Tritton AX720 at BestBuy 129.99

spiderdog

CAGiversary!
Just was at Bestbuy and bought a pair of Tritton AX720 headphones.
They are going for 129 dollars. I have a pair of the AX360 and these blow them away. You can really tell were other players in games are coming from which direction. These are not even on their website yet. So if you are looking for a pair they got them in now.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']I might buy some of these but the mic problems are leaning me away from them. Has anyone succesfully used these on Xbox live? I don't want to buy this and then have people complaining that my mic gives off weird noises or I sound like crap. I'm using them for clan matches so communication is key[/QUOTE]

I exchanged mine, and the new mic is fine. I would definitely say the AX720's are worth the purchase. I guess the only thing to consider is that the mic will probably sound better on PS3 and PC since it's hooked up via USB and Audio Out cables, rather than the flimsy cord they provide for the 360 controller. I'm going to buy a new cord at some point.

However, once I got my new AX720, everyone said I sounded great on XBL, flimsy cord and all. We all play MW2 and communicate perfectly fine.

Thanks alot guys to the people who replied to my question. i was going to get pros but I heard they are horrible for xbox live which is pretty much why I want gaming headphones in the first place. Looks like I'll be paying bestbuy a visit, I don't mind exchanging them if I get some that don't work right, bestbuy has a pretty good replacement policy

[quote name='Apostle22']The AX Pros had a mic problem right out of the box. No one could hear me and I couldnt hear them. Also, everytime the you or the cord moved, it would give off a loud crackling sound. With the 720s, I didnt experience any of this. In fact, I've never heard voices so loud and clear before. My friends were able to hear me just fine. I highly recommend the 720s. I would steer clear of the PROs.[/QUOTE]They fixed it in the newer models they are shipping out. The mic is now the same as the 720's & also there is no distortion when moving the cord/mic around. Along with the mic change, they changed how it took 2 AC power cords.

[quote name='LordKefka06']They fixed it in the newer models they are shipping out. The mic is now the same as the 720's & also there is no distortion when moving the cord/mic around. Along with the mic change, they changed how it took 2 AC power cords.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, they didnt. Mine was the new version which only has 1 ac adapter. The mic is different from the older version, but the distortion remains.

Yeah I'm thinking his set was just faulty or something. If you're gonna spend the money,
you should really try them BOTH out and make your own choice.
I've had the old & new version of the PRO's and the 720's and I've also had the X3's.
PRO's sounded the best for me and looking at reviews online, the majority of people agree.
If you like the white color though, go with the 720's.

All I know is the original AxPro's are an exceptional headset. Not sure how you could get much better than this; I prefer them over an actual surround sound set.

This past week I actually put the X31 and X41 sets to the test. The X31 set sounded great for Stereo (you can tell when someone is close in CoD....although not directly behind you) and the wireless signal never popped or caused interference. Most importantly, the X31 are VERY comfortable. I played a 4 hour session one night and they never bothered me at all. The X41 set on the other hand, gave me all sorts of proplems. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely better sound quality with the digital optical cable here. When they were working they were nice. Unfortuately this set was a victim of the low "hum" noise and constant popping. This drove me abasolutely crazy. Why would the X31s not have this problem and the X41 set does when they use the same wireless tech? Also, the X41s are not a comfortable set for my big head. It is probably just me, but the ear pieces started to hurt my ears after about an hour. These are more of a perfect circle shape where the X31 set has more of an Oval shape ear piece. Again, probably just me but that made a huge difference. The last thing I noticed with the X41 is the surround was not as good as I was hoping. While better than Stereo, not nearly what I was expecting for the price.

Bottom line is after all the problems with the X41, I wasn't keeping them at double the price of the X31 set. I am very happy with my X31s even though they are stereo. After reading this thread, I am thining about trying the Tritton 720s for the low cost (compared to the x41) but wary of the wires and mic. Tritton's web site doesn't really show any pictures of the wires, so could someone tell me exactly what wires are involved with the 720s? Thanks.

