!
Just was at Bestbuy and bought a pair of Tritton AX720 headphones.
They are going for 129 dollars. I have a pair of the AX360 and these blow them away. You can really tell were other players in games are coming from which direction. These are not even on their website yet. So if you are looking for a pair they got them in now.

Yeah,... they weren't at my local BB. Only one of the Blue shirts knew what I was even talking about. I just bought a G35 a couple weeks back, and man do they sound good, both in game play AND doing audio. The AX 720 will have to really be on the ball to top the G35. Hope they do,... I got 'til September 11, before my 30 day return/exchange window closes. I will miss the G Keys though. But the Xbox compatibility will quickly make up for that. They say they're PC compatible,... wonder if that extends to laptops as well. Or maybe it was the AX 900 that was PC compatible, I'll have to re-read some stuff to make sure.

To the OP, have you had the G35 on your head? If so, how do you compare them to the G35?

[quote name='Japakneez']they are ps3, pc, 360 compatible but the reviews are average. 130 is normal price[/QUOTE]

So you're say both the 700 AND 900 can migrate back-n-forth between the pc and the 360? That's great. Hey I was just reading about a AX 180 and an AX 400. What are those? Not finding a lot of stuff on those nomenclatures, I'm suspecting they're models that found their way to E3 but got lost on the way to the store shelves. I did read something about a wireless from Tritton, maybe it's one of those. If it is, we prolly won't see any of them until around Xmas.

[quote name='pasko']Is this still active?
Couldn't find it at one of my BB[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking they haven't updated their website yet, and some stores haven't stocked their shelves. They're out though,... two have written reviews on Amazon. No wait,... I think they might have been reviews on the new Turtle Beach X41, which also seems to be promising but not quite as flexible as the new Trittons are claiming to be. I like their switch from IR to RF. As a former owner of the X4, the IR tied you down almost as bad as wires. Lot's of noise and audio degradation if you ventured off the path. Totally in conflict with what wireless is suppose to do for ya,.... license to venture off the path.

To answer a few quetions:
To the OP, have you had the G35 on your head? If so, how do you compare them to the G35? No I have not,I have the turtle Beach X1 and Tritton AX360 and the Tritton AX720 have more Bass then the AX360 and not tinny that the AX360 have. And Dolby Digital that the TurtleBeach X1 aren't.

about a AX 180 and an AX 400: The AX180 are just RCA (red and white input) stereo. don't know about the AX400. The AX180 are at BestBuy Stores for 69.00.

Yes I have seen the AX 720 and Ax180 at multple BestBuys still not on website. I think the Official release is Sept 1.

About the TurtleBeach X41:
My friend bought a pair of those and the Tritton AX720. He returned the TurtleBeach X41 days later after testing both he kept the Tritton AX720. 4 reasons:
The fit kept sitting on his ear not over like the Tritton.
The X41 kept Popping and cracking when voice chatting on Live.
He kept hearing what he called bleed through basically some echoing.
And he forgot no fault of the X41 that they were not PS3 compatible Chat.

Man,... I thought all the cracking, popping and white noise stuff would be fixed with their jump to IR. I dunno man, some people swear by their Turtle Beach sets, but I wasn't happy with my time with the X4. But enough of that. I think I'm gonna jump on the AX 720, or maybe even a 900 if I can find one, so that I can A/B them with the G35. Even if I have to return the G35's I have now as my 30 day window begins to close down upon me, and re-purchase a pair. Like I said before, I'm hoping the new Tritton's spanks the G35,... they seem to be way more flexible than the USB G35. I'm also kinda interested in someone doing a audio comparison between the multi-driver Pro line and this new single driver line. Just wondering how they stack up against each other as far as sound goes,... audio and game play. Thanks for your reply!

[quote name='whataboutbob?']i haven't found a clear answer yet....are the tritton's wireless or not??[/QUOTE]

No,... neither the AX720 or the AX900 are wireless. Best way to look at them at this point, well until we get more info, is that the AX720 is an AX Pro with single drivers and the AX900 is an AX Pro with single drivers and more guts in the processing box. Both are emulating surround sound with Dolby's lastest gen processing as opposed to the AX Pro sending individual channel output to individual drivers,... well except for the .1 stuff. They're merged and sent to the each subwoofer in each can. As I understand it, there's no left SW and separate right SW channel data. Not sure, but I think the 720 & 900 lost the ability to delay channels too. Makes sense though,... no more six individual channels. What's to delay?

The more I think about it, the less excited I get. They're still pretty much forcing you to do optical (720), then they're down mixing 5.1 material coming in thru optical into two channels, then playing tricks with it, your ears AND your brain, courtesy of Dolby. I'm still gonna take a look-see!

I think the AX 400 is slated to be wireless. According to the YouTube clips, it doesn't even look like it belongs with the Tritton family. But that could be a camo prototype.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']i havent found a clear answer yet....are the tritton's wireless or not??[/QUOTE]

Wired, but not as many wires as the Tritton AX Pro. A much cleaner wiring setup.

