Under 18 years of age and need to make money

haloman21

CAGiversary!
So I need to make some money and im not 18 years old therefore I have no credit card,No bank account no real transportation. So how does someone like go about making some money. 10-16

It depends on your age. If you're at least 16, you could probably find a job. Try local supermarkets or mom-and-pop (independent, non-big chain) stores. I had a student tell me paper routes are a bit more complicated in these modern times (a car is required), so I can't recommend that job - if you want to be independent. I recommend busing at a restaurant. Simple work with tips.

Is it so hard to find work now? Here is a list of jobs/work I did before 18.
Mowed lawns
Housesat, petsat, babysat
Delivered papers
Picked fruit/berries
Washed dishes
Busser
Janitor
stock clerk

I paid for all my games, my computer, my clothes, my first car...myself.
The only thing my parents paid for from 14 on was the roof over my head and the food on the table.

sears, walmart, fast food will pretty much hire you if you can answer a few simple questions and pass a drug test.

If transportation is a big problem for you, you can try various survey websites or chacha (feel free to refer me if you decide to sign up). But realistically, you'd be making a lot less though you can work whenever you want.

Though this isn't a long term solution, you can go to a fleamarket and check if any of the people need help there. Though it tends to only be weekends.

Become a sniper. It's a good job mate. Good pay. Out of doors. I guarantee you won't go hungry.

[quote name='Paco']Become a sniper. It's a good job mate. Good pay. Out of doors. I guarantee you won't go hungry.[/quote]
Now that I think of it the DC Sniper was sorta like big boss with his plans, well the fact that he tried to make mini outer heaven in Canada.

Well i was looking to get a new graphics card but don't know what I need because I want to run crysis on very high without lag. Right now my comp cant do that so that is my goal. Also im not so sure on the body selling.

[quote name='haloman21']Well i was looking to get a new graphics card but don't know what I need because I want to run crysis on very high without lag. Right now my comp cant do that so that is my goal. Also im not so sure on the body selling.[/QUOTE]

I found your problem.

Isn't this like the third or fourth thread we've had on the "OMG I'm under 18, how do I make money?!" issue?

Kids, people start hiring at 16 for real jobs, under 16 for paid chores (yardwork, etc.). Getting a job is as simple as dressing decently and going into a business and asking if their hiring at that age (you don't need a resume or anything else too complicated).

Hell, I can guarantee that just about any 16 year old that asks for a job and brings a resume will get it, but for those of you who have yet to ever work, seriously, unless you live in a one-horse town, walk to the closest business and ask if they're hiring.

There isn't some special procedure or job selection for minors. You can't work as many hours, your boss will have to file different paperwork, but this isn't a career, a job (as opposed to a career), can be done by a minor about as easily as an adult with enough experience.

Quite simply, regardless of transportation, get your ass to a business and ask if they're hiring, but don't do it if you plan on working for a few days just long enough to buy something you want, stick to "no commitment" chores in your neighborhood if you plan on doing that.

~HotShotX

How old are you? Your name is haloman21, you play Crysis and the age group you gave was 10-16...

....And Pokeplushies

[quote name='naes']How old are you? Your name is haloman21, you play Crysis and the age group you gave was 10-16...

....And Pokeplushies[/quote]
I play plenty of mature games that make you question this

First job I ever had was at 14 and it was a paper route. At 16 I worked at a mall kiosk.

Mowing lawns would be good also, provided you don't have allergies. Maybe you could walk dogs for people in your neighborhood?

[quote name='haloman21']I play plenty of mature games that make you question this[/quote]

Stop posting. Right now. Completely.

I'm dead serious.

Figure out how to profit from using leverage. I rented out my dreamcast for $20 for 3 days. Most of my friends didn't have it and couldn't justify it to their parents but they did get allowances. The dreamcast ended up paying for itself in a year. You can try starting a mowing business. Hire local kids to do the work at $5/hr & charge the client $7. Local kids get money, you get money, client gets lawn mowed. Everybody wins. There was a little kid who couldn't afford comics just like his friends but he was a good collector, knowing what would be popular. So he opened up a comic 'rental' place in his treehouse. It was 50 cents to enter but you could read as many comics as you wanted, provided you took good care of it. The comics cost $1.25 but he didn't have to replace too many comics from wear & tear as all the neighborhood kids kept coming back every week. He even made enough money that he helped his little sister open a lemonade stand next to the tree by paying for the table, lemonade, markers & construction board for the sign. He said, as long as he got 40% of the profits, she could keep the rest. In each of these instances, you'll notice that the person the 'business' revolves around does very little physical labor. Rather, he leverages other peoples' labor and/or money to generate the money he needs.

