Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition (PS3) Available for Preorder 29.99

chimpmeister

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Heads up for fans of great shmups, Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition (PS3 only as of right now) is available for preorder from:

Amazon (29.99):

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Defeat-...8&qid=1346873027&sr=1-1&keywords=under+defeat

Newegg (29.99) (DISCONTINUED: probably won't ever be shipped from Newegg, now an Amazon exclusive):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879797001

This was recently listed as an Amazon exclusive, and the XBox 360 EU retail version is region-locked; so no North American version for 360 at this time. If you like shmups and want to support Rising Star Games in their North American releases of great shmups (like Akai Katana which was also recently released), please preorder this game!

Sorry that this is not technically a "deal", but its always a big deal when a great shmup is localized for North America.

Screenshots:

2rp8vwk.jpg

10qkosp.jpg

6j3xmo.jpg

54srdi.jpg

pbwn5.jpg

i3b7kj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hmm...seems Gamestop isn't carrying this. I don't see a pre-order option or the game listed at all on their website. Might have to go through Amazon. Still prefer brick and mortar, but what can you do.[/QUOTE]

Only Amazon and Newegg so far for this release; which in the long run COULD make it rarer, but who knows.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Hmm...seems Gamestop isn't carrying this. I don't see a pre-order option or the game listed at all on their website. Might have to go through Amazon. Still prefer brick and mortar, but what can you do.[/QUOTE]

Strange that a video game store isn't carrying a video game

*welp I already own the limited edition for the PS3 in Japanese since i never figure it'd come here stateside due to g-rev being such a small developer. Serves me right for taking the gamble and spending $120 on a LE X_X

That and the mention that there probably won't be a 360 retail release stateside I might have to pass on double dipping. Though if rising star does decide to do a stateside release for the 360 I dunno if I should sell my limited edition japanese copy.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Completely forgot about the soundtrack and the digital artbook in the HD version. I'll take a sticker, a code for a PS3 theme, and/or a code for DLC if there is going to be any.[/QUOTE]

True, but hey that's just bonus for a genre that is already very niche in these parts!

[quote name='RollingSkull']Burned out on paying high prices more like it. Shumps are a slow burn. If you like them, they'll last a while and hold many replays. To me, there's just no fierce urgency of buying new ones when I can revisit the classics to hold me over until a price drop. Would I like to see more? Yes, but I don't see any value in playing quixotic charity case to "support the developers." I'm just one consumer and as much as I'd like to see more games, I also value seeing more cheaper games.

And yeah, I'm complaining about overpaying, but I'm still choosing to overpay. My jadedness is oversold.[/QUOTE]
I agree with RollingSkull, this game is not going to sell out by any means and will likely drop in price in a few months after its release as the demand for these types of games just dont compare to any other... hell, I'd be surprised if this game outsells games like Petshop games on the ds.

[quote name='chunlirocks']Strange that a video game store isn't carrying a video game[/QUOTE]
Me too, I actually have some gamestop credit to burn through.

[quote name='Thrinn']According to the PS Blog the MSRP has been reduced to $29.99.[/QUOTE]

damn, this game looks awesome! I really hope gamers out there support this title and Rising Star games for bringing it stateside. :)

[quote name='Lucian']Hmmmm. I wonder how Newegg will handle this...[/QUOTE]

They won't. They don't do price guarantees like Amazon unfortunately. You'll get it for $30 even with the discount code.

[quote name='Thrinn']According to the PS Blog the MSRP has been reduced to $29.99.[/QUOTE]

Pretty bummed about the fact that it's just a digital art book. I guess the lower price makes up for it.

[quote name='Nochance']So i'm confused, is there anything that makes this an LE, or is there just no regular edition?[/QUOTE]

Rising Star has done this before. The DoDonPachi "deluxe" edition has been the only edition available in Europe since its release, for example.

[quote name='keine']Rising Star has done this before. The DoDonPachi "deluxe" edition has been the only edition available in Europe since its release, for example.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I kinda figured since the Amazon page shows nothing that would classify this as an LE.

I hate to sound like a douche, but i'm waiting for a price drop. Even $20 is kinda pushing it but that's my price point if they are going to pretend this is an LE.

[quote name='Nochance']So i'm confused, is there anything that makes this an LE, or is there just no regular edition?[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that it's a "Deluxe Edition" in the sense that it has DLC that wasn't included with the "Standard Edition" released in Japan earlier this year. It'd be a subtle difference but something Rising Star wants to draw attention to.

