Tritton AX720 at BestBuy 129.99

spiderdog

CAGiversary!
Just was at Bestbuy and bought a pair of Tritton AX720 headphones.
They are going for 129 dollars. I have a pair of the AX360 and these blow them away. You can really tell were other players in games are coming from which direction. These are not even on their website yet. So if you are looking for a pair they got them in now.

[quote name='rgd2blck']Just in case you don't know about this for doing the Xbox HDMI hack, or if someone else is interested, life is much easier if you pry open the component cable block that plugs into your Xbox and cut the small black wire that loops into itself. Takes 30 seconds from start to finish.

If you don't cut that wire, then if you have your Xbox on and hooked up by HDMI with the component cables plugged in too and you change sources on your TV/receiver, when you change back to the Xbox your Xbox may reset. It happened to me. The other option is using tape to cover a pin but the tape will move if you ever unplug the component cables.

And you can use the optical out on the Xbox component cables to hook up to your AXPro / AX720 / X41, or if your receiver has optical out pass through from HDMI sources then you can run sound from there.[/QUOTE]

I only have an OPTICAL IN on my receiver, and I've hooked my TV into it. I think what I'll have to do is just switch the optical cables whenever I want to use the headset or surround sound. It's not a big deal because I can reach the back of my TV easily enough.

Now, I'm wondering if I go optical straight to the TV, do I have to do the HDMI hack?

[quote name='randomevent']Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 720's, since I have two $50 gift cards. The two things I'm really worried about is comfort and not too many wires. And is the cable length sufficient? I sit about 10 feet from my TV.

....[/QUOTE]

Comfort is a big thing for me as well. From my experience, the AX720's are heavier then the AX180's, but they seemed more comfortable and the weight didn't appear to be much of an issue. The problem I had with the AX180's was that after 45 minutes or so they felt really tight - I don't have that problem with the AX720's.

Too many wires shouldn't be an issue. You have the receiver which connects to the console via an optical cable and then a seperate AC adapter. You then have a single cable going from the receiver to the AX720's.

Not entirely sure how long it is, but I'd say at least 10 feet (or so it seems!)

[quote name='randomevent']I only have an OPTICAL IN on my receiver, and I've hooked my TV into it. I think what I'll have to do is just switch the optical cables whenever I want to use the headset or surround sound. It's not a big deal because I can reach the back of my TV easily enough.

Now, I'm wondering if I go optical straight to the TV, do I have to do the HDMI hack?[/QUOTE]

Ahw man,... that's a bummer. If you had an optical out, you could blend you 720's into your entire HT system,... to include the Xbox! Think I'll try that myself,... I think I noticed an optical out on the back of that thing when I was hooking stuff up!

Anybody know where you can get a Toslink(optical) cable that is Dolby Certified for a reasonable price?
One of the reviews I saw stated that it's very important to make sure you get one that is Dolby Certified
to make sure you're getting the absolute best quality signal from the console to the processor. Any truth
to this or is it hype? I have just a cheap one that I bought from eForcity.

Honestly with digital optical as long as you get a decent quality cord you'll be fine. The one thing I don't remember reading in the AX720 manual is that you need to turn up the volume on the Dolby digital box all the way up ( hold the + vol button for a good 15 seconds) and THEN adjust the headset volume knob on the cord to your liking. This will give you crystal clear audio. At first the volume on the Dolby box was low for me and I had some low white noise coming through the headset, I wasn't happy with them till I adjusted the audio on the box and turned down the in-line volume. Now it sounds amazing, I'm happy with the purchase.

[quote name='Cornbreadxd']you can get a splitter and a switch if you want to use more than 1 optical cable[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I don't mind switching my optical cables between the headset and my receiver. Like I said, it's not too hard for me.

[quote name='randomevent']Now, I'm wondering if I go optical straight to the TV, do I have to do the HDMI hack?[/QUOTE]

Any time you want optical out of your Xbox along with HDMI (for example, my Xbox has HDMI out to my TV and optical out to my AXPro), you either have to buy the Microsoft solution or do the HDMI hack.

