Tron: Legacy Limited Edition Five Disc Blu Ray set (Includes original Tron)

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
81iuM2XxaQL_AA1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Limited-...PABK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296764782&sr=8-1

3D Blu Ray, regular Blu Ray, DVD, Digital Copy and the original on Blu.

No release date, no price, only the listing on Amazon..

I'm put off by the fact that there's no actual Blu-Ray case (it looks like it'll just be the five discs inside the case).. but after seeing the original Tron's new Blu-Ray artwork, maybe that's not such a bad thing

that packaging looks like the Target Shrek w/ figure sets and the Transformer things..god I hate things that don't fit perfectly into my Ikea shelf I use for all my media..

I wonder if it really lights up via small batteries or a USB plug, that might be neat..

[quote name='LoveLost']I Want. I'm guessing $50[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing more. I expect this edition to retail for $60-70, but I'm also sure Amazon will have a reduced price on it.

Let's bring up some of the past "special editions" Amazon has sold and their current prices:

Star Trek (2009) w/Enterprise replica: $92.99 (somewhere between $90 - $100) (selling used/new right now for $179.99 and up from 3rd party sellers)
Alice In Wonderland 3-disc combo pack w/framed film sell set: $109.99
Watchmen 2-disc pack w/Night Owl ship replica: $107.99

If this is really an Amazon-exclusive edition like the past ones above, it could easily be $75 or more, possibly over $100. Admittedly, people have picked up the AIW and Watchmen sets for cheaper this past holiday season, though that was an exception.

I'm guessing this is a special collector's edition since it has that weird glowing frisbee thing. There'll probably be another edition in a standard case for a lower price.

edit: I don't think this will be an Amazon exclusive either

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah it really does look bad. I was hoping they went with something like this:

tron_cover.jpg

It would compliment the Legacy cover nicely[/QUOTE]

Likely the exact reason they DIDN'T use that art, they "don't want to confuse people".

Disney really sucks sometimes.

What kind of 3D is the Tron Legacy 3D Blu-ray? I get so confused with that term being thrown around everywhere. Is it the kind that comes with paper 3D glasses or is it the kind that requires a 3D TV?

[quote name='rapsodist']What kind of 3D is the Tron Legacy 3D Blu-ray? I get so confused with that term being thrown around everywhere. Is it the kind that comes with paper 3D glasses or is it the kind that requires a 3D TV?[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll see any 3D besides the real deal these days. It'll be a Blu-ray 3D disc and will require a 3D tv

See...it was a very smart move for us to sell the Tron 2 disc DVD...they already started changing shit...starting with the title!!! I wonder if the main movie logo will be some how altered. I don't like how this is going.... The package looks cool, but I just can't justify the price for it to get all that when I don't have a 3dtv/3d br player or an ipod for the digital copy. At least throw in the scores to both movies :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']Yeah it really does look bad. I was hoping they went with something like this:

tron_cover.jpg

It would compliment the Legacy cover nicely[/QUOTE]

I have the original poster framed as well as the stand up arcade cabinet for the original Tron.

I'm totally pumped the original is getting the Blu Ray re-release and I'll likely just buy whatever is cheapest.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm put off by the fact that there's no actual Blu-Ray case [/QUOTE]

This. But depending on the price, maybe I'll just grab it and do custom cases.

[quote name='Slappybob']So has this announcement killed the inflated price of the original DVD yet?[/QUOTE]

No. What's even weirder, though, is that even with the scarcity of the DVD and all, Youtube has allowed the original Tron to be on their site. (They had to approve it since the video is an hour and a half long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCZtp0sLuQ

Is Tron Legacy good enough for a blind buy? I have fond memories of the original but, honestly, it doesn't hold up well (it's slow)...

[quote name='MachineElf']Is Tron Legacy good enough for a blind buy? I have fond memories of the original but, honestly, it doesn't hold up well (it's slow)...[/QUOTE]

Honestly...it was "OK"...nothing spectacular or anything...The effects were good..nothing memorable...UNLESS you consider the tech behind making Jeff Bridges look like Starman. :p I'd rent/stream it first before buying then make your choice.

[quote name='MachineElf']Is Tron Legacy good enough for a blind buy? I have fond memories of the original but, honestly, it doesn't hold up well (it's slow)...[/QUOTE]

Well, nobody would say Tron Legacy is slow. I personally liked it, but lots of people didn't, so YMMV.

[quote name='token2k6']that packaging looks like the Target Shrek w/ figure sets and the Transformer things..god I hate things that don't fit perfectly into my Ikea shelf I use for all my media..

I wonder if it really lights up via small batteries or a USB plug, that might be neat..[/QUOTE]
your first mistake was buying ikea :lol:

and these type of things deserve their own shelf, that is the whole point of limited/collectors edition type things, they are supposed to stand out, besides if you leave it in the box it will fit fine in your overpriced shoddy made ikea

I honestly think the music makes the entire movie, not to mention the special effects.

I really enjoyed it, but like others said, YMMV there because a good amount of people didn't.

I'm very curious on the price of this set, it looks REALLY nice, but I'll probably end up with the 5 disc cased version.

