Tritton AX720 at BestBuy 129.99

spiderdog

CAGiversary!
Just was at Bestbuy and bought a pair of Tritton AX720 headphones.
They are going for 129 dollars. I have a pair of the AX360 and these blow them away. You can really tell were other players in games are coming from which direction. These are not even on their website yet. So if you are looking for a pair they got them in now.

I have not tried it for bi direction, but it does do auto switching. It can be finicky on the order on how things are plugged in, so it takes a little experimenting with how you plug things in to get it to work the way you want to, but when its set, it works great.

If anyone has tried it, how does the Ax720 box do compared to the Xfi CMSS 3d feature on the Xfi Xtreme gamer cards? I don't have a cable that will hook into the sound cards optical connection, so I have it plugged in with the number 6 wire the headphones came with. Am I missing out on anything? Should I pull the sound card, and use the optical output on my mobo and the usb cable in order to use the box?

WOW! Ok, I've done some Halo 3, some COD, and bits and pieces of some DVD favorites. These things do sound good. Much better fidelity than the AXPC Pros. Confirms my suspicions that software drivers and onboard software Dolby processing holds these headsets back. Driving this current Tritton design via USB doesn't seem to be as sonically pleasing as when the design is driven by a robust sound card or with the Tritton processing box. Let's face it, the AXPC are driven by software that's 4 or 5 years old I'm guessing. It's basically the same driver/panel front-end that launched with the Orange AXPC's,... When was that? 2004-2005? These things are being driven by an external processing box,... although a little dated. I hear the Dolby stuff in the AX Pro box is not the latest stuff. Almost every positive thing I've read about the AX Pro's sonic performance appears to be initially true. And like Phoenix said, the sound field separation is wider,... to me it's like listening to an old school stereo mix, whereas the AX 720's and even the G35's or any other simulated surround sound headset, is like listening to a modern day stereo mix. When old school said stereo,... they meant it. You had the drums coming out of the left speaker,... AND ONLY the left speaker, and the guitar coming out of the right speaker,... AND ONLY the right speaker. A mix that sounded shallow and stretched after you got over the novelty of it all, especially when compared to the fat sound of a modern stereo mix where good stage blending sprinkled with just the right touch of delay and push made things sound more realistic. So yeah Phoenix,... your words hold a lot of water,... but not every drop. I like the clean and discrete origin of the individual sounds, and the missing stage blending with push and delay is really more a function of the source mix rather than a function of the headset's design. There's plenty of that stuff in the COD's mix as well as in practically any DVD choice you make. I am a little disappointed in Tritton's performance with music however,... I think I've been spoiled by the G35's,... some of the best fidelity I heard in a gaming headset. A good part of the bass seems to have gone AWOL. But that's already been talked about in thousands of reviews, so I kinda was expecting a small bass footprint. However, what bass that did show up for duty is very tight. I think a better pair of ear pads and a gasket here or there might help to resolve that weak spot in the AX Pro. They do a very poor job of noise isolation, which means low frequency pressure can easily escape,... ergo, no bass and decreased fidelity.

There's a link I ran across some weeks ago when I first started shopping, where some guy tuned his AX Pro's with mainly a pair of custom ear pads. There was some other stuff he did and talked about, but the ear pads and corking up the leaks in the cups themselves is what interested me.Think I'll try knock around in my browser history and see if I can find that page again.

Oh, I got the one power brick model. Someone asked me that, can't remember who!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, great analogy in your last post about old school. My brain goes into synapse overload with that much seperation and confuses me. So is the AXPRO, in your opinion, better than the AX720? Will you be keeping them or returning them as I did?

[quote name='XphoenixX']Eric, great analogy in your last post about old school. My brain goes into synapse overload with that much seperation and confuses me. So is the AXPRO, in your opinion, better than the AX720? Will you be keeping them or returning them as I did?[/QUOTE]

Nah,... the AX Pros are a keeper. I'm tired of takin' stuff back,... gettin' kinda old. And with me being able to afford two headsets with all the price matching and discounting, my demands on one single headset aren't as exacting as they were when I first started shoppin' around. I'm ok now with the notion that one may be stronger doing this while the other is stronger doing that. Can't remember if I posted the details, but I ended up buying both the Logitech G35 AND the Tritton AX Pro for about 20 bucks over what I paid for the Turtle Beach X41. As for the AX Pro, I imagine it won't take long for my brain to learn and map these things. So,... in terms of the Pro's being better than the 720's. Well,... they're different, and to say one being better than the other is maybe not the right way to judge them. You,know,... stuff like personal preference and junk like that has to honored. Sound is too subjective.

