Turtle Beach - 20% OFF entire headset/sound card line

bredbu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
not sure if it has already been posted

For NY Comic Con this weekend and the guys at the Turtle Beach are giving 20% off their entire line of gaming headsets and sound cards:

Checkout using this code: TB20NYCC2010

Here are some price breakdowns:
Ear Force X41 (Dolby 7.1 Wireless Xbox Headset) - Orig. Price $199.95 Now $159.96
Ear Force X31 (Wireless Stereo Xbox Headset) - Orig. Price $99.95 Now $79.96
Ear Force X11 (Amplified Stereo Xbox Headset) - Orig. Price $59.95 Now $47.96
Ear Force PX21 (Amplified Stereo Xbox/PS3/PC Headset) - Orig. Price $79.95 Now $63.96
Ear Force DSS (5.1/7.1 Dolby Surround Sound Processor) - Orig. Price $89.95 Now $71.96
Ear Force HPA2 (True 5.1 Surround Sound PC Headset) - Orig. Price $99.95 Now $79.96

credit goes to mr1eele over at slickdeals

I've been on the lookout for one of these. Amazon is cheaper on the HPA2's only, but they're comparable on most of the rest. Definately cheaper than in-store, but how's the tax/shipping? I've got a feeling it's gonna kill this.

ok, so while this is cool and I've been rockin my TB headset for about 3 years now with NO problems whatsoever..these new models scare me. Best Buy has recently set up a demo endcap and I was playing with them the other day, they seem so flimsy compared to the set I have (X3) and don't seem like they'd be as comfortable. The only reason I have for getting an updated set is to make the leap to HDMI with my console b/c right now I'm still running component to handle the headsets dongle.

I have the x41s (purchased from Amazon for like 150 - I'd check and see if but at 168 on Amazon, tax and shipping may kill this at least for that set) and they do feel cheap, and actually, the plastic piece that connects the wrap to the can is broke on it - I have to push the wrap connector into the can to make the can movable. That is worded poorly but they still work great and are an amazing set - but yeah, Amazon has these fluctuate on prices every now and again so a better deal is out there..

yea they do feel cheap but they're also so light. Using other headsets hurts my ears after about an hour. I can wear these for hours and they'll never hurt.

[quote name='blankempathy']yea they do feel cheap but they're also so light. Using other headsets hurts my ears after about an hour. I can wear these for hours and they'll never hurt.[/QUOTE]

its probably not the weight of the headset causing ear pain.

The dss does the job, not sure how voice will sound run on its own.

I would get the refurb X4s (only way to get them now) because imo they are much better than the X41s. I still use my X4s, I returned the X41s. They have an annoying 'pop' that really takes you out of the game / movie every few minnutes or so. It's just what they do, I checked, a lot, to be sure. I really wanted to like the 41s cuz the 4s are da BOMB, but no dice. :(

[quote name='token2k6']ok, so while this is cool and I've been rockin my TB headset for about 3 years now with NO problems whatsoever..these new models scare me. Best Buy has recently set up a demo endcap and I was playing with them the other day, they seem so flimsy compared to the set I have (X3) and don't seem like they'd be as comfortable. The only reason I have for getting an updated set is to make the leap to HDMI with my console b/c right now I'm still running component to handle the headsets dongle.[/QUOTE]

With both the xbox360 and the ps3, you can use both hdmi and component. I use hdmi for video and component to audio straight to my TB headphones.

[quote name='dubldave']I would get the refurb X4s (only way to get them now) because imo they are much better than the X41s. I still use my X4s, I returned the X41s. They have an annoying 'pop' that really takes you out of the game / movie every few minnutes or so. It's just what they do, I checked, a lot, to be sure. I really wanted to like the 41s cuz the 4s are da BOMB, but no dice. :([/QUOTE]

the x41's I had never popped. in fact they had less audible hiss than the x11s. I do see that mentioned a lot in forums though.

I dont think any of these headsets are particularly good though.

The best feature of turtle beachs is the voice feedback, thats really nice.

I have to agree the voice feedback is really nice. I have a deep voice with a lot of bass thats really hard to pick up but these do a nice job. My friends have told me that I sound clear even when im speaking softly

[quote name='blankempathy']bah first the toys r us b2g1 free now this. I just bought my dx11 set when halo reach came out >< feeling so annoyed[/QUOTE]

How do you like the dx11 set?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']How do you like the dx11 set?[/QUOTE]

The dx11 is simply the x11 headset and the dss module. I find the x11/x31 headset to be more comfortable than the x41, the sound quality is extremely close, possibly identical. The dss allows more control over the bass level in addition to allowing playback from an external source (connected via 3.5mm jack) to be mixed with game audio and chat.

