Turtle Beach X41 $159, X31 $76 at Walmart.com and Amazon

greenwolfe7

CAGiversary!
Update: Amazon has matched this deal:
x41 http://www.amazon.com/Force-Digital-...5114934&sr=8-2

x31 http://www.amazon.com/Force-Digital-...5114934&sr=8-1

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-X41-Gaming-Headset-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/12538353 - turtle beach x41 158.54$ available online

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-X31-Gaming-Headset-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/12538354 - turtle beach x31 75.54$ available online

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/13313722
- alan wake 48.54$ online 97cent shipping.

\/\/come with 20$ e-giftcards for pre order\/\/
Halo Reach 59.96
Madden 11 59.96
Call of Duty black Ops 59.96

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some old headphones I found on clearance a while back that I use to play at night. I am considering getting the Turtle Beach x31. I wonder if there are any downsides to getting these. Has anyone tried them?

I have the x31s. If you can find the x3s (older model) for cheap online, you may as well get those. No real difference. Great quality on both sets though

I have the x41s myself and I love them I used them for almost everything games, movies, music(descent quality actually for music not like other headsets I've used), chat boost works well. I don't recommend bass boost but ehh to each their own. But they made me a believer in turtle beach anyway.

As long as you don't mind the hissing from chat monitoring (which you can't turn off), then Turtle Beach is ok. I have a pair of X11 and they work fine, the hissing is only really a problem if you have the headset volume low. Even then you'll probably tune it out quickly enough. Can the X31's be used as a PC headset?

The difference between x31 & x3

-x31 is the only one which will work with instrument games(GH & RB) varied instruments.

-x3 uses a separate AC adapter. x31 is USB powered.

-battery use varies, but both units have lasted anywhere from 6-14 hours depending on type of use. Both have auto-off functions which force the headset to turn off unless in-game audio is active. This means party chat will shut the headset off unless ambient game sound is playing or music is playing.

-the x31 has given me popping & cracking issues but it could be due to other devices interfering with it possibly.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I have the x31s. If you can find the x3s (older model) for cheap online, you may as well get those. No real difference. Great quality on both sets though[/QUOTE]

I don't think the X3 will work with a plasma tv. I have both the X4 and the X41. The X4 does not work with Plasma TVs. If you are using a LCD then the X4 will work fine. I actually like my older X4s better than the X41.

Before the x41's came out, Amazon once had the x4's on sale for ~$130.

Starting with the x1's, there was about a year in between each one. Around the
middle of 2008, the x4's were released. Around the middle of 2009, the x41's
were released. I have some guesses about what the next ones will now feature,
but that is just my own speculation. Perhaps they can fix the incidences of interference with other devices, which I think was a reported problem with some
people.

So, within a month or two, there should be word on the next release. Probably called
the x5's. That's just my guess.

I'm in the market for some nice headphones since I'll be moving to my own apartment in a few weeks. But seeing as I play the majority of my games and watch all my movies on my PS3, is this headset worth it as it doesn't seem like I can use the chat feature at all?

I'm just wondering if there are other surround sound headset alternatives that would be more practical for my usage for this price range.

holy bananas!
amazon's doing it too!
Flaming_arrow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nflsonic']I'm in the market for some nice headphones since I'll be moving to my own apartment in a few weeks. But seeing as I play the majority of my games and watch all my movies on my PS3, is this headset worth it as it doesn't seem like I can use the chat feature at all?

I'm just wondering if there are other surround sound headset alternatives that would be more practical for my usage for this price range.[/QUOTE]

The X41s (I have them myself and love them) are made for the Xbox (the plug for the controller even makes it seem that way). There is no mic port or anything PS3 wise and the X41 receiver doesn't support bluetooth, but you can use them for headphones on the PS3 just not for ingame chat. So if that doesnt bother you then by all means get the best gaming headset in the X41s. I felt a tad bit burned on this since I own both consoles... but man those headsets are freaking awesome!!

For PS3 if you want a TB set w/chat get these:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75204

Or go with what I feel is inferior (Trittons AX Pros).

Hm, I have been tempted with these before. I was debating between the x41s and the Astro A40s. I still don't know which to get. The Astros are about $250 however, only available through their webpage. These however are much cheaper and I do have ~$150 Walmart credit...

I don't know!

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']The X41s (I have them myself and love them) are made for the Xbox (the plug for the controller even makes it seem that way). There is no mic port or anything PS3 wise and the X41 receiver doesn't support bluetooth, but you can use them for headphones on the PS3 just not for ingame chat. So if that doesnt bother you then by all means get the best gaming headset in the X41s. I felt a tad bit burned on this since I own both consoles... but man those headsets are freaking awesome!!

