TRU Black Friday Ad leaked! 5pm Thanksgiving!

Hey everyone if you spend $120 at BBY for the new GCU you can have Buy one get 40% off another every day of the year! :boxing:

Just pointing out I think that "deal" at TRU is pretty lame.

I do wonder if this year will be a bad year for deals on last gen games just to drive next gen sales.
Lol, equating a "free" deal vs. a 2 year membership at 120 dollars. Totally the same, guys.

Yeah im sorry im a CAGer but I am completely against stores forcing employees to work on a Holiday. Its sick honestly, im sure pleny of these people are going to be having there relatives over the house and will have to prolly be required to be at TRU by 3 to get ready for a stupid sale.

Its pathetic honestly, im not supporting this at all.

TRU usually has 12+ hour shifts for Black Friday. It does seems stupid to close for some of the day but still open when many people would be eating dinner on a holiday that is entirely about said dinner. And it's not like it's the kind of business that is vital like some jobs that require holiday work.
I get that it's not a core service or vital for people to be there. I suppose as someone who works every Thanksgiving, and was aware that it would be that way when I got into my job, yet still manages to spend time with his family on that day, I have little compassion for the plight of working holidays. A 12 hour or double shift is a bit much to expect on a holiday, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the problem? The fact that companies are screwing the thousands of employees more and more every year. Not everyone gets Thanksgiving off now, and they are completely ruining the holiday.
Customers are ruining the holiday by shopping on Thanksgiving. If zero people are at TRU on Thanksgiving at 5pm, I bet they don't open at 5PM in 2014.

It's all based on Walmart and people being dumb enough to think door busters are really that worth it. Walmart started the whole on Thanksgiving day opening and all the other retailers wanted to compete so yayyyy. Target is opening at 6pm I believe. fuck. you. all. 

/rant

But every year I get all I want from online shopping during black friday/day before so yeah.

If they didn't FORCE the employees to work there (blocking out vacation days, etc.), I'd be more for it. If you need lots of employees, pay them triple time if you have to to get enough of them to work there but don't force them.

The worst part about it, doorbusters only good from 5pm-9pm on Thanksgiving
You mean when all of America is sitting down to dinner? Yeah, I said fuck you to TRU a long time ago and I see nothing has changed to alter that. Feel bad for their employees; what a shitter company.

That said, the 'deal' on B1G1 is awful. Just get in on the Target B2G1 deal or w/e Amazon BF deals spring up.

I get that it's not a core service or vital for people to be there. I suppose as someone who works every Thanksgiving, and was aware that it would be that way when I got into my job, yet still manages to spend time with my family on that day, I have little compassion for the plight of working holidays. A 12 hour or double shift is a bit much to expect on a holiday, though.
I knew I'd be working on Black Friday and have no complaints there. I just don't love that it somehow starts 7-12 hours before the norm now. I don't really care that much about Thanksgiving personally, I just chat for a few hours then play some splitscreen games, but I know many of my co-workers are going to have ruined holidays if they have to work so early.

It also sucks that employees can't take part in a lot of the sales themselves, they should give them some kind of special website where they can log in with their employee ID and buy a doorbuster or two after finishing up their shift.

haha jeez at that 5 pm start time, thanksgiving is for the fools ;)

nothing really for me, except that disney infinity at half off but meh if nothing happens after my dinner i'll head to the toys r us 5 minutes away.

i need to see the big guns, best buy and wal mart

Man we really need to start boycotting Thanksgiving day events, they are getting out of hand... I mean it was bad enough when they started at 8pm but now they're creeping to 5pm so what's next?
Agreed. It really has to suck for these workers not getting to spend time with their families. I picked up my games I wanted at Walmart when they were selling them early last year and morale was just down. I could over hear all over the store they were all down they had to work while they had family at home.

As much as I like deals on BF, I'd rather these people see family.

After browsing this as, there really is nothing worth fighting soccer moms, grandma, or worse over.