BB's website has been updated showing they're available for purchase. No pics or reviews yet. Think I'll wait to hear from folks who have actually had them on their heads. I'm seeing Logitech G35 prices are starting to drop,... hard finding a pair at suggested retail now. Used to be the other way around.

I bought the AX 720's 2 weeks ago at my local Best Buy. I can tell you they are fantastic. There is only 1 wire connecting to the headset from the box and it is detachable when you are done using the headphones so you can store them. I was using the X4 by turtle beach and these blow them away. In fact I prefer wired headphones over wireless because you will get better sound and no hissing or feedback and won't have to worry about changing batteries etc. A few days later after buying 720's I saw the X41's at the same best buy and was tempted to purchase them but I didn't because they are wireless and were $80 more. They said they are 7.1 Dolby which I was confused because the Xbox and games only support 5.1, now I could be mistaken on that. Anyways, I am very happy with the Tritton's. Easy setup, just one wire to the headset and to the base and they sound great. If you have any questions just let me know

Well, my BB had them,... and I kept to the plan and exchanged my Logitech G35 for the AX 720. After a day with them, I really miss the G35's. As far as audio performance, these Trittons can't hold a candle to the G35. As far as flexibility, the G35 can't hold a candle to the Trittons. A sad state. My plan now is to hold on to them a few more days, just in case these things need a healthy break-in period. But right out of the box,... they sound not so good. Bass is tight but very small. The ear pads are even worse than those on the AX Pro line,... plus, you don't get a set of the leather pads in the box. You're stuck with the fabric ear pads. Unlike with the AX Pro, the chat cable connecting the Xbox controller to the AX 720's inline controller is not coiled. Bad. This cheaper uncoiled cord isn't as neat, and adds to the wires clutter. The flexible mic boom is a welcome. While not giving great control over where your mic is positioned, it certainly better than the rigid ones included with the Pro line. The AX 720's control box is easy to understand and easy to set up. It seems to do a nice job of adding Dolby technology to what you hear, and you can easily tell what's going on inside the box and what's being fed to the box by reading the four idiot lights on the box's front panel. They report this information to you by changing color and lighting up in different sequences. For example, when the fourth light is white, you're in game/movie mode, when the fourth light is green, you're listening to Dolby Headphone processing,... I think! The white plastic was a terrible decision, makes the plastic look too much like,... well plastic! At least the metalic colors of the Pro line gave the feeling of more durability and less vanilla.

In the end,... I would say these aren't ready for purchase yet. And at $129, just too damned expensive for what you're getting. Thirty more dollars and you get Tritton's flagship AX Pro's But then the AX Pro's aren't as flexible as these AX 720's. I can do a Rosetta Stone session on my laptop, get up and go into the family room and do an hour or so of Halo 3 or COD on the Xbox 360, without ever having to take these things off of my head. That's something all of the headsets should be doing.

As far as a wishlist, well I wished they would have put better ear pads on these things. There are tons of audio leakage with these things. My wife complains that she can hear me when I play Halo 3,... kind of a general failure as far as every headset's prime directive. I think this leakage also plays a major role in it's weak bass response as well. I would gladly give up an extra pair of exchangeable ear pads if it meant the included ear pads were tip top and top notch. I wish the G6 adapter would have terminated into an USB instead of the pink and green 3.5's,... if nothing else, the Tritton 'T' would glow in the dark like they do on the AX 720's first cousins. But really, a USB adapter would have given us the reasonably duplicate the stuff in the AX 720's control box with a simple software driver install. As it stands now, using the 3.5 mm G6 adapter on a laptop means you turn your $130 headset into a product no more agile than Microsoft's LifeChat LS 3000. Oh,... and did I mention that these things sound worse than the LX 3000 in a laptop using the adapter? Yeah, I might have.

I think I'm either going to return these and re-purchase the Logitech G35, OR, I might just spend the extra 30 bucks and get the AX Pro's. But then I'll have to get a second cheap set to use exclusively with my laptop,... oh yeah, the $19 LX 3000 from Microosoft. Nah,... just kidding!

[quote name='MicroCool']I bought the AX 720's 2 weeks ago at my local Best Buy. I can tell you they are fantastic. There is only 1 wire connecting to the headset from the box and it is detachable when you are done using the headphones so you can store them. I was using the X4 by turtle beach and these blow them away. In fact I prefer wired headphones over wireless because you will get better sound and no hissing or feedback and won't have to worry about changing batteries etc. A few days later after buying 720's I saw the X41's at the same best buy and was tempted to purchase them but I didn't because they are wireless and were $80 more. They said they are 7.1 Dolby which I was confused because the Xbox and games only support 5.1, now I could be mistaken on that. Anyways, I am very happy with the Tritton's. Easy setup, just one wire to the headset and to the base and they sound great. If you have any questions just let me know[/QUOTE]

Maybe I got a bad pair, 'cause it's hard to believe anyone would define what's coming out of my two AX 720 cans as 'fantastic'. And it could be that I missed a beat at set-up. After reading your post, I went back over my set-up footsteps and I think I hit everything dead on,... I think! Switch set to the processing box, Xbox dashboard setup correctly,... all checked and in 'go' status. Same weak sound. I think after reading your post, I'm gonna go exchange these for another pair.

