TRU Buy portal 2/mortal kombat 15 dollar gift card/buy both get 50 dollar gift card

If I'm not mistaken, some Wal-Marts have instituted a policy of not accepting more than three returned items a year (from the same individual) without a receipt in an attempt to stop this scam. I question whether or not they actually have a database that allows them to keep track of the bottom feeders intent on these activities, though.

EDIT: I really have no personal feelings on this topic one way or the other. I do, however, have strong feelings about idiots who like to play internet lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='silentevil']Most states do not have a "return fraud" statute. They do have retail fraud or altering of receipts statute. These statutes typically cover stealing merchandise and attempting to return it and or altering a receipt and trying to return something. When you return something to most stores without a receipt they give you store credit of the lowest price for the item within the previous 60-90 days. The stores place the item back on the shelf at the price they currently have. So it is possible for them to give you 19.99 plus tax in store credit and turn around and sell the game for more.

Does not qualify as fraud because store you are returning to is only giving you their face value for it. They take it and sell it to someone else for the same price. Not fraud.

Buying a car for 500 bucks and then trading it in to another dealership for 1000 bucks is not fraud. It is the same legal principal.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? When you trade in a car, you already own it and are selling the vehicle to that second dealer. There is no deception there. When you make a fraudulent return, you have to engage in deception to get the store to buy the item from you since they never had your money in the first place. Walmart's policy is to allow a return without a receipt, however, the item had to be purchased from Walmart. By returning the item to Walmart, you are representing to them that you bought it there. You are essentially forcing them to buy more inventory under the false pretense that they sold it to you initially and that the transaction is a wash. Seriously, we need a mod to step in with some bans here as this is definitely fraud.

Found the statute for the State of Florida (where I live)
817.037 Fraudulent refunds.

(1) Any person who engages in a systematic, ongoing course of conduct to obtain a refund for merchandise from a business establishment by knowingly giving a false or fictitious name or address as his or her own or the name or address of any other person without that person's knowledge and approval is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(2) In order for a person to be convicted under this section, a conspicuous notice must have been posted in the business establishment in the area where refunds are made, advising patrons of the provisions of this section and the penalties provided.

Nothing do with what you guys are referring to as "return fraud".

[quote name='bojay1997']Are you kidding? When you trade in a car, you already own it and are selling the vehicle to that second dealer. There is no deception there. When you make a fraudulent return, you have to engage in deception to get the store to buy the item from you since they never had your money in the first place. Walmart's policy is to allow a return without a receipt, however, the item had to be purchased from Walmart. By returning the item to Walmart, you are representing to them that you bought it there. You are essentially forcing them to buy more inventory under the false pretense that they sold it to you initially and that the transaction is a wash. Seriously, we need a mod to step in with some bans here as this is definitely fraud.[/QUOTE]

What we need is for people like you to stop trying to exert your morals on others here and stating your opinions as "Facts." Notice how you commented earlier "There is no store in America that has a policy allowing items bought at another store to be returned there." Even though you are incorrect on this statement (see the link for petsmart return policy)....you are just so ingorant that you don't even refute your own statment once you are proven wrong.....That's fine believe what you want, but that doesn't mean you can just post whatever you like and then complain when someone points out the inaccuracies of your "Facts"

While i agree selling a used car to a dealership is a horrible example to try to compare as it is completely different, but it doesn't change the fact that you are still wrong. No one is "forcing" walmart (or any other store) to do anything. Walmart has a return policy for items without a receipt.....and while it may be "implied" that it only covers items purchased from them, it does not state in their policy that the item had to be purchased from them. Store's are fully aware that by allowing returns without a receipt will lead to accepting returns purchased elsewhere, and they are OK with it for several reasons. One, there IS no way for them to know for sure if an item was purchased from them without requiring a receipt (unless the item has a serial number and/or uniqure barcode/packaging). Two, just for "customer service reasons". Three, they know most people will end up spending more money anyways when they use the "store credit". There are probably more reasons/logic behind it.....but the bottom line is, they have decided to allow returns without a receipt....so get over it, and if you don't like their decision, why don't you complain to them? and tell them its wrong for them to allow "fraud" in their stores. I hope you get far with that one.