Might end up being mostly steam deals for me.

When I worked at Best Buy, they required a 12 hour shift (so that you couldn't get ot). The last year I worked there they required us to be there at 8 PM on thanksgiving... then a 12 hour shift over night. Some employees just literally chugged an energy drink constantly (which is not healthy) or slept through the holiday and didn't get to celebrate! I understand working on thnaksgiving normal hours, but the overnight that is required does not allow retail employees the time to be with family and the reason for the holiday!
I worked at Meijer for 6 years. The only day we were ever closed was Christmas day. They had employees coming in at midnight so that the store could be ready and reopen on the 26th. For Thanksgiving I almost always had to work, which made me miss out almost every year. My family celebrates Christmas as a big family on the 24th, of which I always had to work so I missed that too. Pretty much if you work retail you hate every holiday because you got to put up with more crap/customers and you miss out on family functions every year. So glad I am out of that lol.

Meh, deals tbh, yeah wii u is enticing but if you have a ps3 you already have last of us. The video games arent all the enticing because you have to buy one $60 then another for 40% off, and you run into the risk of thw certain games that you want to be sold out

What a shit sale. Buy 1 get 1 for a dollar on older titles? A few years back I got Halo Reach and Madden 11 for 61 total. Weak sale and dumb that they're opening early.

Pretty much if you work retail you hate every holiday because you got to put up with more crap/customers and you miss out on family functions every year. So glad I am out of that lol.
Be kind to your retail employees, especially during the holidays. Having worked behind a counter myself, I am no stranger to just how hard dealing with customers can be. A simple smile and a bit of deference can make a huge difference. Don't antagonize retail employees.

if the wii u was a 32 gig id prob bite and then flip skylanders. besides that its meh. b1g1 40% off isnt even saving half off the second game which sucks and i dont want a 3ds (especially since the luigi game isnt a physical copy). mabye ill check out the 19.99$ titles but thats it. this will be the third straight bf that i havent gotten anything at tru if i dont buy anything from this

The price on the Skylanders bundle is good, but I'm not really sure if I want to head to a TRU at 5pm on Thanksgiving to get one. I hope Wal-Mart or Best Buy has the same price for a Wii U, but the Mario Bundle. Don't really want an 8GB console and I would rather have the game on PS3.

Other than that, not too many great deals and the 5pm start time is nuts. Here's hoping Wal-Mart at least sticks to the 8pm start time from last year, but I'm probably getting my hopes up.

That $150 3DS Luigi bundle is the first 3DS deal I've seen, but still no Vita deals.

Hoping other retailers step up, I really need a Vita before Ys Celceta is released.

I don't see any issue having sales on Thanksgiving because the companies are not forcing the employees to work at the store, if the employees don't like working holidays they are free to go work at a place that isn't opened on a holiday.  If you get a job a Toys R Us you already pretty much know what you're signing up for I would think.  Also, not everyone cares about a specific holiday, or even has family around so they would probably rather make some $ than be in their house doing nothing.

Obviously the people not working enjoy going out with their family shopping during thanksgiving/black friday otherwise we wouldn't be seeing this.  

As to the ad itself, meh, hopefully we get some better deals elsewhere.

5pm...at this rate 12 next year, and Thursday mornings by 2015, then we can all actually celebrate thanksgiving with our families in the evenings again Lol

That $150 3DS Luigi bundle is the first 3DS deal I've seen, but still no Vita deals.

Hoping other retailers step up, I really need a Vita before Ys Celceta is released.
On page 14 is a 3DS XL for full price - 199.99 and you can buy a 59.99 skylanders starter pack for 9.99. I need to buy 2 3ds xl's this holiday so I may have to get that two times and sell those starter packs. I wish they would just have it at a $50 reduced price. Maybe Target or Best Buy will do better.