Find something simple that people are too busy to do & wouldn't be too expensive to create/develop. Then create a business around it where both you, as the business owner, and the employees benefit. It doesn't even have to be a long term business, just enough to get what you want.

[quote name='haloman21']But getting the crack is gonna be a pain in the ass no?[/quote]

Problem isn't getting it in your ass, its getting it back out.

[quote name='georox']Problem isn't getting it in your ass, its getting it back out.[/quote]
Thus my point in getting the crack is gonna be a huge pain.

I remember reading a while back someone saying that he sold a web design for 600 bucks. Im wondering if there is a solid market in selling web designs so I could make some money stick it in my pay pal account and then buy a new graphics card off of new egg or something.Also is making a web design/layout terribly hard? For example am i going to make a web design worth 600Bucks for 3 weeks or 3 days? Because if it takes less then a week to make something worth a few hundred dollars I think doing that would be better then working at the gas station 20 minutes away from my house. Hell I doubt they are hiring and there is no way in hell that i am walking an hour and a half to get to my nearest target.

[quote name='georox']Problem isn't getting it in your ass, its getting it back out.[/quote]

There you go! He could be a drug mule. All you have to do is swallow condoms, ride on a plane, shit them out, then head back home. If they catch you at airport security just say the magic words: "THAT SHIT AIN'T MINE!"

[quote name='haloman21']I remember reading a while back someone saying that he sold a web design for 600 bucks. Im wondering if there is a solid market in selling web designs so I could make some money stick it in my pay pal account and then buy a new graphics card off of new egg or something.[/quote]

Back in the day, yes, but that was before the internet bubble burst. At that time all you really had to have was a semi-professional attitude, the ability to stick to schedules, and the ability to make some nice looking sites in HTML (or DHTML or XML, if we're talking late 90's instead of mid-90's). If you could make a good site by using tables instead of frames you were pretty much golden to most people.

Then again, those days were different. Ad revenues were nuts, a teen could charge $80 an hour to create a full website (bonus points for using pre-made CGI scripts and Java Scripts to save time and yet add bells and whistles). Nowadays, I'm not sure of the rates and whatnot, but I'm fairly certain that what passed for "great" back then will even get you $10 total right now.

[quote name='haloman21']Also is making a web design/layout terribly hard? For example am i going to make a web design worth 600Bucks for 3 weeks or 3 days?[/quote]

If you've never dabbled in HTML before there are plenty of great old resources online but you have to do plenty of experimenting. You could just fake it with Dreamweaver but while WYSIWYGs ("What You See is What You Get" / Website-Making Programs) were taboo in the past it could be the same way now when it comes to functionality. Honestly, I doubt you'll make $600 in 3 weeks on websites alone. HTML is easy to learn but there are plenty of times where it can be a pain in the ass to get it to do what you want. ;)

[quote name='haloman21']Because if it takes less then a week to make something worth a few hundred dollars I think doing that would be better then working at the gas station 20 minutes away from my house. Hell I doubt they are hiring and there is no way in hell that i am walking an hour and a half to get to my nearest target.[/quote]

Nah, you more than likely won't see that amount of cash for an effort like this. You could make personal websites for people, but that usually results in far less money and far more stipulations from people over negligible things ("I'm not going to pay you one cent until you add in these 57 links and a dancing baby!"). Business websites offer a lot more money but unless it's a start-up they're going to want a professional look, and that usually requires programming skills and some experience with Photoshop or some other image app.

Saying you're going to learn HTML because your friend sold a website for $600 is like saying you're going to learn to play the violin because your friend in the New York Philharmonic makes $125,000/yr (their salaries actually are somewhere around here, it's crazy). $600 for a website would require the developer to be either extremely creative, extremely experienced, or both. You can't just get up and make such a site. And even if you were extremely experienced/creative, I bet the time spent on such a site would still end up averaging $10 - $15/hr tops. Web development pays shit.

Also, why the hell would you walk an hour and a half to work? Get a bike you freewheeling bum. If it's an hour and a half walk then it should only be about a 15 min bike ride. If you're not willing to bike 15 min then you don't deserve a job.