I picked up a set of the 720s this week. Amazing sound. Like actualy being there. But my mic pickup is terrible. I don't know if the cord is bad, if there's interference or it's just completely screwed.

I've tried moving my router and my xbox closer to each other. Fiddled with the chat cord, adjusted volume levels via headset and console settings six ways from Sunday. Without fail, there is a dreadful buzzing sound at higher volumes. However, I still have no idea if anybody else would experience this as well.

As a previous poster mentioned, I discovered this while recording and reviewing a voice message. If I turn the chat volume on the inline controller almost all the way down and speak with a concert voice, it sounds pretty good if the mic is close enough to your mouth (but not too close or you sound like Wall-E). Problem is, after briefly playing online with it at that level, I was barely able to hear anyone. I was too worried if I turned the volume up they may hear the irritating buzz.

Any ideas guys? I kept thinking that maybe it's due to using a wireless controller (signal interference)? Tried throwing new AAs in to see if it was possible that the signal was too weak due to low output. My NAT settings are great, no problems connecting to games. Even get host sometimes. I'm close to trying a wired controller, just hesitant on dropping more money just to get the chat portion to work.

I'm gonna go dick around with it some more, but if anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I've sent an e-mail to Tritton, but their support site doesn't even have anything on the 720 except the user manual. I can't even register it because they haven't added it to the drop down product menu.

Besides the chat issue, the sound alone is probably worth the money. I'm just disappointed in my crappy luck. I bought this headset because the last one crapped.

Look man,... if it even smells like you got a crappy unit, take it back and exchange it for another unit. BB is extremely good about that. Not quite sure what moving your router closer to the Xbox would do as this is a wired headset.

quick question, for those of you who like/dislike the AXPro's, do you use it on a computer with onboard sound or with a soundcard? I'm looking into getting a new set of headphones and while i like logitech and am interested in the G35, it basically nullifies the $ i already spent on a soundcard

im mostly interested in PC as i solely use headphones when on it

what id really like are psykoaudio 5.1s (cant post links yet) but i dunno if im willing to spend THAT much ($300 pre-order), but who knows... anyways, they arent even out yet

[quote name='Mogui']quick question, for those of you who like/dislike the AXPro's, do you use it on a computer with onboard sound or with a soundcard? I'm looking into getting a new set of headphones and while i like logitech and am interested in the G35, it basically nullifies the $ i already spent on a soundcard

what id really like are psykoaudio 5.1s (cant post links yet) but i dunno if im willing to spend THAT much ($300 pre-order), but who knows... anyways, they arent even out yet[/QUOTE]

Well Mogui, the AX Pro requires a 5.1 surround sound output. I'm not familiar with too many PC that have onboard 5.1 outputs,... so to use it with the average PC you'd need to first have a 5.1 sound card installed. However, if all you got to do you can do on the PC, and use with the Xbox or PS3 is not an issue,.... do the Logitech G35's. Trust me,... you won't be disappointed. Of all the headsets you'd heard discussed in this thread, the G35's will sonically blow them out of the water. Beware though, because they are strictly Dolby 5.1/7.1, they may not faithfully render surround sound on some older games. Don't think you'll need to worry about newer games however. I own a pair of the G35's, and used to own the AX Pro's until I re-exchanged them for the X41. BTW, the G35's have dropped below the $100 mark.

[quote name='ericpd']Well Mogui, the AX Pro requires a 5.1 surround sound output. I'm not familiar with too many PC that have onboard 5.1 outputs,... so to use it with the average PC you'd need to first have a 5.1 sound card installed. However, if all you got to do you can do on the PC, and use with the Xbox or PS3 is not an issue,.... do the Logitech G35's. Trust me,... you won't be disappointed. Of all the headsets you'd heard discussed in this thread, the G35's will sonically blow them out of the water. Beware though, because they are strictly Dolby 5.1/7.1, they may not faithfully render surround sound on some older games. Don't think you'll need to worry about newer games however. I own a pair of the G35's, and used to own the AX Pro's until I re-exchanged them for the X41. BTW, the G35's have dropped below the $100 mark.[/QUOTE]

ya, trust me, i am interested in the G35s, but the issue for me is that i bought a sound card in order to take the sound comp stress off the cpu in the first place. getting the G35 basically brings me back to using the CPU for sound and nullifies the $ ive already spent on my current sound card.