[quote name='lee337']
This past week I actually put the X31 and X41 sets to the test. The X31 set sounded great for Stereo (you can tell when someone is close in CoD....although not directly behind you) and the wireless signal never popped or caused interference. Most importantly, the X31 are VERY comfortable. I played a 4 hour session one night and they never bothered me at all. The X41 set on the other hand, gave me all sorts of proplems. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely better sound quality with the digital optical cable here. When they were working they were nice. Unfortuately this set was a victim of the low "hum" noise and constant popping. This drove me abasolutely crazy. Why would the X31s not have this problem and the X41 set does when they use the same wireless tech? Also, the X41s are not a comfortable set for my big head. It is probably just me, but the ear pieces started to hurt my ears after about an hour. These are more of a perfect circle shape where the X31 set has more of an Oval shape ear piece. Again, probably just me but that made a huge difference. The last thing I noticed with the X41 is the surround was not as good as I was hoping. While better than Stereo, not nearly what I was expecting for the price.

Bottom line is after all the problems with the X41, I wasn't keeping them at double the price of the X31 set. I am very happy with my X31s even though they are stereo. After reading this thread, I am thining about trying the Tritton 720s for the low cost (compared to the x41) but wary of the wires and mic. Tritton's web site doesn't really show any pictures of the wires, so could someone tell me exactly what wires are involved with the 720s? Thanks.
[/QUOTE]I can upload a picture of the PRO wires if you want. But I don't have the 720's.

Just a quick mention.....2 things that really stood out about the 720s over the PROs....First, the Infinity Ward logo that plays when you start Modern Warfare 2......It sounded like stereo on the PROs. On the 720s, it sounds like the sound is circling your head. Second, I was playing MW2 last night, sniping, and an enemy walked on the platform directly above me. I knew instantly that he was above and behind me and got an easy kill. On the PROs, I could hear the same footsteps, but I could never pinpoint where they were exactly. Once again, I highly recommend the 720s.

I was thinking about it last night, regarding having true 5.1 in headphones. If you have a 5.1 system, put all your speakers around you and have your fronts and rears right up on each other, slightly turned.....It would be hard to tell the difference between front and rear. Thats the problem I had with the PROs....You really had to stop and think where that sound originated from. With the 720s, there is absolutely no question where the sound is coming from.

[quote name='Apostle22']Just a quick mention.....2 things that really stood out about the 720s over the PROs....First, the Infinity Ward logo that plays when you start Modern Warfare 2......It sounded like stereo on the PROs. On the 720s, it sounds like the sound is circling your head. Second, I was playing MW2 last night, sniping, and an enemy walked on the platform directly above me. I knew instantly that he was above and behind me and got an easy kill. On the PROs, I could hear the same footsteps, but I could never pinpoint where they were exactly. Once again, I highly recommend the 720s.

I was thinking about it last night, regarding having true 5.1 in headphones. If you have a 5.1 system, put all your speakers around you and have your fronts and rears right up on each other, slightly turned.....It would be hard to tell the difference between front and rear. Thats the problem I had with the PROs....You really had to stop and think where that sound originated from. With the 720s, there is absolutely no question where the sound is coming from.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact same heuristic I used to send back the Pro's without even trying them. As soon as my dongle gets here, I'll go pick up some 720s.

If you link through cnet's review you can get it for $119.99. Try this link and let me know whether or not it works (sorry - still a little new at this.)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton...10638425&skuId=9466124#tabbed-customerreviews

wow. Longer than I expected, but I can't tell for sure because I'm on my iPhone. If that link doens't work, just google tritton ax 720 and go to cnet. It should be one of the first search results. You'll see the link to the $119.99 price at the top of the review.

would you guys say there's any discrepancy between using it on an xbox vs a ps3 (like is it noticeably better on either one?) im using the Turtle Beach p21 right now, but i want something i can use on both systems.

also, hows it sound when no audio is going through, and does it pick up any sort of interference from other devices. reason i ask is the p21s make a very annoying hissing sound when theres no sound happening, and just wondering if these do anything like that. thanks!