[quote name='Nochance']I hate to sound like a douche, but i'm waiting for a price drop. Even $20 is kinda pushing it but that's my price point if they are going to pretend this is an LE.[/QUOTE]Nothing to be ashamed of, this is Cheap Ass Gamer after all. :) I finally got around to playing Akai Katana, another game published here by RSG. The first time I played score attack I placed in the top 250 on the leaderboard, and it wasn't because I had an amazing game or anything, I barely understood how the scoring system worked. They can't be moving a whole lot of copies with these shmups, the market for them must be incredibly small in the States. This'll be one of the few times I'll buy a game right at release to support their effort.

[quote name='Serpentor']Isn't it cheaper using Newegg's $10 promotion? Just checked my Newegg order status, I got it for $29.99...[/QUOTE]

It's still listed at 39.99 on both Amazon and Newegg, so as of right now 29.99 is a better price (I have it preordered at that price too, from Newegg with the promo code). Looking forward to this game, we're lucky to have it released in North America!!!

Any new promos to get $10 off? I finally got word that is new job is a go and I had to hold off until I knew if was finalized before doing a pre-order for this. And as I see the offer is now expired.

So I'd appreciate any help otherwise I'll be waiting for an eventual discount (sadly, as I'd like to support the release) but I'm not paying $40 for a game I already own on the DC already just to have it on PS3, $30 yes, full price no. :booty:

[quote name='uncle5555']Any new promos to get $10 off? I finally got word that is new job is a go and I had to hold off until I knew if was finalized before doing a pre-order for this. And as I see the offer is now expired.

So I'd appreciate any help otherwise I'll be waiting for an eventual discount (sadly, as I'd like to support the release) but I'm not paying $40 for a game I already own on the DC already just to have it on PS3, $30 yes, full price no. :booty:[/QUOTE]

MSRP is $30 but it was only announced a day or so ago. Give it a few days and New Egg and Amazon will adjust the price accordingly.

Crazy, I used to own the DC deluxe version that went for $150-200 on Ebay. Im amazed this got localized!

[quote name='Thrinn']The price has been updated on Amazon to 29.99.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Thrinn! Updated OP thread title with new price (Amazon only right now, Newegg is still 39.99) and added screenshots of Under Defeat HD as well. Got this preordered from NewEgg for $30 anyway with a $10 off code, I doubt Newegg will bump it lower, but thats OK. I really want to support RSG on this release, and $30 is a great price for this game!

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']I've never played this. Just seems like an $8 psn title. What makes it different from other shoot em ups?[/QUOTE]

The retail package also includes an art book, soundtrack, and all the DLC produced since the game's Japanese release. It's going to be a $30 PSN title, too.

[quote name='Thrinn']The retail package also includes an art book, soundtrack, and all the DLC produced since the game's Japanese release. It's going to be a $30 PSN title, too.[/QUOTE]

What's special about the game itself tho?

Will this be something you can turn a profit on then?

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']Will this be something you can turn a profit on then?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']What's special about the game itself tho?

Will this be something you can turn a profit on then?[/QUOTE]

Unlikely. It looks like the art book is going to be a pamphlet inside the regular PS3 case along with the soundtrack. It's nice they are including these items for the price, but it's hardly an elaborate collector's edition.

[quote name='keine']The art book will be digital... Whatever that means?[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like what Raiden IV did then it could just be a link to a .pdf file for you to download.

[quote name='sidewalkhustla']What's special about the game itself tho?

Will this be something you can turn a profit on then?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chunlirocks']Product Features

The most requested remake in G.rev?s library

Regarded within the shmup community as one of the all-time classic games

The original Dreamcast version pushed the console to the limit, becoming one of its best selling games

Both game and developer have a great reputation within the large shmup community

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TQfraqrwo[/QUOTE]

I think chunlirocks answered your question quite well. However, even though shmups in North America may drop low in price at some point (like Akai Katana), they sometimes come way back up. Raiden Fighters Aces and Raiden IV are a few great examples; I bought these as low as $12.50, but both are way back up on Ebay (brand new sealed). No way to know about Under Defeat, but most people buy it to support he developers and enjoy the game. Maybe an extra copy or two for collectability doesn't hurt. ;)

[quote name='chimpmeister']I think chunlirocks answered your question quite well. However, even though shmups in North America may drop low in price at some point (like Akai Katana), they sometimes come way back up. Raiden Fighters Aces and Raiden IV are a few great examples; I bought these as low as $12.50, but both are way back up on Ebay (brand new sealed). No way to know about Under Defeat, but most people buy it to support he developers and enjoy the game. Maybe an extra copy or two for collectability doesn't hurt. ;)[/QUOTE]

And any of the DC shmups, kept their price or went way up, even 2nd tier stuff like Trizeal, Border Down is still fairly expensive (last time I checked) and some of the CPS2 shmups from Capcom go for crazy prices as well.