[quote name='bojay1997']Are you kidding? When you trade in a car, you already own it and are selling the vehicle to that second dealer. There is no deception there. When you make a fraudulent return, you have to engage in deception to get the store to buy the item from you since they never had your money in the first place. Walmart's policy is to allow a return without a receipt, however, the item had to be purchased from Walmart. By returning the item to Walmart, you are representing to them that you bought it there. You are essentially forcing them to buy more inventory under the false pretense that they sold it to you initially and that the transaction is a wash. Seriously, we need a mod to step in with some bans here as this is definitely fraud.[/QUOTE]

First before a witch hunt starts this is not something I engage in don't have the time or need to drive to and from several stores to get over on them.

Second, not fraud. You're returning something without a receipt. They resell the item. There is no law as far as this is concerned in most states. I say most because I'm not going to look through every states statute books. I do know it is not illegal here (Florida or Texas). This is what I do for a living.

I'm not claiming this as a "moral" thing to do. That is up to the person doing this to decide, but it is not illegal as you guys are trying to perpetrate it to be.

And I agree the used car is a horrible example that's why I removed it.

It's deceptive and dishonest unless you tell the retailer that you did not purchase the item from their store.

Legality/morality aside, I'd say it still kind of makes you a jerk. Abusing retailer policies just makes it more likely that those retailers tighten up those friendly policies to something more restrictive for everyone else. Just like the Kmart coupons that got abused and re-used and copied. And now they're limited per person and have shorter expiration dates.

[quote name='lpburk2']If I'm not mistaken, some Wal-Marts have instituted a policy of not accepting more than three returned items a year (from the same individual) without a receipt in an attempt to stop this scam. I question whether or not they actually have a database that allows them to keep track of the bottom feeders intent on these activities, though.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, they use you drivers license can can pull up your return history at any store. They can see a trend and deny you.

[quote name='jdb230']What we need is for people like you to stop trying to exert your morals on others here and stating your opinions as "Facts." [/QUOTE]

You should probably read up on the forum rules. If there's no problem with any of this, then there should be no reason for the mods to delete this discussion.

In fact, you should probably start a new thread about all the great deals you can get at Walmart by not committing return fraud. Good luck!

[quote name='lpburk2']If I'm not mistaken, some Wal-Marts have instituted a policy of not accepting more than three returned items a year (from the same individual) without a receipt in an attempt to stop this scam. I question whether or not they actually have a database that allows them to keep track of the bottom feeders intent on these activities, though.[/QUOTE]

It's 90 days, not a year. It's morally wrong, but it's not illegal. It's not all that different than buying a used game at a pawn shop for 8 bucks and trading it into Gamestop for $25 because it's rare. You're trading something you bought to another company who is then going to resell it. It's not like you're giving them something they won't be able to sell.

Just to be fair I'll admit that back in like 2002 I got in on that "Beach Spikers" deal when it was $10 at best buy and returned a few copies to wal-mart for $50 store credit.

I did let them know they were not purchased there. They didn't care. I gave most of the store credit to my mum to use on groceries and stuff, lol.

[quote name='Donut2922']people will probably do a gameshare to combine all DLC skins/fatalities. i plan to.[/QUOTE]

That seems pointless, since I keep hearing all the preorder bonuses will be in the Krypt anyway. The codes just unlock them sooner.

Mods must be asleepy. They usually take care of these kinds of messy tangents pretty quick, especially with concern to return scam bs.

[quote name='dino88']You should probably read up on the forum rules. If there's no problem with any of this, then there should be no reason for the mods to delete this discussion.

In fact, you should probably start a new thread about all the great deals you can get at Walmart by not committing return fraud. Good luck![/QUOTE]

lol....seriously, you've had to been here long enough to know some of the mods delete many things without any good reasons....however I could see them deleting this convo for being "off topic" but not because it is "illegal and against their rules to discuss it".....i get that it "frowned" upon just like flipping by many on here.....which is retarded imo, but I understand it....normally I don't get involved with these ridiculous posts....but sometimes I just get tired of reading posts of people spouting off their morals on others as "facts".

It is not illegal to return a product from one store to another without a receipt as long as you give them your true personal information to that store. Walmart, per se, do not care if you attempt this because they don't lose money from you doing so. They earn it all back plus more from the store credit purcahses.

[quote name='jdb230']lol....seriously, you've had to been here long enough to know some of the mods delete many things without any good reasons....however I could see them deleting this convo for being "off topic" but not because it is "illegal and against their rules to discuss it".....[/QUOTE]

What do you keep saying about the facts? Because this is simply not true. They have deleted many discussions exactly like this for those exact reasons.