Lemme ask you. Did you notice a marked improvement of your play back performance after a few days of use? I keep getting conflicting views on this whole thing with headsets/phones requiring a break-in period before they sound their best. Another thing I wanna bounce off of you. The four lights on the front of control box, do they seem purple-ish instead of white at certain angles? I ask this because I'm beginning to wonder if there maybe a problem with my box,... maybe it's internal organs might have gotten jared during packaging or shipping and these lights being mis-aligned possibly being a clue. Maybe the purple-ish white lights are normal and just a result of turning on all colors to get white and there not blending completely.

But I gotta tell ya, it's becoming increasingly harder for me not to just spend the extra 30 bucks and walking away with Tritton's AX PRO.

OK guys, I have to say that the AX 720's are very good. I purchased them at best buy last week and feel they do a great job of "simulating" positioning in games very accurately. I spent a few weeks researching everything and decided that I didn't want to spend $240 for the Astro A40's everyone's been raving about for the past year. I wanted to get the AX PRO based on the "idea" of true surround, but I decided to just pick the 720 up at the local store. First off as I purchased this knowing that it would be not the best headset out there... I thought it would be good, but not great. I have an Xbox 360 AND A PS3 and primarily play COD4, COD5. Anyway, when I plugged it in, I was impressed, but still wondered how $30 bones more could get me the AXPRO. Anyway, I ended up buying the AXPRO (which I received yesterday) with the intentions of returning the 720.

Long story short. THE AX 720 IS SUPERIOR SOUNDING to the AXPRO (bear in mind that I'm only a gamer... no music). My AXPRO is the newest revision of the system too. It has the weird power brick with the screw on plug with 2 break out cables, it also has the new flexible mic and the ability to turn off the Headset from the remote (all bonuses.... so I thought). I've spent at least 5 hours trying to fine tune the AXPRO and it just doesn't cut it for me. If you were to blind fold me, I would pick the superior sound and positioning of the AX720. Whatever the hell they did (tritton), they did it well and whether there intention is to have it sound better than their flagship... not sure. Either way, the axpro's are going back. I'm very very dissapointed because I like the cool adjustable channels (bass is louder on the axpro), but not as clean and tight... just muddy when you turn it up. The redesign is sweet with the one power supply, remote shutoff and flexible mic, but its the sound that really matters for me.

If I were to put the sound qualities of the AXPRO into words, I would say the game sounds are definitely more "SEPERATED", almost to the point where is makes it more confusing to pinpoint where a sound is coming from. I play TONS of hours on COD so I know what I'm talking about regarding the benefits of sound positioning. After a couple hours on the AXPRO, I was able to determine what the rear back and rear right back only if I turned my soldiers head in the game left and right real quick.. I guess if you got use to it it would become easier, but it just didn't sound natural even though it suppose to be true 5.1 Also, the high ends seem ear piercing. I like my game loud, but when its loud the upper range seems to split your brain in half so I had to settle at a medium volume (and yes I tinkered with all the settings for each channel and the time delay for the surround and center).

Now the sound of the ax720's were impressive when I first got it. When compared to the AXPRO's they are AWESOME. To the poster who stated the G5 was much better than the 720 he bought... Your doing something wrong or your source setup isn't right. Granted I run consoles.. I hear a lot of PC people complain about not so good sound when paired with surround headsets. The best part of the ax720 other than the sound is the break away cable near the headset so you can take a break to run to the bathroom or answer the phone without having to remove the headset. the headset also looks much nicer than the grey AXPROs IMO.

Anyway, Tritton did a wonderful job on this and have no doubt that ASTRO A40 is shXtting their pants right now. If enough people listen to these headsets at 129 ASTRO will go belly up. I'm very satisfied with them and glad I compared them to the AXPRO. I'm sure that others may disagree with me, but if your a COD player... trust me the 720 will improve your game WAY WAY more than the axpro.

Take everything that is said on these forums as opinions. Even mine... don't take someone's word for anything... do the comparing yourself.

