Twisted Metal - Feb. 14th 2012

The demo is pretty bad. I couldn't kill anyone in the single player. The only Twisted Metal game I ever played was TM2 and man I love that game. My cousin and I probably beat that game over 100 times and this felt nothing like it. Again, I have no idea how 3 and Black played but this seemed off to me. There is way too much stuff going on with the controller. I used to play 2 with the old Playstation Controller and it seems they are trying to use every single button on the controller and since they ran out of buttons you have to tilt it... I am not feeling so good about this game anymore. I hope this is just a terrible demo.

After playing more of it and while I haven't been able to get into an online game, I do like it. I'm getting to the controls and I was even able to beat the challenge (with Death Warrant). Basically all it take is a bit of strategy and you can do fine.

The single player challenge isnt hard, I think people are not used to the game yet and dont realize you need to play for the power ups and health packs. I got killed a lot until I realized I forgot all about finding and picking up the health packs.

I still think the game isnt as good as it should be, so I will sit it out until the price drops. However I never buy games on Day 1 anymore anyway, so this doesnt mean a lot of people wont really enjoy this game on Day 1.

[quote name='Just-Joe']Jaffe's been tweeting like crazy about the game. Apparently the game will be much easier than the demo.[/QUOTE]
No, no, no! It should be hard, back to the days where you didn't always beat a game but kept trying anyway. Carebears these days. . . :\

[quote name='Jodou']No, no, no! It should be hard, back to the days where you didn't always beat a game but kept trying anyway. Carebears these days. . . :\[/QUOTE]

jaffe was misquoted there. he said NORMAL wont be as hard as in the demo, but there is a hardcore setting in the SP if you want a huge challenge.

I dont know about graphics and all that crap but the game is just as fun as TM ever was. Agreed though if this game does not have FULLY customizable controls Im not buying. Whoever set the default scheme should be fired. Its terrible.

I played about 10 games of Nuke and a couple DM

I feel like ppl are having a hard time with controls because back then gas break e-brake were face buttons and nowadays gas and break are shoulder buttons for driving games

I'm fine with the face buttons for driving but i don't remember advanced moves being so complicated. Whatever its been a long time since I've played a TM
I can't get into any games right now

i was gonna get this game but im not sure yet though. the graphics are kinda crappy and i played one match online and i was using the face buttons as weapons and it was kinda boring i had 1 kill 1 assist and 3 deaths. maybe the full game is better but i kinda doubt it.

[quote name='smiggity']I'm fine with the face buttons for driving but i don't remember advanced moves being so complicated. Whatever its been a long time since I've played a TM
I can't get into any games right now[/QUOTE]

Advance moves like shield freeze and reverse attack ? It's way easier now. In black you had to do code inputs for that stuff like up up, down up, left down. Now its just one button d pad

[quote name='vic_x51']Advance moves like shield freeze and reverse attack ? It's way easier now. In black you had to do code inputs for that stuff like up up, down up, left down. Now its just one button d pad[/QUOTE]

Yeah it think it was d pad L,R,U for freeze or something like that back in the day. LRD for napalm I think.

hmmmm idk... Im a huge Twisted Metal fan but couldnt reallyl get into this... Ill give the demo a few more tries but it just doesnt have that Twisted Metal feel... Right now, if I had to choose. I would pick up Kingdom of Amalur over this as a day 1 purchase.. Just from what I have played I would have TM purchased around a $29.99 price tag

I've never played a Twisted Metal Game before, but I was pretty excited for this game. However, the demo is totally disappointing. I gave it several tries, and it just wasn't fun. It's a damn shame, too; this game had such potential in my mind...

Maybe there are just too many buttons now and it seems so much harder. Its a small gripe and I love the game, like I said before it seems like TM to me. Tons of mayhem tons of fun

[quote name='8bitArtist']jaffe was misquoted there. he said NORMAL wont be as hard as in the demo, but there is a hardcore setting in the SP if you want a huge challenge.[/QUOTE]
In my mind there's only one setting: hardest. Good to know!