Can't seem to find where Best Buy states POrtal 2 and MK get a $10 pre-order credit. Was that a limited time offer? Their "new" reward zone site really just killed their gamer club site

Edit: I found the Portal 2 one, not the MK one

[quote name='silentevil']I'd bite on this but I preordered kollectors ed. from Gamestop. Is kmart or toys r us still taking preorders?[/QUOTE]

K-Mart doesn't do pre-orders.

[quote name='dino88']What do you keep saying about the facts? Because this is simply not true. They have deleted many discussions exactly like this for those exact reasons.[/QUOTE]

They delete it because it causes people to argue and go back and forth "off topic", and the simple minded fools who can't accept they are wrong cry to the mods because they feel it is "illegal/fraud/immoral/unethical".

The "Facts" are these people claming it is "illegal and/or fraud" returning merchendise without a receipt as well as the one brilliant individual who stated that no store in america accepts returns from other stores. People seem to confuse their narrowminded views as "facts" and laws...and then flame away when someone points out they are wrong.

As to the discussion of returning stuff without a receipt...I fully understand some people thinks it's wrong and unethical, and that's fine, they are entitled to their own opinions and I'm not trying to change them. I'm just sick of them then twisting it and trying to make the argument that it is somehow illegal or fraudulant.

[quote name='jdb230']They delete it because it causes people to argue and go back and forth "off topic"[/QUOTE]

Nope, still not true. They have on many occasions said that this exact discussion is against forum rules. Sorry.

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']Can't seem to find where Best Buy states POrtal 2 and MK get a $10 pre-order credit. Was that a limited time offer? Their "new" reward zone site really just killed their gamer club site

Edit: I found the Portal 2 one, not the MK one[/QUOTE]

sadly, when they "improved" the website, it seems they forgot about the gamers club part, as all the previous information you used to be able to find on it is no longer there :(

If you check out the bestbuy community forums (http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Reward...list-of-500-point-pre-order-games/td-p/247662)

They keep an "updated" list of games with bonus point offers...although Mortal Kombat is listed there, Portal is not (even though the bonus points for pre-ordering Portal is listed when I searched the main best buy website for it).

Also, the other thing i noticed is in the store, they will have gaming club brochures for each quarter (i think or it might even be more frequently) that list all of the point offers as well.

I was hoping for an Amazon PM but please continue the discussion of ethics and corporate America. I am so glad I have the interwebs to tell me what is right and wrong.

[quote name='dino88']Nope, still not true. They have on many occasions said that this exact discussion is against forum rules. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Ok? I never said I "knew" why they deleted it in the past, and I don't pretend to know....I only gave the reasoning of why I thought they might.

As far as it being "against the forum rules"......seems like a few mods who interpret returning items with out receipt as being fraud, which is against the rules to discuss fraudulant/illegal activities.

It's all subjective, but that's how forums works.....however it doesn't mean the action of a few mods dictate the "rules" of the site. Mods erroneously delete/move and mark posts/threads incorrectly.

Talk of the Wal-Mart return thing has been consistently discouraged by the mods on this forum; the discussion should begin an end right there as far as I'm concerned. You can microanalyze the official rules, sure, but if you insist on making yourself a nuisance don't be surprised when you are treated as such.

Anyway I'm glad to see that Amazon's "Tell Us About A Lower Price" thing is working today. Had anyone else been having problems with that feature? Today was actually the first time it didn't give me an error message.

lol @ cags defending the no receipt return policy. its like rationalizing 31 flips of a game is not wrong when the policy is to not take more than 3 at BB. guys here only defend your point to make themselves feel better about what they do. its not within policy. so to say/do anything otherwise is just fooling yourself to excuse what you do.

you're not supposed to period. whether that actuallly stops you or not is a whole nother thing. obviously it may not force you but at least dont say "yeah its okay to do it."

you're way better off just keeping it to yourself and not bringing it up on this site.

[quote name='silentevil']I'd bite on this but I preordered kollectors ed. from Gamestop. Is kmart or toys r us still taking preorders?[/QUOTE]

TRU is still doing pre orders for both games until closing Monday night.

[quote name='jdb230']No offense, as I've got good deals in the past via price matching at bestbuy.....but sooner or later best buy is going to realize we are double dipping by pricematching games with the pre-order bonuses and they are going to change their policy.[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, I was just pointing out how I get most day 1 releases 33%-50% off true CAG style. By the time you factor in RZ points + gamers club even online prices can consistantly be beat. Also, not everyone is diligent like me to keep track of there receipts & get their price matches down the line.