[quote name='XphoenixX']OK guys, I have to say that the AX 720's are very good. I purchased them at best buy last week and feel they do a great job of "simulating" positioning in games very accurately. I spent a few weeks researching everything and decided that I didn't want to spend $240 for the Astro A40's everyone's been raving about for the past year. I wanted to get the AX PRO based on the "idea" of true surround, but I decided to just pick the 720 up at the local store. First off as I purchased this knowing that it would be not the best headset out there... I thought it would be good, but not great. I have an Xbox 360 AND A PS3 and primarily play COD4, COD5. Anyway, when I plugged it in, I was impressed, but still wondered how $30 bones more could get me the AXPRO. Anyway, I ended up buying the AXPRO (which I received yesterday) with the intentions of returning the 720.

Long story short. THE AX 720 IS SUPERIOR SOUNDING to the AXPRO (bear in mind that I'm only a gamer... no music). My AXPRO is the newest revision of the system too. It has the weird power brick with the screw on plug with 2 break out cables, it also has the new flexible mic and the ability to turn off the Headset from the remote (all bonuses.... so I thought). I've spent at least 5 hours trying to fine tune the AXPRO and it just doesn't cut it for me. If you were to blind fold me, I would pick the superior sound and positioning of the AX720. Whatever the hell they did (tritton), they did it well and whether there intention is to have it sound better than their flagship... not sure. Either way, the axpro's are going back. I'm very very dissapointed because I like the cool adjustable channels (bass is louder on the axpro), but not as clean and tight... just muddy when you turn it up. The redesign is sweet with the one power supply, remote shutoff and flexible mic, but its the sound that really matters for me.

If I were to put the sound qualities of the AXPRO into words, I would say the game sounds are definitely more "SEPERATED", almost to the point where is makes it more confusing to pinpoint where a sound is coming from. I play TONS of hours on COD so I know what I'm talking about regarding the benefits of sound positioning. After a couple hours on the AXPRO, I was able to determine what the rear back and rear right back only if I turned my soldiers head in the game left and right real quick.. I guess if you got use to it it would become easier, but it just didn't sound natural even though it suppose to be true 5.1 Also, the high ends seem ear piercing. I like my game loud, but when its loud the upper range seems to split your brain in half so I had to settle at a medium volume (and yes I tinkered with all the settings for each channel and the time delay for the surround and center).

Now the sound of the ax720's were impressive when I first got it. When compared to the AXPRO's they are AWESOME. To the poster who stated the G5 was much better than the 720 he bought... Your doing something wrong or your source setup isn't right. Granted I run consoles.. I hear a lot of PC people complain about not so good sound when paired with surround headsets. The best part of the ax720 other than the sound is the break away cable near the headset so you can take a break to run to the bathroom or answer the phone without having to remove the headset. the headset also looks much nicer than the grey AXPROs IMO.

Anyway, Tritton did a wonderful job on this and have no doubt that ASTRO A40 is shXtting their pants right now. If enough people listen to these headsets at 129 ASTRO will go belly up. I'm very satisfied with them and glad I compared them to the AXPRO. I'm sure that others may disagree with me, but if your a COD player... trust me the 720 will improve your game WAY WAY more than the axpro.

Take everything that is said on these forums as opinions. Even mine... don't take someone's word for anything... do the comparing yourself.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks Phoenix for the post and first impressions. And yeah, you're right I did have some settings going on that kinda muddied the waters. This HP laptop I got has that God aweful Andrea IDT HD Sound card built in. I neglected to set it's EQ flat and turn off all the enhancements like bass boost and other such non-sense. Since the G35 were USB, I total forgot to pay any attention to it. They did sound better after doing this, I will admit. But still, they don't deliver the punch of Logitech's G35,... sorry. Like you, I found myself in the position of being able to A and B these two. Also like you I do slightly more than half my gaming on the Xbox, and sadly the G35 only work in the PC world. But unlike you, I have begun to do more and more of my movie watching on the Xbox, taking advantage of Netflix and some other stuff. I'm thinking the AX Pro's would do better than AX 720 with movies,... you agree? At any rate, I must adjust my opinion of the 720 since puting the IDT controller back to default. I'm still eyeballin' the AX Pro's. At only $30 more, I'm tempted.

On another note, I had heard that the AX Pros only come wtih one brick now. Thanks for confirming. You said you had a flexible mic,... was it the same black rubber one that comes with the 720? Or was it color keyed to the match the Ax Pro? The black doesn't look that bad on our 720's, mainly because they're white, not sure how'd that would look on the Pro's.

I have a question for you Phoenix, or any other AX Pro owner out there. When you use the G9 adapter, and connect to your 5.1 sound card, do the headphones themselves still require power? Is it they only require power if connect to the control box? Sound cards don't normally have power outs,... do they?

[quote name='XphoenixX']OK guys, I have to say that the AX 720's are very good. I purchased them at best buy last week and feel they do a great job of "simulating" positioning in games very accurately. I spent a few weeks researching everything and decided that I didn't want to spend $240 for the Astro A40's everyone's been raving about for the past year. I wanted to get the AX PRO based on the "idea" of true surround, but I decided to just pick the 720 up at the local store. First off as I purchased this knowing that it would be not the best headset out there... I thought it would be good, but not great. I have an Xbox 360 AND A PS3 and primarily play COD4, COD5. Anyway, when I plugged it in, I was impressed, but still wondered how $30 bones more could get me the AXPRO. Anyway, I ended up buying the AXPRO (which I received yesterday) with the intentions of returning the 720.