There is a strong shmup community in the US that buy pretty much anything and the main thing that stops casual buyers from getting on board is the prices at launch. (edit: just looked at the comments at the PS Blog and I was right on the money, biggest gripe right now is price, one guy even went as far as calling it a CASUAL game, rolf, wtf, it's so far from that it's not even funny, whadda idiot)

Speaking of which....

[quote name='bojay1997']MSRP is $30 but it was only announced a day or so ago. Give it a few days and New Egg and Amazon will adjust the price accordingly.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Seems like my procrastination paid off, plus when they had the sale, I didn't have any money, so off to Amazon now to pre-order my copy at the price I was looking for. ;)

[quote name='uncle5555']And any of the DC shmups, kept their price or went way up, even 2nd tier stuff like Trizeal, Border Down is still fairly expensive (last time I checked) and some of the CPS2 shmups from Capcom go for crazy prices as well.

There is a strong shmup community in the US that buy pretty much anything and the main thing that stops casual buyers from getting on board is the prices at launch. (edit: just looked at the comments at the PS Blog and I was right on the money, biggest gripe right now is price, one guy even went as far as calling it a CASUAL game, rolf, wtf, it's so far from that it's not even funny, whadda idiot)

Speaking of which....

:lol:

Seems like my procrastination paid off, plus when they had the sale, I didn't have any money, so off to Amazon now to pre-order my copy at the price I was looking for. ;)[/QUOTE]

$30 is a fantastic price for this game. Speaking of which, Newegg just lowered their price to 29.99 as well, will update OP. Looking forward to this highly rated shmup in N.A.! (Now where is the 360 version?!?! :cry:)

Newegg lowered price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&isNodeId=1&Description=under+defeat&x=0&y=0

[quote name='chimpmeister']$30 is a fantastic price for this game. Speaking of which, Newegg just lowered their price to 29.99 as well, will update OP. Looking forward to this highly rated shmup in N.A.! (Now where is the 360 version?!?! :cry:)

Newegg lowered price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&isNodeId=1&Description=under+defeat&x=0&y=0[/QUOTE]

Anybody know if this means that Newegg will drop the price for previously made pre-orders? I pre-ordered it when it was $39.99.

[quote name='josekortez']Anybody know if this means that Newegg will drop the price for previously made pre-orders? I pre-ordered it when it was $39.99.[/QUOTE]

Generally you need to cancel and reorder since NewEgg doesn't seem to automatically update their pricing on existing orders.

I've been waiting for Newegg to adjust their price in order to avoid Amazon's taxation. :D

Thanks OP. In 4 one

[quote name='josekortez']Anybody know if this means that Newegg will drop the price for previously made pre-orders? I pre-ordered it when it was $39.99.[/QUOTE]

As bojay1997 said, I think you need to cancel and preorder. See this link:

http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/193/kw/preorder price guarantee

EDIT: LordVila stated that NewEgg WILL adjust your price according to their "Low Price Guarantee", so you should be OK. I think they should have clarified this in the FAQ about "price guarantee", its a little confusing.

I think there is a difference between a price match/price guarantee and a Low Price Guarantee. Taken from the Under Defeat page on Newegg:

Low Price Guarantee
Newegg will monitor your purchase for any price decreases and will honor the final Sales Order price of the item if it is lower than the price at pre-order. Newegg will not honor any other lower amount before that time.

FYI, I've looked around a bit, and it seems that Under Defeat HD (PS3) may be an Amazon exclusive. Even though I preordered a copy from Newegg, it never shipped, and it now shows "DISCONTINUED" on their website:

Gamestop does not carry this game, nor do Best Buy or WalMart. Amazon has plenty in stock, and I have one coming from there anyway. But if you ordered from Newegg, it doesn't look good.

Also, if only Amazon ever carries it, there is a possibility it will be a bit more rare. Not widely distributed, no brick & mortar, and we're not sure what quantity was printed.

My copy from Amazon is in transit, I expect it in the next day or two. Anyone who gets theirs, please post your impressions.