im also trying to plan for the future, as when i plan to upgrade my board next year to an i7 setup, i was going to get an Auzentech sound card to go w/ it. i want to be able to run my PC on my DLP set and play some games in 3D using that Nvidia setup. in which case i dont want onboard sound running to my receiver.

hence my dilema. i like the G35s, and i was planning on getting them until i found out that they are usb only. which is why im asking about the AXPros :) i just didnt know how much the sound card affected the sound quality, if perhaps i might get better fidelity on the AXPros w/ a better soundcard or if its simply due to hardware limitations in the headset itself

thanks for the info ;)

EDIT: and sorry for kind of derailing

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mogui']quick question, for those of you who like/dislike the AXPro's, do you use it on a computer with onboard sound or with a soundcard? I'm looking into getting a new set of headphones and while i like logitech and am interested in the G35, it basically nullifies the $ i already spent on a soundcard

what id really like are psykoaudio 5.1s (cant post links yet) but i dunno if im willing to spend THAT much ($300 pre-order), but who knows... anyways, they arent even out yet[/QUOTE]

I have on-board sound on my motherboard from 4ish years ago, and it puts out up to 7.1 surround. Generally PC's come with at least 5.1 and have for a while.

It's fine on my AXPro's. The better question is how you would feel about having 4 speakers in each ear for true surround sound (e.g., AXPro) instead of 1 speaker in each ear for simulated surround sound. Personally I prefer simulated because the AXPro does not give good sound differentiation between the forward and rear channels. Several posters in this thread have said the same.

Also, I bought the AXPro's as my one solution to gaming on my PC, Xbox and PS3. If I were only buying it for my PC, it's overpriced.

So....price aside

Should I be getting AX720 or X41 (im just worried about all the clicks and pops on the x41's)

Cheers

got my 720's last week for $109 at BB using the 10% coupon and a rewardzone cert. They are alot better feeling than the ax360's but I did like how the ax360's allowed for customiaing the sound levels in each area. (center,left,right, etc.) but the 720's are alot more comfortable and the mic is a major improvement because i can hear for the first time in a while.

i ordered my switch and extra fiber optic cable so I can run my PC sound through it also, i haven't tested these with movies or COD yet, just nba2k10 and Beautiful Katamari, but the sound is clear of ANY distortion whatsoever.

Ok so I got the headset, and the audio is excellent! Only problem is the mic. My friend says he can't hear me well. I'm wondering if it's because he's using the original Xbox 360 headset, or if I have a defective mic. I'm pretty sure the volume control is only for the voice I hear, and not the mic, right? And I put the mic pretty damn close to my face, so I don't think that's the issue either.

So, do you guys think I should just bring them back and get another pair? Or is it my friend's headset that is having the problems?

Yeah, I think I might just return it and switch it out. The mic doesn't seem to be all that hot on this unit. Hopefully the one I get tomorrow will work better, because I really like the headset.

[quote name='tomekay']So....price aside

Should I be getting AX720 or X41 (im just worried about all the clicks and pops on the x41's)

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Bump....or AxPro? i am steering toward Ax720...should I be?

Any news on the ax 900s? And what are the differences of the 720 & 900?

If the 900s are decently close to being released I'm gonna pick those up to go along with Modern Warfare 2, but if not, it's the 720s then.

Damn, after seeing everybodys respsone to the G35 it makes it look god-like. Too bad they can't be used with the PS3.

Also, you guys gotta check these out. I don't even know what to say about them, other than the $300 price point is pretty steep.

[quote name='blader16']Any news on the ax 900s? And what are the differences of the 720 & 900?

If the 900s are decently close to being released I'm gonna pick those up to go along with Modern Warfare 2, but if not, it's the 720s then.

Damn, after seeing everybodys respsone to the G35 it makes it look god-like. Too bad they can't be used with the PS3.

Also, you guys gotta check these out. I don't even know what to say about them, other than the $300 price point is pretty steep.[/QUOTE]

Hey Blader16, here's a good article of the AX720 vs AX900 from cnet. LINK.