Honestly, after reading the article below I don't expect anything to change.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...to-wal-mart-style-everyday-store-pricing.html
BB will probably adopt walmart "everyday low price" strategy & start price matching amazon straight up. It's no longer about getting "new" customers it's taking sales away from each other. As the article states people are just waiting
for items to go on sale so the pre-order bonuses will only get better to entice people to pay full retail on day 1.

Edit:Walmart is already stepping up the game when it comes to price matching this "war" will lead to better deals for us.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/04/10/1621299/wal-mart-plans-ad-campaign-to.html

i was already planning on getting both games, and was just waiting on a deal for MK. amazon pre order has been cancelled. now just hoping my TRU has both in stock when i get off of work (fingers crossed).

[quote name='dc_fortythree']i was already planning on getting both games, and was just waiting on a deal for MK. amazon pre order has been cancelled. now just hoping my TRU has both in stock when i get off of work (fingers crossed).[/QUOTE]

There is still time to pre order a copy, that way you don't have to worry about it.

u know i did the math, and after tax and whatnot, i only save about 4$ at toysrus over buying from amazon. i think id rather wait and see if amazon ever increases their promo credit, and even if they dont, i dont feel like dealing with the asshole that works at my TRU just to save 4$

My prediction: Amazon won't match because they're so close already...

TRU: $59.99 + $59.99 + tax (5.5% for me) = $126.58 - $50 GC = $76.58

Amazon: $54.99 + $59.99 = $114.99 - $20 - $10 = $84.98

Besides, Mortal Kombat will be sub-$40 in a month anyway.

I’ve exploited the Wal-Mart return system on more than one occasion and to be perfectly sincere, it is a dishonest practice.

However, Wal-Mart clearly knows this and allows it regardless because receiving sealed merchandise that is easily re-sellable in exchange for store credit is no real sweat off their brow. The merchandise you buy with that card probably cost the Wal-Mart Corporation 1/3 of the retail value.

Also, even if such activities were technically illegal, there would literally be no way to prosecute such infractions unless a person flatly admitted they were trying to defraud the store. You can’t prove they didn’t buy the game at the store and merely misplaced the receipt.

That said, the Wal-Mart’s around me have recently instituted a policy where they often check to see if the specific game returned without a receipt has been purchased within the last seven days and if not they can deny the return.

[quote name='Enuf']
MK & Portal 2 already have the $10 pre-order bonus & Portal pre-order price is $55. So there's 3 ways they could pm this
1-If you just want 1 game, MK $45 + 10 pre-order credit or Portal $40 +10 pre-order credit.
2-MK $35 & Portal 2 $30=$65 +$20 in pre-order credit
3-MK $35 & Portal 2 $30 & they "charge" you $50 for a gc=$115 +$20 in pre-order credit.

foreinter
You missed the best Crysis 2 deal if you bought it on release at BB
$60 +10 giftcard +10 pre-order bonus it'll be on sale at kmart next week for $40 so with a price match it's basically $20. The giftcard was unexpected but you can generally get most new releases for $30 on day 1 doing this which is better than even amazon.[/QUOTE]

BB is now offering $10 giftcards for MK/Socom/Portal so the Crysis 2 option is now in play
link:http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8369275&posted=1#post8369275

[quote name='Donut2922']lol @ cags defending the no receipt return policy. its like rationalizing 31 flips of a game is not wrong when the policy is to not take more than 3 at BB. guys here only defend your point to make themselves feel better about what they do. its not within policy. so to say/do anything otherwise is just fooling yourself to excuse what you do.

you're not supposed to period. whether that actuallly stops you or not is a whole nother thing. obviously it may not force you but at least dont say "yeah its okay to do it."

you're way better off just keeping it to yourself and not bringing it up on this site.[/QUOTE]

Threads like these are why I laugh whenever someone on here talks shit about the people on SlickDeals.

Whats the policy with Gift cards at toysrus? Can I use it the day i get it or is there X amount of time before it can be used? I want to get portal 2/mk then pick up socom with the gc. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='UnrealZero']Whats the policy with Gift cards at toysrus? Can I use it the day i get it or is there X amount of time before it can be used? I want to get portal 2/mk then pick up socom with the gc. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Varies by stores. Some stores will have gift cards that activate after 6 hours, and expires (not sure what date) and some stores will just give you a regular gift card.

