Tying to get new HD to look its best on Xbox 360. Any Suggestions?

XTommyDonX

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

Just got a new 32" Samsung 720p (LN32A450) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8742596&type=product&id=1202648740213

Although I can really see the potential of this TV, I really am having a difficult time getting it to show its full potential when playing the 360. I'm setting it to 720p on the system settings and suddenly, all of the text becomes very unclear and casts a layer of shadow. This is annoying as well as the fact that Fable 2 looked a bit better on my SDTV. WHat am I doing wrong? Anyone have any tips?

My 360 doesn't have an HDMI port so I am using components. My PS3 looks amazing with HDMI. Thanks for the assistance.

Try a VGA adapter if you're TV has a PC input.

Having used all 3 HD ways to connect a 360 to a HDTV, they rank like this IMO:

HDMI>VGA>Component

There is a switch on the cable for SDTV or HDTV, check that.

Verify your TV is also set to 720p.

Do you know anyone else with a 360 so you can test with their system and cables?
There are 3 possbile points of failure here, the 360, the cables, and the tv. I'd wanna get it narrowed down asap so if it is the TV you can swap that bad boy out.

Is there any way to improve it without spending even more money? I know I can just get them on MonoPrice for cheap but are they that much different from components?

Does anyone who has this TV know any good settings for Xbox 360 play?

I don't think its the TV's problem. Although for some reson, there is no text blur with it set to 1080i (although its really 720p). Does anyone have good calibration tips?

If you set is 32" and new, then its 1366x768 native resolution.....or its 1080p. If its 1080p, set the xbox to putput 1080i (many sets wont accept 1080p over component).

If its not a 1080p set, set the xbox for 768p (I think it has that option)....if not, set it to 1080i instead of 720p and let your set scale the image down, which may look better than the set trying to scale 720p UP.

[quote name='HeadRusch']If you set is 32" and new, then its 1366x768 native resolution.....or its 1080p. If its 1080p, set the xbox to putput 1080i (many sets wont accept 1080p over component).

If its not a 1080p set, set the xbox for 768p (I think it has that option)....if not, set it to 1080i instead of 720p and let your set scale the image down, which may look better than the set trying to scale 720p UP.[/quote]

It doesn't ave 768p but it looks like my best option is to set it to 720p (that's the TV's qulity). It also looks like ghosting has stopped but it looks like some graphical quality gets sacrificed.

Thanks so much for your help guys. If you have any more tips, please feel free to post more.

I've heard HDMI is far superior to componet cables. If you want the best experience you'll have to pony up even more dough, I know it sucks but that's the best route to go. I saw some on eBay for 17 bucks for non-M$, 40 for official M$ ones. Amazon has them for 42 from amazon or 22 for a used set from a couple sellers. As for calibration tips I don't think all the calibration in the world can make up for the shortfalls of componet technology.

Also, is Rock Band supposed to look really old in the backgrounds on HDTVs? The notes and menus look great but wow, the characters look pretty bad.

And why do the videos in SingStar PS3 look terrible? Are NONE of those in HD yet? My PS3 has HDMI and the menus and album art look awesome. However almost every video looks really choppy, worse than on my SDTV. I also notice that this may be because SOny just hasn't put and HD quality videos up yet, except for 3... 3 out of about 450 SingStore downloads are HD quality which I feel is a bit sad.

[quote name='samurai388']I've heard HDMI is far superior to componet cables. If you want the best experience you'll have to pony up even more dough, I know it sucks but that's the best route to go. I saw some on eBay for 17 bucks for non-M$, 40 for official M$ ones. Amazon has them for 42 from amazon or 22 for a used set from a couple sellers. As for calibration tips I don't think all the calibration in the world can make up for the shortfalls of componet technology.[/quote]

My system doesn't have an HDMI port. Yes, being an early adopter of a system can be a real pain later on when you see that everyone else who pays less money gets a better system than the early buyers.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']My system doesn't have an HDMI port. Yes, being an early adopter of a system can be a real pain later on when you see that everyone else who pays less money gets a better system than the early buyers.[/quote]

Ouch sorry about that. I hate how that happens.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']My system doesn't have an HDMI port. Yes, being an early adopter of a system can be a real pain later on when you see that everyone else who pays less money gets a better system than the early buyers.[/quote]

That isn't a big deal anyway, as VGA is fine on my setup. I don't even really have a HDMI port on the TV to spare for the 360, so it works great that that is an option for me. Those VGA cables were cheap from TRU a while back. If your TV has a VGA input that is.

[quote name='samurai388']Ouch sorry about that. I hate how that happens.[/QUOTE]

I know, it's really stupid of them.

[quote name='turls']That isn't a big deal anyway, as VGA is fine on my setup. I don't even really have a HDMI port on the TV to spare for the 360, so it works great that that is an option for me. Those VGA cables were cheap from TRU a while back. If your TV has a VGA input that is.[/QUOTE]

It does have a PC port. I just can't stand giving MS more money for their ridiculously priced accessories. I'll see if I can find one on clearance.

