TRU Buy 3 Get one One free on all Video Games Dec16-22 Extended through Dec 24!

MujuroUtsutsu

CAG Veteran
Just to give a heads up Toys R Us is having a buy 3 get the 4th free on all video games starting the 16th. Not as good as the buy 2 get 1 deal but with all the blockbuster titles that came out this year its still a decent bargain.

TRU

this is a bs deal. They wont have any good games in stock, plus you wont be able to return the junky games for good games later.

I regret the buy two get 1 free deal. It wasn't worth the price in gas.

My TRU actually has all the good games in stock right now. Of course opinion varies a little, but we had for 360, COD4, Mass Effect, Orange Box, Assassins Creed, Rockband just to name a few. Wii we had SMG, Metroid, Mario Sonic Olympics, RE:Umbrella Chronicles, Zak and Wiki, GH3.

Out of all of those I only own 1 so this deal is not that bad. Plus if you open a credit card you get 10 percent off. Plus associates get another 10 percent. Its not a terrible deal.

The only way to return merchandise without a receipt anymore is if you paid with a credit card.

*Edit: Just buy 4 games the middle of next week, most TRUs give you 14 days to adjust sale prices. So bring your receipt back in, they will return all the merchandise and rering it and you get the 4th free.

[quote name='MujuroUtsutsu']My TRU actually has all the good games in stock right now. Of course opinion varies a little, but we had for 360, COD4, Mass Effect, Orange Box, Assassins Creed, Rockband just to name a few. Wii we had SMG, Metroid, Mario Sonic Olympics, RE:Umbrella Chronicles, Zak and Wiki, GH3.

Out of all of those I only own 1 so this deal is not that bad. Plus if you open a credit card you get 10 percent off. Plus associates get another 10 percent. Its not a terrible deal.

The only way to return merchandise without a receipt anymore is if you paid with a credit card.

*Edit: Just buy 4 games the middle of next week, most TRUs give you 14 days to adjust sale prices. So bring your receipt back in, they will return all the merchandise and rering it and you get the 4th free.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this deal is tempting because they did the B2G1F earlier, they didn't have a lot of the more recent releases even though they should have.

I might go and get some of the $10 games though since someone previously said Lunar Knights was only $10.

[quote name='Snake2715']Wolfpup....

If you buy 3x $50 games you are out $150 and get on $50 free.

If you buy two games you spend $100 for $100 in games?

He could buy the two previously bought $100 (return later with original receipts -$100) and then buy a third game $50 and get a fourth game free $50 all for $50 out of pocket.

I am not understanding where you are coming from UNLESS you are referring the the SMG gift card issue or something.[/quote]

THANK YOU for explaining it. It's pretty obvious why one would want to do this. I don't see what there is to NOT understand. ;)

You buy 2 games before the sale and get NOTHING free. You buy those same 2 games + a 3rd, and get a 4th free one. Then you return the opened copies with your original receipt --- it's like the original purchase never happened.

Note for those that like to buy and swap later, I had a manager in the video game department ask me last time if I was exchanging a B2G1 game for a new game. I said no, even though I was.

He said OK, because you aren't allowed to exchange a B2G1 game for a game that came out after the sale, per TRU policy. Fortunately, he just walked me up to the front couter with the new game and didn't bother to check to see if I was lying or not.

I didn't have this problem exchanging games at this TRU previously or at another TRU until this last exchange. I'm not sure if this is a new policy or just this particular employee being a tool.

Regardless, unless the receipt or something in the ad states that you can't do it, I'm not really sure how they could enforce that, especially during the Christmas season.

That is not a real deal, considering how much money you spend. After taxes for most you are closer to $47.... but you have to spend $180+....

Most $60 games are frequently $48 online at various sites....

However, I appreciate OP bringing this to my attention. Just a heads up on how good deal this really is....

B3G1F isn't as good as B2G1F but it's still good. Problem is finding the time. If I would do this I would probably get GH 3, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and something else undecided what exactly.

This deal is only good if you are buying games for other people for the holidays.

If you were going to get, let's say Zack and Wiki for your little brother and one of those stupid Petz games for your little sister, then you can buy yourself another game and get another one for free.

But if you were just getting games for yourself then, no it's not really a good deal.

[quote name='shrike4242']B2G1 for $60 games, each game is $40.
B3G1 for $60 games, each game is $45.

B2G1 for $50 games, each game is $33.
B3G1 for $60 games, each game is $37.50.

B2G1 for $40 games, each game is $26.67.
B3G1 for $40 games, each game is $30.

B2G1 for $20 games, each game is $13.33.
B3G1 for $20 games, each game is $15.

