UPDATE: GOG.Com B1G1 Free

Kurina

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update:

Beta keys have now gone out to those who signed up before the deadline. They are going out in waves each day, so check your email often to see if you get in. Here are the specific details regarding the Buy One Get One Free promotion for those who made it in:

Promotion rules:
  • 1. You need to have signed up for the Early Access Beta between July 10 and September 7.
  • 2. You have to register an account at GOG.com with the same email address as the one you've signed up with.
  • 3. You must place your first order during the Early Access Beta, between September 8 and September 21 at 11:59pm (EDT).
  • 4. You have to love classic PC games!

After your first order is successfully completed ($$$ cha-ching! $$$), you will receive an email with the bonus code. You can redeem the bonus code on the payment screen when placing an order. Just move your cursor over the "Redeem coupon code" option, enter the code into the text field that appears and click on the "Redeem" button. Be sure to enter all symbols in the code including the dash (-) and remember that the codes are case-sensitive.
IMPORTANT: you must remember that the bonus code:
  • 1. only works if you're buying ONE game at a time (i.e. you choose download now or you only have 1 game in your shopping cart),
  • 2. is valid until September 22 at 11:59pm (EDT), 2008,
  • 3. works only with Interplay games.
New games are announced every Thursday and released on Tuesdays. Thanks to Sporadic, here is a list of currently available games listed by price.

$5.99

Conquest of the New World - strategy, turn-based, historical - 75.5 MB
Descent + Descent 2 - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 546.8 MB
Descent 3 + Expansion - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 797.5 MB
Die by the Sword + Expansion - action, adventure, fantasy - 482.2 MB
Earthworm Jim 3D - action, adventure, platformer - 136.3 MB
Evolva - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 443.8 MB
F/A-18E Super Hornet - simulation, combat, modern - 281.1 MB
Fallout - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 505.4 MB
Fallout 2 - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 579.6 MB
Fallout Tactics - rpg, strategy, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Freespace + Expansion - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 829 MB
Freespace 2 - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 787.7 MB
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 522.5 MB
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus - rpg, strategy, historical - 669 MB
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business - strategy, turn-based, tactical - 407.8 MB
Kingpin: Life of Crime - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.1 MB
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - rpg, action, fantasy - 699.4 MB
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 - strategy, turn-based, sci-fi - 613.4 MB
MDK - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 74 MB
MDK 2 - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 219.4 MB
Messiah - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 408.5 MB

Original War - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 978.3 MB
Redneck Rampage Collection - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.6 MB
Sacrifice - strategy, action, fantasy - 562.6 MB
Shattered Steel - action, fpp, sci-fi - 474.9 MB
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 248.5 MB

Stonekeep - rpg, action, fantasy - 425.4 MB

$9.99

1nsane - racing, arcade, off-road - 474.3 MB
Colin McRae Rally 2005 - racing, arcade, rally - 2.9 GB
I.G.I 2: Covert Strike - shooter, fpp, modern - 729.6 MB
Operation Flashpoint GOTY - shooter, fpp, modern - 732.6 MB
Perimeter - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 1.3 GB
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II - strategy, real-time, tactical - 1.4 GB
Toca Race Driver 3 - racing, simulation, touring - 5.3 GB

---
Original Post:

I did a search and nothing came up, so thought I would point it out. This is my first deal so hope it's alright. :)

Good Old Games is offering to those who sign up before September 7th a chance to still sign up and get into beta. They'll be going out in chunks, but when your turn does come up, they are offering a buy one get one free deal.

The game selection seems approximately around 30 games at the moment (from what I've read), but there are a few good gems in there such as the Fallout series.

They just updated their site today with the information.

The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.com’s Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you haven’t signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action.
Anyhoo, for those looking for a trip down memory lane, I thought it was a decent deal.

Link: http://www.gog.com/en/intro

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nexen']Free source code is not the same as free game. Was the content free as well or does it still need the original content?

Quake and Duke Nukem 3D only released source code as well, iirc.[/quote]

This is true. What an annoying common misconception. Source code = the engine, not the game.

What do you guys reccomend? IDK much on the list, but i already got Fallout 1 & 2. Anything else good?

UPDATE: and wouldn't you know my luck? Servers crash before i can download either. Mother fucker.

It's maintenance.

Is there a way to open Fallout in Windows mode or if possible a double-sized original resolution? My resolution (1280x1024) does not seem to work well with it by looking at the title screen.

[quote name='pete5883']How long is an average playthrough of Fallout 1 & 2?[/QUOTE]

I reckon at least 10 hours each, and that is by speeding through the game.