[quote name='jaykrue']Figure out how to profit from using leverage. I rented out my dreamcast for $20 for 3 days. Most of my friends didn't have it and couldn't justify it to their parents but they did get allowances. The dreamcast ended up paying for itself in a year. You can try starting a mowing business. Hire local kids to do the work at $5/hr & charge the client $7. Local kids get money, you get money, client gets lawn mowed. Everybody wins. There was a little kid who couldn't afford comics just like his friends but he was a good collector, knowing what would be popular. So he opened up a comic 'rental' place in his treehouse. It was 50 cents to enter but you could read as many comics as you wanted, provided you took good care of it. The comics cost $1.25 but he didn't have to replace too many comics from wear & tear as all the neighborhood kids kept coming back every week. He even made enough money that he helped his little sister open a lemonade stand next to the tree by paying for the table, lemonade, markers & construction board for the sign. He said, as long as he got 40% of the profits, she could keep the rest. In each of these instances, you'll notice that the person the 'business' revolves around does very little physical labor. Rather, he leverages other peoples' labor and/or money to generate the money he needs.

Find something simple that people are too busy to do & wouldn't be too expensive to create/develop. Then create a business around it where both you, as the business owner, and the employees benefit. It doesn't even have to be a long term business, just enough to get what you want.[/quote]
That is a good story.

[quote name='cindersphere']That is a good story.[/quote]

Well, I hope the story gives the OP ideas. My post was meant to get his synapses firing and dreaming up other ideas that even I haven't thought of yet, not just tell a good parable. :lol: Seriously, if anyone wants to make money, entrepreneurship is the way to go. It teaches discipline, hard work, & most of all, creativity. It's the enterprising young mind that goes on to be the Warren Buffetts & Bill Gates of the world. Everyone else, they just work for them.

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, I hope the story gives the OP ideas. My post was meant to get his synapses firing and dreaming up other ideas that even I haven't thought of yet, not just tell a good parable. :lol: Seriously, if anyone wants to make money, entrepreneurship is the way to go. It teaches discipline, hard work, & most of all, creativity. It's the enterprising young mind that goes on to be the Warren Buffetts & Bill Gates of the world. Everyone else, they just work for them.[/quote]
True words but most people are lazy sob's.

When i was thirteen(2 years ago) i worked at a local pizzeria for 3 months, now i resell video games on ebay and what not. but now when i look at my cag name it sounds so bad i wish i could change it, i made it when i was like 12.

[quote name='haloman21']Illinois and 14[/quote]
Perfect. I'm currently doing a job called "pollinating" in a corn field for Pioneer and I know they hire people as young as you. Living in Illlinois (unless you live in the Chicago area) means there should be plenty of job openings in corn fields near you. They are always looking to hire more people in this sort of thing so as long as you show up you're guaranteed the job. It's not the easiest job out there but it sounds like you aren't in a position to be picky.

Also, you might want to hurry up and apply for this because the hiring process near me ended recently but it might still be going on near you.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Perfect. I'm currently doing a job called "pollinating" in a corn field for Pioneer and I know they hire people as young as you. Living in Illlinois (unless you live in the Chicago area) means there should be plenty of job openings in corn fields near you. They are always looking to hire more people in this sort of thing so as long as you show up you're guaranteed the job. It's not the easiest job out there but it sounds like you aren't in a position to be picky.

Also, you might want to hurry up and apply for this because the hiring process near me ended recently but it might still be going on near you.[/quote]
Corn fields aren't my thing and I kind of live in chicago area.

Corn fields aren't anyone's "thing". Nobody likes the heat and getting corn rash but it gives you a lot of hours in a short amount of time (quick money). I hate to break it to you but you probably aren't going to find the perfect job if you're only 14.

[quote name='konamifan2002']Buy/sell games. I got started at 12 riding the bus to pawn shops and buying low and selling high. Im doing quite well at it today still![/quote]

that's what i do sometimes, but i dont always buy a game solely to sell it unless i know i can get a nice amount of cash

Why are you guys still bothering with this thread? He's just some lazy kid who wants free money. He doesn't want to actually work for it. And the only reason he wants money is because he doesn't have a $700 graphics card. Anyone who actually tries to 'help' this kid by suggesting he work, when he's made it clear he's a lazy prick, is part of the problem. If he's not willing to work hard for whatever he can get, just let him go without his top of the line electronics. I know it's sad, but try to cope.

bread's done
Back