I'm kinda sorry that Tritton rep cut-n-ran. Now that I got these things I got a few questions I'd like him to answer. I mean I'm glad he chimed in and cleared up the BB exclusive thing for us, but I wished he would have hung around for a while. This weekend I'm gonna spend some time tidying up my play area now that I gotta deal with wires,... I might also look around on the net and see if I can find an extender cable that will match Tritton's proprietary jacks. After looking at this thing, any suitable extender will have to also have the ability to carry power,... something I knew but didn't really hit home until I got these things out of the box. I usually play Xbox while sitting in my Archy Bunker chair, which is a fair distance from the Hitachi 60 incher,... well until last night.

[quote name='James1701d']I have not tried it for bi direction, but it does do auto switching. It can be finicky on the order on how things are plugged in, so it takes a little experimenting with how you plug things in to get it to work the way you want to, but when its set, it works great.[/QUOTE]

Nice...so is this how your setup is:

Xbox 360 and PS3 plug into the splitter, and the splitter plugs into the receiver of the headphones. Then whatever console gets turned on and puts out a signal is what the receiver picks up, automatically?

If it works that way, and works well, I may go for that. I'm thinking of just having two seperate optical cables, one for the 360 and one for the ps3, and plugging them in as I need them.

But if your way works, and I don't have to worry about plugging/unplugging, then I'm going that route :)

[quote name='spiderdog']As far as playing from far distance:
you can buy longer Optical cables cheap here, 12-25ft.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=toslink+cable&x=0&y=0

and plug in your Dolby Processor box closer to where you sit.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I had an extra optical cable laying around from my old DirecTV days that's much longer than the short skinny pretender Tritton gives us (Verizon supplied both a DVI and optical when they put FiOS in here). You're right, now the decoder box is closer to the middle allowing me to at least get to the chair. LOL, it kinda reminds me of a long snake that just eat a rodent. Think I'll get an even longer and better quality optical cable this weekend and see if I can get it out of the way. Right now, it's begging to be stepped on or tripped over.

So far the AX Pro's are like a good lasagna dish,... it taste better the day after. I'm hearing stuff I didn't hear last night.

[quote name='IronSerif']Nice...so is this how your setup is:

Xbox 360 and PS3 plug into the splitter, and the splitter plugs into the receiver of the headphones. Then whatever console gets turned on and puts out a signal is what the receiver picks up, automatically?

If it works that way, and works well, I may go for that. I'm thinking of just having two seperate optical cables, one for the 360 and one for the ps3, and plugging them in as I need them.

But if your way works, and I don't have to worry about plugging/unplugging, then I'm going that route :)[/QUOTE]

I have mine running to a receiver, but its the same thing. Yes, they will switch over automatically. I only have one optical on my audio receiver, and thats how I get my 360, and PS3 to both use it. This will do what you want.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up the Tritton AX720 headset. I'll post my impressions after getting home and doing some Single and Multiplayer with Halo and COD.

BTW the AX720s are NOT 5.1 they only do virtual 5.1 but they are in fact a Stereo headset. The AX Pro Headset is 5.1 however and requires more wires and two power cables unless they've recently updated the design. It is OLDER then the new Tritton AX720 and AX900 headsets. I can't find any where selling the AX900s right now either.

[quote name='Frostburn']Just wanted to chime in that I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up the Tritton AX720 headset. I'll post my impressions after getting home and doing some Single and Multiplayer with Halo and COD.

BTW the AX720s are NOT 5.1 they only do virtual 5.1 but they are in fact a Stereo headset. The AX Pro Headset is 5.1 however and requires more wires and two power cables unless they've recently updated the design. It is OLDER then the new Tritton AX720 and AX900 headsets. I can't find any where selling the AX900s right now either.[/QUOTE]

The "simulated" 5.1 is better than 5.1 in my opinion. It seems to exaggerate it and increase my awareness of where enemies are.