[quote name='smiggity']Maybe there are just too many buttons now and it seems so much harder. Its a small gripe and I love the game, like I said before it seems like TM to me. Tons of mayhem tons of fun[/QUOTE]

its like the opposite of all those games weve played where you can tell they didnt put enough time into it. i feel they may have had way too much time for this and in the course of its creation and because they want it to be the best it can be may have tried for too much.

ill wait to see what the final product is like but as of now i see this game being more for the hardcore fans of the series if they were hoping to bring in newbies to the series its going to be a hard sale.

[quote name='lokizz']its like the opposite of all those games weve played where you can tell they didnt put enough time into it. i feel they may have had way too much time for this and in the course of its creation and because they want it to be the best it can be may have tried for too much.

ill wait to see what the final product is like but as of now i see this game being more for the hardcore fans of the series if they were hoping to bring in newbies to the series its going to be a hard sale.[/QUOTE]

Great point and its probably true

I gave it another shot. I am actually enjoying it now when I can get into a multiplayer game, but wow you need a road map for the controls. haha. I pre-ordered just for Axel if it sucks I can always cancel before it ships.

[quote name='Just-Joe']Jaffe's been tweeting like crazy about the game. Apparently the game will be much easier than the demo. I really hope this is another case of bad demo good game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='vic_x51']Really guys ? I played the demo and loved it. I han a hard time getting use to the controls again and fighting the first 10mins. But got the hang f it and destoyed everyone easy. If anything I felt like this demo was to easy. And Ian not a giant tm fan and couldn't beat tm black unless with help. I was unable to test online.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HELLRAZR_28']I've never played a Twisted Metal Game before, but I was pretty excited for this game. However, the demo is totally disappointing. I gave it several tries, and it just wasn't fun. It's a damn shame, too; this game had such potential in my mind...[/QUOTE]

Wow...:cold: (chilly reception in here)

I thought it was pretty good, played as the chopper both times (was SHOCKED with how many vehicles were in the demo to play) it was next gen TM, if you liked it before what wasn't there to like now?

I chose Classic TM control setup and got right back into the swing of things no problem. And as far as mapping things to the d-pad they could have done the stupid fighting game button press cluster fuck they did in the last few games (which I'm glad they killed, btw)

If I have one complaint against the game, it's that they keep fucking up Mr. Grimm ( I like his TM1 incarnation the reaper on wheels, not the crazy vet or the scarred kid of a daredevil) and that story mode was gimped in favor of more focus on the multiplayer aspect of the game.

I will be buying it in a few months when the price goes down, but it still looks, feels, and plays like TM to me, anyone who thinks it's too hard needs to practice some more ;) (I managed to open up Minion in TM Black by myself, and this game was no where near as hard)

I finally got to play the game online. It took 3 tries to get connected to a Nuke match.

Once connected, I had no idea WTF was going on. The stages are so fucking huge and it's very difficult to see the weapons in many areas due to all the cars, trees, etc. I couldn't find the leader (whether or defense or offense) a lot of times because they appeared on the other side of some mountains. Without a map, I didn't know how to get there.

I'm not a fan of the controls. I'm using the race controls (which are way better than the classic controls) but they should really let you customize them... but there's too many damn things mapped to the controller, I can't imagine finding a comfortable layout for this game.

I did start to get the hang of it after a while and did have fun with it. But with the way game's made, I can see this turning off due to the many nuances.

[quote name='uncle5555']Wow...:cold: (chilly reception in here)

I thought it was pretty good, played as the chopper both times (was SHOCKED with how many vehicles were in the demo to play) it was next gen TM, if you liked it before what wasn't there to like now?

I chose Classic TM control setup and got right back into the swing of things no problem. And as far as mapping things to the d-pad they could have done the stupid fighting game button press cluster fuck they did in the last few games (which I'm glad they killed, btw)

If I have one complaint against the game, it's that they keep fucking up Mr. Grimm ( I like his TM1 incarnation the reaper on wheels, not the crazy vet or the scarred kid of a daredevil) and that story mode was gimped in favor of more focus on the multiplayer aspect of the game.

