Typing of the Dead: Overkill - $9.99 Steam (50% off until Nov. 1) ($8 at Green Man Gaming)

And here I thought I was going home to play Battlefield.  Totally surprised by this one.

Thanks, OP! and of course, Wario64 for the GMG discount.

They made a sequel to The Typing of the Dead?

That's the greatest news ever!
I heard there was a sequel to the original. Typing of the Dead 2 was only released in Japan. It covered House of the Dead III.

Wish Typing of the Dead: Overkill was released on PS3. I so would try to use that mini keyboard that attaches to the PS3 controller for this.

Got my hopes up that this included the original House of the Dead and not Overkill as an extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a confirmation on this one: When it says "Full and faithful port of the original PS3 edition of HOTD included in game," does it mean:

1) A port of the original HOTD arcade game?

2) A port of HOTD: Overkill?

3) 1 or 2, but only with "Typing" gameplay?

Any help would be appreciated. If the answer is (2), then it'd be a fantastic deal for $8.

A quick hunt for screen shots reveal that the bonus HOTD being referenced is Overkill.

So, it seems HOTD: Overkill comes with Typing of the Dead: Overkill, which is pretty nice. I've never played it, but having it accessible on the PC is always great.

If anyone can double-confirm that it's Overkill (Because I am nothing if not incredulous.), that'd be awesome.

I would like a confirmation on this one: When it says "Full and faithful port of the original PS3 edition of HOTD included in game," does it mean:

1) A port of the original HOTD arcade game?

2) A port of HOTD: Overkill?

3) 1 or 2, but only with "Typing" gameplay?

Any help would be appreciated. If the answer is (2), then it'd be a fantastic deal for $8.
I can't give you an exact answer but as there's virtually no real well-known lightgun accessories for PC, I have to assume the typing gameplay must be implemented.

A quick hunt for screen shots reveal that the bonus HOTD being referenced is Overkill.

So, it seems HOTD: Overkill comes with Typing of the Dead: Overkill, which is pretty nice. I've never played it, but having it accessible on the PC is always great.

If anyone can double-confirm that it's Overkill (Because I am nothing if not incredulous.), that'd be awesome.
I picked the game up and can confirm that It does, in fact, come with HOTD: Overkill. As PikaPichu mentioned, you can play it with a mouse or gamepad. HOTD:O & TOTD:O are more or less the same game, but obviously with different control schemes.

Edit: Just wanted to also note that the game is locked at 720p.

This game is mother fuck ing crazy! The system requirements are a little on the steep side though. I had to tone it down to 720p and disable AA to run it smoothly on my gaming notebook (3rd gen i7, 660m).

A pleasant Halloween surprise, I will definitely add this to my wishlist to purchase at 75% off, though it is very generous of them to offer it at 50% off at release.

A pleasant Halloween surprise, I will definitely add this to my wishlist to purchase at 75% off, though it is very generous of them to offer it at 50% off at release.
Yeah, I would have gladly bought it for $20. The old PC version typically goes for $30+ used on eBay.

Unfortunately, the Typing of the Dead is just the same levels and enemies from the base Overkill game.

Just watched the wario64 stream of this and now I'm going over to my laptop on the same day I decided to stop buying stuff on steam. Well played, Sega.

Just watched the wario64 stream of this and now I'm going over to my laptop on the same day I decided to stop buying stuff on steam. Well played, Sega.
Hah, cool!

Definitely worth the $8, though I prefer the first Typing of the Dead since I feel the pacing in that game is much faster. Which makes sense, it was an arcade game before

I never heard of this game, it looks kinda like a fun game. I'll pick it up later when its at a 75% discount.
You must be like 10 years old then, this game out for the Dreamcast and PC. Can you believe they made an arcade unit out of this in Japan?!?! I actually have this for the DC and it improved my typing skills since the Dreamcast was my introduction to the internet, I wonder if my seganet email still works. >_<

typedie2.jpg

House of the Dead Overkill was booooring, but maybe the typing will add something to the experience.

You must be like 10 years old then, this game out for the Dreamcast and PC. Can you believe they made an arcade unit out of this in Japan?!?! I actually have this for the DC and it improved my typing skills since the Dreamcast was my introduction to the internet, I wonder if my seganet email still works. >_<
I'm not 10 haha, i'm 22! But i really don't know to much about pc games, pretty new to pc gaming. I Didn't own the great Dreamcast either haha. But the game looks fun and if it can improve my typing even better.

I can't believe they made arcade units though, I need to get me one of those! Thanks for the history on the game.

This game is mother fuck ing crazy! The system requirements are a little on the steep side though. I had to tone it down to 720p and disable AA to run it smoothly on my gaming notebook (3rd gen i7, 660m).
Really? I was worried my laptop wouldn't be able to run it since it's fairly older now (about 3 years old I think) but it runs pretty damn smooth! Funny it can run this no issue but couldn't draw distances in Rayman 3. I guess this game doesn't need a 3D specific graphics card whereas Rayman did.

For those on the fence it's basically HotD Overkill (the one on the Wii and PS3). You can switch to either typing or classic HotD (with your mouse/controller). Multiplayer is not available yet, though it says it will be soon.

This can be got cheaper on either Gamefly or GMG with their respective promo codes for 20% off.

You must be like 10 years old then, this game out for the Dreamcast and PC. Can you believe they made an arcade unit out of this in Japan?!?!
Wow, nice. I wish my arcade had that back in the day. Somehow we managed to get an arcade version of Half-Life instead.

I'm excited to play this but am wondering why the original shooting mode is included. Playing a lightgun game with a mouse seems rather pointless.

I picked the game up and can confirm that It does, in fact, come with HOTD: Overkill. As PikaPichu mentioned, you can play it with a mouse or gamepad. HOTD:O & TOTD:O are more or less the same game, but obviously with different control schemes.

Edit: Just wanted to also note that the game is locked at 720p.
Is it also locked at 30 fps like the Wii and PS3 version? The old Dreamcast and PC version of the House of the Dead 2 and Typing of the Dead both ran at 60fps on the console and PC.

bread's done
Back