I've demo'd both the 720 & the PRO's though, and my personal opinion
is to go with the PRO's because of the sound quality. The simulated
sound vs the true 5.1 is noticeable and it's only $20 or so more bucks.
Either way though, Tritton makes some good headsets. Good luck.

BTW, get ready to be called a "cheater" cause people will get mad when
you can hear them before they get to you. LOL :lol:

[quote name='ericpd']I'm not familiar with too many PC that have onboard 5.1 outputs[/QUOTE]

My old desktop, AMD XP age, could have surround enabled by switching a setting in the OS then using the Line-out 1/2, headphones, mic jack. Pretty nifty trick, so yea they are out there.
smile

I have the turtle beach X4 headset (wireless) and i am quite happy with them. I believe you can find them for around 149.99 now, i bought them last year for 199.99 with BBY gift cards as a gift for myself.

[quote name='Ronzilla']I've demo'd both the 720 & the PRO's though, and my personal opinionis to go with the PRO's because of the sound quality. The simulatedsound vs the true 5.1 is noticeable and it's only $20 or so more bucks. Either way though, Tritton makes some good headsets. Good luck.[/QUOTE]What 1 is the true 5.1?

[quote name='Ronzilla']
I've demo'd both the 720 & the PRO's though, and my personal opinion
is to go with the PRO's because of the sound quality. The simulated
sound vs the true 5.1 is noticeable and it's only $20 or so more bucks.
Either way though, Tritton makes some good headsets. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
2 questions:

• Which 1 is simulated?

• Is the pro still a mess with all the cords, even after they merged the 2 power bricks?
Also, can you go into more detail on the audio differences/quality of the Pro vs. 720

[quote name='blader16']2 questions:

• Which 1 is simulated?

• Is the pro still a mess with all the cords, even after they merged the 2 power bricks?
Also, can you go into more detail on the audio differences/quality of the Pro vs. 720[/QUOTE]

PM sent.

[quote name='Ronzilla']PM sent.[/QUOTE]

I've been lurking this post, gathering info on which headset I should buy. I wouldn't mind if you replied publicly (or if you think it inappropriate, pm me :D)

For those of us that don't have 130+ to blow on a headset, I found (and purchased) the Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R. These are real surround headphones (5.1 in theory).
- Six separate internal speakers
- Analog and Optical inputs
- Only needs one AC cable
- Rechargable battery (included)
- NO MIC
- $15.95 + shipping ($9.75 as of this writing) on amazon

These are a great option if you don't have the cash for a more professional solution (and don't need a Mic). They are competent, with a noticeable background hiss on quiet scenes (not really noticeable when there's something actually going on in the game). The positional sounds seems accurate as well. I've been using them from a week and no issues yet (and they make one huge difference on the gaming experience, particulalrly for me, since I play from 12am to 3 am while my wife and baby girl sleep)

I'd definitely recommend them as a cheap acceptable replacement, specially if your looking for your first surround headphones and like to "test the waters" before committing to a pricer (very likely better) option

Again: These are NOT the best option, but for the price, might be the ONLY option to some of us :) to get headphone surround sound

[quote name='Phokis']I've been lurking this post, gathering info on which headset I should buy. I wouldn't mind if you replied publicly (or if you think it inappropriate, pm me :D)[/QUOTE]

Getting quite a few PM's so decided to post. I didn't want to clutter up the page with youtube vids but I think it is VERY helpful in understanding the differences.

The AXPRO has 4 speakers(front,center,rear,sub) in each ear while the AX900 & AX720 only have 1 speaker and use "simulated" surround. I along with quite a
few reviewers who have compared the two have stated that there is a "noticeable" difference between the AXPRO & AX720. While I haven't listened to the AX900,
I'm assuming the "sound" quality is similar to the AX720 since they're using the same single driver for sound. If you're spending $150ish dollars, you really should try both
so that you can be sure with your decision but if that's not feasible, go with your gut. It appears the AXPRO's from Amazon, Best Buy, & Newegg are all shipping the new
AXPRO's(single psu, flexible mic, power-off inline controller) so you shouldn't have a problem with them sending you the "older" unit.