I'd say Fallout 2 was significantly longer than the first one, it's probably more like 15-20 hours per playthrough, at least. Not only was the map much larger, just about every town had more quests and more buildings to go through. For $12, and it's an insane amount of gaming time between those two titles.

I'm thinking of picking up Messiah, the Jagged Alliance 2 expansion, and maybe Die by the Sword. Are they worth it?

[quote name='pete5883']So if paying with a Visa, am I forced to create a Verified by Visa account first? I'm not sure I like that.[/quote]
A lot of sites require this. It's a Visa safety feature that not all sites use but it's just added protection.

Can I get a little clarification.....I entered my email address on the main page and that's it right? I was late joining (just entered at the beginning of the week) so I'm guessing that's why I'm not getting anything via email?

Just FYI you wont lose anything by getting just one FO game. The games are connected but the plot and player character are totally different. So dont feel automatically compelled to get both because you might miss out on something. FO 2 is the gem of the series. I would not recommend Tactics.

For anyone who is a fan of story driven sandbox FPS i can easily recommend Operation Flashpoint. Toca is a really solid realistic racing sim as well but if you have a few of the newer ones you can probably let that slide. The Decent games are great as well though perhaps a bit boring by todays standards.

Funny thing about the Decent games. The origonal EULA use to state that you could make copies of the game to share with friends. Only example of that i've ever seen or probably will ever see. Back when gaming was still innocent.

I'm loving the site...I've grabbed Fallout Tactics, Freespace 2, and Kingpin so far, and I know I'll be getting Stonekeep, Operation Flashpoint, and maybe Toca or one of the other racing games soon. The downloads are speedy, and from what I can tell they're genuine about letting you do whatever the F you want to do with the setup files. They're very slickly packaged, in a single executable that makes it easy to burn it to CD or copy it across your network. The webpage and purchasing system are all very slick as well. These guys really brought their A game...now we just have to hope that they can keep getting more games to add to the site! :D

Wow. That was weird. I click on the link from the email and it redirects to the intro screen. I clicked on the link after I made the post and it takes me to the signup page. The internets are a mysterious and confusing realm.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Wait, what does verified by Vista mean? That might be a deal breaker for me because my vista is yeah.......[/QUOTE]
Visa, not Vista.

[quote name='pete5883']Visa, not Vista.[/quote]

Oh good, I guess I misread. Scared me lol.

I can get Fallout 2 and.....something now!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jscme']Am I missing something? I have my beta key, but cant find where to enter it or create a count. Anytime I click on the link http://www.gog.com/beta provided in the email I am redirected to http://www.gog.com/en/intro and cant seem to find any create account link.[/quote]
Go to 'Account Login' on the right top of the site, click 'I'm a new member...', and then click 'Continue'...

So how do you get access to the site? I've submitted my email address twice over the past week (using 2 different addresses even) and haven't received anything. Did you need to sign up by a certain timeframe to get access? The site says they're still taking apps so I'm confused.

[quote name='Stormedtrooper']So how do you get access to the site? I've submitted my email address twice over the past week (using 2 different addresses even) and haven't received anything. Did you need to sign up by a certain timeframe to get access? The site says they're still taking apps so I'm confused.[/quote]

I believe it is just a matter of time. One of the devs mentioned they had tens of thousands of applications sent in, and they are just letting people in on a daily basis in small batches. Not sure if they are going based on signups in order or just a random pool of apps each time.

[quote name='Kurina']I believe it is just a matter of time. One of the devs mentioned they had tens of thousands of applications sent in, and they are just letting people in on a daily basis in small batches. Not sure if they are going based on signups in order or just a random pool of apps each time.[/quote]

Thanx for the info, I had hoped that was the issue but seeing so many people getting in I figured that possibly I was doing something wrong. I'll just wait it out then, it's not like I don't have a few hundred other games to play in the meantime :p

[quote name='Justin42']I submitted on the last day of the promo and got my code, although there's no mention of a B1G1-- or is that just automatic?[/QUOTE]

Uh, it's all over the frontpage on GOG...

[quote name='pete5883']Ah, the places I've seen it, it was only optional.[/quote]

It won't be optional indefinitely. That's not how it works. If a site uses it they will eventually require it.

I'm guessing that licensing issues will keep Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torrent from ever showing up on GOG.

How I'd love to be proven wrong.

[quote name='Sporadic']Stonekeep and Redneck Rampage Collection are available. Both are $5.99 each.[/quote]

nice, going to see about getting at least one of those... maybe the Collection..

Bought Stonekeep yesterday. They do use DosBox for it, but man, they take care of business when it comes to configuring it for you. Pretty damn simple, which is what I like to see with this stuff. :D

Is anyone else having a problem getting back into the site today? It keeps giving me the old generic page for beta sign up (/en/intro), despite the fact that I've already signed up.