There's the math for people to compare.[/quote]
The cost per game certainly is similar, but the capital investment is also 33% higher.. say 120 versus 180. That is what makes me want to hold off on this one...

That, and one of the games I'd want is rock band, and unless I want 4 copies, it's not a good deal for me.

[quote name='MujuroUtsutsu']

Out of all of those I only own 1 so this deal is not that bad. Plus if you open a credit card you get 10 percent off.[/quote]

That is actually 15% now.

[quote name='life.exe']That is actually 15% now.[/quote]

Only up until the 15th I believe. Then it will go back to 10% percent unless another promotion comes out. This ad starts the 16th.

TRU is very good at the buyer protection thing. Go talk to the manager and find out if you'll be able to take advantage of the sale. It seems like they will match it for at least one week, not sure if you could stretch it into two.
I did this with the Mario Galaxy deal.
Mario + $25 giftcard
Went back 5 days later returned and purchased Umbrella Chronicles
Got Battalion Wars 2 for free.

It was glorious, 3 games for $75.

Hmm this could be a good deal for me atleast.

Does anyone know if TRU would carry UT3 (PS3)?

Im thinking of getting Naruto, Ace Combat 6, UT3 and 1 more.

Yeah, I really don't like this deal. However, (and I apologize if someone said this OR found one..) a decent coupon that would work with this deal may make this a great deal. Of course, if you still have your $25 GC from the Mario Galaxy deal..then this might be a great deal for you.

I've got my $25 GC AND my 20% off of one item coupon.

I MIGHT do this sale and get The Orange Box, Mass Effect, Zack & Wiki (if in stock), and then get a filler game.

Then when my girlfriend isn't with me, I will go in and exchange the filler game for My Sims and give it to my girlfriend as a Christmas present.

EDIT: Rereading Icedragon's post, maybe he/she DIDN'T get the second game half price? I just assumed he/she got one half price, if not, then disregard this, sorry :D

[quote name='Snake2715']Wolfpup....

If you buy 3x $50 games you are out $150 and get on $50 free.

If you buy two games you spend $100 for $100 in games?

He could buy the two previously bought $100 (return later with original receipts -$100) and then buy a third game $50 and get a fourth game free $50 all for $50 out of pocket.

I am not understanding where you are coming from UNLESS you are referring the the SMG gift card issue or something.[/QUOTE]

What you're saying makes no sense. If you buy two NEW games that have nothing to do with the games you already bought, then yes, buying a third game and getting four games makes sense.

What does NOT make sense is returning the two you bought, and then rebuying them with two more. You're spending the EXACT same amount per game as if you just went to the store and bought the two additional games for full price.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I don't get it either Wolfpup.[/QUOTE]

Why not?

[quote name='hordak']THANK YOU for explaining it. It's pretty obvious why one would want to do this. I don't see what there is to NOT understand. ;)[/quote]

Well you're going to have to explain why this is "obvious". I see nothing "obvious" about going to the trouble of returning and rebuying games only to spend the exact same amount that you would have if you just kept the games you had and bought two more for full price.

You buy 2 games before the sale and get NOTHING free.

That's not what's being talked about. The OP already got a deal on the original games.

Guy bought 2 games for $100. He buys those two games again for another $100 along with 2 other games (one of which is free) which adds $50 to the amount he paid. So in total he spent $250. Now he returns those two games he already owned to get his $100 back. So he has now spent $150 but was able to get the free fourth game. Hes basically doing this in order to take advantage of the free game. Whats so hard to understand?

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']1) KoF XI
2) Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
3) Neo Geo Battle Colleseum
4) Something...

That looks like a good plan, assuming I can find NGBC.[/QUOTE]

Did they get Fire Pro Returns in at TRU?

Buy 3 to get 1 free? Pfft....25% off just isn't good enough in my book, especially since they've spoiled me with B2G1, which equally doesn't impress me as much as it used to considering you can rarely get a B1G1, at least on BRDs and used games.

Plus the last time TRU had the B2G1 Wii games, they didn't have jack shit in terms of selection.

[quote name='karkyco']Buy 3 to get 1 free? Pfft....25% off just isn't good enough in my book, especially since they've spoiled me with B2G1, which equally doesn't impress me as much as it used to considering you can rarely get a B1G1, at least on BRDs and used games.

Plus the last time TRU had the B2G1 Wii games, they didn't have jack shit in terms of selection.[/quote]

The reason for the poor selection is that most stores had Wiis in stock that day. I think we had like 80 some Wiis that day. So everyone that bought a Wii bought all the good ggames.

Okay would this work?
I buy 3 games
Mass Effect (which I already own)
Halo 3 (which I already own)
Call of Duty 4

and I get
New Super Mario Bros for the DS for Free

Then I return Mass effect + Halo 3 to get back about $140 and keep the other 2 games? So basically it turns into buy 1 game get one free. I am just not sure because of what will show up on the receipt.