[quote name='Frostburn']Just wanted to chime in that I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up the Tritton AX720 headset. I'll post my impressions after getting home and doing some Single and Multiplayer with Halo and COD.

BTW the AX720s are NOT 5.1 they only do virtual 5.1 but they are in fact a Stereo headset. The AX Pro Headset is 5.1 however and requires more wires and two power cables unless they've recently updated the design. It is OLDER then the new Tritton AX720 and AX900 headsets. I can't find any where selling the AX900s right now either.[/QUOTE]

Good luck on those AX 720's,... you're gonna love'em. If you have any RZ, use them. You're also right when you say the 720's are basically a stereo headset, but the Dolby box turns them into much much more,... just wait-n-see. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, the Ax Pro's have been updated,... only one power brick now. The one brick is kinda strange looking and has two power outs,... so basically, it's just two bricks glued together. Like the power plant in the original Porche 917,... two bored and stroked 911 engines glued to together.

[quote name='ericpd']Good luck on those AX 720's,... you're gonna love'em. If you have any RZ, use them. You're also right when you say the 720's are basically a stereo headset, but the Dolby box turns them into much much more,... just wait-n-see. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, the Ax Pro's have been updated,... only one power brick now. The one brick is kinda strange looking and has two power outs,... so basically, it's just two bricks glued together. Like the power plant in the original Porche 917,... two bored and stroked 911 engines glued to together.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely attest to this - I had the AX 180's for a week, then upgraded to the AX 720's and am completely happy with the upgrade. The sound is amazing, the fit is much better, and I can definitely tell the difference between the two.

They were also able to transfer over the RZ savings from the first purchase to the new one...can't go wrong with 10% off!

Glad to hear more on the AX720s, I'm actually about to leave work right now to pick them up from Best Buy. I'll post back later tonight with impressions.

Just got done with a solid 2 1/2 hours of gaming, started with Dead Space then moved on to Halo 3 Co-Op and finally to a little CoD4 MW Online play. Not as 3 dimensional as I had hoped but still a GREAT headset and the sound is amazing. I'm looking forward to playing with them some more and checking them out on my PS3 as well.

[quote name='Frostburn']Glad to hear more on the AX720s, I'm actually about to leave work right now to pick them up from Best Buy. I'll post back later tonight with impressions.

Just got done with a solid 2 1/2 hours of gaming, started with Dead Space then moved on to Halo 3 Co-Op and finally to a little CoD4 MW Online play. Not as 3 dimensional as I had hoped but still a GREAT headset and the sound is amazing. I'm looking forward to playing with them some more and checking them out on my PS3 as well.[/QUOTE]

Frostburn,... did you have your Dolby settings matched up correctly? If my memory serves me, there are actually 3 Dolby settings. I believe you wanna have all four lights white (a more purple-ish white to be more accurate) when you play Halo and other 5.1 Xbox games. That's also the movie mode. The other two Dolby modes are for processing 2 channel stuff into surround. Help me guys,... if I'm missing or mis-speaking something. I made the same assumption my first couple hrs on the 720's,... Xbox'in in the wrong mode.

For PSN the AX Pro is the best solution I have found. The new version has 1 power brick with 2 wires that plugs into the controller, along with the optical cable, and usb mic. The only wire that has to be ran across the floor goes from the controller to the headset. The only issue I have found is the in line volume control gets hot. The sound quality is better than the Astro A40 for the PSN maybe different with PC or 360. I sold my A40 on ebay to buy the AX Pro and I am more than happy with my decesion.

Yeah all the lights were White to indicate Dolby Digital and movie/game mode. The other options is a green light at the far right with 2 white lights for Music mode and then no lights for no extra sound processing. I did wonder what I should be setting the Xbox's output to. Dolby Digital Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1? It doesn't sound bad, perhaps I need more time with it or I'm spoiled with my PC150s hooked up to an Xfi soundcard in my desktop for PC gaming.

[quote name='spiderdog']The Lights for Dolby Digital need to be on are:
1-3-4 On
2 is Dolby Pro Logic II

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIAX720.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that bit of info, always saw 1-3-4 on, and never 2.