The dss has a cheap feel, especially the power switch; for less than $75 I dont think its a big deal. My only concern about the unit would be use with an external mic as it doesnt have any controls for independently adjusting chat.

Im still using my X3 and it still in perfect condition except the ear cups. I got this since it came out... I still have my like new condition X1 in my closet and will probably use that when this thing gets broke... I just hate wired headset...

Keep in mind, at Best Buy they have a coupon in the 'Gamer' magazine for $30 off, but they are a lot ($200)!

Black Friday sale I HOPE and get it for $100!!!

I don't really have the money for a really nice headset right now, but since I've picked up Reach, I've really wished my dog had found something better to chew on than my last one...

I don't have a stereo to connect them to or anything, so are there any recommendations for a decent (enough) headset? I'm not expecting $200 performance, obviously, but something to get me by for a while.

I've got a $15 GC left for BB that I could put towards it, but that's not the only place I could go...

Any help much appreciated!

[quote name='paz9x']The dx11 is simply the x11 headset and the dss module. I find the x11/x31 headset to be more comfortable than the x41, the sound quality is extremely close, possibly identical. The dss allows more control over the bass level in addition to allowing playback from an external source (connected via 3.5mm jack) to be mixed with game audio and chat.

The dss has a cheap feel, especially the power switch; for less than $75 I dont think its a big deal. My only concern about the unit would be use with an external mic as it doesnt have any controls for independently adjusting chat.[/QUOTE]

Right, I tested the x11's a few days ago and liked them felt they sounded good and were comfy. Currently, I'm testing the Tritton AX720's and they are nice but not as comfortable. I plan on testing the dx11's to see how the sound compares with the Tritton ax720's.

[quote name='bitzer']I don't really have the money for a really nice headset right now, but since I've picked up Reach, I've really wished my dog had found something better to chew on than my last one...

I don't have a stereo to connect them to or anything, so are there any recommendations for a decent (enough) headset? I'm not expecting $200 performance, obviously, but something to get me by for a while.

I've got a $15 GC left for BB that I could put towards it, but that's not the only place I could go...

Any help much appreciated![/QUOTE]

I would try out the X11's or PX21's they are wired but, I tested the x11's on my pc and everyone said I came through crystal clear and the sound on my side was good for a stereo set. The cool thing is you can hear yourself in the them so you know if you're too loud or too soft. My best buy didn't have the px21's so I was not able to test them yet.

I would stay away from wireless sets for two reasons they cost more and I have heard many people have issues with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evildeadjedi']Right, I tested the x11's a few days ago and liked them felt they sounded good and were comfy. Currently, I'm testing the Tritton AX720's and they are nice but not as comfortable. I plan on testing the dx11's to see how the sound compares with the Tritton ax720's.

I would try out the X11's or PX21's they are wired but, I tested the x11's on my pc and everyone said I came through crystal clear and the sound on my side was good for a stereo set. The cool thing is you can hear yourself in the them so you know if you're too loud or too soft. My best buy didn't have the px21's so I was not able to test them yet.

I would stay away from wireless sets for two reasons they cost more and I have heard many people have issues with them.[/QUOTE]

besides the mics being trash, the trittons are all too cumbersome and tight on the head. I was surpirsed that the mixamp sound was a margin better than the dss. I had heard and expected them to be about the same, they are not.

As far as wireless problems, my only experience is with the x41's and I had zero issues related to them being wireless.

[quote name='dubldave']I would get the refurb X4s (only way to get them now) because imo they are much better than the X41s. I still use my X4s, I returned the X41s. They have an annoying 'pop' that really takes you out of the game / movie every few minnutes or so. It's just what they do, I checked, a lot, to be sure. I really wanted to like the 41s cuz the 4s are da BOMB, but no dice. :([/QUOTE]

I have the x41s and I have no popping whatsoever during normal use. The only time I get some crackling noise is because I moved too far away from the receiver while going to the kitchen or something.

You may also get some crackling if the batteries are almost dead. Usually, though, they die within a few minutes anyway so you have to swap them out regardless. Other than that, your wireless router may be interfering with the headset receiver. Setting your router to a different wireless channel might help.

I've had my x41s for about 2 months now and they are awesome. Well, for the $150 I dished out for them, they better be! :lol:

I'm currently rocking the px21 + dss system. They are not perfect, but definitely worth the money for surround sound on a small scale. Here are the major cons that I've found with the hardware.