Take everything that is said on these forums as opinions. Even mine... don't take someone's word for anything... do the comparing yourself.[/QUOTE]
Your Opinion/Review is spot on! exactly what I feel about the AX720. Also I have the AX360 and the highs are tinny and also confused about the seperation of sound on the seperate spekers in each ear. This can confuse me where others are at in COD4 and 5. As to where with the AX720 I am more aware where other players are at. I also think the Bass on the AX720 is very good and tight. Also to ericpd, The lights on my box are white not purple. To those who don't know, the G35 will not do Chat on consoles (PS3 and Xbox 360) why would you even compare or consider that? My AX360 will not do chat on PS3 and it drove my friends/Clan nuts. And not seperate chat control for Xbox Live I couldnt hear what they where saying half the time with the AX360. ericpd correct me if I'm wrong but there is no chat control with the G35's also? So Chat would all be mixed in with Game sounds and music?

[quote name='ericpd']Hey thanks Phoenix for the post and first impressions. And yeah, you're right I did have some settings going on that kinda muddied the waters. This HP laptop I got has that God aweful Andrea IDT HD Sound card built in. I neglected to set it's EQ flat and turn off all the enhancements like bass boost and other such non-sense. Since the G35 were USB, I total forgot to pay any attention to it. They did sound better after doing this, I will admit. But still, they don't deliver the punch of Logitech's G35,... sorry. Like you, I found myself in the position of being able to A and B these two. Also like you I do slightly more than half my gaming on the Xbox, and sadly the G35 only work in the PC world. But unlike you, I have begun to do more and more of my movie watching on the Xbox, taking advantage of Netflix and some other stuff. I'm thinking the AX Pro's would do better than AX 720 with movies,... you agree? At any rate, I must adjust my opinion of the 720 since puting the IDT controller back to default. I'm still eyeballin' the AX Pro's. At only $30 more, I'm tempted.

On another note, I had heard that the AX Pros only come wtih one brick now. Thanks for confirming. You said you had a flexible mic,... was it the same black rubber one that comes with the 720? Or was it color keyed to the match the Ax Pro? The black doesn't look that bad on our 720's, mainly because they're white, not sure how'd that would look on the Pro's.[/QUOTE]

The axpro mic is color keyed grey, but is the same flexible mic as the 720.

[quote name='spiderdog']Your Opinion/Review is spot on! exactly what I feel about the AX720. Also I have the AX360 and the highs are tinny and also confused about the seperation of sound on the seperate spekers in each ear. This can confuse me where others are at in COD4 and 5. As to where with the AX720 I am more aware where other players are at. I also think the Bass on the AX720 is very good and tight. Also to ericpd, The lights on my box are white not purple. To those who don't know, the G35 will not do Chat on consoles (PS3 and Xbox 360) why would you even compare or consider that? My AX360 will not do chat on PS3 and it drove my friends/Clan nuts. And not seperate chat control for Xbox Live I couldnt hear what they where saying half the time with the AX360. ericpd correct me if I'm wrong but there is no chat control with the G35's also? So Chat would all be mixed in with Game sounds and music?[/QUOTE]

Yeah,... that's what I was afraid of, my lights in movie/game mode are white-ish with a taint of purple, prolly a result of a mis-alignment. Spider, it's worst than what you think, the G35 won't communicate with the Xbox or PS3 at all,... chat or gameplay. When I got the G35's I was focused on PC gameplay only. Only after did I expand my requirements to finding something that would do consoles as well as PC. Just wished I could find something in this price range with the punch and fidelity of the G35 and the flexibility and design of the Tritton,.... AX Pro OR AX 720. So worrying about chat separation with the G35 is your last worry, they don't work with consoles at all. If doing consoles is important to you, don't even think about the G35. I did do a google to see if there was anything out there designed to connect the G35 to the Xbox,.... nothing I could find.

Can you answer my question about the AX Pro headsets still requiring power if the G9 adapter is being used? Thanks, it's kinda important at the moment as I think about what I'm gonna do.

[quote name='m0rphix']picked up a pair of 720s at best buy for $114 after the 12% off reward zone that started today.[/QUOTE]

Good idea, I just bought mine so they should give me the discount if I go back and try today.

How are these things compared to, say, standard mid-high level headphones like Sennheiser HD650s? I'm primarily interested in getting them so that I have VC while using headphones.

I was using a pair of HD-595 plugged into my receiver. These do not feel as nice but sound great (little more muffled feeling but that is more due to the open ear design of the HD-595), direct optical input and mic support are big +'s and they run about $80 cheaper then the HD-595.