So for Dolby Digital on the 360 and PS3, 2 never needs to be on?

Also, for pc hook up, is the only option optical?

Not sure if I'll ever hook these up to the PC, but you never know when the urge to play Dawn of War II again will come!

[quote name='IronSerif']Thanks for that bit of info, always saw 1-3-4 on, and never 2.

Not sure if I'll ever hook these up to the PC, but you never know when the urge to play Dawn of War II again will come![/QUOTE]

No. You're thinking about the AX Pros. The AX 720 comes with a G6 adapter,... their proprietary din on one end and the standard pink and green 3.5's on the other end. Just jam those right in your PC headphone and mic jacks. Pink is mic BTW. The AX Pro's on the other hand, are optical or 5.1 sound card only. They come with an included G9 adapter for use with a PC. Their G9 had their proprietary on one end and four 3.5's on the other,... pink, green, and I believe black and blue. Could be wrong on the last two colors. Most sound cards on the shelves today are armed with optical out anyway. Bottom line, if you get the AX 720's you'll have no problem whatsoever connecting them to a laptop or PC without a sound card. No optical necessary! You won't however, have Dolby processing. You're 720's will turn back into a pumpkin. Now if you wait on the AX 900, I understand you'll be able to by-pass the whole G6 adapter thing and pump stuff from your PC into the 900's Dolby box, then back to your headsets. Can't do that with the 700's though.

[quote name='IronSerif']Thanks for that bit of info, always saw 1-3-4 on, and never 2.

Not sure if I'll ever hook these up to the PC, but you never know when the urge to play Dawn of War II again will come![/QUOTE]
correct
only 1-3-4 lights.

Hey guys:

I need some help deciding on a pair of new surround sound headphones. I really want to pick up the AX720's but I don't like all of the wires and power sources you need to set this up.

would any of you guys recommend the turtle beach ear force X41's? They are wireless and seem to have less wires and the base can be powered through the xbox.

Any opinions would be helpful..

Thanks
Kevin

[quote name='kevgret']Hey guys:

I need some help deciding on a pair of new surround sound headphones. I really want to pick up the AX720's but I don't like all of the wires and power sources you need to set this up.

would any of you guys recommend the turtle beach ear force X41's? They are wireless and seem to have less wires and the base can be powered through the xbox.

Any opinions would be helpful..

Thanks
Kevin[/QUOTE]

Well I think the X41 is a fine choice, although a bit pricey for what it is. They sound fine,... just as good if not better than the AX 720's. The ONLY problem I had with the X41 was the difficulty I had connecting it to my laptop,... a serious case of AC hum. Most, if not all of the problems associated with the X4's they say have been resolved. Can't comment on that as I never had the X4's on my head, but the X41 does very well when asked to handle it's primary mission, and that is the Xbox or anything with an optical out. If your budget stretches up to $200, but it's a safe choice in my opinion. I was able to do two headsets for 20 bucks more than what I paid for the X41's, so now I have all my headset needs addressed. What two headsets did I finally end up with? The Tritton AX Pro's and Logitech's G35.

BTW, the AX 720 only has one power brick and the set up is quite painless.

[quote name='ericpd']Well I think the X41 is a fine choice, although a bit pricey for what it is. They sound fine,... just as good if not better than the AX 720's. The ONLY problem I had with the X41 was the difficulty I had connecting it to my laptop,... a serious case of AC hum. Most, if not all of the problems associated with the X4's they say have been resolved. Can't comment on that as I never had the X4's on my head, but the X41 does very well when asked to handle it's primary mission, and that is the Xbox or anything with an optical out. If your budget stretches up to $200, but it's a safe choice in my opinion. I was able to do two headsets for 20 bucks more than what I paid for the X41's, so now I have all my headset needs addressed. What two headsets did I finally end up with? The Tritton AX Pro's and Logitech's G35.

BTW, the AX 720 only has one power brick and the set up is quite painless.[/QUOTE]

EricPD:

Thanks alot for your thoughts. I appreciate your insite. I have a bunch of amazon credit so I would be able to spend the $200 for the X41's. I would only be using them for the xbox and not for PC gaming. I think I might just end up getting the X41's after I do some more research.

