Unofficial CAG Flipping Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixAZ

CAGiversary!
Welcome to the Unofficial CAG Flipping Thread

With all due respect to the other flipping threads in this section, I will defer to their "Official" status, but welcome a merger of combined efforts.

This thread’s primary purpose is to discuss opportunities that exist through all of the various brick and mortar (B&M) and online retailers and how a profitable flip can be made to a service that buys or trades video games. I have started a list on Google Spreadsheet and everyone will have rights to update any deals that they are aware of. You can also post the deals in this thread and I can update the spreadsheet.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tsHgKSubnrP1Mi3NBCWr-bw&output=html (view only)
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnlohdhGLjIedHNIZ0tTdWJuclAxTWkzTkJDV3ItYnc&hl=en (edit version)

The basic information (console, game title, buy/sell location and prices) are the most important and I can copy the formulas doing the rest of the calculations. I've indicated the fields on the spreadsheet in blue that are minimum requirements to add to the spreadsheet.

PLEASE READ THE DETAILS AND FAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.

FAQ (Updated 9/6/09)
Can I post question on this thread?
Only if you can't find the answer from below. :lol: And please let me know if it needs to be added to FAQ.

What is flipping?
When you purchase a game or games from one retailer with the intention to sell it to another service for a profit.

What if the deal is regional or store specific?
Do not post any deals that are YMMV, typical to Best Buy manager specials or Walmart clearances which can vary from store to store.. Target, Kmart, Toys 'R Us, and Sears clearances are included as they are done corporate wide and only varying based on the schedule from store to store. Deals of the Day (Amazon) will not be included on the spreadsheet but can be discussed in this thread.

What counts as a flip?
Anything that is at least a break even, i.e. pay $5 and get $5, will be included for purposes of credit transfers and other uses.

Do the flips include sales tax or shipping costs?
No, you will need to determine that cost for your specific situation.

Am I allowed to add a flip to the spreadsheet?
Yes, you have permission, but it is tracked by sign-in (required) and version control can roll back to previous versions if the data is corrupted.

Are both cash and credit flips included?
Yes, if there is an option for either credit and/or cash at the service buying/trading the games then both amounts will be given.

Are promotional discounts figured in?
Constant promotional discounts, i.e. ECA for Amazon purchases, Edge for GameStop, MVP for GameCrazy, are factored into the buy and sell prices appropriately. If you do not already have these discounts, then you will need to adjust the pricing in your own records.

What are the abbreviations?
BBV = Blockbuster Video
GS = GameStop
GC = GameCrazy
TRU = Toys 'R Us
HWV = Hollywood Video (non-GameCrazy)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='the_punisher']In the deals section? Really?[/QUOTE]
Suggest a more apt one then?
cagus.smile.jpg

[quote name='Scorch']This won't end well.
[/QUOTE]

Lol even before coming into this thread I already knew I was going to post "This isn't going to end well".

Apparently you beat me to it!

It's a consolidation of all deals that can result in a profitable flip. The fact that you can buy Rock Revolution from GS for $4 is not a deal, nor is the fact that you can sell it to BBV for $4. The combined actions are the deal.

I am not going to defend the thread beyond that, hopefully those who are interested will participate.

Last edited by a moderator:
So then you can ignore the thread and shut the hell up about it. Damn. Do people post to bitch about things simply to up their post count or something. I have never understood it. Let the mods decide what they will or won't allow.

Thanks for your work converse. If you get J7'ed, I would like updates of your list please.

I can see why people complain about this sort of stuff, but I also would like to seethe info here. Dont close the thread, just move it if it needs to be.

[quote name='Estebon']Damn. Do people post to bitch about things simply to up their post count or something.[/QUOTE]

ME WANT UP MY POST KOUNT!

ME COMPLAIN THIS R IN RONG SEKTION! FLIP BAD, ZOMGZWTFBBQPARTY!

But to be fair, the thread is done very well, so it could be worse. Personally I'm not a big fan of flipping threads, though it may or may not help keep most of the people in actual deal threads asking about flips (which I hate), but very doubtful. My only issue with this is, people who starts these threads normally should be people who are consistently active and is willing to do the work to keep it updated. So far so good, but not sure if the op will be on enough to keep things updated all the time. Only time will tell, assuming this thread stays or doesn't get moved. Good job and good luck.

OMG Converse, run! The Flip Mafia from the Deal Discussion and Bragging Rights thread will be here any minute ... their shadow cartel will kill your family and rape your dog for crossing into the territory of their secret, members only cult of flipping.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I can see why people complain about this sort of stuff, but I also would like to seethe info here. Dont close the thread, just move it if it needs to be.[/QUOTE]

QFT

The info in here is presented well and I would love for this thread to remain alive and active.

Very nice effort, OP :)

I don't have much use for this but I really like what you've done here. Respect.

Not only is this the wrong section, but by keeping this in the main section the hordes of CAG lurkers and SD trash will kill deals before most people get a chance to jump in. As others have mentioned, I think a move to the bragging rights section is appropriate.

Nice work on the OP though, its always nice when people put forth an effort :)

[quote name='rmb']otherwise known as the blockbuster deals thread[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I'm not saying I know all. The flips I have been focusing on are related to the BBV B1G1 sale going on right now. If you saw my list a couple of weeks ago it would have been all Hollywood Video deals.