I am not an audiophile or anything but the AX-720 are well worth the $115 I paid for them.

After reading this thread and figuring that I needed to get a headset for the PS3 slim, I picked up the AX 180 last night with the 10% coupon. Only used it for a few hours between last night and this morning, and so far I'm impressed.

Wanted to get the 720 but my wife wouldn't budge for the $130 price tag :)

Finally took back the Tritton AX 720 and picked up the new X41's from Turtle Beach. Guess I'll give those a try. Haven't played with them yet as took a trip to Hersey Park today. Hoping to hook-em up tomorrow, but even that may prove difficult as all my little cousins will be here and they usually leave a wake of broken stuff behind. So I might have to wait 'til those bastards go home before un-boxing the TB X41's. Since my last post, I went over to a friends house and gave his AX Pro's a second and third test drive. I hear what you're saying Phoenix about the separation and all, but in return for much better fidelity, I think I can train my ear to deal with the increased separation. Those AX Pro's carry a whole lotta bass,... not quite as much as the G35's but way more than the AX 720. I think maybe it's got something to do with how the G35's do a much better job of isolation than the Trittions. When I put the G35's on, the outside world and silenced almost completely. Slide on either of the Trittons and you can hear everything around you almost as well as you can with them off. Not good for low frequency reproduction,... not good at all. when Logitech labels their headsets as 'Closed Ear', they mean it.

Now the X41 is a single driver design as well. So all the advantages I'm learning from your posts should also carry over the TB X41,... right? Please say "Yeah"! I only paid 10 buck over what I would have paid for the AX Pro's, so that's not bad for what I consider the closets I'm gonna get to getting fidelity close to the G35 and the flexibility of the Trittons. Plus after reading up on the X41, they're more like the AX 900 than they are the 720's, because the transmitter sports an analog line-in. No RCA line-out, but there is a 3.5mm line out that pumps Dolby processed stuff like I'm assuming the analog RCA line-out jacks do on the AX 900. I also read that the TB's use 50mm drivers as opposed to 40mm drivers. That can only be a good thing I'm thinking. Being untethered is plus.

ericpd, waiting to see what you think about the X41's.

Here are some things I posted,
My friend bought a pair of those and the Tritton AX720. He returned the TurtleBeach X41 days later after testing both he kept the Tritton AX720. 4 reasons:
And he forgot no fault of the X41 that they were not PS3 compatible Chat.

So ECA is supposed to have free shipping and 20% off and I want to use it on a pair of these but the site keeps saying "code coming soon". Anyone else had any luck?

[quote name='spiderdog']ericpd, waiting to see what you think about the X41's.

Here are some things I posted,
And he forgot no fault of the X41 that they were not PS3 compatible Chat. [/QUOTE]

The X41 is very much PS3 compatible. TB includes a USB cable specifically for PSN Chat in addition to the 2.5mm cable with the inline mic volume/mute module for XBLive Chat. My brother says it works pretty good.

As for my thoughts about the X41,... well I like the way they sound and being wireless is tip top! When I first pulled it out of the box, they felt almost toy-like while handling them for the first few minutes. Didn't take long to realize that the feather-weight feeling was prolly a design goal more than a sign of cheapness. Since the X41 is a single driver headset pushed by Dolby surround, I was hoping to get good bass response,... especially since the X41 sports 50mm drivers over the 40's in the AX 720 and G35. I was pleasantly surprised to hear more bass than I heard from the AX 720's, but still not as clean, crisp and punchy as that I heard from the G35's.

The transmitter was nicely outfitted,... I like that it has an analog side to it. But when connected the line-in RCA jacks to my laptop, I got a loud static hum along with the MP3 files residing on my laptop. When I used a cable to connect the mic to my laptop's mic in jack, the hum almost doubled itself. Again, the hum is static, meaning it's volume is constant and doesn't increase or decrease based on volume gain. I'm hoping this is something that can easily be addressed. Otherwise, the X41 would prove to be as limiting as the G35's. Being able to migrate between my laptop and the Xbox is important.

I was also a little disappointed in the volume. Xbox was fine, but DVD and movies were just a little too low, and unless I'm missing something, you can't adjust volume gain on the digital side of the transmitter,... just he analog side. I also wished they would have stayed with the leather ear pads, as I believe they do a better job at isolation. The crackling and popping can be caused by it's proximity to any wireless network component. I had to move it from the FiOS rounter, but once I did, the popping and crackling stopped. Don't know anyting about 'bleed', but I can also hear some light echoing. But it doesn't bother me that much,... but the hum definitely does.

That said, I think the X41's are very good headsets for the Xbox, wish connecting it with my laptop was cleaner. I've been told that by them being wireless, noise and hum is gonna be part of the game.

I like them, but if I can't resolve that terrible hum on the analog side, I will
have a hard decision to make. Keep'em or cut'em loose in favor of the AX Pro's.

ericpd:
Have you tried th Astro A40's
I would like to know how those compare.
I didnt know X41 work with PSN. That's a plus.