Headset emits a light hiss that very noticeable when there is no sound being played. I did some research and found that it is a result of the headset's amplifier having poor grounding / shielding. The good thing here is that this is basically a non issue when sound begins playing because it is easily drowned out.

Another issue I found is that I cannot use the headset to chat with friends on Xbox Live when I am charging my controller via USB plug and play. I think this is because a current of electricity leaks through the cable connecting the controller to the headset. In any case, it produces a very unpleasant hum or buzz that is much to loud to be ignored. Just be sure to keep your controller charged and this is a non issue.

-very comfortable
-very good sound
-very good microphone
-able to be used on ps3/xbox360/pc

With the dss,
- digitized dolby digital 5.1 - works very well
- able to connect headset to anything with an optical out.

I'm interested in the X41's, but I have both a 360 and a PS3..... will they work for game audio for both systems? I don't care as much about game chat for PS3 (I use the 360 for online, not the ps3 as much)

Also how do they plug into an HDMI system, via the optical out port on the tv?

Thanks

[quote name='jkaslow']I'm interested in the X41's, but I have both a 360 and a PS3..... will they work for game audio for both systems? I don't care as much about game chat for PS3 (I use the 360 for online, not the ps3 as much)

Also how do they plug into an HDMI system, via the optical out port on the tv?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

As long as it has an optical output, you can use these headsets with it. You can't use the PS3 chat unless you buy an adapter (amigo II) and cable from turtle beach for $29.99.

The optical cable goes straight from the xbox to the receiver. Unlike the cheaper TBs, The TV never enters the picture for these headsets which I why I got them. You can have HDMI audio and headset audio on at the same time too, so if you want headset audio only, you just mute the TV or sound system.

Anyone own both the DSS and the Astro MixAmp? Would like to see which one's the better value.

[quote name='n1c0']Anyone own both the DSS and the Astro MixAmp? Would like to see which one's the better value.[/QUOTE]

I have had them both. after getting the mixamp a couple days ago I got rid of the dss today.
the dss is a great value, its half the price and does most of what the mixamp does.
It comes down to which fits you better IMO.
First the sound, the mixamp sounds better to me, the dss sounds fine. There seems to be more seperation in sounds with the mixamp, it was easier for me to distinguish surround effects and the sound was more full. The difference in sound is in my opinion not worth the double the price.

If youre using a turtlebeach headset on a xbox id go with the dss, no question.
The purchase should really be made based on what headset and chat solution you want.
the mixamp can be used on any console and unlike the dss which only accepts optical input, the mixamp accepts audio over usb and rca as well.

chat is also easily used on ps3, xbox, or pc on the mixamp.

Im using the mixamp with headphones and seperate mic and am extremely happy with the performance.

Hope that helps, if you have any specific question ill try and answer them.

[quote name='paz9x']besides the mics being trash, the trittons are all too cumbersome and tight on the head. I was surpirsed that the mixamp sound was a margin better than the dss. I had heard and expected them to be about the same, they are not.

As far as wireless problems, my only experience is with the x41's and I had zero issues related to them being wireless.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that you have to mix and match to find the best setup. I really wish the Logitech G35's were compatible with consoles.

So what is the best system for the money with either the Turtle Beaches or Triton's? Has to be 360/PS3/PC compatible. Looking to see which one to ask for Christmas. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']It's a shame that you have to mix and match to find the best setup. I really wish the Logitech G35's were compatible with consoles.[/QUOTE]
It really is, I was so frustrated trying to find the right solution for me. I think the only headsets I havent had are the p21's and the a40's

supposedly the best solution is the ax pro decoder and the turtle beach hpa2's though I havent tried that combination.

[quote name='MSUHitman']So what is the best system for the money with either the Turtle Beaches or Triton's? Has to be 360/PS3/PC compatible. Looking to see which one to ask for Christmas. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Its hard to say because the headsets will feel differently on your head. the turtle beach headsets only allow chat on the 360. the Tritton mics are trash, the mic broke within 60 days on my ax180's and it was broken on the ax pros when i took them out of the box. searching forums on trittons will show a lot of mic issues. I had the ax 720's for a month or two and did not have an issue with its mic during that time. The pros used to use a different mic than the 720's but they now share the same mic. the ax 180 has a unique mic.

If you must have a wireless headset the x31 or x41 are the only two options period.

I think the ax 720's offer the best value between the turtlebeach sets and the ax 180, and ax pros.

