Tritton headsets on sale at amazon.

I love my axPro's. The only reason i went with the ax pro's were because they put out true 5.1 unlike the 720's are optical audio, simulated 5.1.

I just bought these audio technica's last week ($120) along with the turtle beach ear force 5.1/7.1 amp. These would have saved me some money but I don't need to have the chat option and just need them to be able to game at night when the family is sleeping.....oh well. I did a few days of research but B. Cooper's very detailed review (which can be found on the ax pro's page, second one down) led me to look into the setup I went with. For a grand total of $192 :eek:uch:

[quote name='sikct9a']I love my axPro's. The only reason i went with the ax pro's were because they put out true 5.1 unlike the 720's are optical audio, simulated 5.1.[/QUOTE]

thats the only reason you needed to 720 over pros. theres a majority of people prefer dobly headphone that gives stimulated sound vs "true 5.1" on tiny drivers. the pros have five tiny drivers in an earcuff. they give you positioning by giving sound off each driver. thus, you notice the huge gap when a sound is in between drivers. dobly headphone uses alogrithms to change frequency and amptitude to trick your brain into getting surround sound. it does a great job.

if you got 250, then i suggest the 2011 astro a40s with 5.8 wireless mixamp.

half the price, you get the ax720 box + closed headset. benefit is that you can upgrade the headphones that connect into the 720 DH box.

theres also the tb options - dss, x31, x41, hp5/x

dont do anymore research or you'll get upgraditis (eg: beyer dynamic 990 or a denon d7000).

[quote name='sikct9a']I love my axPro's. The only reason i went with the ax pro's were because they put out true 5.1 unlike the 720's are optical audio, simulated 5.1.[/QUOTE]

Both the AX 720 and AX Pro can use an optical audio input. The difference is whether the multi-channel input is processed into signals sent to two drivers or eight drivers.

I have the AX 720s and I love them. They add so much more to the gaming experience that I never knew headphones could. Highly recommended.

[quote name='shadowkast']I just bought these audio technica's last week ($120) along with the turtle beach ear force 5.1/7.1 amp. These would have saved me some money but I don't need to have the chat option and just need them to be able to game at night when the family is sleeping.....oh well. I did a few days of research but B. Cooper's very detailed review (which can be found on the ax pro's page, second one down) led me to look into the setup I went with. For a grand total of $192 :eek:uch:[/QUOTE]

Honestly if you don't need chat functions these headsets provide the ATH-A700 (or AD700) are so much better at everything else it's not even funny.

[quote name='Psybuster']Honestly if you don't need chat functions these headsets provide the ATH-A700 (or AD700) are so much better at everything else it's not even funny.[/QUOTE]

This.

I love my AD700's to death, and like a few other gamers i just hang the headset off my shirt.

I have the 720's and they are great.

One of my co-workers has the ax pro and i have to say there is quite a bit of difference.

I really wish i had shelled out the extra money for the pros. The pros have a much much more distinct bass and the surround isn't simulated, there's a speaker for each channel in the headphone. Also the 720s have a control box for them that feels kinda cheap and needs to sit on a surface like a desk, the Pros have a little box that can dangle from the cord and has many more options on it to control the volume levels for each channel.

If your on the fence about maybe getting the Pros, they are worth it, dont get me wrong the 720s are nice but the Pros will cum in your earpussy.

[quote name='haize']...the Pros have a little box that can dangle from the cord...[/QUOTE]

The decoder box (unlike the volume control) is not that little (or light). And people wonder why these things break...

[quote name='haize']the Pros will cum in your earpussy.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I wish I hadn't just eaten when I read this post. I think you wanted a different site with "ass" in the name.

Hm, I never thought of it before but this would solve the problem of my gf and my late night gaming. She's a very light sleeper so I have to play my games at very low volume and with subtitles enabled.

Can anyone give me a crash course on wireless headsets for gaming consoles? Or would I just get a receiver and hook all of them up to that?