But we'll see I guess

thanks op for pointing this out!

EDIT:

wow.. I just saw the original tron boxart.

it looks absolutely awful....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd wager that the combo set that doesn't include the identity disc to end up MSRPing at $69.99 and be on Amazon for $45-$50. The special set with the identity disc is likely to be on Amazon for $100-$150.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Wow the original TRON box art is horrible, I really hope it's at least a 3D image or something.[/QUOTE]

Trust me dude, you can get awesome alternate dvd art to print out elsewhere

$55.99 for the non-limited edition combo set, and $69.99 for the limited edition combo set.

I'm surprised it's that little for the LE set, and I'm wondering how the packaging will go for that one, if it'll be another Toy Story Toy Box packaging mess. Also makes me wonder how good the identity disc is in the packaging.

Yeah not bad for the LE, but that regular edition price seems too high. I was thinking $49.99 for that one. Amazon will likely have discounts on it though.

[quote name='shrike4242']$55.99 for the non-limited edition combo set, and $69.99 for the limited edition combo set.

I'm surprised it's that little for the LE set, and I'm wondering how the packaging will go for that one, if it'll be another Toy Story Toy Box packaging mess. Also makes me wonder how good the identity disc is in the packaging.[/QUOTE]

If you notice on Amazon, the actual MSRP is $99.99. Amazon just discounted it to $69.99. The regular edition is $79.99 and amazon reduced it to $55.99. Those original prices, particularly for the standard one are ridiculous. Hopefully they come down a little bit more, or they offer some additional incentive

[quote name='ITDEFX']See...it was a very smart move for us to sell the Tron 2 disc DVD...they already started changing shit...starting with the title!!! I wonder if the main movie logo will be some how altered. I don't like how this is going....[/QUOTE]
You're joking, right?

They didn't change anything about the first movie. They didn't change the name or the title sequence. They didn't add new effects or anything. They just added a few extra words to the box to make it clear what it is. It's not really any different from a "Special Edition" or "Director's Cut" banner on a DVD case. It doesn't actually show up in the title sequence in the movie itself. It's not a new name for the movie itself; just a banner on the box.

I've seen the new HD remaster of the first movie, and it's absolutely awesome. They have not messed with it at all, other than to clean up the picture (and don't worry, they didn't do anything to remove the intentional film grain in the image), so relax. Man, a few words about "Original Classic" on a Blu-Ray box, and people get all paranoid and jumpy about them messing with the movie...yeesh...

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Nevermind, found it on the very bottom of the page on Amazon below the 4 and 5 disc releases and under Tangled and Logan's Run...

Jesus, $55.99 for the non-LE? I'm assuming that's a Tron: Legacy 3D disc (which also contains the film in 2D), a bonus features Blu for Legacy, DVD + Digital Copies of Legacy, and a Blu of Tron "Classic".

I liked the cover art on the 5 disc way better than that on the separate releases, but not $55.99 more. I'm betting Disney will do the same thing they did for A Christmas Carol and only release a coupon for the most expensive version (in this case, the 5 disc). Hopefully it's higher than a $10 coupon

frickin highway robbery for that set, and plus as previously stated it does look to be one of those target ironman/transformers plastic cases. But the standard edition with original tron for 55? WTF.

price is inflated because of the damn 3d version being included. who wants to buy that disc off me? Having the dvd version is nice for my kid but I think he's too young to get into this movie. Then the digital copy....

So out of the 5 discs....I only want 2.

crossing my fingers for some DMR coupons!!

[quote name='shadowkast']price is inflated because of the damn 3d version being included. who wants to buy that disc off me? Having the dvd version is nice for my kid but I think he's too young to get into this movie. Then the digital copy....

So out of the 5 discs....I only want 2.

crossing my fingers for some DMR coupons!![/QUOTE]
You know there's also a two disc version with just the Blu and DVD, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Legacy-T...=sr_1_12?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1296801823&sr=1-12

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You're joking, right?

They didn't change anything about the first movie. They didn't change the name or the title sequence. They didn't add new effects or anything. They just added a few extra words to the box to make it clear what it is. It's not really any different from a "Special Edition" or "Director's Cut" banner on a DVD case. It doesn't actually show up in the title sequence in the movie itself. It's not a new name for the movie itself; just a banner on the box.

I've seen the new HD remaster of the first movie, and it's absolutely awesome. They have not messed with it at all, other than to clean up the picture (and don't worry, they didn't do anything to remove the intentional film grain in the image), so relax. Man, a few words about "Original Classic" on a Blu-Ray box, and people get all paranoid and jumpy about them messing with the movie...yeesh...[/QUOTE]

It's like people who stupidly think Han shot first. . .

[quote name='basilofbkrst']It's like people who stupidly think Han shot first. . .[/QUOTE]

Why, yes. This is totally the same as the Star Wars Special Editions. Three extra words on the box, and nowhere else, are totally comparable to what Lucas did to Star Wars, which included radically altering the actual film content, not just in presentation, color grading, and special effects, but also character development and atmosphere.

If that was supposed to be a joke, it sucked.

bread's done
Back