[quote name='hibachiZX']would you guys say there's any discrepancy between using it on an xbox vs a ps3 (like is it noticeably better on either one?) im using the Turtle Beach p21 right now, but i want something i can use on both systems.

also, hows it sound when no audio is going through, and does it pick up any sort of interference from other devices. reason i ask is the p21s make a very annoying hissing sound when theres no sound happening, and just wondering if these do anything like that. thanks![/QUOTE]
No hissing on my AX720s. Mic might be better on PS3 per using USB instead of mini jack cable. Sound is Great!! on both systems..

not sure about 720s but for sure AXPROS throw out a weird static distortion. It isn't very bothersome as it only happens when absolutely nothing is going on

I'm right on the edge of 12 feet from my TV to couch. Is there an extension cable for the AX 720's? I'm not seeing one for that model on the their website. Does it use an OEM type connection or is a standard stereo cable?

add an extra 1.5 feet for the cords that go out the back... Does that get it close enough? ;)

Also, I'm loving the PROs after being recommended to by Ronzilla & a few other CAGs, but all of them said to try the 720's also & then return the pair you don't like. So tomorrow I plan on stopping by BB to pickup a pair of the 720's to see what ones I like better. My return policy has 14 days left on it for the PROs.

Another thing, the 720's are $10 off for the whole week for BF.

[quote name='LordKefka06']I can upload a picture of the PRO wires if you want. But I don't have the 720's.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind, sure. I appreciate it.

[quote name='LordKefka06']add an extra 1.5 feet for the cords that go out the back... Does that get it close enough? ;)[/QUOTE]

I noticed Tritton recommends using these to extend the cord on the AX Pro. I think I read the AX 720 was a 6 pin cable so I wonder if the 6 pin extension on that link would work? Anyone have any experience extending the length on the Pro? Any sound quality issues by doing so?

Thinking about picking these up at bestbuy on black friday for 119.99. My wife and I are expecting our first child in February. I expect these to be a big help in keeping quiet at night :)

[quote name='LordKefka06']Grays on the child, but do you plan on playing in the same room as your wife/child?[/QUOTE]

Oh no, the room is down the hall.

[quote name='GoRiLLaH']That's a lot to read through in this thread.

Is the general consensus stating that AX720 > AX Pro ?[/QUOTE]

From my experience and many on this Thread. YES!

Also:
Also as I posted earlier about the distance:

As far as playing from far distance:
you can buy longer Optical cables cheap here, 12-100ft.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...+cable&x=0&y=0

and plug in your Dolby Processor box closer to where you sit.

[quote name='spiderdog']From my experience and many on this Thread. YES!

Also:
Also as I posted earlier about the distance:

and plug in your Dolby Processor box closer to where you sit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation man...Now to find a deal on it.

[quote name='spiderdog']

and plug in your Dolby Processor box closer to where you sit.[/QUOTE]

That's an excellent point, I didn't think about that. Any issues with audio quality with a 10 to 12' optical cable? Does optical have a point at which quality starts to go down?

[quote name='GoRiLLaH']Thanks for the confirmation man...Now to find a deal on it.[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying it through bing cashback from best buy. After %10 of CB I get it for $108. Hope the CB shows up soon.

[quote name='etheidon']Oh no, the room is down the hall.[/QUOTE]K, good. The reason I ask is because there is major sound leakage from the PROs & 720s, so that might be a problem if you play in a room with a sleeping person.

[quote name='GoRiLLaH']That's a lot to read through in this thread.

Is the general consensus stating that AX720 > AX Pro ?[/QUOTE]Its close to 50-50. But it slightly favors the 720's, but that's probly because this is the 720 thread. I'll give you my personal experience with both after I get the 720s tomorrow.