I will be buying it in a few months when the price goes down, but it still looks, feels, and plays like TM to me, anyone who thinks it's too hard needs to practice some more ;) (I managed to open up Minion in TM Black by myself, and this game was no where near as hard)[/QUOTE]

Actually, I did say the more I played as well as got the hang of thing, the more I liked it beating the challenge mode with Darkside, Death Warrant, and Crimson Fury, it just takes some strategy. Online however is difficult to get into and I assume the final game won't have this problem. I'm still planning on getting it.

[quote name='8bitArtist']did people complain this much about TM Blacks controls?[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but I don't think they had deadly force in tmb (or one of the set ups I used to use for the old games) I think it took me a while to get used to it.

I don't understand why there aren't standard features on games.

1) Fully customizable controls should be standard
2) Invert "y" or "x" independently should also be standard

Controls are the limiting factor for me and pushed me to wait on it. I thought the demo was okay, but if I really have to think that hard about the controls am I enjoying the game? It was like they are trying to implement everything they can think of in one shot.

I cant believe there isnt more hype for this. Its amazing and has clan support. That alone makes it better than COD and BF3

[quote name='jmbreci'] but if I really have to think that hard about the controls am I enjoying the game?.[/QUOTE]

but thats just it, if you play it for a little while, you dont have to think about the controls. the controls in black were WORSE and i had no problem beating the hell out of every aspect of that game. after 3 games, i was already getting the hang of the controls and where the power ups where.

theres way more games out there that dont have fully customizable controls than there are that do.

[quote name='smiggity']I cant believe there isnt more hype for this.[/QUOTE]

its car combat. a dead genre so to speak. only people that are excited are people in there late 20s and 30s that started playing the series on ps1

and jaffe just left eat.sleep.play. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/07/report-jaffe-leaves-eat-sleep-play-layoffs-hit-developer

Last edited by a moderator:
Been having some fun with the demo since I got all the controls down but meh I may just wait it out now seeing as Jaffe left eat.sleep.play and they laid off a bunch of people to transition to iOS games. Really fucking iOS? Makes me think this will not have the support it needs behind it for the multiplayer. I know Santa Monica Studios helped also in TM maybe they will be the ones giving the game support. Who knows.

Definately not interested in this anymore and black was one of my fav ps2 games. SSX will be much more fun.

Can't bring myself to pre-order it. It's weird seeing a game at $60 with no GCs anywhere even if it does come with Twisted Metal Black. I've never played TMB but I can't see myself playing it very much when there is a newer version available and they didn't make an HD version of it.

The guy at Best Buy said I would get my Axel unlock code in my email, anyone else pre-order at a Best Buy? Are any other retailers emailing the codes?

All it is is an early unlock code, really not a big deal if I don't get it since my Best Buy just straight up gave me $10 off the price when I tried to price match the Toys R Us $10 gift card deal.

I never played Twisted Metal: Head On, so really for me this was a (almost) ten year hiatus, I've missed this series. I know this is CAG but anyone waiting to buy this because they think it's too much whom is a fan of the whole series or maybe just loved Black, haven't you waited long enough?

I don't remember being 'attached' to any characters and from checking out a review It's my understanding that there are only four characters in the main story, so yeah that might piss some people off, I get it, it's just not an issue for me. But yeah when you go into single player there is no character select, It just starts you with Sweet Tooth.

BTW, Holy Crap, the story scenes are awesome, very Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez's Sin City-esque.

I am getting seriously annoyed though with this "Let's name it the original title so people who have never heard of it think it's a new series trend," It's getting stupid. This PS3 game, to me, is "Twisted Metal 6" or "Twisted Metal: Black 2." "Twisted Metal" was released in 1995, simple as that. /end rant

The online is pretty fucked up at the moment. I can't join 90% of games, but when I do finally get into a game with friends, it's ridiculously fun. I love this game, I can't wait till I get home from work tomorrow to keep playing. I'll eventually do the story mode, but the online is so much fun right now when it works.