Thanks again for your help

Kevin

I picked up the Turtle Beach p21's for the PS3 today. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I'll post a review in the near future.

[quote name='kevgret']EricPD:

Thanks alot for your thoughts. I appreciate your insite. I have a bunch of amazon credit so I would be able to spend the $200 for the X41's. I would only be using them for the xbox and not for PC gaming. I think I might just end up getting the X41's after I do some more research.

Thanks again for your help

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that with the X41 headset, I believe you must continually dump batteries into it every 20 hours or so of game play, unless you buy rechargeables and a charger

Yeah,... I forgot all about that small print. But not a real big deal. I bought some rechargeable AAA's the same night I when through BB checkout for the X41,... never opened the package. Granted, only had the X41 for about a week, but the el cheapo batts that came with X41 lasted through the period. Ironically, I had to swap out the rechargeable AA batts I use for the controller with a freshly charged set while making up my mind on the X41. Even though the X41 was cut from the squad, I think I'll hold on to the AAA's, especially since the charger I have is designed to charge both AA's and AAA's. Got two remotes in the house that uses AAA's,... so yeah, guess I'll keep'em.

But back to the AX 720's. My brother has been following this thread and just picked up the 720 yesterday. We did some Halo 3 last night, and I was amazed at how clear his voice was. We spend a lot of time discussing how these things sound to 'us', but little time on how they sound to others. Well, the 720's sound amazing coming over XBL Chat. You can definitely tell the difference between them and the stock Microsoft 1-ear headset. He loved them,... they're keepers in his eyes. I suspect my AX Pro's sound just as good,... hope so!

[quote name='js1']I picked up the Turtle Beach p21's for the PS3 today. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I'll post a review in the near future.[/QUOTE]

If possible, you should go for the AX720's. The difference is the Dolby Digital. Others in this thread went from stereo headsets and decided to go Dolby Digital and were very satisfied. Read through some of their posts in here.

From what I gathered is that the AX 720's are just a stereo headset with "enhanced" 5.1 . So for that and the cost difference I'll pass.

[quote name='js1']From what I gathered is that the AX 720's are just a stereo headset with "enhanced" 5.1 . So for that and the cost difference I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

The "enhanced" 5.1 is what makes this headset so awesome. I cant go back now. Until you experience it, you havn't experienced your games.

I can't justify spending the money on them, (AX 720) I spent GS credit on the P21's and I think it will still be a large upgrade from using the janky TV speakers. I've heard pretty much nothing but positives about the P21's anyway.

[quote name='James1701d']Does BB sell just a second set of headphones to plug in the extra port on the box?[/QUOTE]

That's a good question. I imagine BB/Tritton will in short order. That's basically what the AX 51Pro was to the AX Pro,... a second headset w/a G9 adapter allowing it to be used on it's own on the PC platform, IF your PC had a modern 5.1 sound card. Maybe they're waiting to see algo.

So when is the eca tritton relationship going to come around? I have the ax360's and im likely going to use my RZ coupons to grab a set of ax720's but 20% off from ECA might be worth the wait

[quote name='AIZEN']So what do you guys think of the G35 for pc gaming?

Im trying to decide between these and the AXPro.[/QUOTE]

OMG,... the G35's are in my opinion, the best sounding and sonically versatile headsets out there. But their versatility ends there,.... you can ONLY use them on a PC. So if you only game on the PC, no better bang for the dollar as far as I'm concerned. When I say sonically versatile, what I mean is they do just as well in the audio department as they do in the gaming environment. From what I understand, that's an accomplishment when it comes to these things because gaming requires a native tuning was different than cans designed to do music. Senn's can do it, but that's about it to my knowledge. I tried a pair of Fatal1ty HS-1000's, and they were horrible whenever trying to do anything beyond gaming,... muddy bass, muffled mids and screetching undefined highs. And that smoke-n-mirror software front-end they shipped with did nothing but make them sound like they were getting their information from a wire running a spring inside a tin can. Now gaming was another story,... they excelled there. But I want something that does Dave Holland just as well as it does Halo 3: ODST! The G35's are up to that. Plus,... they look so damn cool. The G-Keys ain't bad either.