Though expensive, the best solution I have tried for comfort, sound quality, and versatility is the astro mixamp, mic, and good set of headphones.
Another option that I hear offers very similar performance is the mixamp paired with the turtlebeach hpx's Im actually considering picking up a set to test and use as a second headset. they run about $70 making the combination roughly $210

[quote name='jkaslow']I'm interested in the X41's, but I have both a 360 and a PS3..... will they work for game audio for both systems? I don't care as much about game chat for PS3 (I use the 360 for online, not the ps3 as much)

Also how do they plug into an HDMI system, via the optical out port on the tv?s[/QUOTE]

I just bought them today, and I have it set up so that the optical cable (there's one in there, but I used my own) goes directly from my TV to the wireless unit. This way everything that already goes through my TV (360, PS3, Wii and even my antenna stations) can go through to the headphones without adjusting any cords. The wireless unit is directly connected to the back of my 360 and gets power from it even when it's not turned on. It's a pretty sweet setup, and once I figure out how to get rid of the "popping" that sometimes happens when I make adjustments I think I'm really going to love it.

Where do you use the code? I tried at Amazon but couldnt get it work.

Edit: I should say I tried amazon.com and Newegg.com but the codes didnt work. Am i doing something wrong?

Edit 2: I just realized its only for their website. I'll just stick with Amazon's prices since ive got credit.

[quote name='paz9x']It really is, I was so frustrated trying to find the right solution for me. I think the only headsets I havent had are the p21's and the a40's

supposedly the best solution is the ax pro decoder and the turtle beach hpa2's though I havent tried that combination.

[/QUOTE]
What would say is the best stereo headset? I'm beginning to think I might pass on surround sound.

[quote name='chrisswiss83']I just bought them today, and I have it set up so that the optical cable (there's one in there, but I used my own) goes directly from my TV to the wireless unit. This way everything that already goes through my TV (360, PS3, Wii and even my antenna stations) can go through to the headphones without adjusting any cords. The wireless unit is directly connected to the back of my 360 and gets power from it even when it's not turned on. It's a pretty sweet setup, and once I figure out how to get rid of the "popping" that sometimes happens when I make adjustments I think I'm really going to love it.[/QUOTE]

but wouldn't your TV have to have 5.1/7.1 capability built into it to handle the processes? I thought the optical output on the back of a TV was primitive at best..and I tried with my X3's to put it on Audio Out red/white on the back of my TV, thinking I could get sound across all units, but nothing came out :(

[quote name='evildeadjedi']What would say is the best stereo headset? I'm beginning to think I might pass on surround sound.[/QUOTE]

For xbox alone, Id go with the x11 or x31 if you wanted wireless. you could always add a dss later if you wanted surround.

Ive heard the px21 is solid so id probably go with those, the other option is the tritton ax 180.

there really arent a lot of options for consoles.

[quote name='token2k6']but wouldn't your TV have to have 5.1/7.1 capability built into it to handle the processes? I thought the optical output on the back of a TV was primitive at best..and I tried with my X3's to put it on Audio Out red/white on the back of my TV, thinking I could get sound across all units, but nothing came out :([/QUOTE]

A lot of displays pass through audio over the optical port. so say you have digital audio over the hdmi input to your display, you can connect a toslink from the display to your headset/decoder.

[quote name='chrisswiss83']I just bought them today, and I have it set up so that the optical cable (there's one in there, but I used my own) goes directly from my TV to the wireless unit. This way everything that already goes through my TV (360, PS3, Wii and even my antenna stations) can go through to the headphones without adjusting any cords. The wireless unit is directly connected to the back of my 360 and gets power from it even when it's not turned on. It's a pretty sweet setup, and once I figure out how to get rid of the "popping" that sometimes happens when I make adjustments I think I'm really going to love it.[/QUOTE]

You got it, for $150 or less?

I am just gonna wait to see if Black Friday has it cheaper. :)

would be nice to know if the x31/x41 worked with a pc as cables are a pain in the @$$....although its kinda a drag that the receivers are so big and blocky

[quote name='royce321']would be nice to know if the x31/x41 worked with a pc as cables are a pain in the @$$....although its kinda a drag that the receivers are so big and blocky[/QUOTE]

voice wont work but if your pc has optical out sound will work.