[quote name='gantt']The decoder box (unlike the volume control) is not that little (or light). And people wonder why these things break...

Wow, I wish I hadn't just eaten when I read this post. I think you wanted a different site with "ass" in the name.[/QUOTE]

sorry meant to be a Tenacious D reference.

[quote name='Layd Dly']This.

I love my AD700's to death, and like a few other gamers i just hang the headset off my shirt.[/QUOTE]

i agree the ad700s are good. you can do as good with senn 555 mods on a mixamp for a little bit cheaper.

for those of you that think the pros are better than the 720s, then good for you. each person has different ears and earing.

for those that really want to get into this, read up: DH is superior. the astros and 720s have DH (dobly headphone). the turtle beach dss (x31,x41) has their version of DH but it has more hiss.

shin's guide (or MLE on head fi)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285726

summary of best of list:
Competitive
K701
HD598
PC360
AD700
DT990
D7000
Creative Aurvana Live
KSC75

Fun:
D7000
DT990
Creative Aurvana Live
DT770/600ohm (bass heavy version with bass ports)
DT770 Pro 80
KSC75

[quote name='Tonious']Hm, I never thought of it before but this would solve the problem of my gf and my late night gaming. She's a very light sleeper so I have to play my games at very low volume and with subtitles enabled.

Can anyone give me a crash course on wireless headsets for gaming consoles? Or would I just get a receiver and hook all of them up to that?[/QUOTE]

depends on what you have - 360 or ps3. if you have $250, save yourself the hassle and get astros a40s includes wireless 5.8 mixamp dac box plus headphones. the tritton 720s are half the price but are wired. both systems give you DH box where you plug into the system by optical. then you connect the headphones provided or your own ito the DH box. theres two types of headphones - closed vs open. open headphones (notoriously or famously - sennheisers). they leak sound. so you probably want closed cans to not wake up your gf.

ps3/360 --> optical --> Dobly headphone dac box --> headphone
if you want chat, then its more complicated.

i bought my system for late gaming and not waking up people. its great. DH on great setups can rival home theater setups. you can hook up headphones to a receiver if your receive can dolby headphone. yahama has a headphone setting. otherwise, go with trittons or the astro mixamp.

I got the Sharkoon's last time they were on sale 39.96

I dunno how they compare to other headsets but as someone who never had a headset, i love it!

[quote name='nakanenui']But for 129.99 isnt the axpro basically a good deal right now?[/QUOTE]

its a good deal. but i wouldnt recommend it because of no dobly headphone processing.

with a good DH setup, in mw2 you can hear every single footstep and their direction in relation to you. in black ops, the sound is so messed up that it really doesnt add anything.

[quote name='triforcer']i heard the 720's have an issue with the head band part. apparently it's pretty stiff and can crack when you're removing the headset if you're not too careful.[/QUOTE]

Yep, mine did. I grabbed the AX Pros for $129 at Best Buy today to replace them. I can really tell the difference between the 2. The AX Pros have a richer/deeper bass and just a better overall sound. It sounds sick, but I'm glad my 720s busted...

[quote name='PCWONK']Yep, mine did. I grabbed the AX Pros for $129 at Best Buy today to replace them. I can really tell the difference between the 2. The AX Pros have a richer/deeper bass and just a better overall sound. It sounds sick, but I'm glad my 720s busted...[/QUOTE]

Wish I would've realized the Ax Pros were $40 off at Best Buy. Guess I'm too late, obviously.

I bought the 180 version a while back and they broke within a month with not much use and I was quite careful with them. But the band that connected the earpiece just snapped on both side. So are these reliable? I just want to hear my games with headphones and be able to chat from time to time and am not really sure about the differences.

Just got my headphones in. quick question, after power down the phones, do you also unplug the power connector? I noticed the volume box and the phones are still lighted, so I just decided to unplug them when not in use.

bread's done
Back