The story is a lot of fun, three different parts. I finished the sweet tooth story in about a hour, fun little story. Online is a lot of fun when I am able to connect. Even when I do connect, I get kicked after I complete one game.

I have not played a TM game in almost a decade and I think it's worth the 60 dollar price tag.

I will wait until they at least get the online fixed up before I buy it. How many game modes are there? Nuke, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and any others?

I am an old TM fan with TM 2 being my favorite, who is currently trying to decide if this game is worth it or not. I would play more SP than MP I imagine, is the SP worth a purchase if that's what you would primarily play? How many modes can you play in SP, can anyone list them for me? I really just want deathmatch and team deathmatch with bots for SP.

[quote name='cgarb84']I am an old TM fan with TM 2 being my favorite, who is currently trying to decide if this game is worth it or not. I would play more SP than MP I imagine, is the SP worth a purchase if that's what you would primarily play? How many modes can you play in SP, can anyone list them for me? I really just want deathmatch and team deathmatch with bots for SP.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the SP yet (DAMN MIDTERMS!) but the multiplayer is very fun. I only played TM 2 and I loved that game. My cousin and I beat it at least 100 times and I loved every second of it. The controls take a little while to get used to it but once do the learning curve is well worth it. I feel like the cars are pretty well balanced and Axel is my favorite (He was the only character I used in TM2) and I think his specials are some of the most devastating and useful. His main special can be hard to use but learning how to use it is rewarding. I think that if you're a TM fan you would like this game but I don't know if you would think it's worth $60.

Well after finding out about the game not working on many FAT ps3's there's no way I'm going to take a chance on it. I have two ps3's (80gig fat and a 120gig slim) but I would want to play the game on my FAT system. Apparently there is a fairly large percentage of people out there who can't play the game at all on a FAT system......that is really inexcusable. Anyone here have a FAT ps3 and can play this game fine?

I dont know anything about working on the fat PS3s but I watched the review on Gametrailers (I cant get on the site from work so I cant link it right now) and they mentioned a lot of SP modes to play through along with 3 "stories" for 3 of the characters to play through. There are different types of levels and races too for SP. And it isnt easy so it looks like a game that will take a while to play through. I wasnt going to get TM since I didnt think the MP demo was that hot, but after watching their review I am intrigued and will pick it up with the invariable price drop to $40 or below down the road.

[quote name='smiggity']I will wait until they at least get the online fixed up before I buy it. How many game modes are there? Nuke, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and any others?[/QUOTE]

Hunted, Team Hunted, Last Man Standing, and Team Last Man Standing.

[quote name='cgarb84'] How many modes can you play in SP, can anyone list them for me? I really just want deathmatch and team deathmatch with bots for SP.[/QUOTE]

Minus the story there are Kill all bots, 1v1 Endurance, and Max. Cars Endurance.

------

Despite the online issues, I've managed to get to Rank 18. I unlocked my 3 favorites from Tier 2: Sweet Tooth, Darkside, and Talon.

[quote name='cgarb84']Well after finding out about the game not working on many FAT ps3's there's no way I'm going to take a chance on it. I have two ps3's (80gig fat and a 120gig slim) but I would want to play the game on my FAT system. Apparently there is a fairly large percentage of people out there who can't play the game at all on a FAT system......that is really inexcusable. Anyone here have a FAT ps3 and can play this game fine?[/QUOTE]

I never head this, I have a FAT PS3 and the game works fine. I've played through Sweet Tooth and Mr Grimm and despite a few personal things, I do like the game.

[quote name='Supplice']Hunted, Team Hunted, Last Man Standing, and Team Last Man Standing.

Minus the story there are Kill all bots, 1v1 Endurance, and Max. Cars Endurance.

------

Despite the online issues, I've managed to get to Rank 18. I unlocked my 3 favorites from Tier 2: Sweet Tooth, Darkside, and Talon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I am gonna grab it soon then. Maybe tomorrow:D

bread's done
Back