However, if you do games on both platforms as I do, you might be a little disappointed at the huge hole G35's will leave in your sonic requirements if left to do things on it's own. Just forget about Xbox or PS3 if all you got is a G35. It would be a perfect world if Tritton stole the blue prints to Logitech's G35 headset,... or if Logitech were to steal the AX 900 Dolby front end designs from Tritton,... or even better yet, the designs to the X41 transmitter from Turtle Beach.

Get the AX Pro's, they are quite good in the gaming environment, but not so good doing music. Other than requiring an optical out, they do get along with a PC sporting a quality 5.1 sound card. Got no sound card or optical out? Do the AX 720. You won't be disappointed. Still,... if you don't plan on buying the G35's, don't listen to them. They will spoil you if you do.

i just bought a turtle beach usb soundcard so I can use the optical input from the ax720's on my PC as well as the 360 since I use a vga cable for xbox play. I have to do something with my ax360's though, and im holding out until I get a RewardZone coupon or amazon starts to carry them. I just NEED them before CODMW2

[quote name='Cornbreadxd']i just bought a turtle beach usb soundcard so I can use the optical input from the ax720's on my PC as well as the 360 since I use a vga cable for xbox play. I have to do something with my ax360's though, and im holding out until I get a RewardZone coupon or amazon starts to carry them. I just NEED them before CODMW2[/QUOTE]

I almost did that, but I was eyeballin' the a similar product from Creative Labs. But read so many bad reviews on them. What scared me most were all the comments stating that these products were recognized by PC's not as external sound cards but as speakers. And as such, not really off loading any of the audio number crunching from the CPU.

I'd be really interested in hearing how this worked within your system. I'm assuming you got the Amigo! That's the one from TB that I looked at.

actually i got the micro advantage and have used it with my ax360's using my netbook via optical and with my kenwood receiver via optical and the sound is excellent, great surround sound recreation with this thing. can't wait to get the ax720's

[quote name='Cornbreadxd']actually i got the micro advantage and have used it with my ax360's using my netbook via optical and with my kenwood receiver via optical and the sound is excellent, great surround sound recreation with this thing. can't wait to get the ax720's[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight. You're taking a 5.1 headset with (4) 3.5mm jacks and using the micro advantage to connect to your laptop that doesn't have a 5.1 sound card and at the same time retaining your 5.1 surround sound. Nice! So the Advantage must have the four 5.1 output jacks, an optical input, and of course the USB interface to the laptop. Think I'll go take another look at this. If I understand you, this will allow say, the AX Pro to communicate with any laptop with a USB port.

Thanks!

Hey,... anyone hear of a fairly solid AX 900 release date? Based on the first date I heared some time back, there should have been some noise by now.

Well the main difference between them is one had individual drivers in the ear cup for each surround channel while the other one doesn't. The AX 720's are basically stereo headsets driven by Dolby virtual surround sound. The AX Pro's have 4 drivers in each ear cup,... one for the front, one for center, one for rear surround, and one for the Sub-woofer or LFE channel. No hokas-pokas ear-brain trickery attempting to simulate surround sound as this is what has to happen in order to make two speakers sound like 6. But wait,... the ear-brain tricks Dolby has put together sound damn good. Many would argue Dolby's bag of tricks sound better than the real deal. And you know what? For the most part, I agree,... just depends on what you're listening to. But for gaming,... it's gonna be hard finding a better headset than the AX 720's in its price range. Got a couple extra bucks,.... do the AX Pro's. Having individual drivers for each surround channel does have it's advantage. If you got even more bucks at your disposal,... do the Turtle Beach X41. Of the three, the X41's sounds the best.

Any insight on the AX180's? I'm just wondering if they sound anywhere near decent as the AX720. I know I won't be getting the Pro, so that's out of the question. I want the AX720's, but I've heard they're a nightmare for people with big heads, and I have a massive cranium. The AX180's look like they'd be more comfortable to me. And I'm not going to be super audiophile about my headset, because if I wanted to get uber surround sound, I'd just play out of my home theater system (yes, I realize 5.1 headsets can help you hear footsteps from all directions in COD, but I still don't care).

Anyway, I just want to know if you guys think the AX180 is a decent purchase. And if you have any insight on hooking the headset up, I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if anyone has hooked these up to an older receiver, or if there's a ton of wires. I just really want something with not many wires.