[quote name='spiderdog']ericpd:
Have you tried th Astro A40's
I would like to know how those compare.
I didnt know X41 work with PSN. That's a plus.[/QUOTE]

No I haven't tried the A40's,... beyond the line I drew in the sand as far as price is concerned. I'm afraid that if I do and they sound as good as their price suggest, I'll get stupid and step over that line. Not happenin',... not really wanting to hear what they have to say. I'm a scared to. LOL!

Something I neglected to put in my previous post about the X41's. I think the X41's is better served when compared to the Tritton AX 900 rather than the AX 720's. Since the headset for the 900's and the 720's are identical in every respect, the difference between the two Tritton models lie only in their processor box and the added features of the box in the AX 900 package. According to Tritton's web site and all the reviews I've read on it, the X41 tranmitter/processor box meets and exceeds those added features of the AX 900. For example, the AX 720 box offers only a digital in/out path. With Tritton, you have to step up to the yet to be released AX 900 to get both digital and analog in/out paths. the X41 transmitter has both. There are two other areas where the X41 tranmitter offers more than the Ax 900 processor box too. So comparing the X41 to the Ax 720 is not a very fair comparison,... however, since the AX 900 is still not available, the comparison IS useful I guess.

But I'm still left wishing I could get the performance of the G35 in the form of something as flexible as the X41 or the AX 720. My real wet dream is being able to afford buying both Logitech's G35 AND Tritton's AX Pro. If I could do that for 200 bucks give or take, I'd jump in a heart beat.

[quote name='spiderdog']Found this on Turtle Beach site:
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx41/faqs.aspx

Can I use the X41 with a PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii?
You can use the X41 to hear the game audio, just as you would on the XBOX 360. However, the chat feature won’t work on the PS3 because it’s not compatible with the PSN chat connection.[/QUOTE]

Then I guess you were right. Now I'm thinking the USB cable I pulled out of the box was actually for power. I don't do PS3 so I just relied on my little brother's comment. He prolly just got game play from the optical and left it at that, or maybe I heard more than he said.

I just came back from looking at the X41 transmitter, and guess what, there's no USB port nowhere to be seen, so again Spiderdog, you're right on the money bro!

Can someone tell me if its worth it to tear open the component cable that comes with my xbox in order to use both HDMI and the component cable in order to try the AX720? I am using HDMI currently and in order to use the AX720 I need to split the box open on the component cable to use its optical port.

I am currently using my steelseries 5H headset from PC gaming plugged into my speakers. Unfortunately, I dont get any spiffy sound processing or the ability to chat on XBL. So I wear the cheap microsoft headset around my neck with the mic angled upward. This setup works,.. I just wonder how much I am missing without the dolby processing.

Either way, a stereo headset is a lot better than speakers.

OK- I finally broke down - tore my component cable apart and am now running these along side the HDMI cable.

ALL I CAN SAY IS HOLY SMOKES.
I havnt gamed yet,,. but just booting the xbox on was amazing. I had to take the headphones off and check that the sound was coming from them. It felt like the sound was coming from in front of me,.. not from a stereo headset. Truly amazing. More to come.
Edit.
Yeah this headset is a keeper. Ive never experienced 3D sound on a headset before. I am amazed. I played 1943 for a few hours tonight. Great sounds. Inline chat/game sound volume controls are separate. The microphone boom is sturdy and feels well put together. My head is starting to ache though. This headset grips the head a little too tight. The ear cushions are soft and comfortable but the grip is a bit tight. I am just glad I dont have to put batteries in this thing like the wireless Turtle Beach. This headset wins is great and I think its reasonably priced. For audiophile reference, over the years I have owned a logitech headset for the PC. I transitioned to the SteelSeries5Hver2. I also own ShureE2Cs for music and Boss On Ear Noise canceling headphones for commuting. The AX720 is definitely a product worth checking out, even if you have to split your component cable housing to run it along side an HDMI cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='learjetz']Can someone tell me if its worth it to tear open the component cable that comes with my xbox in order to use both HDMI and the component cable in order to try the AX720? I am using HDMI currently and in order to use the AX720 I need to split the box open on the component cable to use its optical port.

I am currently using my steelseries 5H headset from PC gaming plugged into my speakers. Unfortunately, I dont get any spiffy sound processing or the ability to chat on XBL. So I wear the cheap microsoft headset around my neck with the mic angled upward. This setup works,.. I just wonder how much I am missing without the dolby processing.

Either way, a stereo headset is a lot better than speakers.

OK- I finally broke down - tore my component cable apart and am now running these along side the HDMI cable.