[quote name='hibachiZX']also, hows it sound when no audio is going through, and does it pick up any sort of interference from other devices. reason i ask is the p21s make a very annoying hissing sound when theres no sound happening, and just wondering if these do anything like that. thanks![/QUOTE]I've had my PROs for over 2 weeks now & I've heard no such distortion/buzzing when no sound is going through the phones. When I get the 720's tomorrow, I'll tell you about them.

[quote name='lee337']If you don't mind, sure. I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='etheidon']After reading this thread, I am thining about trying the Tritton 720s for the low cost (compared to the x41) but wary of the wires and mic. Tritton's web site doesn't really show any pictures of the wires, so could someone tell me exactly what wires are involved with the 720s? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Picture002.jpg
I'll post a picture of the 720's when I get them tomorrow.

EDIT: The USB & optical cable are more like 2.5"

I've had the AX720's for 2 months now and I love them. It take a little getting used to playing games and pausing them with the DD on as it creates an echo like I am alone in a grand hall. The DD amp def pushes the volume up on them when compared to the PC/Mic preph, but I really enjoy them

[quote name='LordKefka06']Its close to 50-50. But it slightly favors the 720's, but that's probly because this is the 720 thread. I'll give you my personal experience with both after I get the 720s tomorrow.

I've had my PROs for over 2 weeks now & I've heard no such distortion/buzzing when no sound is going through the phones. When I get the 720's tomorrow, I'll tell you about them.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'd like to hear your take Kefka.

I will say that another thing you get with the PRO's over the 720's is the adjustments you can make to them.
For instance during campaign, I adjust the Sub Volume higher so I can really hear the BASS of the
bombs, vehicles, etc...that you REALLY want to hear.

When I play MP in MW2, I turn down the Sub Volume and increase the Front and Rears so I can hear enemies
sneaking up better. You CAN'T adjust the separate channels on the 720's, only the overall volume. Something to
consider but also dependent on what you're using them for.

But since you're spending $100+ dollars on a headset, do yourself a favor and test them out yourself & then
make the choice. :D

Yeah, I put my PROs to the minimum volume to reset all the channels, then I get the volume just right & put the bass about 2 clicks down.

Another thing I noticed was that the sound from somebody right behind you is little to non. Like in the intro of "The Pit" (1st lvl of MW2) when the instructor is talking to you & you turn your back to him, you can barely hear what he is saying.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Yeah, I put my PROs to the minimum volume to reset all the channels, then I get the volume just right & put the bass about 2 clicks down.

Another thing I noticed was that the sound from somebody right behind you is little to non. Like in the intro of "The Pit" (1st lvl of MW2) when the instructor is talking to you & you turn your back to him, you can barely hear what he is saying.[/QUOTE]

Mine sounds fine. Did you try setting the Dolby Digital Box's Volume ALL the way up? The setting on it is set extremely low.
I just click it 15 or so times making sure that it's at MAX volume. Then adjust the individual channels accordingly.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Mine sounds fine. Did you try setting the Dolby Digital Box's Volume ALL the way up? The setting on it is set extremely low.
I just click it 15 or so times making sure that it's at MAX volume. Then adjust the individual channels accordingly.[/QUOTE]When I played that first mission I didn't change any of the volumes/settings. Tomorrow I'll go through that same mission again with all of it fine tuned & see how it is.

Currently I have the time delay set at 8 ms. for each cup & the DDB's volume cranked up to the max. Then I have the headset's bass set 2 clicks below everything else.

EDIT: I finally figured out what the DRC does, & the Pro Logic. Also, the manual says it's best to set the Surround Sound time delay to the max (15) for the best 3D experience & then the Center: "However for gaming, the center time delay is less commonly used."

EDIT #2: The 720's Dobly Digital Decoder box has preset modes: Movies, Gaming, 5.1, & Stereo. Which have the time delay, DRC, & PL already set out for you so you don't have to make any adjustments, other than volume,.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated previously:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSerif
Thanks for that bit of info, always saw 1-3-4 on, and never 2.