[quote name='o ManBearP1g o']Okay would this work?
I buy 3 games
Call of Duty 4

and I get

Then I return Mass effect + Halo 3 to get back about $140 and keep the other 2 games? So basically it turns into buy 1 game get one free. I am just not sure because of what will show up on the receipt.[/quote]

It won't work; all 4 items have to be on the same receipt. They MIGHT (serious YMMV) be able to do a special move, say if you buy 2 of the games beforehand, then come in the day of the sale and get the other 2 and show them your receipt, but I'm not sure how that would work.

[quote name='Distrato']Guy bought 2 games for $100. He buys those two games again for another $100 along with 2 other games (one of which is free) which adds $50 to the amount he paid. So in total he spent $250. Now he returns those two games he already owned to get his $100 back. So he has now spent $150 but was able to get the free fourth game. Hes basically doing this in order to take advantage of the free game. Whats so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]

I guess you didn't read my post. I assumed he bought two games for $75, not $100, making the whole return thing pointless.

[quote name='o ManBearP1g o']Okay would this work?
I buy 3 games
Call of Duty 4

and I get

Then I return Mass effect + Halo 3 to get back about $140 and keep the other 2 games? So basically it turns into buy 1 game get one free. I am just not sure because of what will show up on the receipt.[/QUOTE]

Oh course not. That's theft, which I seriously doubt they're going to go along with.

[quote name='Chronis']I don't know if anyone has noticed this but I thik the word "one" needs to be only once.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I didn't notice. Aren't our brains weird how we can just ignore the extra word like that?

Thats hilarious. 5 pages of replies and just now someone noticed the extra word. I even posted in this thread. The human mind is amazing.

[quote name='Chronis']I don't know if anyone has noticed this but I thik the word "one" needs to be only once.[/quote]

lol i didnt even notice. its an opitical illusion.
we cagers just see FREE and then everything else shuts off :D

if you bought a game already, just buy it again, then return the new game with the old recipt.

so if i go in and get mario galaxy wii play and 2 filler games and go back later and return them (filler games) will i get my money back?

So.

Uncharted. $60
Orange Box. $60
Unreal Tournament III. $60
FolkLore. $60

$240
-$60, one game free
-$25, c/o Mario Galaxy purchase last month

Four games. $155.

I love you guys.

Indeed, but I can take the hit and buy something else if they won't have it in stock. Even if I missed out on the B2G1 Free, this is still a damn good deal.

looks like im getting

mario galaxy 50
unreal tournament III 60
wii play 50
free, wii play
subtract 60 dollar store credit from b2g1 sale
100 yes cant wait hopefully they have every thing i need in fucking stock

Anyone planning on buying UT3 the day it comes out then returning it to the store when the store begins the sale? Im worried they will run out of them and or not have them.

I might not cancel my Gamestop preorder and just not open my copy until I find out if TRU will have it or not.

It really sucks not having any idea just how many units they're shipping out.

How I'm going to get ut3 and orange box for discount:

Have them at the top of my gamefly queue, they'll be brand new since new release. Use "keep it" option in my queue and then they'll send me the case and manual to go with it. Only reason I stick around with gamefly is the whole new release discounted price if you want to keep it, worth it.
And for older games that might have been owned by someone you still get a brand new case and manual which is nice, and get to test the disc hands on if you want to keep it or not.

[quote name='smoger']as a general rule of thumb, you can never return opened software[/QUOTE]
You can always get them again and return the new unopened ones though!

[quote name='Chris in Cali']So I have to spend about $200 after tax? I'll pass. Toys R' Us is getting gready.[/QUOTE]

As Shrike posted on the first page... this isn't that much more than the B2G1F deal. For 3 $60 games, its only $5 more per game with B3G1F vs B2G1F.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a pretty good deal. I don't see any other stores offering so many B2G1/B3G1 deals and if you want more than one game, then this works out perfectly... especially for people like me who put of buying some games for this sale specifically.

Of course, I already did most of my shopping during their B2G1F sales.

[quote name='Vinny']As Shrike posted on the first page... this isn't that much more than the B2G1F deal. For 3 $60 games, its only $5 more per game with B3G1F vs B2G1F.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a pretty good deal. I don't see any other stores offering so many B2G1/B3G1 deals and if you want more than one game, then this works out perfectly... especially for people like me who put of buying some games for this sale specifically.

Of course, I already did most of my shopping during their B2G1F sales.[/QUOTE]

You say $5 more per game, I say $60 more out of my wallet. Maybe I'm just too broke this late in the holiday season, I'd be able justify $120, but not $180.

bread's done
Back