On page 14 is a 3DS XL for full price - 199.99 and you can buy a 59.99 skylanders starter pack for 9.99. I need to buy 2 3ds xl's this holiday so I may have to get that two times and sell those starter packs. I wish they would just have it at a $50 reduced price. Maybe Target or Best Buy will do better.
I bet best buy will have money off of the 3ds. That's what they did last year I think

Man we really need to start boycotting Thanksgiving day events, they are getting out of hand... I mean it was bad enough when they started at 8pm but now they're creeping to 5pm so what's next?
Unfortunately its customer demand that created this monster. The Walmart stampedes from maybe 2 years ago is what started retailers opening earlier and earlier each year. To the point of someone else on the board more stores will start opening all day and unfortunately I believe one store is already doing it, they are going to open at 6am on Thanksgiving day and will remain open to 41 straight hours.

Unfortunately its customer demand that created this monster. The Walmart stampedes from maybe 2 years ago is what started retailers opening earlier and earlier each year. To the point of someone else on the board more stores will start opening all day and unfortunately I believe one store is already doing it, they are going to open at 6am on Thanksgiving day and will remain open to 41 straight hours.
No, it's not customer demand that caused this. It's the recession. It's been a race to open sooner and start Christmas earlier because the amount of money available to spend for the holidays went down significantly so everyone was trying to get the money earliest.

Nothing for me, except maybe the 80% off clearance deal.  I doubt I'd make it back in time to go to my local TRU though.

For anyone who doesn't think that Black Friday absolutely destroys the Thanksgiving holiday: go fuck yourselves.  Even those of us with holiday pay/paid vacation time are SOL from Black Friday through Xmas and it makes planning family events almost impossible.  I can see opening up on Friday morning super early but Thursday openings are bullshit.

Will TRU and other stores in Boston be open during Thanksgiving? I remember last year because of some law businesses couldn't open during Thanksgiving except for Walmart which void all of the Door Buster deals.
I doubt it unless someone got some sort of huge payoff

The worst part about it, doorbusters only good from 5pm-9pm on Thanksgiving
If past TRU BFs are any guide, only the first half of the line at 5 p.m. even has a chance at being able to check out by 9 p.m. Hours in the line waiting to get into the store if you get there at open time and another hour in line to check-out has been par for the course, in my experience.

Dumbest remark on the entire board... "Go work somewhere else, you knew what you would have to do"

That is completely untrue, All I was told was that I would be required to work Black Friday!  NOT THANKSGIVING!!!  I have never been told that when I have interviewed for any retail jobs....

I don't see any issue having sales on Thanksgiving because the companies are not forcing the employees to work at the store, if the employees don't like working holidays they are free to go work at a place that isn't opened on a holiday. If you get a job a Toys R Us you already pretty much know what you're signing up for I would think. Also, not everyone cares about a specific holiday, or even has family around so they would probably rather make some $ than be in their house doing nothing.

Obviously the people not working enjoy going out with their family shopping during thanksgiving/black friday otherwise we wouldn't be seeing this.

As to the ad itself, meh, hopefully we get some better deals elsewhere.
See that's the deal...companies know jobs are in low supply high demand so they can get away with poor work hours. I took a 15% pay cut and demoted to part time (as did pretty much everyone else at my workplace) because of this fact. So we really can't go work elsewhere (I'm not in retail though)....

I do blame a lot of the fools at walmart that can't do simple math. "Hey 10% off that display model tv that's been there for 8 months...that's a deal...." People need to browse online more and price check crap.

365 days in there year...the only reason people get out and shop on black friday is because they THINK they can save a ton of money and buy things they couldn't afford before....which 99% of the time simply isn't the truth.

I hope this PS3 bundle with Batman AO isn't a sign that Batman AO won't be on sale by itself somewhere for Black Friday.

I feel sorry for the associates. If their lives didn't suck enough having to work stupid hours, now they don't get to spend time with their families. Since I don't have family anywhere near... I'm going to go look for Zelda Windwaker on Wii U and get Pokémon Y at 40% off.

bread's done
Back