So for Dolby Digital on the 360 and PS3, 2 never needs to be on?

So for Dolby Digital on the 360 and PS3, 2 never needs to be on?
correct
only 1-3-4 lights.

I own both the 720's and PROS. IMO for the cost and ease of use the 720s are the way to go. The presets are pretty much spot on. The PROS are going back to Costco.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Doyle, what one sounded better, IYO.[/QUOTE]
For me the 720's. I mostly base it on the fact that I dont want the fuss (and lack the will) to reajust all five speakers for every game. I also would get the occasional crackling noice during dialog in ACII and some other games that I dont get with the 720's. I would say for someone who is really a hardcore audiophile and wants the control they should get the pros. Pound for pound however, I like the 720's.

720's are also a lighter and more comfortable.

[quote name='erequena']For those of us that don't have 130+ to blow on a headset, I found (and purchased) the Cyberhome CH-SRD 600R. These are real surround headphones (5.1 in theory).
- Six separate internal speakers
- Analog and Optical inputs
- Only needs one AC cable
- Rechargable battery (included)
- NO MIC
- $15.95 + shipping ($9.75 as of this writing) on amazon

These are a great option if you don't have the cash for a more professional solution (and don't need a Mic). They are competent, with a noticeable background hiss on quiet scenes (not really noticeable when there's something actually going on in the game). The positional sounds seems accurate as well. I've been using them from a week and no issues yet (and they make one huge difference on the gaming experience, particulalrly for me, since I play from 12am to 3 am while my wife and baby girl sleep)

I'd definitely recommend them as a cheap acceptable replacement, specially if your looking for your first surround headphones and like to "test the waters" before committing to a pricer (very likely better) option

Again: These are NOT the best option, but for the price, might be the ONLY option to some of us :) to get headphone surround sound[/QUOTE]

I bought a $35 pair of 5.1 USB headphones and I can tell you that it's a waste of money to get cheap 5.1 headphones. There's 3 speakers per ear but usually you will get gameboy like speakers for the front and back. So the only way I can tell if the sound is coming from the front or back is that it sounded like I'm playing Contra.

Just got back from Best Buy with a pair of the 720's and...... They are a major disappointment & is a complete waste of my time.

Cons:

• They sound way too simulated & cheapy. (unlike the PROs)
  • The depth perception is completely off. However, when an enemy is "REALLY" close to you, then you can tell exactly where they are. (With the PROs, you can tell exactly "how far" and where they are.)
  • The gun sounds in MW2 made it sound way to simulated & like I was shooting a toy gun (unlike the PROs).
  • (Personal) I don't like the color white so that was a major turnoff.
  • The bass was a little bit too loud on the 720's & sadly, the dongle can't adjust it since its a stereo headset (unlike the PROs).
  • When any airsupport (MW2) came in, it completely dominated any other sound which made it impossible to tell enemy positions. As a matter of fact, any sound that is fairly close to you completely dominates the phones & blocks everything else out (unlike the PROs).
  • There is a constant buzzing sound that gets annoying when there is no sound going through the phones (unlike the PROs)
  • No LEDs for the Tritton logo. (unlike the PROs)
Neutral:

• I couldn't tell any difference between the feel of the PROs & 720's.

Pros:

• I did like the box design of the 720's
  • Nicer mute button design compared to the PRO, but that is very very minor.

Bottom line: The PROs blow the 720's completely out of the water & up to heaven. It's completely worth the extra $50 for the PROs. I would actually prefer to play games on my TV's speakers than the 720s.

PROs = God

[quote name='LordKefka06']Just got back from Best Buy with a pair of the 720's and...... They are a major disappointment & is a complete waste of my time.