I had a number of TRU, Kmart, and Target flips the past couple of weeks but they dried up in my area, so I had taken them off my list. Obviously in a public forum that won't be a practice.

That spreadsheet is pretty messy as far as no console/title alphabetical order. I can't even imagine what it will look like six months from now.

[quote name='Kerig']That spreadsheet is pretty messy as far as no console/title alphabetical order. I can't even imagine what it will look like six months from now.[/QUOTE]

The spreadsheet, like most spreadsheets, is sortable, giving greater interactivity and flexibility for your own personal use. I personally like to have it sorted by the highest flip ratio, but you are free to sort it however you like.

If there were macros, I would make it more user friendly in that regard with buttons for specific sorting, but this is what we have to deal with right now.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Not only is this the wrong section, but by keeping this in the main section the hordes of CAG lurkers and SD trash will kill deals before most people get a chance to jump in. As others have mentioned, I think a move to the bragging rights section is appropriate.

Nice work on the OP though, its always nice when people put forth an effort :)[/QUOTE]

This seems to be a valid point to me. If for no other reason than this it may be a good idea to move this thread.
The effort to organize this is appreciated, OP.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of a dedicated flipping thread, but perhaps for a different reason from many peoples' objections. I dislike it because it makes the info that much easier to copy to other forums, and thereby makes the flips die much, much faster (the same effect is true of deals generally). Needing to dig around in threads requires much more effort, and, IMO, that is a good thing in this instance.

I leave the debate as to whether this is the appropriate forum to others. Though I applaud the OP's effort, I won't be contributing to it for the reason stated above.

[quote name='confoosious']This thread will kill good flips.

File under Counterproductive.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Making flips easy to find will have the perverse effect that even fewer CAGs will get in on them. There were already one or two instances over the summer where Slickdeals members killed off prominent flips (such as Riddick 360) within minutes because they were highlighted as such here on CAG.

I think all flippers should really just burn to death, I dunno mabye I should just join the gang and lose my morality.

HOWEVER, that is all besides the point. Several people have made good points already, (A) leaving it on this forum will only encourage more people to take advantage of it, thus leaving MANY other CAG's out in the cold. (B) You know some other lurkers will snatch it up and start posting it elseware. Then finally (C) As much as I do love a well planned and executed post, bundling these under deals may be inappropriate, because while you may be talking about a deal to get a game, your really looking at where you can sell it for a profit.

I was against this thread at first glance but Wampa makes a good point, it will probably just end up killing good flips quicker. Thus hurting the very flippers I've come to despise.

Good job op:applause:

This isn't a specific video game deal, so it belongs in Deal Discussions.

It may end up elsewhere, depending on what people do in this thread, and that elsewhere would be thread deletion.

It's a nice idea but I already see a couple of inconsistencies/errors on the spreadsheet. I picked up Onechanbara for the Wii from BBV yesterday. It was marked @ 9.99, the 360 version was 14.99. Also, you have Legends of Wrestlemania for the PS3 @ Target listed under two different deals but the Target price is 9.98 on one and 12.48 on another. Like someone else said, this is going to be a bitch of a task to keep up. I also think it should be moved to another section.

[quote name='mitch079']It's a nice idea but I already see a couple of inconsistencies/errors on the spreadsheet. I picked up Onechanbara for the Wii from BBV yesterday. It was marked @ 9.99, the 360 version was 14.99. Also, you have Legends of Wrestlemania for the PS3 @ Target listed under two different deals but the Target price is 9.98 on one and 12.48 on another. Like someone else said, this is going to be a bitch of a task to keep up. I also think it should be moved to another section.[/QUOTE]

And that's why he allowed people to edit it.

Looks like some nice flips. I'll have to check out BBV for any of these games.

I have the list regardless if anyone else uses it, it's what I use when I'm out and about and flipping because it's easy to pull up on my phone. Like all threads, it's all what the community puts into it. Hopefully there will be some people that take the secretive nature of flipping and get a little less paranoid about losing their gold mines, but at this point I've done my part and we'll see if anyone follows lead.

Thanks to the mods for placing this in the appropriate section, and I apologize for the misplacement.

[quote name='converse']I have the list regardless if anyone else uses it, it's what I use when I'm out and about and flipping because it's easy to pull up on my phone. Like all threads, it's all what the community puts into it. Hopefully there will be some people that take the secretive nature of flipping and get a little less paranoid about losing their gold mines, but at this point I've done my part and we'll see if anyone follows lead.

Thanks to the mods for placing this in the appropriate section, and I apologize for the misplacement.[/QUOTE]

But I think you're kind of missing the point here too. These kind of threads, especially when you name them the "Official" thread will depend heavily on the work you put into just as much as the work the community puts into it. Otherwise you should just rename it, "Here are my flips, how bout yours?".

It seems many people like this idea, and you did something good here, but now its really more upon you to keep it going along with all the other CAGs. I mean if you really think you have done your part and you can just leave the thread as is and never update it, then I don't see how this is the "Official" thread. I really hope that was just bad wording on your part cause this thread could have potential, but really just needs the work put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back