Here's the 1st of 4 vids that compare the AX720 vs AXPRO------------->
[youtube]MhpL0yXkG5w[/youtube]​

Here's the vid showing the "NEW" model with comparison & review----------->
[youtube]pls8rkfR-c8[/youtube]

Hope that helps some. If anybody gets the Trittons and is getting Modern Warfare 2(xbox360),
PM me ur gamertag & I'll add you, so we can play, having an "UNFAIR" advantage :lol::whee:.

A little help here!

Just hooked up all the cables on an AX PRO, all the power lights are on, etc. However, I'm still getting sound out of my TV speakers and nothing through the headset. This is via a component cable through the xbox 360.

Do i need to disable the tv speakers?

I bought the AX Pros from Amazon this friday and spent the whole weekend testing them. I have one word to describe them. CRAP.

Here is the major problem with the PROs.....You have to decide if you want good sound quality or if you want good surround sound effect. You cannot have both.

I seriously do not know what the reviewers of this headset were basing their comparisons on. If you have a semi decent DD receiver, do not expect the PROs to come anywhere near it, even on low volume.

I had a buddy of mine help me with Modern Warfare 2. I turned off my tv and had him have his character shoot his gun around my character. With the Pros on, I had to guess where he was, and really had to think about it first. I was wrong half the time. With my DD receiver on, at a very low volume, I could tell instantly where he was every time.

Do a search for AX Pro settings and you will find that everyone that posts their settings has the sub very low. It seems that the sub drains out the surround sound effect. Problem is, when you turn the sub down to get decent surround sound, you are left with a pathetic, tinny, and echoing sound quality. But, your surround sound is decent. Turn the sub up, and these are the best STEREO headset I've heard.

I used to have the AX360s which used simulated 5.1 and although the bass sucked, the surround sound effect kicked ass. I'm now seriously thinking of the 720s but Tritton has put me off so much with the PRO, I dont know if I want to chance it again. I learned not to trust reviews anymore. If you are comparing the Pros to tv speakers, then yes, they will kick ass. If you are used to atleast an average surround sound setup, they will disappoint you big time.

[quote name='Apostle22']I bought the AX Pros from Amazon this friday and spent the whole weekend testing them. I have one word to describe them. CRAP.

Here is the major problem with the PROs.....You have to decide if you want good sound quality or if you want good surround sound effect. You cannot have both.

I seriously do not know what the reviewers of this headset were basing their comparisons on. If you have a semi decent DD receiver, do not expect the PROs to come anywhere near it, even on low volume.

I had a buddy of mine help me with Modern Warfare 2. I turned off my tv and had him have his character shoot his gun around my character. With the Pros on, I had to guess where he was, and really had to think about it first. I was wrong half the time. With my DD receiver on, at a very low volume, I could tell instantly where he was every time.

Do a search for AX Pro settings and you will find that everyone that posts their settings has the sub very low. It seems that the sub drains out the surround sound effect. Problem is, when you turn the sub down to get decent surround sound, you are left with a pathetic, tinny, and echoing sound quality. But, your surround sound is decent. Turn the sub up, and these are the best STEREO headset I've heard.

I used to have the AX360s which used simulated 5.1 and although the bass sucked, the surround sound effect kicked ass. I'm now seriously thinking of the 720s but Tritton has put me off so much with the PRO, I dont know if I want to chance it again. I learned not to trust reviews anymore. If you are comparing the Pros to tv speakers, then yes, they will kick ass. If you are used to atleast an average surround sound setup, they will disappoint you big time.[/QUOTE]
This review puts you in the minority. Although not perfect, its hard to find a better pair of true SS console gaming headphones.

I only have a couple issues with any of the Tritton AX series and that is the amount of cables that you need to hook up to use them especially the newest headsets. That and the mic just doesnt feel right I felt like I had to twist my mouth so that people could hear me properly. Other than that I will say the sound that these puppies throw out are amazing.

Over all I still prefer the Turtle Beach x41 yeah they are not perfect but the pros well out weight the cons for me.

