Ultimate DS/GBA games for Air Travel List!

craab

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Ok - this idea was brought up in the thread about feeling self-concious while playing your DS in public.
Anybody here who has to travel for work, and takes their DS along can surely add to the list.
Also, let's list games that are NOT good on a plane.
Nothing like having a hot stewardess come up and ask if you want a drink while you are trying to say
"blue" correctly in Brain Age.

I 'll start the list with my 3 favorites for planes.

1. Clubhouse Games

2. Advance Wars DS

3. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (GBA)

...bring 'em on...

1. Tetris DS
2. Wario Ware Mega Microgames

Those are the only things popping in my head right now that I always bring with me.

Trauma Center and any touch screen mini game game is pretty awful on a plane.

I never could get into Animal Crossing.
Had it for a while - then sold it. It always felt very "kiddy" to me...

Plus, I don't have enough time in my real life to be wasting it living a virtual life...

Maybe I should have given it a second chance...

Hotel Dusk, since it gives you a good long read while the flight is going.

Rub Rabbits might be good..

Animal Crossing and Nintendogs are probably not a good idea since they are more longterm titles.

Phoenix Wright -- very entertaining read, hard not to like
Castlevania -- great for a distracting menial task (running around an killing stuff)
Resident Evil -- another good menial task game (one big fetch quest! It'll make you really appreciate RE4, at the very least.)

hell, anything works really. except Ouendan in turbulence

[quote name='Apossum']except Ouendan in turbulence[/QUOTE]

A-fucking-men

My vote is pretty much anything that requires little to no stylus use. I personally find it annoying fumbling with the stylus periodically on a plane. GBA games are ideal for me.

Polarium Advance
Puyo Pop Advance
Tetris DS

One time I did the five hour flight to Orlando just picking weeds in Animal Crossing. I hadn't been in for months and it took all day pretty much. :lol:

[quote name='craab']Ok - this idea was brought up in the thread about feeling self-concious while playing your DS in public.[/quote]

Hey, man, thanks for the credit ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2632574&postcount=86

Anyway, Clubhouse Games and Advance Wars Duel Strike, obviously. Those both chew up large amounts of time without seeming like it (thus good for long cross-country flights). I used to dread the monthly 2 1/2 + 5 hour flights that I had to make in 2005 - until AW DS came out that is. Then I actually kind of looked forward to them because I could put serious time into the game. I didn't travel much in 2006 and I'm still saving hard stamp mode in Clubhouse Games for my next big trip.

I rule out any game that requires fine control like NSMB or Yoshi's Island, and obviously stuff like Elite Beat Agents. Slower paced games are great. I don't mind stylus control though. Microphone, however, is OUT (so, Rolento, if Rub Rabbits is anything like FTM, I'd say that's not a good choice ;)).

But really, I need a good idea for a new game to bring on my next trip. RPG's are OK, I guess, but I already beat FF III and am playing Magical Starsign now. Is Children of Mana too actiony for a plane? Spectrobes might be a good one - sounds detail-oriented but not too full of precise control. Are there any puzzle games that don't get too frantic? I actually played Meteos quite a bit on the plane too, and that worked out OK (despite requiring a bit too much fine control).

As for GBA games, The Fire Emblem games would probably be good. I have both and only got part way through the second one (on a trip needless to say).

godhatesjustyou, I actually prefer mental strain in a game for plane rides - makes them go faster. But not alot of repetitive control type games, so I would rule out Tetris and Castlevania probably has fine control issues that I don't want to mess with (bumpy plane rides, people crawling over me, carts hitting me in the feet, kids banging on my seat, etc).

Because I don't like fumbling around with my stylus I like these games because they require little to no use of it

Super Mario 64 DS, New Super Mario Bros, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl when they come to the US (April 22), all come to mind right away, I'm sure there are others (though control could become in issue in the first 2, D/P are perfect unless you are uncomfortable "catching 'em all" (I came out of the Pokemon closet and I even play competively so I don't mind if a stewardess or some random hot chick sees a Pikachu on my screen)

If you like Puzzle games, you should pick up Kuru Kuru Kurin. Very addictive. I have played it for about 5 hours that past 2 nights. Time flies. Also I really like Age of Empires for the DS. I played it a long time ago, but I don't think that had much stylus use.

Heh, I'll have to keep these games in mind, seeing as how I'm going on a trip to Italy.

It will take 16 hours total on a plane to get to and from where I'm going.

I have a lot of the games listed, but I need to get a hold of Tetris DS!

This is a good thread, I've been wondering what games would be a quick/short burst of gaming for my GBA.

I usually play some of the Classic Nes games:
Bomberman
Castlevania
Legend of Zelda
Some others would include:
Advance Wars 1/2
Gunstar Super Heroes
Castlevania Double Pak
Dr. Mario/Puzzle League

my personal picks are either of the fire emblem titles, metroid fusion or zero mission, either golden sun, magical starsign, megaman zx

pretty much any game that uses little to no stylus action, just because its sometimes hard to be so precise when you're in a plane

As others have said, Stylus stuff is out, but most others are certainly useable. I used to fly a lot when my then girlfriend/fiancee was about 1000 miles away from me. I used to play the Mario Advance games, Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, Castlevanias, all with no issues. However, even in the car Ouendan/EBA is impossible, and Feel the Magic didn't work well in the plane either.

A good memory for playing DS in an airport though. Christmas of 05, I was flying home and so was my roommate at the Seminary. His flight happened to be leaving from the gate directly across from mine. We gave our other roommate a lift to the airport too, and with his flight being a lot earlier than ours, we had a lot of time to kill. We were both just getting good at Mario Kart DS, and since we were nearby eachother, we just played GP on random courses. We played the whole game of tracks and then some while in the airport. It was a blast, but came dangerously close to burning out on it. ;) IOn the end his flight was on time and I got to get on board a flight leaving 3 hours earlier than originally planned (I was going to be in the airport a long time! ;) ). Good times :)

bread's done
Back