Turn Auto Motion Plus off when playing games. It can create ghosting and odd halos around things. Also, you're gonna have to suck it up and buy a VGA cable if you want the best picture.

Read up on AVSForums to get some settings for your set.

i just bought a Philips 42 inch, and the 30 looks pixely and such. is it because of the stock component cables? or do i need to screw with settings on something? and m TV doesn't have a VGA port on it, anyway around that? i do have the VGA cable and my 360 does not have an HDMI hookup

[quote name='AshesofWake']i just bought a Philips 42 inch, and the 30 looks pixely and such. is it because of the stock component cables? or do i need to screw with settings on something? and m TV doesn't have a VGA port on it, anyway around that? i do have the VGA cable and my 360 does not have an HDMI hookup[/quote]

If you haven't calibrated the set, then you should, and you also might be sitting too close. I have a Samsung LN52A650 and if I sit about 4 feet away, I notice sharp edges when playing my 360, which I guess you could call "pixely".

There are also Component -> HDMI converters but I hear those do nothing but worsen the video quality.

You can't calibrate a set for video games, just a FYI...if you calibrate it for movies your games are going to be much, much too dark.

To the OP: Try setting it to 1080i instead of 720p and see if that signal looks any cleaner.

Some suggestions:

• Take your set out of Dynamic mode. If you really have your heart set on it, at least turn off the DNIe (you'll find it under the picture options menu). Movie mode is best, though Standard works well too.
  • Turn down the Sharpness and turn off Edge Enhancement
  • Turn off DNR (digital noise reduction; I've heard reports that it can cause ghosting/smearing).
I have the same set-up as you and I've not noticed the problems you've described (360 is set to 720p output over component). I'll list the settings I use. They may work in your case, or they may not, try it and see. Also, this does not constitute a proper calibration. That requires special equipment and the resulting settings are usually tv-specific.

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 10
Color: 46
Tint: 50/50

Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: +1
Color Space: Native
White Balance: no change
Fleshtone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off

Color Tone: Normal
DNR: Off

[quote name='HeadRusch']You can't calibrate a set for video games, just a FYI...if you calibrate it for movies your games are going to be much, much too dark.

To the OP: Try setting it to 1080i instead of 720p and see if that signal looks any cleaner.[/quote]

I don't know what kind of TV you have, but on mine, you have 3 different modes for each input, i.e. HDMI1 has 3 port specific modes, HDMI2 has it's own 3, etc.

The OP only has a 32 inch, but I'm sure being that it's a newer TV, he also has this feature...

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to find those VGAs on sale. Anyone see them cheap?[/quote]

Cheapest I've seen for a Microsoft brand was $29.99 at Best Buy. Monoprice has a non-OEM one for around $6

[quote name='wowimsocute']see if your local gamestop has them in stock. $10.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=40681[/QUOTE]

Wow, only 10 used is very tempting, that is if my local store actually has them. I'll definitely get them used if possible. Do you think buying something like this used is a good idea though? Thanks, couldn't find that page before.

Will this be the only thing I need to connect the video and sound to the 360 or is there something else like a splitter, separated cable, etc. that I should also know about?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Manatee']Your TV probably has pc sound inputs by the pc input. Check there.[/QUOTE]

Are the sound cables that come with this just the red and yellow composite cables? If so then yes, the ports are right next to each other.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Are the sound cables that come with this just the red and yellow composite cables? If so then yes, the ports are right next to each other.[/quote]

Yes. VGA for video, red and white for audio. If your TV has those, that's great. Mine however, did not. Luckily I was running the sound through my receiver and not the TV.

Just an FYI, the retail package does include an adapter and something else of the sort

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Thanks. I'm still trying to locate a used one. If only they were still available online...[/QUOTE]

My Toys R Us had a crap ton of them on clearance pretty much every time I was in there, like 7 bucks and change, I think. I bought one for myself before I even got an HDTV to hook up with my computer monitor. Turned out to be a good idea with the limited amount of inputs I have on it.

I just have to say with my 32" LCD 720p TV HDMI, VGA looks alot better than HDMI does, HDMI the colors seem to bleed and VGA is alot brighter?

[quote name='tgk2044']My Toys R Us had a crap ton of them on clearance pretty much every time I was in there, like 7 bucks and change, I think. I bought one for myself before I even got an HDTV to hook up with my computer monitor. Turned out to be a good idea with the limited amount of inputs I have on it.[/quote]

I just went to a few places and all I could find were the Microsoft composite cables and the Monster branded HDMI. Couldn't even find a used VGA. I'm going to hope that they suddenly become restocked at GameStop.com

[quote name='samurai388']I've heard HDMI is far superior to componet cables.[/QUOTE]

You heard wrong. The picture quality is essentially identical.

[quote name='KaneRobot']You heard wrong. The picture quality is essentially identical.[/quote]

I've tried both HDMI and component with my 360 on my plasma TV and HDMI is noticeably better IMO.

bread's done
Back