Two different versions of Dragon Age: Origins CE for Xbox 360

neiname

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Unfortunate news for all those perfectionists out there who like to have every version of every game for a system. It seems that Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition actually has two different versions out there with plenty of differences.

Picture #1 - two Xbox 360 copies of DA:O. One pre-ordered from Amazon and received on release day ("right one", 1st version). The other received from EA.com in late December ("left one", 2nd version).

Picture #2 - the 2nd version has a much more blood red tone on the steelbook image then the 1st version which tends to look washed out or maroon. Probably hard to tell in the picture but can be seen side-by-side.

Picture #3 - Much more dramatic change on the back as the emblem is black in the 2nd version and blue in the 1st version.

Picture #4 - This is what made me notice it, the 2nd version has the discs use two spindles (1 in the upper quadrant and 1 in the lower quadrant) and the 1st version uses spindle that is inserted and the back spindle.

No Picture - Different markings on the back, the 2nd version has "2009 Electronic Arts Inc. All Rights Reserved. 1688511" and the 1st version has "2009 Electronic Arts Inc. All Rights Reserved. 822668". You probably can't read the picture.

Picture #5 - Different makings of the steelbook. The 2nd version was STEELBOOK, STELLBOOK.COM and the 1st version has Patent Pending, Star Metalpak, www.keysolutions.fr, [email protected]

Picture #6 #7 - The hinges are different, picture #7 is the 1st version and its hinge is such that the case cannot late flate when opened. The front cover extends in a unibody fashion to be the spine and inserts into the back cover. Picture 8 or the 2nd version has a separate plastic spine. I included Picture #8 (1st version is on top) to show the difference from the outside.

[quote name='drone8888']Life.... get one :p[/QUOTE]
vacation from the internet, you deserve one.

stop trying to be a dick.

[quote name='drone8888']Life.... get one :p[/QUOTE]

I don't see the problem here... he's showing people that there are two different versions of something.

I'm amazed he even caught something like that. Good eye, OP.

Nice find Neiname! I wonder if the PS3 version of the LE is the same? I have a first print PS3 version but cannot readily it compare it to another.

[quote name='Josef']Nice find Neiname! I wonder if the PS3 version of the LE is the same? I have a first print PS3 version but cannot readily it compare it to another.[/QUOTE]

I have a 1st print ps3, it's similar to the 1st print 360 version, not sure about later versions.

Actually, if I'm reading that right, this is worth knowing. There's a ton of people that scoff at the 'fake' steelbook cases (the metalpack ones) and would LOVE to know that there's an official honest-to-god steelbook version. I guess that explains the reprint, though.

Nice catch, op.

Seems that the second version is better in every way.

And the first version is not even a Steelbook case? Wow. I know some people LUV their Steelbooks, and probably thought thats what they were getting when they preordered from Amazon.

So, I took a gamble on this and ordered a new one from Amazon when they had them available a few days ago. I'm crossing my fingers that the Steelbook shows up, since I'm almost certain they *have* to be the second run.

It's a sad form of OCD, I know. Looking at that piece of crap MetalPak and knowing there's a better edition out there is just too much for me. Haha.

[quote name='Puffa469']Seems that the second version is better in every way.

And the first version is not even a Steelbook case? Wow. I know some people LUV their Steelbooks, and probably thought thats what they were getting when they preordered from Amazon.[/QUOTE]I just checked and I have the 1st run/"inferior" version that isn't in the steelbook, it's the metal case that wishes it was a steelbook.

Look, the early adopters get screwed yet again.

Well, I received my other copy from Amazon today, which I had ordered about a week ago.

... it's the 'old' version. So, basically, I have no clue where the Steelbook ones are coming from and where they show up. Ha.

At least Amazon has a liberal return policy, especially since it's unopened.

[quote name='rainking187']I'll never understand the love steelbooks get. I'll keep my "inferior" version with a hub that I can actually get the discs off of.[/QUOTE]

They really are quite nice, though. Getting the discs out can be a bitch, unfortunately, so you're right about that. I never go out of my way to get one, but if I can get a good deal, I usually go for it.

OP, interesting you should bring this up. On the Future Shop Forum one person brought up their Dragon Age being a MetalPak while another saying they got a Steelbook. The posts are from December.

Ok, having received two in the past few weeks, if you want the Steelbook, just order from EA Store. Got mine yesterday and, to me, the upgrade was worth it. It just feels higher quality than the older one, and the map even seems just a bit better.

Thing to note about EA Store: mine came in a large box with ONE air packer. As you can imagine, cardboard + plastic sleeve + unchecked sliding = scratches. I still have my original CE, so I just switched sleeves, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Oh, and the Steelbook doesn't seem to really 'fit' in either sleeve (original or new). Kind of just slides right out, but the trade-off is worth it.

Anyway, thanks again for the catch, OP! Way happier with the newer case.

Maybe EA and Steelbook couldn't come to an agreement in time so that's why later versions of the Dragon Age CE and all the ME 2 CE's are actual Steelbook.

bread's done
Back