[quote name='paz9x']voice wont work but if your pc has optical out sound will work.[/QUOTE]

If you absolutely must have PS3/PC chat on the x31/x41s, you can buy an adapter. It is an option now as it wasn't before. The headset will be wired to a USB port. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a wireless headset though. lol

[quote name='royce321']would be nice to know if the x31/x41 worked with a pc as cables are a pain in the @$$....although its kinda a drag that the receivers are so big and blocky[/QUOTE]

If you absolutely must have PS3/PC chat on the x31/x41s, you can buy an adapter. It is an option now as it wasn't before. The headset will be wired to a USB port. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a wireless headset though. :lol:

I sit 2 feet away from my PS3 and PC though so it doesn't really matter too much.

[quote name='paz9x']For xbox alone, Id go with the x11 or x31 if you wanted wireless. you could always add a dss later if you wanted surround.

Ive heard the px21 is solid so id probably go with those, the other option is the tritton ax 180.

there really arent a lot of options for consoles.

[/QUOTE]

I was looking more for something that would work with both consoles and PC. However, I have a bluetooth for :ps3: and have not bought a new :360: yet so, I could definitely go for something strictly PC.

Just so you know, Turtlebeach also has a Bluetooth dongle that works with the X41 or X31 that lets you use the mic on a PS3 or Bluetooth-enabled PC.

41SuTLJ9kWL._SL500_.jpg

The PBT has a mic input on it for when you have to use the X31 or X41 with a PS3 or PC. To my knowledge, this is the only Bluetooth on the market that has a feature like this.

PS3-PBT.jpg

PBT_howdoesitwork_03.jpg

[quote name='paz9x']I havent tried them personally but I have really only heard positive comments on them. Id give those a shot. you can always add the dss or mixamp later too.[/QUOTE]

My brother has the PX21 and he absolutely loves it. I admit its a pretty sick headset, considering all of the features that Turtlebeach packed into it. I still prefer my X41 because it has the Dolby surround, but adding a DSS will give the PX21 the same thing. This is exactly what my brother is doing btw. He already asked me for a DSS for Xmas. No reason to get a MixAmp because the PX21 already has chat balancing. So basically he's gonna have a DPX21.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

[quote name='GenesisGod']My brother has the PX21 and he absolutely loves it. I admit its a pretty sick headset, considering all of the features that Turtlebeach packed into it. I still prefer my X41 because it has the Dolby surround, but adding a DSS will give the PX21 the same thing. This is exactly what my brother is doing btw. He already asked me for a DSS for Xmas. No reason to get a MixAmp because the PX21 already has chat balancing. So basically he's gonna have a DPX21.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960[/QUOTE]

there is a difference in sound quality between the mixamp and dss. The performance difference isnt worth the monetary difference, especially if its not paired with a good set of headphones, but the difference is there.

Im going to pick up the px21's today, ill post my impression.

I should really have done videos for all of these. justintime on youtube is the only person ive seen do decent comparisons on any of them.

Just a side note:
If youre hearing any sort of popping not related to being out of wireless range of the headset, check your optical cable, theyre very sensitive and ive been able to solve popping issues by adjusting/changing toslink cables.

[quote name='paz9x']there is a difference in sound quality between the mixamp and dss. The performance difference isnt worth the monetary difference, especially if its not paired with a good set of headphones, but the difference is there.

Im going to pick up the px21's today, ill post my impression.

I should really have done videos for all of these. justintime on youtube is the only person ive seen do decent comparisons on any of them.

Just a side note:
If youre hearing any sort of popping not related to being out of wireless range of the headset, check your optical cable, theyre very sensitive and ive been able to solve popping issues by adjusting/changing toslink cables.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you are incorrect. The DSS and Mixamp have the same exact Dolby processing. There is no difference using a headset on either of them. The DSS just has a bass adjustment.

I own the Mixamp and our cousin has the DSS. I've tried both and compared them side-by-side. That's why my bro asked for the DSS instead of the Mixamp. No reason to waste the extra $65 when the DSS does the same thing for half the price.

[quote name='GenesisGod']Sorry, but you are incorrect. The DSS and Mixamp have the same exact Dolby processing. There is no difference using a headset on either of them. The DSS just has a bass adjustment.

I own the Mixamp and our cousin has the DSS. I've tried both and compared them side-by-side. That's why my bro asked for the DSS instead of the Mixamp. No reason to waste the extra $65 when the DSS does the same thing for half the price.[/QUOTE]

I have literally plugged headsets back and forth between them and there is a difference. there is something else going on besides the dolby processing that effects the sound output.

edit - It is entirely possible that my dss was faulty in some way. Everything Ive seen says they should output the same sound but it was just not the case with the units I owned.

bread's done
Back