[quote name='Apostle22']I bought the AX Pros from Amazon this friday and spent the whole weekend testing them. I have one word to describe them. CRAP.

I used to have the AX360s which used simulated 5.1 and although the bass sucked, the surround sound effect kicked ass. I'm now seriously thinking of the 720s but Tritton has put me off so much with the PRO, I dont know if I want to chance it again. I learned not to trust reviews anymore. If you are comparing the Pros to tv speakers, then yes, they will kick ass. If you are used to atleast an average surround sound setup, they will disappoint you big time.[/QUOTE]

You should try the AX720's. I also have the AX360's and there is a difference. Also a friend of mine tried the AXPros
and AX720s and the X41s. He ended up with the AX720's.

I really wish I was doing something wrong but I'm not. I've tried the sound delay, I've tried adjusting the individual speakers, and I've tried multiple games. Maybe its just that my HT speakers do a much better job at seperating the sounds.

I played the L4D2 demo and purposely put my back to oncoming zombies and I couldnt tell any difference in the sound. I closed my eyes and couldnt tell if the zombies were in front, back, or on the side of me. The AX PROs sound like glorified stereo headphones.

I have the ax pros and don't really care for it. To many cables, does not feel right, two ac adapters, and was kind of a pain figuring out how to get rid of that whine. However, they do work and sound pretty good for the most part. I think I might replace them with the P35 headphones.

I just got off work and picked up the AX 720s on the way home. WOW! What a difference. These blow the PROs out of the water. I popped in Modern Warfare 2 and it has never sounded so good. I did the same test I did with the PROs, having a friend go around my character shooting while my tv was off. I could tell where he was each and every time, unlike the PROs where the best I could do is guess.

There is a huge difference in surround sound between the two. I had a very difficult time with the PROs telling the difference between something that was in front of me and something behind me. No such problem with the 720s. Bass was pretty good, not the best, but its nothing to complain about. I knew where gunshots and explosions were coming from, I could pinpoint where footsteps were, and the ambient sounds sounded incredible.

Let me stress what is, by far, the best thing about the 720s over the PROs.........The 720s just work. Each game I played sounded great. Absolutely no need to tweak the settings when you change the game. With the PROs, the settings I had for ODST didnt sound good on Modern Warfare. Each game I played, I found myself having to re tweak the settings. Major pain in the ass.

Are these the best sounding headsets ever? No. But they are pretty damn good for the price. I am now totally convinced that simulated 5.1 is far greater than true 5.1 when it comes to headphones. The only thing I miss about the PROs were the color and the headphones lighting up. As far as sound quality, the PRO has a very slight edge. Very Slight. As far as surround quality, it is night and day. The 720s destroy the PROs.

[quote name='Apostle22']I just got off work and picked up the AX 720s on the way home. WOW! What a difference. These blow the PROs out of the water. I popped in Modern Warfare 2 and it has never sounded so good. I did the same test I did with the PROs, having a friend go around my character shooting while my tv was off. I could tell where he was each and every time, unlike the PROs where the best I could do is guess.

There is a huge difference in surround sound between the two. I had a very difficult time with the PROs telling the difference between something that was in front of me and something behind me. No such problem with the 720s. Bass was pretty good, not the best, but its nothing to complain about. I knew where gunshots and explosions were coming from, I could pinpoint where footsteps were, and the ambient sounds sounded incredible.

Let me stress what is, by far, the best thing about the 720s over the PROs.........The 720s just work. Each game I played sounded great. Absolutely no need to tweak the settings when you change the game. With the PROs, the settings I had for ODST didnt sound good on Modern Warfare. Each game I played, I found myself having to re tweak the settings. Major pain in the ass.

Are these the best sounding headsets ever? No. But they are pretty damn good for the price. I am now totally convinced that simulated 5.1 is far greater than true 5.1 when it comes to headphones. The only thing I miss about the PROs were the color and the headphones lighting up. As far as sound quality, the PRO has a very slight edge. Very Slight. As far as surround quality, it is night and day. The 720s destroy the PROs.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you like them. What you said about the differences between both of them is exactly what I and my friend could hear when we tested them all.