Cons:

• They sound way too simulated & cheapy. (unlike the PROs)
  • The depth perception is completely off. However, when an enemy is "REALLY" close to you, then you can tell exactly where they are. (With the PROs, you can tell exactly "how far" and where they are.)
  • The gun sounds in MW2 made it sound way to simulated & like I was shooting a toy gun (unlike the PROs).
  • (Personal) I don't like the color white so that was a major turnoff.
  • The bass was a little bit too loud on the 720's & sadly, the dongle can't adjust it since its a stereo headset (unlike the PROs).
  • When any airsupport (MW2) came in, it completely dominated any other sound which made it impossible to tell enemy positions. As a matter of fact, any sound that is fairly close to you completely dominates the phones & blocks everything else out (unlike the PROs).
  • There is a constant buzzing sound that gets annoying when there is no sound going through the phones (unlike the PROs)
  • No LEDs for the Tritton logo. (unlike the PROs)
Neutral:

• I couldn't tell any difference between the feel of the PROs & 720's.

Pros:

• I did like the box design of the 720's
  • Nicer mute button design compared to the PRO, but that is very very minor.

Bottom line: The PROs blow the 720's completely out of the water & up to heaven. It's completely worth the extra $50 for the PROs. I would actually prefer to play games on my TV's speakers than the 720s.

PROs = God

[/QUOTE]

Kinda figured you'd like the PRO's better but everyone's different so ya never know ;).

I will say though that another pro of the 720's is the quick disconnect between the headset & inline. More convenience than anything.

Thanks for the feedback. :D

Kefka, are you sure you didnt have it on movie mode? Movie mode sounds exactly like how you described. If you keep it on just regular 5.1, none of the issues you described occur. In fact, on the proper 5.1 mode, I will go on record as saying every single thing you pointed out was incorrect, IMHO......

[quote name='Apostle22']Kefka, are you sure you didnt have it on movie mode? Movie mode sounds exactly like how you described. If you keep it on just regular 5.1, none of the issues you described occur. In fact, on the proper 5.1 mode, I will go on record as saying every single thing you pointed out was incorrect, IMHO......[/QUOTE]

Movie mode is the same thing as Game mode according to the manual:
http://support.trittontechnologies....m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=65

Am I missing something?

Ok after picking these up today I am not digging them. I'm not used to the size and frankly they don't sound as good as reference headphones I'm used to. I think I'm going to go back to a stereo setup with some grado sr80's.

Is there anything similar to the Astro mixamp for controlling voice and in game volume? I want to get a clip on mic and use the grados but I need to be able to turn down the in game volume so I can hear the other players using voice. The xbox 360 playback of voice through the headphones is not enough. I don't feel like paying $130 for the mixamp however.

[quote name='etheidon']Ok after picking these up today I am not digging them. I'm not used to the size and frankly they don't sound as good as reference headphones I'm used to. I think I'm going to go back to a stereo setup with some grado sr80's.

Is there anything similar to the Astro mixamp for controlling voice and in game volume? I want to get a clip on mic and use the grados but I need to be able to turn down the in game volume so I can hear the other players using voice. The xbox 360 playback of voice through the headphones is not enough. I don't feel like paying $130 for the mixamp however.[/QUOTE]Tritton AX PROs will solve all your problems.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Tritton AX PROs will solve all your problems.[/QUOTE]

Form factor is too big. Wish there was a cheaper wag to get a a40 mixamp

[quote name='bugg33']Movie mode is the same thing as Game mode according to the manual:
http://support.trittontechnologies....m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=65

Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

I'm not home right now so I dont know the exact name of the sound fields....Anyways, there are 3 options.....5.1 mode, movie mode, and sound mode.....THe sound mode is when the green light is on the base unit, movie mode is when 3 white lights are on, and 5.1 mode is just when 1 light is on......

As I said earlier, movie mode gives the sound greater range, but sound quality sucks. Everything that Kefka posted sounds like movie mode when playing a game. Regular 5.1 mode kicks some serious ass.

The PROs do not offer anywhere near the same sound seperation as the 720s do.

I picked up a pair of the 720s yesterday. While I am happy with the sound, I am getting some bad buzzing feedback from the mic. Has anyone come across this and found a way to fix it. Otherwise back they go for a new pair.

bread's done
Back