[quote name='randomevent']Any insight on the AX180's? I'm just wondering if they sound anywhere near decent as the AX720. I know I won't be getting the Pro, so that's out of the question. I want the AX720's, but I've heard they're a nightmare for people with big heads, and I have a massive cranium. The AX180's look like they'd be more comfortable to me. And I'm not going to be super audiophile about my headset, because if I wanted to get uber surround sound, I'd just play out of my home theater system (yes, I realize 5.1 headsets can help you hear footsteps from all directions in COD, but I still don't care).

Anyway, I just want to know if you guys think the AX180 is a decent purchase. And if you have any insight on hooking the headset up, I'd appreciate it. I'm wondering if anyone has hooked these up to an older receiver, or if there's a ton of wires. I just really want something with not many wires.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, when I first read this thread back in early September, I rushed out and picked up the AX180's. About a week later, I went back to Best Buy and exchanged them for the AX720's.

The AX180's were a good headset for the price. For me though, they became a bit uncomfortable if I had them on for more then 45 minutes or so. The Stereo sound was pretty good, but comparing them to the AX720's, I don't know if I could go back!

The hook up was pretty simple, just connect the RCA connectors to the RCA outputs of your console. This was nice for me since I play my consoles on my PC Monitor, so they were easily accessible.

I would suggest to buy them first and test them out. Best Buy had no problems with me either returning them or exchanging them for the AX720's.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you give them a try!

[quote name='IronSerif']Hey man, when I first read this thread back in early September, I rushed out and picked up the AX180's. About a week later, I went back to Best Buy and exchanged them for the AX720's.

The AX180's were a good headset for the price. For me though, they became a bit uncomfortable if I had them on for more then 45 minutes or so. The Stereo sound was pretty good, but comparing them to the AX720's, I don't know if I could go back!

The hook up was pretty simple, just connect the RCA connectors to the RCA outputs of your console. This was nice for me since I play my consoles on my PC Monitor, so they were easily accessible.

I would suggest to buy them first and test them out. Best Buy had no problems with me either returning them or exchanging them for the AX720's.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you give them a try![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 720's, since I have two $50 gift cards. The two things I'm really worried about is comfort and not too many wires. And is the cable length sufficient? I sit about 10 feet from my TV.

One more thing; does it work with HDMI? What I had planned to do was to hook the headphones up to my receiver and use them that way. But if I can't figure it out, since my receiver is really old, I'll just use HDMI through my Xbox and do the HDMI hack so I don't have to buy the cable.

[quote name='randomevent']Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 720's, since I have two $50 gift cards. The two things I'm really worried about is comfort and not too many wires. And is the cable length sufficient? I sit about 10 feet from my TV.

One more thing; does it work with HDMI? What I had planned to do was to hook the headphones up to my receiver and use them that way. But if I can't figure it out, since my receiver is really old, I'll just use HDMI through my Xbox and do the HDMI hack so I don't have to buy the cable.[/QUOTE]

Just in case you don't know about this for doing the Xbox HDMI hack, or if someone else is interested, life is much easier if you pry open the component cable block that plugs into your Xbox and cut the small black wire that loops into itself. Takes 30 seconds from start to finish.

If you don't cut that wire, then if you have your Xbox on and hooked up by HDMI with the component cables plugged in too and you change sources on your TV/receiver, when you change back to the Xbox your Xbox may reset. It happened to me. The other option is using tape to cover a pin but the tape will move if you ever unplug the component cables.

And you can use the optical out on the Xbox component cables to hook up to your AXPro / AX720 / X41, or if your receiver has optical out pass through from HDMI sources then you can run sound from there.

Man,... if you're sittin' on $100 in gift cards, spend the bucks you would normally have to spend on the 720's, add it to the gift cards, and get yourself the X41. They'll cover all the hook up stuff you're talking about, plus they sound better than the 180's, 720's and the Pro's, they're 7.1 surround sound (well the 720's are too), and they're wireless. Everything you mentioned and some. Plus, you'd have enough change leftover to get a 4-pack of AAA rechargables. If there's anyway possible you could pull that off and not miss a car note or a mortgage payment,... do it! I guarantee you won't regret the move.

bread's done
Back