EDIT: Never mind, I just had to go to /beta and reenter my beta key so I could get back into the login screen.

STD, you need to make sure you're not clearing the cookies from GOG.com. I had that same problem, and when I set Firefox to permanently accept cookies from GOG.com, it stopped redirecting me back to the beta sign-up page.

[quote name='darkwingduck13']STD, you need to make sure you're not clearing the cookies from GOG.com. I had that same problem, and when I set Firefox to permanently accept cookies from GOG.com, it stopped redirecting me back to the beta sign-up page.[/quote]

So what is the URL to bypass the beta sign-up page? I have an account, but can't login to it at work since I can't get past that page.

http://www.gog.com/beta should get you to the page where you can enter your e-mail and the beta code they sent you. Once you sign in with that, it sets a cookie on your browser so that if you type in the base address (http://www.gog.com), you will be redirected to the "real" front page where you can log in with your account, see your games, etc etc etc. The thing is, the beta code will only get you past that page with the blank for e-mail and code a certain number of times before it expires.

What happened to me was I was having Firefox clear the cookies after every session, and so I kept having to go through that step of entering the code...and eventually, the code stopped working and I had to e-mail GOG to get them to reset it for me. It's a simple problem/fix, but if you're paranoid like me about people storing data on your PC, it can eventually force you to contact their tech support.

Unfortunately there seems to be some weird Firefox 3 bug where cookies are not being remembered, even if I have cookies set to go "until they expire", and these sites are set to allow a permanent length of time. Hopefully it will be fixed in a later release.

It affects many sites I read, including this Livejournal and this forum sometimes. Since the GOG cookie isn't supposed to expire until next year, and I never clear the cookies, I'm pretty sure it's FF just messing with me.

Updated game list. Next week they will be releasing I.G.I. 2: Covert Strike and Soldiers: Heroes of WWII both in the $9 category. Sorry for not keeping list updated as well, just returned home from being in a hotel the past week due to the hurricane.

[quote name='dacool561']got my key today, kind of regret getting Fallout 1 and 2 with the BOGO deal, kinda wish i got Stonekeep as the free game now =([/quote]

Yea, I got Fallout 2 as my free after buying Decent 3, and I'm not very impressed. I only played Fallout 2 for a little bit, but I don't see what the hype is all about yet. Maybe I just need to play longer? Oh well, if anything, I have decent 3 now.

I personally couldn't get into Fallout 1 (played it AFTER playing Baldur's Gate, which looks and controls IMO 100,000 times better). But if you're into a deep RPG, I'm sure with time you'd probably get into it.

I had trouble signing up-it claimed my passwords didn't match. Same thing whether I cut and pasted, or typed it in manually. I sent a support request to them, asking if maybe it dosen't accept certain characters in passwords or something like that.

Hopefully they'll get back to me, because I want to take advantage of this deal! I want Messiah for sure...

[quote name='DarthPuma']Gah, I can't get back into the site since my cookies delete thanks to FF. Oh well, I at least got to get my free game.[/QUOTE]

You deleted your cookies manually? Make sure gog.com isn't on your list of sites you block cookies from. If you've manually deleted their cookies, Firefox automatically adds the site whose cookies you've deleted to that list (but it's simple to remove the site from that blacklist).

Not sure why I can't create an account. The person who contacted me said to disable noscript or the like (I don't use that or any extensions), and to maybe try a simple password.

Update-Okay, yeah the problem was that Gog's login system does NOT accept passwords with special characters. That's weird/dumb/too bad since that makes your password weaker, but I just used a longer password to help compensate.

Anyway, I'm in, and I'll try buying stuff tonight. Can't wait!

[quote name='DarthPuma']Gah, I can't get back into the site since my cookies delete thanks to FF. Oh well, I at least got to get my free game.[/quote]

You should be able to get back to the beta page by going to gog.com/beta, and re-entering your email and access code. You can only use it so many times though so make sure you set your browser to remember next time.

[quote name='Kurina']You should be able to get back to the beta page by going to gog.com/beta, and re-entering your email and access code. You can only use it so many times though so make sure you set your browser to remember next time.[/quote]

That's the problem. I thought that was how you were supposed to enter, so now I can't get in at all.

anyone know if you can get more than 1 free game? (without using a different account). i can't tell if it's always B1G1, or if it's just on your first purchase.

[quote name='daminion']anyone know if you can get more than 1 free game? (without using a different account). i can't tell if it's always B1G1, or if it's just on your first purchase.[/quote]

First purchase only for b1g1, can't keep reusing it. :(

bread's done
Back