EDIT: XBox 360 version is out in EU, and its region-locked; won't play on N.A. 360s. :cry:

[quote name='chimpmeister']FYI, I've looked around a bit, and it seems that Under Defeat HD (PS3) may be an Amazon exclusive. Even though I preordered a copy from Newegg, it never shipped, and it now shows "DISCONTINUED" on their website:

Gamestop does not carry this game, nor do Best Buy or WalMart. Amazon has plenty in stock, and I have one coming from there anyway. But if you ordered from Newegg, it doesn't look good.

Also, if only Amazon ever carries it, there is a possibility it will be a bit more rare. Not widely distributed, no brick & mortar, and we're not sure what quantity was printed.

My copy from Amazon is in transit, I expect it in the next day or two. Anyone who gets theirs, please post your impressions.

EDIT: XBox 360 version is out in EU, and its region-locked; won't play on N.A. 360s. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I got my copy from Amazon last week. I pushed it in front of the backlog since I've never played the series. I'm loving this game there are some slow downs in gameplay but I can look past them. Glad I picked up this series cause shoot em ups are one of my favorites.

Also looks like an easy platinum just requires 6 playthroughs with other trophies you will get from playing.

[quote name='Bumslie']I got my copy from Amazon last week. I pushed it in front of the backlog since I've never played the series. I'm loving this game there are some slow downs in gameplay but I can look past them. Glad I picked up this series cause shoot em ups are one of my favorites.

Also looks like an easy platinum just requires 6 playthroughs with other trophies you will get from playing.[/QUOTE]I also got mine, last week, and fired it up this morning and had a lot of fun with it. I'll be back on tonight to blow more stuff up. :bouncy:

I just looked and Deep Discount also have it for sale even though Yen Hau posted that it is exclusively available through Amazon. You can see the post, from the US PS Blog, here.

[quote name='refusedchaos']Yea I am getting worried also that my Newegg preorders will never be fullfilled[/QUOTE]

They were cancelled awhile ago

AMAZON EXCLUSIVE, all you Newegg people will be cancelled...

UNDER DEFEAT HD: DELUXE EDITION NOW AVAILABLE FOR PLAYSTATION®3 EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH AMAZON

by Rising Star Games USA on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 3:17pm ·

Digital Version Available on December 4 via PlayStation®Network

LOS ANGELES - Nov. 27, 2012 - Rising Star Games Inc. today announced that the classic shmup (shoot 'em up) arcade game Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition is now available for PlayStation®3 exclusively through Amazon for $29.99. Players looking to get their hands on the digital version via PlayStation®Network can do so on December 4.

Developed by Japanese arcade video game company G.Rev, Under Defeat is widely regarded as one of the best-selling and finest shooting games ever made. Set in an alternate universe during a World War-esque conflict, Under Defeat HD lets players take on the role of a helicopter pilot in a territory divided by struggle between the Empire and the Union.

Under Defeat HD builds off of the classic arcade version with a new set of upgrades and modes. Some of the new features include: dual stick compatibility and destructive realism, which presents a refined iteration of the original with improved artwork, textures and shadowing. In addition, the game includes two engaging player modes: the Classic Arcade Mode and a 16:9 New Order Mode, which takes advantage of HD TV screens -- showcasing high quality graphics through the PS3. Moreover, practice versions of both modes will also be available to players looking to refine their shooting skills.

In addition to the full game, the Amazon Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition exclusive includes:

• Digital art book
  • All current DLC and patches
  • Soundtrack CD
  • Exclusive VKL6.02(A)P Chopper
To order the retail version of Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition, visit the Amazon Store below:
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Defeat-Deluxe-Edition-Playstation-3/dp/B0093FMS3U

That said.....this game is awesome grab a Amazon or PSN DD copy and enjoy!

This game is awesome. I own the Dreamcast import, and the import PS3 limited edition, but just ordered the US version from Amazon to support the publisher.

Just a heads up that the max quantity Amazon is allowing me to add to my cart right now is 47 - so supplies may be running out! Then again they may have a ton more on the way - considering it's an exclusive though, it's very possible Amazon received the full shipment up-front.

Either way, if you're interested in a copy you might want to order soon to be safe. :)

It let me add 999...

I am curious what the print run on this was being a 1 retailer exclusive for a small niche community here in the US. I know people will usually come into shmup threads and say wait a few months it'll be half price or more but honestly if you enjoy these games and want more buy day 1 to support the developers...

I may order a few to give as Christmas gifts to gamer friends as they always ask wtf some of these games are on my tag but never see them try it... Already got a couple $15 Akai Katanas for this same reason and honestly that game is more newbie friendly while still brilliant.

bread's done
Back