I might buy some of these but the mic problems are leaning me away from them. Has anyone succesfully used these on Xbox live? I don't want to buy this and then have people complaining that my mic gives off weird noises or I sound like crap. I'm using them for clan matches so communication is key

The AX Pros had a mic problem right out of the box. No one could hear me and I couldnt hear them. Also, everytime the you or the cord moved, it would give off a loud crackling sound. With the 720s, I didnt experience any of this. In fact, I've never heard voices so loud and clear before. My friends were able to hear me just fine. I highly recommend the 720s. I would steer clear of the PROs.

So, it looks like there's a lot of people here that have spent a lot of time with different headsets. I'd like to hear some suggestions for my next headset purchase.

Background:

I have a pair of Turtle Beach X2s, X3s and X4s, and I primarily play 360 games (rarely anything else). I game in both the bedroom while the wife is sleeping, and the living room on a 22" LCD monitor while the wife watches TV (the 360 is in a small cart). I no longer use the X2s, and use the X3s in the bedroom and X4s in the living room. My wife is due with our first child in May, so headphone gaming will continue to be heavily used.

I'm planning on moving the X4s to the bedroom, and I'd like to get another set to use in the living room. I need the headphones in the bedroom to be wireless, but might be able to live with a wired headset in the living room. I want to have surround sound in both places, so the new set must support 5.1 (or 7.1). I tend to play games with voice communication in the living room, so 360 voice chat support is important, and I have a Chat Pad, and would like the new headset to be compatible. I play my PS3 on occassion, but never online, so PS3 Chat is not an important consideration.

Purchase considerations:
I'm strongly considering getting X41s, but my 360 in the living room uses a wireless internet connection (G), and I'm concerned about interference. Price is not a terribly important consideration (as long as it's in the same ball-park as the X41s). I'm sold on simulated surround sound, and have played through several games with the simulated surround sound with no problems.

Which headphones should I be considering. For my uses, which ones should get attention, and which should be skipped?

-ReussDr

Wireless headset Turtle Beach Ear Force x41 is easy to hook up.

- USB power cable that connects to your console
- Plug in the Digital Optical cable (included with the headset) to your console.
- Turn on and play
- Optional cable from headset to your controller if you want to use mic (360 only).

[quote name='ReussDr']So, it looks like there's a lot of people here that have spent a lot of time with different headsets. I'd like to hear some suggestions for my next headset purchase.

Background:

I have a pair of Turtle Beach X2s, X3s and X4s, and I primarily play 360 games (rarely anything else). I game in both the bedroom while the wife is sleeping, and the living room on a 22" LCD monitor while the wife watches TV (the 360 is in a small cart). I no longer use the X2s, and use the X3s in the bedroom and X4s in the living room. My wife is due with our first child in May, so headphone gaming will continue to be heavily used.

I'm planning on moving the X4s to the bedroom, and I'd like to get another set to use in the living room. I need the headphones in the bedroom to be wireless, but might be able to live with a wired headset in the living room. I want to have surround sound in both places, so the new set must support 5.1 (or 7.1). I tend to play games with voice communication in the living room, so 360 voice chat support is important, and I have a Chat Pad, and would like the new headset to be compatible. I play my PS3 on occassion, but never online, so PS3 Chat is not an important consideration.

Purchase considerations:
I'm strongly considering getting X41s, but my 360 in the living room uses a wireless internet connection (G), and I'm concerned about interference. Price is not a terribly important consideration (as long as it's in the same ball-park as the X41s). I'm sold on simulated surround sound, and have played through several games with the simulated surround sound with no problems.

Which headphones should I be considering. For my uses, which ones should get attention, and which should be skipped?

-ReussDr[/QUOTE]

I have the X41s and unfortunately my wireless router is directly next to the x41 sound box. I have no other place to put the x41s, so every time I want to wear them I have directly connect the ethernet cable from the xbox to the modem and turn off my wireless connection. If I dont there is a horrible popping noise every 20 seconds from the wireless interference.

Other than that small inconvenience, they are AWESOME! Very nice sounding and comfortable to wear.

bread's done
Back