[quote name='UnrealZero']Whats the policy with Gift cards at toysrus? Can I use it the day i get it or is there X amount of time before it can be used? I want to get portal 2/mk then pick up socom with the gc. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]You typically have to wait 6 hours to use a TRU GC, so you might be better off coming back the next day unless you can kill 6 hours. ;)

EDIT: Darn, beaten to it.

I dont get this whole argument over return fraud or whatever you want to call it. Those of you stating there is nothing wrong with returning an item to a store you did not buy said item from are flat out wrong. Flat out...you are STEALING from them. How so you may ask? You return said item for say a $50 gift card. You then "spend" your $50 on an item. You now have an item from that store and have given the store no cash. And many of you keep stating that the store now has the item you returned so they can easily sell it for full retail value. But really? Can they? I doubt it and even if they did, $50 now is worth more than $50 later. Time Value of Money and all that. Also, they now have increased inventory they did not expect and may never sell that item or have to sell it at a discount.

its really their choice to accept returns without receipt. they do not have to accept your return yet they do. It would REALLY be fraud if you bought one, then forged a duplicate receipt and returned them both.

If said store loses so much money then why don't they impose a no receipt / no refund policy? It won't hurt their business, considering people who are careless enough to lose their receipt don't deserve to get a full refund.

[quote name='wrencrest']I dont get this whole argument over return fraud or whatever you want to call it. Those of you stating there is nothing wrong with returning an item to a store you did not buy said item from are flat out wrong. Flat out...you are STEALING from them. How so you may ask? You return said item for say a $50 gift card. You then "spend" your $50 on an item. You now have an item from that store and have given the store no cash. And many of you keep stating that the store now has the item you returned so they can easily sell it for full retail value. But really? Can they? I doubt it and even if they did, $50 now is worth more than $50 later. Time Value of Money and all that. Also, they now have increased inventory they did not expect and may never sell that item or have to sell it at a discount.[/QUOTE]

You have absolutely no common sense.....

Why do you care so much if stores (like walmart/target/etc) choose to allow returns without a receipt? It is their stores, and their perogative to do so. Does it really cause that much pain knowing they do this?

Maybe you should go read a law book for dummies....because if you think this is "stealing" then obviously you won't be able to comprehend any of this.

And just as a "side point" to your failed logic of them having "excess" inventory now......what happens when that same person uses that gift card to purchase another item? Oh wait.....they are going to now have less inventory of another item now.... what's the point? Inventory changes all the time from people purchasing and returning items (with or without the receipt). If you have ever worked retail before, you would understand this, and realize it is something store's CAN'T control.....they just adapt and deal with it.

People get so caught up on ONLY people who buy items cheaper return them without a receipt, which is not the case. Sometimes people just misplace/lose their receipt, wait to long that it is now outside of the return policy with the receipt, or simply get an item as a gift and don't want it. I believe most stores choose to allow returns without a receipt for those reasons, and yea they know some people will do it to "profit" which is why they put limits on how much you can do.

This deal seems about the same as Amazon right now, unless my math sucks (it always does.)

TRU:
$34.99 + $2.89 (Tax @.0825%) = $37.88 Portal 2
$34.99 + $2.89 (Tax @.0825%) = $37.88 MK
$50 GC (No Tax on GCs)
= $125.76 Total OTD

You then have to use that $50 GC on another item, let's say a new $60 game (LA Noire) and since you have to buy it at TRU, you'll have to pay $9.99 + $4.95 tax, making the new total $140.70 for three games at TRU.

Amazon:
$54.99 + $20 Credit Portal 2
$59.99 + $10 Credit MK
= $114.98 Total Shipped

If you also buy LA Noire from Amazon with the two credits, that makes LA Noire $29.99. The total for three games at Amazon is $144.97. However, if you use that Amazon credit to buy a game such as LA Noire, you will also get another $10 credit, so technically makes the total $134.97.

$140.70 = TRU total for MK + Portal 2 + third $60 game
$144.97 = Amazon total for MK + Portal + third $60 game

Of course, all of this math depends on the Sales Tax in your state, how much local stores charge you and if you have to pay tax to Amazon. Also don't forget to include the cost of gas of going to TRU if you wouldn't be going by there anyway. With an extra $5 credit added onto MK from Amazon, it would be overall cheaper there no matter what.

If you can someone how get Best Buy to PM TRU locally, you could always get an extra $10 credit from Reward Zone on Portal 2 and an additional $10 GC from Portal 2 and MK from BB. I hope this helps someone decide where to buy it, lol.

bread's done
Back