ALL I CAN SAY IS HOLY SMOKES.
I havnt gamed yet,,. but just booting the xbox on was amazing. I had to take the headphones off and check that the sound was coming from them. It felt like the sound was coming from in front of me,.. not from a stereo headset. Truly amazing. More to come.
Edit.
Yeah this headset is a keeper. Ive never experienced 3D sound on a headset before. I am amazed. I played 1943 for a few hours tonight. Great sounds. Inline chat/game sound volume controls are separate. The microphone boom is sturdy and feels well put together. My head is starting to ache though. This headset grips the head a little too tight. The ear cushions are soft and comfortable but the grip is a bit tight. I am just glad I dont have to put batteries in this thing like the wireless Turtle Beach. This headset wins is great and I think its reasonably priced. For audiophile reference, over the years I have owned a logitech headset for the PC. I transitioned to the SteelSeries5Hver2. I also own ShureE2Cs for music and Boss On Ear Noise canceling headphones for commuting. The AX720 is definitely a product worth checking out, even if you have to split your component cable housing to run it along side an HDMI cable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I purchased the cheaper AX 180's, and I'm considering swapping them out for the AX 720, but that's almost double the price. I think the biggest difference is the 5.1 sound?

I'm actually very happy with the AX 180's, the gaming sound and chat are both amazing. Just trying to talk myself into spending the extra $60 :cool:

My advice to you is simple. Return the AX180's to try the 720s but do not commit to owning them until you hear the 5.1 sound. If its not worth the extra cash, go back to the 180s.

[quote name='learjetz']My advice to you is simple. Return the AX180's to try the 720s but do not commit to owning them until you hear the 5.1 sound. If its not worth the extra cash, go back to the 180s.[/QUOTE]

Good advice,... listen to him! But I think you will find going from stereo to 5.1 is like makin' the jump from JV to Varsity,... especially in game play. You should sense a smaller improvement when it comes to some DVD's, however, with music, 5.1 can sometimes sound worse than stereo. It all depends on your personal tastes I guess. Like he says,... try'em out and hear for yourself if it's worth the cost of upgrading!

[quote name='IronSerif']Thanks for the info. I purchased the cheaper AX 180's, and I'm considering swapping them out for the AX 720, but that's almost double the price. I think the biggest difference is the 5.1 sound?

I'm actually very happy with the AX 180's, the gaming sound and chat are both amazing. Just trying to talk myself into spending the extra $60 :cool:[/QUOTE]

You really should get the AX720's. Since you can still return the AX180's give the AX720's a try. You will be impressed with Dolby Digital. Let us know what you think.

I'm sorry but the AXPro will beat any wireless solution. I owned the X4's and the AXPro. You can and will notice the difference between true 5.1 and simulated. I actually wrote a review on the AXPros here: http://pcwonk.blogspot.com

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm really considering taking back the AX 180's to try the 720.

As much as I like the AX 180, after about 45 minutes or so the headset starts to feel tight on my head. I've adjusted it plenty of times to see if that would help, but still no luck.

Is anyone experiencing these problems with the AX 720? Or do they feel pretty comfortable through long gaming sessions?

What is the setup like for these headphones? I have all my gaming equipment in an entertainment system that makes it really aggravating to plug and unplug multiple cables. Can it be setup to work w/ 360 and PS3 w/o any changes being made? Also, how long is the cord? Ive got a 52" Bravia that forces me to sit back a little ways. Any answers are apprecitated.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']What is the setup like for these headphones? I have all my gaming equipment in an entertainment system that makes it really aggravating to plug and unplug multiple cables. Can it be setup to work w/ 360 and PS3 w/o any changes being made? Also, how long is the cord? Ive got a 52" Bravia that forces me to sit back a little ways. Any answers are apprecitated.[/QUOTE]

I think the cable is 12.5 ft long from Headset to box unit. Also I am looking into this splitter so I can get the PS3 and 360 without swapping cable.

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIAX720.htm

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

[quote name='IronSerif']Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm really considering taking back the AX 180's to try the 720.

As much as I like the AX 180, after about 45 minutes or so the headset starts to feel tight on my head. I've adjusted it plenty of times to see if that would help, but still no luck.

Is anyone experiencing these problems with the AX 720? Or do they feel pretty comfortable through long gaming sessions?[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I don't think you'll find any discomfort with the AX 720's. To me they were damn comfortable. You should know that the AX 180's and the AX 720's are completely different designs. The AX 720's are more are almost exact copies of Tritton's AX Pro line of headsets,... the AX 180 are a complete departure from that. Almost every review of Tritton headsets, be they from those who worship them or those who have much hate for them,.... speaks highly of the design's comfort factor. Trust me, these are some very comfortable headsets. The only 'less than super positive' comment I've ever read about the comfort factor of the Tritton design was that some found them a bit on the heavy side. But of those making that comment, most say the weight factor doesn't really add to any real discomfort,... no need for neck bracing! I've handled both the AX Pro and the AX 720, and my take is that the AX 720's are lighter than the AX Pro's.

bread's done
Back