Or go with what I feel is inferior (Trittons AX Pros).[/QUOTE]

I just purchased the Turtle Beach PX21 from BB today! I think they're what you're looking for. I haven't opened the package yet but I intend to tomorrow. Can't wait to try them out. I was waiting for the BB 10% coupon, coupled with certificates I paid a whopping $15 for them (original price is $79.99). And the best thing I love about them is the ability to use chat and sound on both the 360 and PS3 for the price that they're asking. I'm big on sound but I can do without 5.1 in a pair of headphones if its going to save me some money. They're a fairly new model, came out around April or so. And they replaced the Turtle Beach headset that was only PS3. They improved on that design and made it compatible with the 360 as well. Like I said, can't wait to try them out. Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efp21/home.aspx

Amazon has matched this deal.

x41
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Digital..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275114934&sr=8-2

x31
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Digital..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1275114934&sr=8-1

I have been thinking about getting a pair recently so this is great, along with a $10 game credit. I just don't know which pair to get. I want the full 7.1 but i've heard alot of complaints about the x41. However if its the same RF router as the x31s then that shouldn't make a difference.

Anyone happen to know amazons return policy for this type of merchandise?

The X41's are really comfortable and they are really light. However lots of people complain about a background hiss (only noticeable when its quiet in game). I returned mine because of this. If you go to search at the Turtle beach forum you can find lots of threads about this, but Turtle beach will offer to exchange them for a set that may or may not fix the hissing noise.

Also I don't think your going to be able to tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1. Either way its simulated (there are only 2 physical speakers) and the source (X360) only does 5.1 sound. Thats not to say virtual surround sound doesn't work. It does a good job at tricking your ears/mind. The A40's MixAmp uses the same Dolby Digital technology.

If you want a amp/reciever that can do multiple speakers than Tritons offer that.

I have the Astro's and I would recommend the X41's if you can get a good pair. Wireless is really nice and they are super comfortable.

I have the X31s always interferes with my wireless connection.. I have a linksys 2.4 ghz router and it seem to share the same frequency.. Sometimes when i have connection problem i unplug the receiver for a while and plug it back in. So if you have 2.4 ghz router, caution.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']The X41s (I have them myself and love them) are made for the Xbox (the plug for the controller even makes it seem that way). There is no mic port or anything PS3 wise and the X41 receiver doesn't support bluetooth, but you can use them for headphones on the PS3 just not for ingame chat. So if that doesnt bother you then by all means get the best gaming headset in the X41s. I felt a tad bit burned on this since I own both consoles... but man those headsets are freaking awesome!!

Or go with what I feel is inferior (Trittons AX Pros).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice! But after hearing more about the hissing noise that seems to be present with the x41s, I'm leaning away from buying them. It's one of those things that I know would be bother me to an extent of non-enjoyment.

But I do seem to like what I hear about the px21s. I don't need surround sound in my headphones, just good sound quality. I may just pick these up with the credit I have at GS and buy an actual surround sound setup down the road.

[quote name='uEih']I have the X31s always interferes with my wireless connection.. I have a linksys 2.4 ghz router and it seem to share the same frequency.. Sometimes when i have connection problem i unplug the receiver for a while and plug it back in. So if you have 2.4 ghz router, caution.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem, my wireless would go crazy with the thing plugged in. I also got random hissing from the controlers. My receiver was mounted right under my tv, right over all the consoles. I moved it about 3 or 4 foot from the tv placing it on top of the dvd shelf in the corner of the room and have had no problems with the hiss or the wireless network sence. Try moving it away from the consoles and you should be good. :D

Tempting...I haven't tried out the Turtle Beach set but i did try out the Trittons and was pretty disappointed.

If im going this high in price then i would also consider the Astro A30's with Mixamp. Its actually $230 msrp. Anyway, anyone here try those out?

I have the x41 its a good price. If you need to play videogames loud and dont want to bother someone next to you these are perfect. I had to give up my surround sound system in the move and got this headset instead. I play games pretty loud my gf and sleeping baby next to me cant hear a thing.

but

they do pop and crack especially if u have wireless network setup and the router nearby. Placement of the receiver is also important, i ended up having it to the lower left of my tv. The closer you can put the headphones to the receiver helps to.

I dont know if anyone else had this but my first pair seemed to pop and crack less then my new one (2nd pair) so i may have to warranty these out. So some headsets may work better then others

the low hiss isnt that big of a deal it goes away once the game starts cuz you cant hear it.

they do chew thru batteries buy rechargeable

Since you can input the sound of the TV through the Headset is it possible for these to then be used JUST for that with my PS3 as well???

I dont need the online chat for the Ps3 but the in game sound through them would be nice.

[quote name='G3 Steve-O']Since you can input the sound of the TV through the Headset is it possible for these to then be used JUST for that with my PS3 as well???

I dont need the online chat for the Ps3 but the in game sound through them would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Good question. I imagine this would be the case, you should be able to hear all of the TV audio through either model and this just has an adapter for the 360 chat.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

The X41s work great out of the box with the 360, PS3, and Wii. The ONLY reason you need to buy the adapter is if you want to use chat on the PS3. If you're just buying it to watch movies or play games (both of which sound amazing on these, IMO), you just need the headset. There's a digital audio input and a component audio input on the back of the X41 transmitter, so you can have both the PS3 and 360 plugged in at once, too.

I have the X4 (not X4.1) and have really mixed feelings about them.

There is a noticeable hiss when there is not a lot of music or sound. This isn't a big deal but can really annoying in some of the silent scenes in movies or games. The good thing about the X4 vs X4.1 is that they changed from IR (line of sight) to RF. The biggest downside I have is that it's sometimes hard to distinguish chat and in game sounds if you have the volume up during certain scenes.

[quote name='Los 33x']I just purchased the Turtle Beach PX21 from BB today! I think they're what you're looking for. I haven't opened the package yet but I intend to tomorrow. Can't wait to try them out. I was waiting for the BB 10% coupon, coupled with certificates I paid a whopping $15 for them (original price is $79.99). And the best thing I love about them is the ability to use chat and sound on both the 360 and PS3 for the price that they're asking. I'm big on sound but I can do without 5.1 in a pair of headphones if its going to save me some money. They're a fairly new model, came out around April or so. And they replaced the Turtle Beach headset that was only PS3. They improved on that design and made it compatible with the 360 as well. Like I said, can't wait to try them out. Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efp21/home.aspx[/QUOTE]

Didn't know the PX21 was upgraded and it seems like the x41s really aren't wireless if you want chat. I'll have to check out the PX21. Spending $80 on PX21 versus $230 for the A30 is a very attractive option

The astros are only as expensive as they are because they got MLG backing, so people figure if they want to be MLG good, they need what the MLG'rs use(very common marketing tactic). The x41s are, sound for sound, better headphones. Why pay nearly 100$ more for the A40's when the x41s do the job you want done better?

Though requiring AAA batteries was a bad move, x5s will probably change that and solve a lot of other MINOR issues. If you own x41s, it probably won't warrant an immediate upgrade.

[quote name='fartman']The astros are only as expensive as they are because they got MLG backing, so people figure if they want to be MLG good, they need what the MLG'rs use(very common marketing tactic). The x41s are, sound for sound, better headphones. Why pay nearly 100$ more for the A40's when the x41s do the job you want done better?

Though requiring AAA batteries was a bad move, x5s will probably change that and solve a lot of other MINOR issues. If you own x41s, it probably won't warrant an immediate upgrade.[/QUOTE]

So are you saying x5s will be coming out sometime soon?

[quote name='Xfactor19990']anyone think x5's are coming very soon?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, but you just never know. I think the X11, 31, and 41 just came out recently.

With that said, I ordered a pair of x11's after my buddy bought some over the weekend. I have heard people say TB's are great but OH. MY. GOSH. :drool:

[quote name='Xfactor19990']oh on a side note these use AAA batteries right? Anyone know a great deal on rechargable AAA+recharger lol[/QUOTE]

I've ordered from here before and they are AMAZING. The top pops off like a CAP and then you can charge them in ANY USB Device. They are great. I use them for my Wii Remotes and I have a few others.

The AAA batteries are coming soon. So take a look. My original pair I got for Xmas 5 years ago still have as long a battery life NOW as they did then. And they do last long.

http://www.usbcell.com/

--------

On to the main topic on this thread I think Im gonna snag the PX21 since they can use ALL features for both PS3 and 360.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I doubt it, but you just never know. I think the X11, 31, and 41 just came out recently.

With that said, I ordered a pair of x11's after my buddy bought some over the weekend. I have heard people say TB's are great but OH. MY. GOSH. :drool:[/QUOTE]

It's been over a year and I don't think these drop in price often. I would guess they are getting ready to roll out the new line in a few months. getting rid of inventory.

I've been interested in these for awhile but it sounds like a lot of hassle for the money. I have way to complicated of an entertainment setup to go gutting things for this to work.

I ordered the X-41 from Amazon. Has anyone bought/used the adapter for the ps3? It's an extra $30 bucks but I want to get some feedback on it before I buy it.

Sharkoon Xtatic is a superior headset to anything that turtle beach has to offer. My experience comes from use with the PS3 console.
Also, be aware of the difference between true digital sound and simulated, the latter of which is what turtle beach offers.

Hmm, a thought occurs. The new line of headsets (as previously mentioned) may be coming out soon and with E3 only two weeks away maybe this isn't the lowest we will see these prices.

I love the idea of getting the X31s and the price listed on Walmart's website doesn't look like a sale price so I'm going to be a patient gamer and wait this one out. *crosses fingers*

to everyone asking for a rechargeable AAA:

Sanyo eneloops are, from what i've heard, the best rechargeable batteries on the market, so you might want to check them out (amazon)

[quote name='fartman']to everyone asking for a rechargeable AAA:

Sanyo eneloops are, from what i've heard, the best rechargeable batteries on the market, so you might want to check them out (amazon)[/QUOTE]

Without question. I have about 30 Eneloops in rotation at my house and I LOVE them.

bread's done
Back